Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Installing the game to my harddrive right now. This is taking quite a while!

When you transfer your demo characters to the main game, can you make some finishing touches to them? I think I want to lower my character's weight to medium since it appears him being a big beefy strongman is going to be detrimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

When people say this game is hard they're not joking. I'm in a dragon-infested area and have to avoid every fight to survive.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait, the Warrior class only gets to use 3 abilities?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is it possible to get more than three skills for the longsword?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I've been leveling Fighter and have unlocked some other skills like more advanced versions and this one where I hold a guy in place and gut him. Really useful on those spry enemies.

No no, I mean right now I can only put three skills in the primary weapon slot. Is it possible to unlock the secondary weapon slot and put more skills there?

Edit: This is for the Warrior class.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love the Warrior playstyle, I just hate the lack of abilities.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Holy crap, I just got to the Capital, and the jump in weapon & armour prices... :stare:

And here I was thinking I was pretty well-off with $30,000... is there a cheaper place to buy? Think I'll just stick with enhancing the gear I already have for now.

Money is easy to make, just keep doing quests.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where do you get Gut's armor?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

randombattle posted:

I had a skeleton key and still had to bribe him. Nothing would open beyond my cell door :(

I've heard you get the berserk armor from a quest outside the ancient quarry.

I did the quest to clean up the ancient quarry from a guy outside, but didn't get any armor sets.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MUMMYMTN posted:

To clarify, are you saying if you switch vocations you lose access to all previous vocation-unique skills other than augments? I was planning on maxing out my ranks in Strider before switching to Assassin, but if I'm just going to lose all my swanky Strider skills I guess it would be kind of pointless.

Only skills that don't share with the class you'll lose out on. For instance Assassin and Ranger will share some of the dagger combos with Strider, but not all of them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know where the swordsman armor is?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tricky posted:

Has anyone found a magic bow other than the one in the capitol shop when you first get there?

Yes, I just found one at a place called Soulflayer Canyon. I cannot really give directions to it. It's kind of out on an obscure place.

Anyone near the end game yet? I finished all of Ser Maximilian's quests outside the castle gates. Does the audience with the Duke start the end game? It gives a "Make sure you've done everything first".

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh my god.

Oh my GOD.

The quest "Arousing Suspicion" is loving intense. I pretty much made the same face my character did.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So Dragon's are pretty loving hardcore. My character is level 42, I'm stomping everything I meet left and right. I decided hey why not take on the dragon at the forest near the shadow fort?

He beat the poo poo out of me and called me names.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know where you can get:

The Soldier and Captain's suits of armor.

The Chestpiece that Mercedes is wearing.

A short white skirt.

Swordsman Armor?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zombie Defiler posted:

The swordsman armor is from the berserk shop in the quarry after you finish the quest there.

Thank god someone knows. Where is this shop exactly? I keep seeing "The Quarry" but where is "The Quarry" I know where the ancient quarry is.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 24, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mazed posted:

So, the worst thing I've heard about this game is that there's a lot of really tedious backtracking.

How bad is it? In a game like Dark Souls, the backtracking is actually a part of the gameplay pacing, and despite being open world, still has distinctive (if sometimes obscure) routes that you're funneled along, with specific obstacles that must be dealt with each time (arguably, said obstacles, and the necessity of carefully overcoming them, actually being one of the biggest hooks in terms of gameplay).

If Dragon's Dogma is more in the vein of an Elder Scrolls, with big open wilderness and such, is the lack of a quick-travel function something that only brings tedium and needless padding, or does it actually feel somewhat natural and deliberate?

There is a lot and lots and lots of backtracking. Sometimes it's cool, especially when you discover a new area or the game throws something new at you. Most of the time it's tedious. But it's just something you live with.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Little hint for anyone in their first few hours of the game: Whenever you get a chance, rest. Always rest. It's considered a checkpoint. If you're about to make a big decision in the game, rest. That way you won't lose hours of progress when returning to a checkpoint.

Edit: Does anyone know where that short white skirt is? Maiden's something or other.

Also, is there a difference between "The Ancient Quarry" and "The Quarry"? I'm really trying to find the Berserk armor vendors. :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

The ancient quarry is where the vendor is. He's outside the north entrance initially, once you do his quests to clear the quarry he opens up shop within.

Oh thank god. Thanks so much.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

StringOfLetters posted:

Is there any way to grab and hold an enemy? I see Pawns do it all the time, they hold back some dude's arms and say, hey risen stab this guy, but every time I successfully grab a man-sized enemy my risen just throws it over his shoulder like a sack. That's only useful when there's a ledge nearby.

Hold down on the grab button to do it like pawns do. Tap it to pick something up and throw it over your shoulder.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Anyone else who's at the endgame, can you give me some pointers?

I just beat The Elysian. I can tell already that "The Final Battle" quest leads to post-game content, but I seem to be missing a lot of stuff. "Nameless Terror" with Beware of Ambush is still going. I can't go past the gate in the arena at the Frontier Caverns it just says "enemies are close", I don't know how I get into the Blighted Manse. There is the lever for area right down from the boss battle at Bluemoon Tower that I couldn't find. So obviously I've got a lot to do, but is most of this stuff done after "the final boss" or what?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 24, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Thieves spoiler
How do I feed Ophis's pet cyclops? I tried kicking a goblin corpse into his pen, but it vanished.

I visited the den, how do you get this quest?

Edit: WOW, someone just gave a wakestone shard and 20k rift crystals. I know my companion is awesome, and keeps getting rated highly, but wow!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Speaking of Idols, what do I do with the Silver Idol?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

futureproof posted:

You can give it to Madeleine. I think she has a shop in Gran Soren. I'm pretty sure that the idols don't actually give you anything new, you just get discounts.

Giving an idol to Madeleine got me new items. And I gave a fake one to the weapon vendor in town. Whoops. Not to mention Madeleine got accused of treason and her shop is gone now. Well, at least I have this idol for new game+.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Don't worry the items she sold are findable elsewhere.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What do you do with the Arisen's Bond anyway?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

VDay posted:

Can someone who finished Arousing Suspicion spoil the end of it for me? I accidentally accepted the other guy's quest to go on the expedition and it cancelled that quest. I saw the first couple of cutscenes so I know about the choking and the decision to just stand there or walk out but what's the impact of what happens? Is it a major plot diversion or just a quick quest to decide that one character's fate?

This is a spoiler to a pretty good quest so don't read it if you haven't done Arousing Suspicion. I saved her. You fail the quest otherwise. If you save her you find out the king was mind controlled somehow and tried to kill her. She blames you for strolling into her bedchambers, and you're tortured. She comes in and apologizes for the betrayal and gives you the keys to escape. The quest is great, but unfortunately the king never treats you differently.

Later on you get another quest to save her in a castle. You have sex with her, then get her out of there. I don't know if things are different if you're female.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ah ha ha.

I like how this game really fucks with your morality. Doing the right thing sometimes can pay off dividends or ruin everyone's day.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

And the dread when the sun begins setting and you're a long way from a town or outpost. My god, the dread!

"For the night is dark, and full of terrors" is immediately what I think when it's starting to get dark in Dragon's Dogma and I'm miles away from my objective.

quote:

I'm wondering that Guts' sword might turn into the dragonslayer if it's forged because that description is spot on the description for the dragonslayer.

Sorry for the doublepost. I have a dragon forged guts sword, and no it does not. Guts is in the golden age arc in Dragon's Dogma.

All that happens to the sword is it gets really loving swole.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 25, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really have no problem switching myself and my pawn's classes. The first few levels of the vocation suck, but once you reach about level 6 the damage is just fine.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What do you do with the Arisen's bond anyway?

Also, I'm in the post game content, where is the lever to get to the other side of Bluemoon tower? Hell I'm not actually sure what I'm supposed to do, how do I get 20 wakestones?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know how you get through the gate at the bluemoon tower, first floor? It's on the other side of the boss area.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man I love this post game content that's really just a continuation of the story. What's great about this game is it's hard. Even though i'm not dying, I have the illusion of that I'm struggling to win these fights. I imagine at the end of fights with dragons my dude would be seriously coughing up a lung trying to catch a breath.

I have the worst luck with getting dragon forged stuff. I've killed like eight dragons, and nothings been dragon forged.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Don't you just smash the board barring it shut?

Wait, we're talking about the same gate right?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fizzil posted:

curious about that too, also has anyone managed to get into the blighted manse yet?

Yes I have, you have to save the princess. You get a quest outside the castle. I did this pre-Dragon fight.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know how to get past that gate at Bluemoon tower? The gate on the other side of the tower, after the boss fight. I've been trying for hours now. Mind you I'm at the post-main quest content.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Speaking of armored cyclops, is there a trick to breaking off their helmet armor? It feels really inconsistent in terms of how fast it can be broken off.

If you climb on the helmet, the Cyclops will take off his helmet to grab you. This is actually a problem with aggressive spell users as they'll just shock the hell out of the Cyclops and they'll never take off the helmet. Not to mention they take off the helmet and grab you really really quickly, so you basically have to take getting grabbed and hope your pawns stun the cyclops, or you break out of the hold.

It's great when they do take off the helmet though, because when they get knocked down you can just wail on their head for big boy damage.

Edit: I love the Assassin. I picture my character as a healthy and blond version of Guts with a mullet, but two handed swords is just so slow, and Warriors lack skills. Assassin is the best class I've played so far. When you get "Gouge" with swords, you start demolishing the bigger monsters. The Gouge skill makes it so when you grapple onto big monsters, you use the skill and you'll stab into them, if you hit their weak point you do serious damage. I've knocked off half a Wyvern's health with a full gauge of stamina before, and that was before I got a 1000 damage sword. I don't even have Gouge's upgrade yet either.

Edit: I don't think I've ever done the sword skill "Takedown" or "Dire Onslaught" from the core skills. How do these work exactly?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 27, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Giggily posted:

Breaking out of holds is nearly impossible in this game. I think I've done it once, and that's with years of Mario Party under my belt.

Yeah you gotta get lucky, or get the Egression augment from the Fighter class. I'm thinking about just keeping it in my augments forever at this point since Hellhounds are really good about taking me down.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man I've missed so many quests it looks like. Welp, when I get into new game+ I'll be able to see them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Place it somewhere outside Bluemoon for now because there's another quest later on that'll have you going back there.

Wait what quest are you talking about? I've never gotten it and I'm in the post-game content. I really want to get past that gate / locked door.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 28, 2012

• Locked thread