Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"

seorin posted:

Suica will work on JR lines wherever you go, but it will not work on local lines once you get a certain distance away from Tokyo. In Osaka, for example, you won't be able to use the subways, nor ride the Hankyu or Keihan lines with it. You'll either have to buy tickets to ride those, or you can get the local card (Osaka/Kyoto use Icoca).
Really? The Suica Wikipedia Page seems to reckon it's interoperable with ICOCA (even out in Hiroshima) and vice versa on the ICOCA page. If the articles are wong someone should probably edit them as they got me all excited about my trip being easier. I've been trying to find an official site to confirm but inevitably they tend to be in Japanese. I'm not doubting you, just double-checking because of the conflicting information.

GTGastby posted:

2. Japan is not China. It's a 1st world country and you won't have any problems with the food anywhere.
Your advice was pretty helpful and I appreciate it but I'd question this one - getting food poisoning in a first World country is pretty easy if you eat at the wrong places, certainly do-able in the UK, Spain, Italy, Greece (much of Europe really) and the USA. Obviously that tends to happen when you eat somewhere a bit shady but my radar for shady tends to be off in Asia because a lot of the usual indicators are different - I'm more cautious in mainland China and Indonesia than in Hong Kong or Singapore but that was really based on my own assumptions about the country (and the quality of their tap water which is often key). Just wanted to get a sense of how careful I should be - from your advice it sounds like 'not at all - eat what you want' which is great but I certainly wouldn't have taken that as a given when travelling to any country solely on the basis of it being a developed nation (which is I assume what you meant by 'first world').

Also you mentioned whale on your list of foods, do you know what whale is generally on the menu in Japan? I've eaten Minke Whale in Iceland and it was pretty good.

zmcnulty posted:

I encourage you to budget about 1500 yen for lunch per day. No more, no less. Yes you can get fast food/Yoshinoya for cheaper, but by budgeting more you expand your options tenfold. You can get awesome lunches of tonkatsu, sushi, beef bowl, ramen, grilled fish, tempura, Japanese curry, whatever Japanese-y foods you want with this kind of budget. With just 500 yen, you're really limited.

By the same token, don't spend more than 1500 yen on lunch, since past that price point, the cost/benefit ratio goes down the shitter. If you want to splurge, do it at night.
This is really helpful - I'm not on a tiny back-packer shoestring budget but don't have money to burn either so a general sense of what's reasonable to expect is good to have. I'll aim for 1,500 and then just try whatever looks good.

One last question, should I be expecting Tokyo to be notably more expensive than the other cities or are they all relatively similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Jeremys Iron posted:

One last question, should I be expecting Tokyo to be notably more expensive than the other cities or are they all relatively similar?

Tokyo is both more expensive and less expensive. It depends on how 'low to the ground' you can live. The most significant homeless populations are in Tokyo (because of opportunity), and the richest people are there too (also because of opportunity).

Assuming you are not going to sleep outside, Tokyo's crush of population can still make things cheaper because there are more people's 'couches' on which to crash, not that anyone in Tokyo has couches unless they are rich. There are more foreigners to hook up with in Tokyo so there are more places to sleep for free, even if you cannot find Japanese people who want to adopt a gaijin for a day.

My biggest problems staying or traveling in Japan was always that portions of whatever are hard to deal with. Portions of food, portions of drink, portions of living space, portions of personal space. In Tokyo, where space is at an insane premium, there is absolutely no space for anything. Doorways often don't open wide enough to even walk through without turning sideways. Every form of transportation gets (potentially) packed to the point that it physically restricts breathing because people are not just pressed up against you, they are pressed into you, to the point where some people legs are not even touching the floor. Packed like sardines just does not happen in the US. In Tokyo it's standard fare.

On the other hand, there are public spaces (temples and parks) around every corner so when the crush gets too much you can go there.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
It sounds like he just wants to know if prices are any different.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Which they really aren't, for a regular tourist.

For the monopoly man tourist, you may want to make sure your monocle chain is firmly secure, since it will be popping off pretty frequently.

edit: and I personally think Tokyo has plenty of space, just don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not a problem for a tourist to avoid weekday rush hour for example.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 25, 2012

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

seorin posted:

If you mean you're living in Japan, you may also be interested in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484341

As for 4 nights in Nagasaki, my serious recommendation is to spend at least one of those nights visiting Ned up in Fukuoka. He will show you a good time.

Thanks for the heads up about the thread, I found it shortly after I found this one. It'll be three years exactly come this weekend, JET '09. I spent two years in Tottori prefecture, so I can help out if anyone is thinking of going there.

The problem with visiting Fukuoka, Hi Ned, besides that I've already booked accommodation, is that it tacks another 10,000 yen on to the budget for train tickets there and back. Fukuoka, with it's grand nights, Hakata ramen, and beautiful ladies, will have to wait.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Really? The Suica Wikipedia Page seems to reckon it's interoperable with ICOCA (even out in Hiroshima) and vice versa on the ICOCA page. If the articles are wong someone should probably edit them as they got me all excited about my trip being easier. I've been trying to find an official site to confirm but inevitably they tend to be in Japanese. I'm not doubting you, just double-checking because of the conflicting information.

The cards are interchangeable as long as you're using JR lines. My Suica doesn't work on Hanshin/Hankyu, so I picked up an Icoca. I tried that on the subway when I was in Fukuoka just for laughs, and as expected it didn't work. However, since this is all anecdotal, it's possible they got Suica deals with more local companies since I last tried it a few months ago. Be prepared for it to not work and give it a shot anyway; all that happens if it doesn't is the ticket gate beeps at you and flutters its ineffectual little gates shut.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

Your advice was pretty helpful and I appreciate it but I'd question this one - getting food poisoning in a first World country is pretty easy if you eat at the wrong places, certainly do-able in the UK, Spain, Italy, Greece (much of Europe really) and the USA. Obviously that tends to happen when you eat somewhere a bit shady but my radar for shady tends to be off in Asia because a lot of the usual indicators are different - I'm more cautious in mainland China and Indonesia than in Hong Kong or Singapore but that was really based on my own assumptions about the country (and the quality of their tap water which is often key). Just wanted to get a sense of how careful I should be - from your advice it sounds like 'not at all - eat what you want' which is great but I certainly wouldn't have taken that as a given when travelling to any country solely on the basis of it being a developed nation (which is I assume what you meant by 'first world').

Also you mentioned whale on your list of foods, do you know what whale is generally on the menu in Japan? I've eaten Minke Whale in Iceland and it was pretty good.

I don't know where you are eating that getting food poisoning is "pretty easy". Anyways, I'd argue that saying a place is a "first world country" is equivalent to saying "it's food standards will be similar to the US". My point was that Japan is not like the rest of Asia in regards to food quality.

Also, sorry if my use of "first world" offended you. Feel free to substitute "developed country", "advanced country", "industrialized country", "'more developed country" (MDC), "more economically developed country" (MEDC), "Global North country", "first world country", or "post-industrial country", as you will.

Anyways, yes, the water is perfectly fine. Use the same amount of caution as you would in the US, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, or the UK.

I'm not sure about the whale at all, unfortunately.

Ghostwalker
Jul 8, 2012
Hey folks back with another question (drat our cats!).

Reading into arriving with pets has tossed up a rather expensive dilemma after arrival at Narita.
Assuming the Cats clear customs right away we can't take them on the train with us as far as I can tell.

So far the best solution would be being picked up by our sponsor, but should he not be available the next solution I arrived at was a cab.
Which from Narita to Yokosuka is supposed to run an arm and a leg.

Is there another, cheaper, option than a cab that I missed?
It would need to accommodate 2 adults, a 4 year old, two kenneled cats and luggage.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Business of Ferrets posted:

It sounds like he just wants to know if prices are any different.

And in my experience they are both much higher and much lower, which is why I expanded upon that. I live cheap, so being in Tokyo was much less expensive than being in inaka Japan. But I also know that there are many people who think of Tokyo as being much more expensive.

Paying rent for just a parking space in Tokyo for a month can be ten times what renting a house is in inaka Kyushu, at chich house one can park twenty cars. Of course, poor people ride bicycles, not cars, and again those are cheaper in Tokyo.

Clothing and other stuff can be bought much, much cheaper in Tokyo. It can also be bought much much more expensively. Uniqlo is basically the same place to place, but the flea markets and discount stores in Japan are much cheaper than anything available in inaka Japan.

Same for food, etc.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ghostwalker posted:

Reading into arriving with pets has tossed up a rather expensive dilemma after arrival at Narita.
Assuming the Cats clear customs right away we can't take them on the train with us as far as I can tell.

So far the best solution would be being picked up by our sponsor, but should he not be available the next solution I arrived at was a cab.

It would need to accommodate 2 adults, a 4 year old, two kenneled cats and luggage.

I don't see any reason you couldn't take them on the train if they're in kennels, for all that it would be a hassle. Did you read a rule to that effect somewhere?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Ghostwalker posted:

(Have you done all the chipping and vaccinations? I'll assume so. Be aware that Japanese chip readers may or may not read your animals chip and if they cannot, then full quarantine will be required, including potential 'disposal' Apparently you can now bring your own chip reader, and as expensive as that may seem, quarantining them will be far more expensive.)

Bus services usually carry pets. Also, what LimburgLimbo said, as much of a PITA as it might be, trains carry pets in carriers IME.

But it is much easier to use the outstanding transport services available in every airport in Japan. Don't hesitate to usage the delivery services for your bags and for your pets. Arrive at the airport, claim your beasts and bags, go to Yamato desk, call your contact, and have him explain to the baggage service where to deliver your bags and beasts. They will be properly handled and you will have a lot less to deal with.

Your sponsor may be shelling out a bunch to come and get you (gas and tolls are insane in Japan), so to spending money to ship your bags and beasts is not really that much. Shipping luggage is why travel in Japan can be so amazingly awesome.

also:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060607220550AAcMpGt

http://www.mk-na.com/en/naritataxi.htm

That company offers 7 passenger vans which would carry the beasts just fine.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

My biggest problems staying or traveling in Japan was always that portions of whatever are hard to deal with. Portions of food, portions of drink, portions of living space, portions of personal space. In Tokyo, where space is at an insane premium, there is absolutely no space for anything. Doorways often don't open wide enough to even walk through without turning sideways. Every form of transportation gets (potentially) packed to the point that it physically restricts breathing because people are not just pressed up against you, they are pressed into you, to the point where some people legs are not even touching the floor. Packed like sardines just does not happen in the US. In Tokyo it's standard fare.

my-personal-hell.txt

Sooo.... Never going to Tokyo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

my-personal-hell.txt

He's kinda exaggerating. I've never come across a door I couldn't go through, and trains only get really packed at specific times.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

He's kinda exaggerating. I've never come across a door I couldn't go through, and trains only get really packed at specific times.

Getting through the door and getting through the door sideways are two separate issues.

In Tokyo, there are a shitload of second and above storey shops that do not allow human size people to pass through the doors without turning sideways. Many poor people apartments I was in both the front door and the bathroom door are that way, as are many of the staircases up the the apartments. Tiny Japanese girls can walk through. Human sized males cannot.

And that is not even covering the fact that many of the poor people's apartments themselves are small enough that a six footer can only choose one orientation to sleep in, and that covers most of the floor space from the back wall to the 'kitchen'.

There is a reason why Japanese people from Tokyo get confused at the size of even lovely little holes of apartments in the US. I have had bathrooms bigger than some of the Tokyo apartments I was in. Then again, I was in Japanese people's apartments. Maybe all gaijin apartments are human sized. The Japanese ones I was in were most definitely not. The houses were better but still doll sized.

On the other hand, some parts of inaka Japan have houses in which humans can easily live. One of the biggest (single story) houses I ever lived in was in Japan.

The trains get packed at the times when people want to ride them. Once you are there long enough, you might stop being weirded out by the fact that the stations actually have employees whose job consists of shoving people as hard as they can to get more people crammed onto the trains. But the minute you stop noticing that, you kind of have lost sight of how humans live outside of Tokyo.

If lack of space does not bother you, personally, then it does not. But telling someone, who thinks of such crowdedness as hellish, that it is not so bad as all that is kind of guaranteeing them unhappiness. Nothing is always just one way, but Tokyo has a bunch of absolutely claustrophobic crowded situations that are unavoidable, especially if one is not rich. I had rearrangeable time so I only rode on packed trains for the weirdness of it, but that meant I sometimes spent several hours waiting for a non-packed train, or just did not go home til morning.

If you don't need space you don't. I never thought I was so picky about it until I lived in Tokyo, when I realized I was.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

seorin posted:

The cards are interchangeable as long as you're using JR lines. My Suica doesn't work on Hanshin/Hankyu, so I picked up an Icoca. I tried that on the subway when I was in Fukuoka just for laughs, and as expected it didn't work. However, since this is all anecdotal, it's possible they got Suica deals with more local companies since I last tried it a few months ago. Be prepared for it to not work and give it a shot anyway; all that happens if it doesn't is the ticket gate beeps at you and flutters its ineffectual little gates shut.
So are JR lines just trains but not subways? (sorry still mastering the terminology) I had it in my head that Suica and ICOCA were for city transit systems like the subway, buses etc. (like Oyster in London or the Charlie card in Boston) so when Wikipedia said they were interoperable I thought that meant they'd work on each other's subway systems too. Is it just that they're interoperable on city trains (or JR lines) but not that other good stuff? Wikipedia reckons they started working together around 2008 so if this didn't work for you last month then it sounds like I may be out of luck. To clarify I'll likely be using the subway in Osaka and Kyoto, possibly Hiroshima.

*EDIT* found a travel forum and did some more googling - I hadn't realised that the JR lines were so limited. Seems like I'll just have to buy a day pass in Osaka and whatever they have in Kyoto (I'm assuming there's a similar card though I've yet to find details about it).

GTGastby posted:

I don't know where you are eating that getting food poisoning is "pretty easy". Anyways, I'd argue that saying a place is a "first world country" is equivalent to saying "it's food standards will be similar to the US". My point was that Japan is not like the rest of Asia in regards to food quality.

Also, sorry if my use of "first world" offended you. Feel free to substitute "developed country", "advanced country", "industrialized country", "'more developed country" (MDC), "more economically developed country" (MEDC), "Global North country", "first world country", or "post-industrial country", as you will.

Anyways, yes, the water is perfectly fine. Use the same amount of caution as you would in the US, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, or the UK.

I'm not sure about the whale at all, unfortunately.
You kinda chopped off all the context from my quote there - if you'd quoted the rest of sentence I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to say. Also I wasn't offended by your use of 'first world' I was just trying to make sure I understood what you were saying as the term does have multiple meanings. I put the note in there in case you got frustrated that I'd misunderstood you, instead you seem to have become frustrated by me asking to confirm so it seems like I hosed up there. Very sorry.

Jeremys Iron fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 25, 2012

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What the hell. Yes there are some small spaces in Tokyo but it's not like you have to deal with them in daily life unless:
1) you are too lazy to research rush hour traffic
2) you goto obscure shops where apparently people are unable to even shop
3) you hang out in poor people's apartments daily

Even on weekends it's just a matter of knowing how to avoid crowds. In any case nothing that a tourist has to deal with, where did this discussion even come from?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Kapalama seems to have a lot of unique experiences and ideas regarding Japan.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ganguro King posted:

Kapalama seems to have a lot of unique experiences and ideas regarding Japan.

It makes more sense if you pretend this is 1982.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

What the hell. Yes there are some small spaces in Tokyo but it's not like you have to deal with them in daily life unless:
1) you are too lazy to research rush hour traffic
2) you goto obscure shops where apparently people are unable to even shop
3) you hang out in poor people's apartments daily

Dunno, I don't even think rush hour traffic is that bad. Sure it's crowded, but there are still ways to get your space.

Also, obscure shops really aren't that tiny either. Poor people's apartments can be particular poor, but that's certainly not going to happen if you find an excuse to travel to Japan on a vacation.

So uh, stop bullshitting please, kapalama.

*EDIT* so I kid. Now I remember... It can be pretty bad if you happen to weigh 400 pounds, but I've only seen very few people who weigh 400 pounds in Tokyo, and all of them were foreigners.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 26, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Jeremys Iron posted:

So are JR lines just trains but not subways? (sorry still mastering the terminology) I had it in my head that Suica and ICOCA were for city transit systems like the subway, buses etc. (like Oyster in London or the Charlie card in Boston) so when Wikipedia said they were interoperable I thought that meant they'd work on each other's subway systems too. Is it just that they're interoperable on city trains (or JR lines) but not that other good stuff? Wikipedia reckons they started working together around 2008 so if this didn't work for you last month then it sounds like I may be out of luck. To clarify I'll likely be using the subway in Osaka and Kyoto, possibly Hiroshima.

*EDIT* found a travel forum and did some more googling - I hadn't realised that the JR lines were so limited. Seems like I'll just have to buy a day pass in Osaka and whatever they have in Kyoto (I'm assuming there's a similar card though I've yet to find details about it).

By "JR lines" I just mean any train or subway (if they do subways?) operated by the Japan Rail company, which is the company that sells the Suica and several other IC cards. When JR's IC cards work on another company's trains, it's via an agreement between JR and that company, and in most cases they'll only take the local card (hence Icoca in Kansai, which does work on trains, subways, and I think even buses, though I haven't tried there).

Kyoto does have a card you can buy which will work on both buses and subways, and they also have a very cheap (500 yen?) one day pass for buses, with an excellent bus system. You can also pick up an Icoca card from the ticketing machine at any major train station and use that in Kyoto and Osaka if you want. It's only 2000 yen and it comes with 1500 yen already loaded onto it, which you'll easily use if you spend only one day each in Kyoto and Osaka. Touristy type passes may be cheaper still, though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

It makes more sense if you pretend this is 1982.

What happened in 1983?

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

You kinda chopped off all the context from my quote there - if you'd quoted the rest of sentence I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to say. Also I wasn't offended by your use of 'first world' I was just trying to make sure I understood what you were saying as the term does have multiple meanings. I put the note in there in case you got frustrated that I'd misunderstood you, instead you seem to have become frustrated by me asking to confirm so it seems like I hosed up there. Very sorry.

No worries. I was a bit flippant in my original reply, I suppose. Basically, I was trying to say the Japan doesn't have problems with their food or water, like most other first world, developed, civilized countries. I should've just said that.

And yeah, ignore everything Kapalama says. He is literally the only person on SA that I bothered to put on my ignore list. He's a crazy person.

"to the point where some people legs are not even touching the floor" hahahaha. How would this even work? Oh no, I can't fit on the train, let me just jump inside. Or are you saying people already standing on the train get lifted into the air somehow because other people (human people) push into them? I won't even bother with the rest of his post.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

GTGastby posted:

"to the point where some people legs are not even touching the floor" hahahaha. How would this even work? Oh no, I can't fit on the train, let me just jump inside. Or are you saying people already standing on the train get lifted into the air somehow because other people (human people) push into them? I won't even bother with the rest of his post.

I mean, this can actually happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwbPdF5dIgQ

But it's hardly an everyday thing.

This, though:

kapalama posted:

If lack of space does not bother you, personally, then it does not. But telling someone, who thinks of such crowdedness as hellish, that it is not so bad as all that is kind of guaranteeing them unhappiness. Nothing is always just one way, but Tokyo has a bunch of absolutely claustrophobic crowded situations that are unavoidable, especially if one is not rich. I had rearrangeable time so I only rode on packed trains for the weirdness of it, but that meant I sometimes spent several hours waiting for a non-packed train, or just did not go home til morning.

Is loving weird. Didn't go home till morning... just because of the trains. You're legitimately a crazy person.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
quote is not edit

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 26, 2012

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Wow, you chose some really terrible examples. That last song in particular is a cover of a type of music that was very popular in the 90s but has long since been dead so using it as an example of current pop music is ignorant. It's like talking about American music and saying that poo poo like Hanson or Ricky Martin is what's big now. Even if you throw in crap like AKB and Arashi, would you describe the entire American music industry as being representative of their top 5 Billboard pop songs?

Here are some songs that are actually currently popular, like them or not they're a hell of a lot more relevant than what was put up earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0gfvg0IdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HGFly2kO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmrZfdvhgk

There is plenty of fantastic Japanese music out there, encompassing all sorts of genres, from mainstream to indie.

ntan1 posted:

Dunno, I don't even think rush hour traffic is that bad. Sure it's crowded, but there are still ways to get your space.

Heheh, try taking the Saikyo line during the rush-hour, you literally can't even move due to the crowds, and it's guaranteed that it's going to stop at some points. The Tobu-toju and Seibu lines can also get pretty horrendous if you take the express lines. Really though, most of the bad commuting lines are the ones where people travel from the outside of Tokyo to the inside, like from Saitama or west Tokyo, not lines that most tourists will need to take and it's unlikely that they'll be traveling during rush-hour times anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dude wanted some "unique music that you generally can't find in other countries" so I sorted him out. :dealwithit:

Also nobody said anything about what's currently popular or record sales charts or anything so I don't know why you're spergin' about that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There's a Super Mario Sunshine joke somewhere in that post between "Shine" and "flyingGet" but I'm too lazy to think of it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Original_Z posted:

Heheh, try taking the Saikyo line during the rush-hour, you literally can't even move due to the crowds, and it's guaranteed that it's going to stop at some points. The Tobu-toju and Seibu lines can also get pretty horrendous if you take the express lines. Really though, most of the bad commuting lines are the ones where people travel from the outside of Tokyo to the inside, like from Saitama or west Tokyo, not lines that most tourists will need to take and it's unlikely that they'll be traveling during rush-hour times anyway.

Actually, not all of the west ones are that bad. Toyoko/Meguro are easily passable.

But yeah, secret trick to morning commute is to find the train that's as far as possible from the crowded entrances. Also, arrive 10-15 minutes *before* the express departs if you have to.

But yes, some of the worst ones stop at shinjuku.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kapalama posted:

What happened in 1983?

Your train became so packed with Tokyo commuters that it finally derailed.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sheep posted:

Dude wanted some "unique music that you generally can't find in other countries" so I sorted him out. :dealwithit:

Also nobody said anything about what's currently popular or record sales charts or anything so I don't know why you're spergin' about that.

Eh, linking an outdated band that was never really that popular as an example of pop music is just a really questionable decision, along with putting hiphop as examples of unique Japanese music. It's just that most people are really ignorant about the Japanese music scene, they post some idol poo poo as an example, people see it and assume that's what the Japanese listen to, and the cycle continues. Japan has such a deep music scene but most foreigners are completely ignorant of it, or those who are interested only listen to idol groups.

If someone wanted to find something uniquely Japanese that's difficult to find in other countries, I would probably recommend Enka.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You're nuts, if there's one thing that lots of foreigners (especially ones not even living in Japan) are all into, aside from anime, it's the Japanese music scene. All of those random anime torrent sites are slam full with obscure Japanese music. I will admit that that's how I got my first in listening to lots of not-very-ma

Enka is a good suggestion, though. Yoshi Ikuzo is awesome, and I unironically have some Maegawa Kiyoshi on my ipod.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 26, 2012

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
There's some commercial that plays a lot, it's a Docomo commercial I think, with an older male singer that helps some chick translate so she can talk to a guy. I know I'm being vague but I seriously have trouble remembering that guy's name.

His music isn't bad to be honest, its pretty easy listening. It's probably the only music I've heard so far on the TV that wasn't completely irritating (ala AKB48 or Kara or aaaaaa my ears, AKB just came on aaaaaa)

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Original_Z posted:

There is plenty of fantastic Japanese music out there, encompassing all sorts of genres, from mainstream to indie.

There is some pretty good jazz coming out of japan as well. This example is a bit older and pretty mainstream, but still a pretty good listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3RWEpVI9Xw

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

GTGastby posted:

Have you ever been to Tokyo? (Serious question.)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rafzakael posted:

There's some commercial that plays a lot, it's a Docomo commercial I think, with an older male singer that helps some chick translate so she can talk to a guy. I know I'm being vague but I seriously have trouble remembering that guy's name.

His music isn't bad to be honest, its pretty easy listening. It's probably the only music I've heard so far on the TV that wasn't completely irritating (ala AKB48 or Kara or aaaaaa my ears, AKB just came on aaaaaa)

If it's Docomo, it's likely Kuwata Keisuke. That guy's been around forever, I'm not a huge fan of him (liked him more when he was in the Southern All Stars), but I definitely respect what he's done. His music is inoffensive and he's earned his place in Jmusic history.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Original_Z posted:

If it's Docomo, it's likely Kuwata Keisuke. That guy's been around forever, I'm not a huge fan of him (liked him more when he was in the Southern All Stars), but I definitely respect what he's done. His music is inoffensive and he's earned his place in Jmusic history.

That's the guy. Yeah he's really not that bad. I actually find myself humming his songs a few times while I'm out and about.

My fiance and her family like American pop and rap, and try their best not to listen to anything else. :negative:

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Toussaint Louverture posted:

my-personal-hell.txt

It's totally wrong so don't worry.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for these too - if you guys could keep arguing about music and posting relevant links that'd be perfect for what I'm after.

In terms of genres I guess I'd be interested in the best or most representative (appreciate it's subjective) of a few genres, like rock, hip-hop, pop, acoustic indie stuff and feel free to throw in some artsy weird poo poo too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Howdy from Kpop land, I just heard rumor of there being a crazy sale going on for the ferry between Fukuoka and Busan. Something like 99K won, $90, 6,700 yen, but I don't know if that is roundtrip or not or if it is really a thing. Has anyone heard about this?

On a related note, not sure if Ned is still around, but I had the crazy idea of just popping over to Fukuoka on the ferry (especially if it is that price for roundtrip) and putzing around the island. Great idea or Greatest idea? My Japanese skills are functionally zero, though I picked up some basic phrases while I was losing all my money there last time, so I guess I'll just do that again. I think you have to leave and arrive on a wednesday or friday for the sale, or so I heard. 5-7 days near Fukuoka?

LimburgLimbo posted:

So, think of it like Seoul during the busy times. Get on the subway and make sure you find a way to give yourself enough room to breathe and preferably a way to get out once it stops. I have had buses where we put so many people on that the driver couldn't open the door until we spent a few minutes readjusting.

The important question, in Tokyo do you have old Japanese ladies punching you in the gut to move when it is sardine crowded. Or practicing football sled exercises?

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

DontAskKant posted:

On a related note, not sure if Ned is still around, but I had the crazy idea of just popping over to Fukuoka on the ferry (especially if it is that price for roundtrip) and putzing around the island. Great idea or Greatest idea? My Japanese skills are functionally zero, though I picked up some basic phrases while I was losing all my money there last time, so I guess I'll just do that again. I think you have to leave and arrive on a wednesday or friday for the sale, or so I heard. 5-7 days near Fukuoka?

Do it! Fukuoka is not too expensive and we have an extra room.

• Locked thread