Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Well grabbing him was impossible. He broke and started spinning in a tight circle and I got about twelve good grabs in before his AI fixed and he ran off to the church again and my arms go literally through him. You can only beat him unconscious and then grab him, even youtubes of people accomplishing it have them chasing him grabbing air for five minutes and eventually just beating the poo poo out of him and picking him up off the ground.

Yeah it's really hard, but I'm playing this for the first time now and I grabbed him without hitting him. You just need to time it a little bit early, the "whoosh" sound effect is when the grab activates. I followed the wiki's advice and just stood still outside of the inn instead of chasing after him. He literally just runs laps of the town. (checked the wiki after aforementioned Psycho Mantis bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Magus42 posted:

After failing two nights in a row I just beat him senseless to knock him down then picked him up for a victory.

Yeah, I assumed that I would fail the quest if I killed him. loving guy.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Krinkle posted:

???????
Everything in this post confuses me but then I did the tutorial six months ago and might have forgotten the part where you have two personal pawns and get to choose one to throw away. I have three pawns. Why is it a choice between one and two?

They start you with some random dude pawn named Rook, or at least mine was. Then you go to the riftstone and make your main pawn. The rest of his post is "I didn't try looking at the riftstone again"

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Mumblyfish posted:

I might get accused of missing the point of pawns, but I'd advise everyone try playing without any pawns at all, at least for a while. Just chuck your main pawn into the ocean then go on your merry way - enjoy the increased experience gain. Further abuse this by blowing all of your cash on - every penny - on a stack of Pilgrim's Charms as soon as you can, and revel in the flood of experience and gold that comes your way. The Autonomy augment got smacked down pretty fierce in Dark Arisen, but even at lv200 I prefer to play without pawns, and before hitting the level cap I would say it's a no-brainer.

The point of pawns is that while you dig into poo poo with your giant fuckoff sword, huge explosions randomly happen all around you and kill poo poo. That's half the charm of the game for me.

Also so you don't have to chase wolves around.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Got up to where you get the final quest and just found the Witchwood or whatever finally. They gave me quests about it when I first entered Gran Soren but they weren't on the map, what the hell.

This game is pretty cool but holy poo poo every quest that doesn't involve killing monsters is SO BAD. The stealth quest where the wiki said to avoid guards and detailed their routes and poo poo? I just ran right past them and they didn't notice me.

Also there was a quest with a basilisk where it's in town tromping around a field. There were 3 circles on the map, so I was like "What's this? Some gimmick I have to use to kill it?" It was some boxes so I destroyed them, some items came out, and the circle disappeared. So I went and destroyed the other two. Then at the end of the fight the dude yelled at me and said how disappointed he was in me that I failed to protect the goods THAT WERE NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE. Is it because I teleported into the city and missed some event at the gates?

Either way, combat is fun and the pawn system is fantastic, but everything involving talking to NPCs and quests is really awful.

Ara fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BlindNinja posted:

That did it. But it's supposed to refresh every time it sleeps right?

No, it just uploads your own pawn's data. It would be terrible if you had support pawns randomly changing class and such when you rested because their owner did it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BlueDestiny posted:

If you're a red vocation (fighter/warrior/assassin) you can also put staggering enemies into a full nelson hold. Their defense takes a MASSIVE reduction when you do this.

Ah, so this is what is happening when my dumbass pawns grab a lone goblin and yell that they'll hold him while everyone else just stands around.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Hahaha I randomly found a pawn who was made to look EXACTLY like Mercedes from the main storyline, the short-haired foreign chick with white armor and a rapier. It even has all of her equipment. PSN name of her is M9Bayonet

Ara fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 22, 2013

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Zurai posted:

That's actually the hard way. The easy way is to just climb up his back to his shoulder blades. He'll reach back to grab you but just grab his helmet instead. There's no timing or luck involved with this method.

I've only seen this work once in post-game. Because every other cyclops in the game was permanently lightning stunlocked from the moment it appeared until the moment it died.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Probably because he used it on the Hydra. If you cut off all the heads at once, it will slump to the ground and take way more damage from attacks.

He also said goat head, so I'm pretty sure he's just confused about mythical creatures.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Zombie Defiler posted:

This sounds pretty badass. Aside from what sounds like wandering into devilfire grove and getting stomped by the drake. He always hangs out there, you'll become good buddies eventually when you're chopping him up on a regular basis.

I never get swarms of giant monsters, I'm kind of jealous.

Eat a food/herb/item, use an inn, use a healing spring, have Regen augment/regen armor to recover clear health. Magic can restore grey health. Health is kind of fighting game-ish in this I like to think.

Just get near a riftstone to recover pawn health to full quickly.

EDIT: fucks sake level 110~ pawns should have all their gear dragonforged and not be wearing crappy hobo clothes like their master neglects them. This poo poo is shameful, like sending your kid to school wearing a potato sack or doing your resume in crayon and the crayon was held in your mouth while you wrote it.
I saw a level 50 mage a while ago who was wearing a thong and only had the two default spells memorized. And she was class level 9

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Cloche posted:

Same here. The first time I fought the archydra I managed to get about halfway through the fight before it swallowed up my Arisen, and KO'd my last pawn standing. Watching your character sloooowwly slide down a snake's gullet with absolutely nothing you can do about it is a really weirdly unsettling experience. :stare:

Wow, I killed it but always broke free when it bit me, I didn't know it could swallow you. Is that instant death or can you beat on its bowels?

I just kept the level 7 version of immolation on, held on to his necks and beat on him nonstop until he died.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

How do people get to level ∞?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm up to the final quest of the main game and I don't think I've ever used a curative item. Maybe it's just :effort: but I got used to running until almost tired, then jogging until that's back up, and repeat. My storage box has hundreds of crap items due to pawns and myself just picking up everything.

Question on hired pawns, if they pick poo poo up, or if I give them stuff to mule, and they get dismissed eventually, do they keep everything on them when dismissed or does it all go into my own storage? I'd hate to have a hired pawn hold on to something important only to lose it when I send them home.

Everything goes to storage even if they fall in a ravine and die. You can't lose items on them, don't worry.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

sitchelin posted:

Yea, it'll ask if you want to import your vanilla DD save. Then all the goodies will appear in your storage.

You can also start a new character after you see that message and you still get the stuff.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Ravenicus posted:

That's something I've never figured out either. Seeing my huge male guy go down on Fournival is something I would never change, though.

I think it has to do with how many quests you do for someone, and I believe there are gifts you can give to NPCs. Could be thinking of something else though.

Mine was the cleavage shopkeeper lady even though I never spoke to her outside of quests. The stats page said I had maximum points with two people, I think the other one might have been Fournival's daughter from completing her horrible quest so I think I dodged a bullet there.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

jonjonaug posted:

Two of the early main quests available allow you to find Portcrystals. One's in the Shadow Fort (select "Rout a monster infestation" while talking to the dude in front of the castle), the other is in the Dragonforged's cave (select "Decipher a text"). You'll find a fourth Portcrystal in a later main quest that takes you to that tower you can see way off in the distance that your Pawns comment on sometimes, and a fifth by completing an optional quest that takes you back to Witchwood.

Takes you BACK to Witchwood? I must have missed something because I never had to go there the whole game, found it by accident while filling in my map before going to fight the dragon. There was a quest to get the witch to make beer or something but it didn't give a map marker, how are you supposed to find the place initially?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Genocyber posted:

By doing the quest to find Quina that you get after killing the Hydra.

I definitely never got this quest, since I completed every quest I got except the night assassin thing.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Also you might miss quests involving Quina at the abbey too I dunno. Basically you're a jerk for ignoring your childhood friend and letting her get eaten by a wolf or something.

Oh, is that the woman who was at the very beginning of the game? I thought she was your wife or something, she never spoke to me or appeared again throughout the whole game so I figured it was just a throwaway character. I found an abbey in the woods but there wasn't anything to do there. I definitely don't remember ever seeing the name Quina, which I feel like I would remember since that's that fat food monster thing from Final Fantasy 9.

The story of this game is pretty much garbage, honestly. There's some cool stuff going on at the end but in general it feels like very little attention was paid to it. It's just a thrown-together framework to get you fighting monsters. I gave up on trying to be a completionist and seek out sidequests when I randomly failed that flower quest for walking 20 feet down the road at the very beginning.

edit: I get what the problem was. I have a VERY fuzzy recollection of the guy running up that you're talking about. I think he said he didn't know where Quina was, I thought "Who the gently caress is Quina?" and no further hints were given ever again.

Ara fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I wasn't expecting to get locked out of that. i'm told to go somewhere so I head towards it, this guy says that, I assume i'll find her on the way and it was a little bit of foreshadowing.

Yeah, this. A well-designed game wouldn't expect you to remember the name of an NPC who only had a single line of dialogue which was along the lines of "Get away from me," and then go BACKWARD from the direction the game is urging you to go with no hint except for that character's name to keep yourself from being locked out of a whole questline.

• Locked thread