Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I haven't played this game in probably a year, but I'm thinking I might pick it up and start fresh. I assume the Dark Arisen stuff comes into play after the base game's completed so I can put off buying it.

I know postgame everything basically goes to poo poo, does it stay that way when you do the BBI stuff or is BBI relatively nice and pretty again?

Also, any class suggestions? I think when I stopped playing my Assassin was fine tuned to perfection, I got like eight Ur-Dragon kills back when it was sub-100 and manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I might start playing this again, start from scratch and get the DLC and stuff.

I did see a video that made me laugh, though. Can someone explain why his framerate goes to absolute poo poo around 1:30? I'm not super familiar with how MK works but it looks kind of like the perfect block hits the orb and it triggers back and forth like eight times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf8DRVsUYeE

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's kind of what I thought. I like MKs and have messed with them a bit but I've always been terrible at perfect blocks.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So if I remember this game right, if you want to min/max and sperg out, you have to plan carefully from the beginning. I'm thinking about doing MK, so how should I plan out my character? I know they use a weird mix of magic and strength so I don't know exactly what I should do. Presumably start as a mage and then change to assassin or something asap. I have no idea how people usually do this, it's been a couple years since I last played.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

Optimal Magic Knight damage you'd be a sorcerer from level 10 to 100. However, don't bother unless you're on valium because it will increase your damage by like 8% or something and leveling will take way longer, when just the Sorcerer and Mage magic power augments equal 30% iirc.

So should I start as a fighter then? I enjoy all of the base classes, I just want someone to tell me what to do so I don't accidentally gently caress up somehow.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vargs posted:

This game is still perfectly playable solo even without the old ridiculous autonomy. I did it as a fighter even, with no ranged attacks, and had a blast. And the new DA content is fantastic.

I always assumed the base classes were somehow inferior to the hybrid ones. Is that not true? It seems like a fighter is more of a tank than anything else, but I could be completely wrong. I really like good sword/shield combat.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how do people usually deal with augments or whatever? Do you just pick a class and get it to 9 and then move on, or do you have ones that you suggest grabbing first?

This is frustrating because I used to know this.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
every loving quest i'm on wants me to kill goddamn ogres and my pawns and dumb assholes and i can't loving move around in this stupid mine gently caress ogres

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is it still possible to kill the online Ur-Dragon anymore? I used to have the full Abyssinal set (I lost my save from years ago) and I'd like to get it back, at least for posterity's sake.

I assume they reset it every so often, otherwise it should be on like it's millionth cycle.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So at this point, that should basically be the last thing I do? Darn, I love that set.

At least I can keep it for NG+

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sorcerers are fun. BBI isn't particularly difficult with one since I've usually got enough room to get casts off. Ideally I'd like to gear up and then do Hard Mode.

Is BBI gear completely random, or are there guaranteed drops? Am I just gonna have to farm/purify level 3s?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So if I get rid of my other pawns and change my pawn to a sorc i'm guaranteed magic weapons? That's handy.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
BBI is huge, what the hell.

Alright I'm in the Tower of Treasons Repaid. I think there are like five(?) zones left. I know there's another safe zone. Does that have a shortcut or am I just gonna have to make this run if I decide to leave and come back?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
-snip-

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 18, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi more dumb questions

i was checking the wiki and noticed some weapons are rewarded for killing the online ur-dragon, but that you don't have to provide the killing blow.

...how exactly does that work? You hit him a bit and when he finally dies (weeks later) you just get the equipment?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what the gently caress they want me to fight death and two giant gorecyclops at once? gently caress that, i'm leaving

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are there any preorder bonuses? I'd assume probably not but you never know.

I ended up taking my sorcerer down into Bitterblack and it was actually really fun, but I think I might do it as a Fighter. Hm.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kiggles posted:

Bitterblack is incredibly fun as a fighter or warrior. Just remember that you do not have to deal with every single encounter or kill every single NPC. Skip those that are either too difficult, or just too much of a pain (lich/wights).

They can be slow going compared to other classes, but there's something really satisfying about going toe-to-toe, especially if you are not very familiar with the dungeon yet.

I've soloed the first half of it on my Fighter, but there were a few encounters that were really obnoxious and also I didn't want to farm healing items and poo poo. If they mod in a second set of actions then I'd probably play Warrior.

New DD means new Ur-Dragon, right? I need to get to Everfall quickly so I can get in there and get an online kill. I have the Abyssinal Set on my assassin on xbox but that won't carry over.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wonder how rampant save editing will be, it's gonna be annoying seeing every single pawn with abyssinal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723048/dragons-dogma-music-video-intro-free-dangan-by-bz/

weirdly g4 is the only place i've found into free

who knew they'd be good for something

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know a lot of people hate sorcerer because of how "hit button and wait" it is but goddamn if you don't get a boner off of landing a Grand Gicel on something you clearly haven't played sorcerer

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

sicDaniel posted:

I once found a Grand Bolide skill ring on BBI. It was amazing. Killing a Hydra with one cast.

Regarding hard mode and late game, on my last character I played Hard Mode and used the Arisen's bond in postgame to max Fournivals affinity and used my gold to buy the exp charms from him. I used them for every big monster and got to around level 150 with some Everfall grinding and 2 or 3 trips through BBI.

Best way to do it is to get to a point where you can nuke the hell out of offline Ur and just farm him, it's insanely fast if you're geared enough.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Genocyber posted:

http://blog.gib.me/

Also dug into a lot of debug stuff for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

holy poo poo you're the gibbed guy

oh man i'm so excited if you get your hands on this you'll split it open like a coconut

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do you think if you download the leak and play it you can transfer a save over when the actual game comes out? I already bought it so I basically own the game already, but I figure if I can get a week of play in already I can get a really quick Ur kill in on release day.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
here's this for people looking for into free, i just made a sweet music video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1JUZFFi8M

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

havenwaters posted:

yeah that's instantly not available in the united states 'cause reasons. Oh well.

I'm IN the United States. How's that even possible?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
alright i'm gonna fix this poo poo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dexo posted:

You realize Content ID doesn't give a gently caress about what you name it or the contents of it. It's a direct comparison. Youtube picked up that the song was Dangan and then applied whatever copyright poo poo it needed to apply to it.

yeah i figured that out

oh well back to the g4 links

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm thinking about trying to speedrun this, preferably on NG Any% since NG+ runs are garbage and not fun. The problem is, I can't find a route at all. There are a few runs on youtube, but there are like 9 runs total on SDA and none of them discuss the run itself, which is irritating.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The wikia route is for speed run mode, which is basically just "how quickly can you port here" and is always done in NG+ with every item you need ready to go and portstones placed everywhere relevant.

Any% is more fun since you have to run everywhere and start from scratch. The route's weird, though, and has some bizarre quest manipulation. There are YouTube videos but both seem to take different routes. It's still basically "blast arrows forever" but there's weird stuff you can do with the early game, which is the hardest part to do right/quickly

Theoretically it takes about an hour. I've sketched out a rough route, I think

Start mage, easier to do early game (can heal ox, easier to kill hydra/ogre)
grab DA poo poo from inn in cassardis, sell for ~320k + grab eternal ferrystone
get to GS
buy potent green x9 and mushroom x1 (for first everfall shortcut)
grab wakestone quest from austine (for 2 shards)
do some weird platforming to drop down everfall
port to GS
buy like 20 greenwarish and like 100 large mushrooms (lots of running) + ranger weapons
swap to ranger, equip poo poo (biting wind, fireboon on pawn)
buy fuckton of periapts from baldy + wakestone shard
talk to max, grab text and cult quests
port to GS again (porting is faster than walking, usually)
turn in reaper's scorn (need the gold for maker's finger later)
shearing wind loving everywhere, head to dragonforged's cave for Cypher
grab bronze idol
shearing wind to crypt
zoom through catacombs, say hi to weird old guy
periapt up, kill everything asap (i think this might be faster as a mage in NG+ but with NG you wouldn't have shearing wind)
head back to GS, talk to Duke, grab griffin/trials quests
give caxton idol, grab sixfold arrow
buy a lot more mushrooms and blast arrows
kill griffin early, turn it in
sleep for a week, rip baldman
talk to mercedes and duke's guy
periapt blast arrow salomet, go kill julian on the way to salomet 2.0
get to tower, get up tower, shoot salomet again, loot tower while he's monologuing
port back, talk to guy, run to halfway, run back, kill cockatrice
go back, talk to guy, talk to duke in solar, grab duke, jump off, throw him into the room
break out of jail with skeleton key (i guess get the key above the stairs? haven't found faster way)
run into treasury, grab all the money, leave
slice up to the wall, kill poo poo blah blah blast arrows
head to toasty mountain (you can ignore talking to the dragonforged entirely)
pray chimera AI doesn't gently caress you
finger dargon
restock on poo poo from the apothecary and fourneval
warp back to GS, head into everfall from pawn's guild (you don't need to talk to the duke at all, weirdly)
jump off right side to closest chamber, kill the eye
leave room, turn around, walk right back in, pray RNG doesn't gently caress you
spend 15 minutes farming wakestones
go kill scheneschanal
godsbane
FIN

i tried it earlier and did it in about two-ish hours, which isn't terrible but could be a lot better. I don't know how similar that route is to the NG+ SRM route.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 13, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's also a Portcrystal I forgot about in the everfall part 1 (and in dragonforged cave) so if you drop one at windbluff that saves a bit of time, not sure where to drop the second one though....

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 13, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's probably the best place for it, yeah. That would save a decent amount of time.

Also I think just running is faster than Cutting wind spam, although it requires more mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm talking about an NG speedrun, not NG+

• Locked thread