Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Fake Edit: Been typing down all the names, but Oren beat me to it. I'd just like to say that Sonya's family name is Nevermind. Also, shouldn't her name be spelled as Sonia or something, since it's written with ア instead of ャ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

Fake Edit: Been typing down all the names, but Oren beat me to it. I'd just like to say that Sonya's family name is Nevermind. Also, shouldn't her name be spelled as Sonia or something, since it's written with ア instead of ャ?

Yeah, you're right. My mind was somewhere else.

I prefer "translating" foreign names the way they're usually written in English and not as a direct transcription of the katakana used.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So it seems that Togami, and maybe Naegi, survived DR1- everyone else died, I assume, that's sad. I hope the journo survives; as a Journalism major, I need to stick up for my sisters and brothers :colbert: ! As for first victim, I'm saying either the princess or music club member, as they seem the most vulnerable. If there's a mastermind here, my bet's on Togami, and Pinkorabbit's Naegi.

EDIT: Fixed my tags, hopefully nobody saw my gaffe.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 30, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

One thing I want to say is that the names of the new characters feel different from the ones used in DR1. Most of the DR2 names give me an Ace Attorney jokey naming vibe, while DR1 went (for the most part) for more realistic sounding names.

strawberrymacaron
Feb 14, 2012

orenronen posted:

One thing I want to say is that the names of the new characters feel different from the ones used in DR1. Most of the DR2 names give me an Ace Attorney jokey naming vibe, while DR1 went (for the most part) for more realistic sounding names.

Yeah there is the K-On reference. And Sugita's connection to Sunrise, inside the Gundam franchise and in Gintama, which makes gags about said franchise. Everything's an in-joke.

. . . it took me three reads to realize I parsed things backwards. Edited.

strawberrymacaron fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 30, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I gotta say, the Team Manager looks to be a riot of the cast. All of them look pretty boss, though from how the gymnast looks similar to Asahina, and both of them practice sports, it seems eerie how similar they are to each other. Not saying they're the same, probably just related, for all I know. I also gotta get my hands on Dangan Ronpa Zero and check that out, and see what it adds to the plot of this franchise.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Togami got faaaaaat :btroll:

I'm pretty geeked for the SHSL K-On! Reference and Domon becoming Gundam. And Misato being swordswoman Fukawa.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Now that we have known the DR2 cast's talents, it is time to examine the trailer again to see who will get executed!

There is several scenes in the end that look like executions:

- Monobear piloting a helicopter shooting bullets
- A group of robot in feudel Japanese armour
- A cliff with some waves stylised to look like this picture
- A horde of charging animals with Monobear sitting on one of them (a bull, to be exact)

Given that the executions are meant to match the specialty, I predict that the following students will be murderers:

SHSL Traditional Japanese Dancer Hiyoko Saionji (Suzuko Mimori)
SHSL Mechanic Kazuichi Souda (Yoshimasa Hosoya)
SHSL Animal Trainer Gundam Tanaka (Tomokazu Sugita)
SHSL Swordswoman Peko Pekoyama (Kotono Mitsuishi)

DR1 Spoiler: I think Togami will either be killed or the mastermind this time. Previous survivors have a very high death rate in this genre.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Or maybe it's just misdirection- after all, if we went by the demo, Hagakure would have been our first murderer, and Maizono the love interest.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Or maybe it's just misdirection- after all, if we went by the demo, Hagakure would have been our first murderer, and Maizono the love interest.

Hagakure is the first victim in the demo. ;)

I am saying this based on a comparison of the DR1 trailer and the executions we have seen thus far - they reused Leon's and Celes's execution scenes there, so I think it is quite possible that they will be doing the same here. The cliff/wave scene could be a misdirection though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

Hagakure is the first victim in the demo. ;)

Whoopsie :downs: All right, I'll give you the DR1 spoilers, but DR2's? Maybe they know what we'd be looking outn for, hence the additional misdirection this time.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

All right, I'll give you the DR1 spoilers, but DR2's? Maybe they know what we'd be looking outn for, hence the additional misdirection this time.

The scenes are in the same exaggerated style as DR1 execution scenes though, and I doubt that they are all fake.

However, there is another way for the trailer to be misleading: Monobear may design its execution based on subtler traits - for instance, burning Celes on a stake as she has a witch-like character.

(DR1 Visual Art Book spoiler) Remember Oren saying that the visual art book has included details for every student's execution? There is an unused one that hit right on the chief motivation of the said student, which is only revealed during Free Time Activities with him/her. I wonder if DR2 will do something like that for an in-game execution.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I wonder if SHSL Gamer's gaming skills are going to be enough to go full meta, channeling all the goon speculation that's going on in the threads. Maybe she's even going to mention the first game? Seems likely with such an air-headed character.

Also, I just remembered that SHSL Cook and Kobayakawa Hideaki from Sengoku Basara have the same VA. They even look similar!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

(DR1 Visual Art Book spoiler) Remember Oren saying that the visual art book has included details for every student's execution? There is an unused one that hit right on the chief motivation of the said student, which is only revealed during Free Time Activities with him/her. I wonder if DR2 will do something like that for an in-game execution.

I'm hoping DR2 allows us to get to know the students better; from what I've seen of DR1, you never really get to know your friends unless you savescum like hell.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I'm hoping DR2 allows us to get to know the students better; from what I've seen of DR1, you never really get to know your friends unless you savescum like hell.

I am afraid we will still learn about the students mostly via Free Time Activities / savescum. This is what gives DR1 replayable value after all.

Do you think there will be a branching storyline in DR2, by the way?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

I am afraid we will still learn about the students mostly via Free Time Activities / savescum. This is what gives DR1 replayable value after all.

Do you think there will be a branching storyline in DR2, by the way?

I know absolutely jack and poo poo about the DS, but I hope there's enough room/memory/bitcoins that will allow us some way to 'pick' murderers and their victims; maybe the characters we spend Free Time and/or build relationships with will be guaranteed survivors? Or are you thinking about choosing to side between Monobear and Pinkobear (what's her name again)?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 31, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I was thinking on the line of "Talk with <student> more to prevent him/her to kill/break down" kind of deal. Using DR1 as an example, if you have talked to Ishimaru enough in early chapters, he would not go Ishida on Chapter 3 and someone else dies instead.

Another idea would be interacting with certain environmental items to enable/disable certain murders.

But I guess either idea would consume too much memory, so... :sigh:.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Oren said it previously, the Free Time activities don't really affect much with the plot, it really rairoads you into plot points, for the lack of a better term. I could see what both you Jeek and Commissar want though, and it sounds like a neat idea. It reminds me of the Fate System a little in Devil Survivor 2, actually...

And the pink rabbit's Monomi. I had a theory about her existance, but part of my opinion ALSO spoils a twist in DR1 that's pretty big!, and I'm not sure if anyone would like that since the LP's far from that.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I think the Dangan Ronpa team are very much interested in telling their single, coherent story and not in playing around with branching and multiple endings.

One thing I read somewhere is that DR2 is going to involve Hope's Peak Academy's history and inner workings. That's something they started to explore in Zero - in fact, there's one major plot thread in Zero that's left completely unresolved by the book's end and I'm almost certain is a setup for DR2.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

I think the Dangan Ronpa team are very much interested in telling their single, coherent story and not in playing around with branching and multiple endings.

Aw :(

orenronen posted:

One thing I read somewhere is that DR2 is going to involve Hope's Peak Academy's history and inner workings. That's something they started to explore in Zero - in fact, there's one major plot thread in Zero that's left completely unresolved by the book's end and I'm almost certain is a setup for DR2.

So it's more than just an academy for gifted kids, then? Government super-soldier creation facility confirmed. Pack it in boys, no need to buy DR2, I blew this case wide open :smug:

But seriously, the thought of Hope's Peak being more than a school for the gifted is quite intruiging, and can lend credence to a theory of mine- one I would like confirmation on, if it's not too much trouble, as it's the plot of the Great CommisarMegan Novel™ I've been working on in my spare time:

See, I'm thinking that humanity has been wiped out, and that the 'students' are among a massive group of SHSL survivors, kept in stasis because they're quite frankly, prime breeding material and highly talented as well, perfect for repopulating the Earth. However, the master computer's programming is failing, and is putting these kids through a series of trials, literal and otherwise, to ensure that only the fittest of both mind and body survive.

Does this match with anything from DR1, or what you've read about 2? It would be able to explain why Monobear might appear in 2 despite being defeated in 1 (come on, like we don't see THAT coming). Heck, 'Hope's Peak' itself sounds just like the kind of name one would give a program to rebuild humanity after the Earth has been reduced to a wasteland ruled by the Nitro Lords.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

Oh well. *shrugs*

quote:

Does it involve the creation of Monobear or the Worldwide Network of Ultimate Despair (TM) that is certainly needed for a project like what we have seen on DR1? :v:

(DR1 Spoiler)By the way, you said DR2 Togami is the same one in DR1. Is there proof on that other than the two having the same name, however? As the heir to the Illuminati, he probably have a bunch of body doubles, and I suspect he would be ultra-careful to not get caught by Monobear again after DR1's events.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 31, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

(DR1 Spoiler)By the way, you said DR2 Togami is the same one in DR1. Is there proof on that other than the two having the same name, however? As the heir to the Illuminati, he probably have a bunch of body doubles, and I suspect he would be ultra-careful to not get caught by Monobear again after DR1's events.

But maybe he wasn't caught. Maybe he [i]wanted to be here... :tinfoil:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

But maybe he wasn't caught. Maybe he wanted to be here... :tinfoil:
Pretty much this. He did swear to defeat Monobear, and Monobear is still here, so yeah.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And now he's got an extra layer of fat (or two) to cushion him against stabbings, blunt weapons and maybe even absorb poison! He's inveenceebul! :v:

It'd be great to have him be a recurring character throughout the series.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

But maybe he wasn't caught. Maybe he wanted to be here... :tinfoil:

A problem with this theory is that he already have a series of Free Time Activities in DR1 - if DR2 Togami is indeed him, what would be left for us to discover about him?

By the way, the pixiv fanartists are starting to make their own predictions on DR2. Nothing crazy so far, unfortunately, except one who thinks that the Traditional Japanese Dancer would be the mastermind.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

A problem with this theory is that he already have a series of Free Time Activities in DR1 - if DR2 Togami is indeed him, what would be left for us to discover about him?

His new motives, perhaps? Whatever happened between DR1 and 2? Assuming Flaky Dude isn't Naegi, and assuming Naegi survives DR1 at the very least, what happened to him? If there are any more survivors, what happened to them? Maybe Togami could be the 'hint' dude like Kirigiri is here, and your Free Time events could focus around 'how do you know so much'?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

His new motives, perhaps? Whatever happened between DR1 and 2? Assuming Flaky Dude isn't Naegi, and assuming Naegi survives DR1 at the very least, what happened to him? If there are any more survivors, what happened to them? Maybe Togami could be the 'hint' dude like Kirigiri is here, and your Free Time events could focus around 'how do you know so much'?

That is another possibility.

By the way, Spike released the birthdays for all 15 students, which is as listed below. At least one of them is a Free Time Activity spoiler, however, so proceed with caution.

Leon: January 3
Naegi: February 5
Fuwaka: March 3
Chihiro: March 14
Aoi: April 24
Togami: May 5
Mondo: June 9
Maizono: July 7
Hagakure: July 25
Ishimaru: August 31
Sakura: September 13
Kirigiri: October 6
Celes: November 23
Junko: December 24
Yamada: December 31

Observation on the birthdays:

- Chihiro's birthday is on 3/14 (i.e. pi day) - fitting for a computer wiz like him.
- Going by names alone, you'd think that it is easy to guess the seasons in which Sakura, Ishimaru (whose first name includes a character meaning "summer") and Fukawa (whose first name includes a character meaning "winter") are born, but it seems like Spike is steering clear from the obvious, with Fukawa's birthday in spring, Ishimaru's in (really) late summer and Sakura's in early autumn.
- As mentioned by orenronen, Yamada's first name (Hifumi) literally means "1-2-3". That is well-reflected on his birthday as well.

strawberrymacaron
Feb 14, 2012

Jeek posted:

Observation on the birthdays:

- Going by names alone, you'd think that it is easy to guess the seasons in which Sakura, Ishimaru (whose first name includes a character meaning "summer") and Fukawa (whose first name includes a character meaning "winter") are born, but it seems like Spike is steering clear from the obvious, with Fukawa's birthday in spring, Ishimaru's in (really) late summer and Sakura's in early autumn.

I'm guessing the birthdays could be more related to western astrology, especially since Japan is pretty big on that.
Ishimaru is a Leo, which are stereotypically viewed as proud and hot-blooded. Fukawa is a Pisces, who are supposed to be idealistic dreamers (she does sort of lose herself in her fantasies of Togami).

(DR 1; chapter 2 reference) Sakura is hard-working and modest, traits often attributed to Virgos. They are sometimes portrayed stereotypically as prudes (her blowup over Chihiro's sex comes to mind).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Heads up: The DR2 official site just updated with the new characters and cover art (which is quite nifty!).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

Heads up: The DR2 official site just updated with the new characters and cover art (which is quite nifty!).
I expected them to have those nifty illustrations already, but there are only sprites, huh. I remember hearing that the illustrations are going to be revealed on June 14th, so let's wait till then.

Kinda unrelated, but I remember Sugita-kun calling Dangan Ronpa one of his favorite games of 2010. Cool thing that he's voicing a character for the sequel now.

And the character whose birthday is closest to mine is Fukawa. For some reason, I'm not surprised.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This might be an odd question, but do any of you know of some method of retrieving the music from the DR2 site? Retrieving meaning buying/on YouTube rather than tearing apart the HTML to get at it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I expected them to have those nifty illustrations already, but there are only sprites, huh. I remember hearing that the illustrations are going to be revealed on June 14th, so let's wait till then.

If you missed it, note that you can push the button with the Monobear silhouette on a character screen to see a full-body image.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Togami's birthday being on Children's Day got a kick out of me. I dunno, he doesn't seem to be all that childish, unless the day has more to it than that.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

If you missed it, note that you can push the button with the Monobear silhouette on a character screen to see a full-body image.
Yeah, but it's just a full-body shot, and I meant the illustrations that show their SHSL skills, like four-armed Yamada in his natural habitat and other stuff like that.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The best part about the new information is that I actually recognize the obscure gaming trivia SHSL Gamer Nanami's example dialogue is referencing. Does anyone else?

"It was based on an orthodox baseball manga, but they turned it into a side-scrolling action game... That just ain't right."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
...Can i buy a vowel? Honestly, I haven't the foggiest :shobon:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

The best part about the new information is that I actually recognize the obscure gaming trivia SHSL Gamer Nanami's example dialogue is referencing. Does anyone else?

"It was based on an orthodox baseball manga, but they turned it into a side-scrolling action game... That just ain't right."
Making an uneducated guess here: does it have anything to do with Kunio-kun?

And I guess we can post the new characters without spoilers now?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

Togami's birthday being on Children's Day got a kick out of me. I dunno, he doesn't seem to be all that childish, unless the day has more to it than that.

My take is that his birthday is on 5/5, and 5+5=10 (ten) which is one of the characters in Togami's last name.

orenronen posted:

Google gives me Bats & Terry - is it correct?

And I think Nanami's hairclip is a sprite from some shmup - anyone recognize where it is from?

Jeek fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 4, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jeek posted:

Google gives me Bats & Terry - is it correct?

And I think Nanami's hairclip is a sprite from some shmup - anyone recognize where it is from?

There are actually two games that fit the bill - one is the one you mentioned, which may very well be the reference intended even if its the more obscure of the two. The other is the Famicom adaptaion of the Touch manga, a much better known kusoge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A little late, but I have two observations about the Birthdays

Jeek posted:

Naegi: February 5
Chihiro: March 14

Naegi's Birthday is MY birthday. I laughed at that. People born under the Aquarius sign tend to be smart, which Naegi has proven to be by virtue of solving these murders.

Also, you know who else was born on 3/14? Albert Einstein. Also Michael Caine which made me look at some of his dialogue again in Michael Caine's voice. It's really quite funny.

Final, unrelated note: I went to test an online dice roller, and I decided to roll D&D stats for Naegi to test it.

For people who don't play D&D, you drop the low number, and then the stat is that. 10-11 is a normal human. Naegi's stats are 11-11-11-11-10-15. Pretty average except for one thing which he is super at.