Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well this game looks excellent. Thinking I'll pick it up this weekend, assuming D3 can get its oily claws out of me. :v:

Any guesses/insight on difficulty so far? I feel like looking at some of that video it might be pretty Dark Souls in difficulty: soul-crushing at first, then quickly easier with some attention and learning.

Was that Two Steps from Hell music I heard in the Gametrailers review? Is that in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know you can switch classes in this game, but how does it actually work? Are you still going to want to start over to try something new anyway because your stats will be gobshite, or what?

(edit: oh, there seems to be some discussion in immediately preceding pages. Whoops.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

From what other people are saying, you should be fine as long as you don't choose a fighter/Mage and then get up to the 40s before switching and pull a 180 into the opposite class.

Yeah I just scrolled up some and noticed that. :downs:

It's kind of a killer for me though, because the tiny little corner of my brain that's an OCD minmaxer is going to bug me to restart to get the job done right. And the grass is always greener. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was reading the (extremely excellent!) OP to try to decide for the last time if I should go buy this, and

:stare: did that guy just light himself on fire then climb on the back of that chimera thing to do damage, that is black101 as hell :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How do the magic classes tend to play out? Sitting there channeling with lots of cast timers and cooldowns, or more mobile?

Also does the game have much in the way of tutorials or is it a real Dark Souls "here's some of the controls, have fun :vd:" sort of thing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So what class are people having the most fun actually playing as (versus delegating off to pawns) so far?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How is combat as a fighter or warrior? Seems from videos it'd be quite slow and deliberate, as opposed to frothing-mad berserk nonsense. (I have no idea which I'd prefer :v:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally decided to just buy the guddam game, and hahaha butt rock at the title screen. Oh lord I'm in for it. :v:

Now to work out what class to be... :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not butt rock it's j-rock. There's a difference...or so I am told.

My definition has always been "should be in a 3d sonic game" so yeah, butt rock. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just making sure before I get too far in, it doesn't really matter what I name/how I customize my main character, but my pawn becomes available for all and sundry to revile, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Crap, I've got two conflicting ideas on what to do with mine: David Xanatos or Angry Hobo. You can only ever have one pawn shared out, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hooray, angry hobo the fat pawn lives! :v:

There isn't any scaling on summoned pawns, is there? If I go through the goon list and summon someone's 40 pawn it's going to break the game, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Overemotional Robot posted:

You should be proud. That Angry Hobo just took down an armored cyclops (with a little help from the other pawns and I of course...)

But he's really holding his own. Also he got really excited when he killed a bandit earlier :3:

They grow up so fast... :shobon:

Do I have to pay the 1000 or whatever DP every time I want to change vocations, or is that a one-off 'unlock' payment?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just arrived at the main town, is there anything really important I should do before I begin the time honored tradition of faffing about?

Also, is there any reason not to go straight for the advanced/hybrid variety of classes if that's what I want to do? Do I need to stick to the basics for any reason?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 27, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are Striders/Assassins the ones who do most of the climbing on large monsters? I kind of want to play a Warrior but not at the expense of being unable to climb on the griffon's neck and stick my sword through it :black101:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just looked up some videos of sorcerer skills and uh, wow, I picked the wroooong class by going strider. :stare: :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I've had a try at all the classes, I feel like I know what is best in life: grabbing onto an ogre and not letting go until he dies of pure exasperation. And 57 stab wounds to the neck. :black101:

What class is best suited to this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm starting to get immensely frustrated here. How the hell am I supposed to tell if Bandit Group A is fish food and Bandit Group B is going to be more difficult to fight than a sodding ogre? I mean I know the DS comparisons are getting old by now but at least DS's enemies weren't sodding palette swaps. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Think I'm going to restart, I'm in way over my head at where I am and I'm only a few hours in anyway. Give me a chance to do my pawn and I's appearance right, too.

Just so I know, how far in to the game do I have to progress before I'm given freedom to do whatever? Feels like it's either the rift stone at the encampment, or getting the delivery to gran soren done.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there anywhere you can change Disciplines before getting to Gran Soren?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Questions about climbing, are any skills or abilities active while grappling the proverbial griffin*? Or is it limited to light or heavy attack no matter what class you play?

* heh. grappling the griffin. heh heh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How do hired pawn inventories work, anyway? Does the creator get anything I give him (or he picks up :argh:) when I let him go at a rift stone? If he dies? What about if I take his poo poo?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I probably should have checked this before I wiped out my character. Oops.

Do fighters or warriors have any recourse against stuff that flies besides waiting for your pawns to bring it down? I hate being made useless in certain situations in video games., so they're probably right out if they have no options.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Skyward Slash, or Shield Summons. :(

Personally I removed shield summon from my fighter, because she'd stand there all day bashing her shield at packs of goblins while everybody else rocked them. :(

Crapola. Guess I'll find out if my new Strider pawn Xanatos is up to the mark. :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sometimes my pawn'll grab hold of a goblin or harpy and hold him in front in a 'STAB THIS FUCKER' position. When I try to grab one though my guy just hauls it over his shoulder until it snaps out of it and breaks free. How can I do that grappling thing so my buddies can :ese:?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I started as Fighter this time around, I think. Do I need to spend any time as a Mage before changing to Mystic Knight?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do we know about what Dark Arisen is going to actually bring to the table as far as gameplay/quality of life improvements? I couldn't get more than five hours into the game, partly from decision paralysis over my class but MOSTLY because travel was a total loving bore after the first couple cross country treks. Something to improve that over the current limited fast travel system (or a revelation on how I totally failed to abuse it correctly :v:) would be great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Trying to convince myself to give this another try. Are any of the vocations particularly technical or complex? I was looking at magic knight and they look like they just spam attack on their orbs or whatever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, since I've got DA free on PS+, I'm gonna give this another shot. I only got an hour or two in the first time I tried before being distracted away, before Dark Arisen was out. While I'm poring through the (expansive!) OP, is there much I should know about the game or do right away?

Also, suggestions on the ever subjective fun of vocations or whatever? I am awful and have polished the art of indecisiveness to a fine sheen. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've gotten to the point of making my main pawn but now I'm a little lost. Do I get a chance to pick his class after answering these inclination questions? What class should I pick, if it matters hugely? (I picked Strider for myself, per the recommendations here--and he's named Jurgen so in lieu of a melta gun I figure a staff with which to burn things makes just as much sense :v:)

Any inclinations I want to set/avoid in particular or is that class dependent?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Masterful Kill

:stare: poo poo, I thought I was gonna be a Magick Archer for lighting myself on fire. Now I'm less sure :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MA and Assassin both come from Strider, right? At least that means I've got 10(?) levels to think about which I want :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know the game compensates for vocation changes by adjusting stat growth until you're caught up after a change, but is there a point where you can irrevocably gently caress yourself out of using a particular vocation?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Should I be making my way to Gran Soren before I start faffing about and doing side quests and stuff?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. Quina, and the well, were the ones I was specifically thinking of.

I don't start being able to get new abilities until Gran Soren though, right? Just having Threefold Bolt and Scarlet Kisses is pretty boring :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Should I be selling all my old crappy gear, or is there a reason to hang on to it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Killed a cyclops and cut the head off a hydra, then go into a well and get loving murderized by a couple of lizardmen things. I have no idea what I'm doing in this game :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 18, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jesus gently caress those bandits with shields. :stare:

How the hell am I supposed to get past them to the witchwood? If I try to run they just run faster and strike me down, and I can't face them in a fight. :(

(edit) Found a way past them to the wood. Still, jesus, that's a nasty and unforgiving surprise, especially if you haven't saved in a while. Goddamn travel times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is class stat growth really a thing I need to be thinking about all that much? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Buy(and ideally upgrade) the best available gear from the merchant you save outside Cassardis and you should be able to kill them no problem.

Where the hell did he get off to, anyway? I haven't seen him since first getting to the Encampment.

Also I'm all the way over in Gran Soren now and gently caress traveling :mad:

• Locked thread