Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

orenronen posted:

I made a long rant about Conception elsewhere on SA before.

Conception shares a producer with Dangan Ronpa, but it's not the same team. Dangan Ronpa is a good game. Conception is not.

It specifically says "「ダンガンロンパ」のプロデュースチームが放つ、新たなRPG!", so that's pretty disingenuous if it's really a different team. Has that team released any other good games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

But I digress. So, part 2 is almost out, huh? Is it a good idea to keep lurking the Pixiv tag? I'm sure that the people there are reasonable enough to mark major spoilers.

Not necessarily. A casual peek on the first 10 pages of pictures tagged with "Dangan Ronpa" reveals major spoilers. And I found a pretty neat Ishida comic during the peek - I am not linking to it as per the spoiler rule, but have a duckling:

By the way, I had a weird dream on DR2 last night, wherein the cast is actually the alternate-world version of the DR1 students and they have to change the future in order to prevent the events of DR1 to unfold. And the main character was somehow doing epic acrobatic stunts in the game reminiscent of the Devil May Cry series.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 25, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Upupupu.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

So... much... envy... :negative:

Does this mean a DR2 Let's Play after the DR1 one orenronen? :shobon:

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 26, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So... much... envy... :negative:

Does this mean a DR2 Let's Play after the DR1 one orenronen? :shobon:

Orenronen did say that he will do a DR2 LP if the game is any good, so let's cross our fingers and hope that it is as good, if not better, than DR1.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Huh, is that the title screen? It's very different from the first game. But I suppose that the second character is random, too, right?

Jeek posted:

Not necessarily. A casual peek on the first 10 pages of pictures tagged with "Dangan Ronpa" reveals major spoilers.
Well, people tend to be more careful about spoilers when the game is new. Dangan Ronpa 1 has been around for almost two years, no wonder people don't care about spoiling stuff by now.

strawberrymacaron
Feb 14, 2012
Sorry about the reading fail on my part last time. Pixiv has announced a DR2 fanart contest, so hopefully the DR2 tag will get even more use on its own. Character names aside, the spoilery stuff on the DR2 tag looks like it's clearly marked? (And coming pretty fast)

DR2:
Not sure if this is cool (I'll take it off if it isn't)/anyone is curious, but there are at least 6 Japanese video-style LPs of the first 20 minutes of the game on Nicovideo right now, with more popping up. If you don't have an account, you can paste the url into http://nicoviewer.net like this one: http://nicoviewer.net/sm18452406

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Well.

I'm up to the first murder, which I just started the investigation phase of. There's no blatant clue like the dying message in DR1's first case, but I do have one strong suspect (though the game might be leading me on).

The prologue chapter was about twice as long as the one in the first game and made me shout WTF out loud once.

Monomi's theme music is the best thing ever.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
That comment makes me so hyped for the game! ... even though I'll never be able to play it. :smith: There might be a way to play it with a dictionary/translation program on hand, but learning to read Kanji characters is really difficult.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Man, that DR2 video strawberrymacaron posted just makes me want this series to hit the states even more. :(

Although I'm glad that I'm unable to play it in Japanese, because I'd never be able to hear the main character as anyone but Detective Conan.

Ahahaha, fat Togami's poses are the same as they were in DR1, only fattified.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 27, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

So, beside Togami and maybe Naegi, are there any part 1 spoilers in chapter 1?

Glad to hear that they decided against having another easy-mode first case: 99% of DR2 players have already played DR1, so showing them the ropes is not really necessary. That is, beside the new mechanics, but they can be explained with a complicated case just as well.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I can't believe how much better the full game of DR1 is than the demo version was. All of the problems I had with the demo (stripped-down, bare-bones plotting and characterization, everyone just kind of standing around randomly and only the main character hearing Monokuma's speech) are completely fixed. If anybody tries the demo and is borderline on it, I'll definitely recommend the full version over it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ara posted:

I can't believe how much better the full game of DR1 is than the demo version was. All of the problems I had with the demo (stripped-down, bare-bones plotting and characterization, everyone just kind of standing around randomly and only the main character hearing Monokuma's speech) are completely fixed. If anybody tries the demo and is borderline on it, I'll definitely recommend the full version over it.

Oh, trust me - one thing DR doesn't lack is plotting and characterization. Most characters are much more than they first appear, and anime cliches are almost always self aware and there for a purpose.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will you be spoiling the game here? On one hand, I want to wait for the LP. On the other, I'd probably bust a few internal organs with anticipation (especially if we're sticking to the 6-month rule). Can you post a list of survivors (if any) at the end of the game at least?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

orenronen posted:

Oh, trust me - one thing DR doesn't lack is plotting and characterization. Most characters are much more than they first appear, and anime cliches are almost always self aware and there for a purpose.

Yeah, the demo version didn't have anything like that. There was no intro where he read 2ch to find out about the school and students, you start out in the classroom and there's an announcement to go to the gym. You wander around and all of the classmates are standing in the hall, and you already have access to the electric notebook with the dossiers and the school rules (which I read before ever seeing Monokuma and just though "what the hell?").

Then you go to the gym and get a one-on-one speech by Monokuma with no explosions or anything, then wander back to your bedroom and there's already a murder scene waiting for you. After that I was just wondering why everyone else was so blase about there being a murder, there was nothing like any kind of group conversation in the whole demo up until the trial.

I'm actually kind of hoping they've changed the first murder victim from the demo version, but I haven't quite gotten there yet in the full version. At least completing the demo got me 100 free Monokuma medals!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Will you be spoiling the game here? On one hand, I want to wait for the LP. On the other, I'd probably bust a few internal organs with anticipation (especially if we're sticking to the 6-month rule). Can you post a list of survivors (if any) at the end of the game at least?

As long as I'm the only one here playing the game, I don't really want to become someone who just gives up spoilers, so I'm going to avoid them. If you wanna get spoiled, work for it.

I am going to make brief statements about how I feel about the game, though. I'm now done with chapter 1. The trial is nothing like the one in the first game. In fact, I think it's nothing like any of the trials in the first game, story-wise. I have no idea where this game is going, and I love it.

I find myself constantly thinking about how I'm going to translate this and put it into an LP, though, which is kind of annoying. I'll definitely need an English native speaking editor this time, as the number of seemingly untranslatable puns seem to have increased tenfold and there are characters like Sonia who speaks weeaboo-Japanese, which there is now way I can put into comparable English by myself.

The first trial also has one element that's just going to be too easy in an LP where people have endless time to go back and look at screenshots instead of playing in realtime. Oh well. DR1 is nowhere near done so it's still far in the future.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

As long as I'm the only one here playing the game, I don't really want to become someone who just gives up spoilers, so I'm going to avoid them. If you wanna get spoiled, work for it.

I am going to make brief statements about how I feel about the game, though. I'm now done with chapter 1. The trial is nothing like the one in the first game. In fact, I think it's nothing like any of the trials in the first game, story-wise. I have no idea where this game is going, and I love it.

I find myself constantly thinking about how I'm going to translate this and put it into an LP, though, which is kind of annoying. I'll definitely need an English native speaking editor this time, as the number of seemingly untranslatable puns seem to have increased tenfold and there are characters like Sonia who speaks weeaboo-Japanese, which there is now way I can put into comparable English by myself.

Well then, if being a native-English speaking editor is how I'll get my spoiler fix, then so be it. Not like I'm not already doing some freelance VN editing work :)

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 27, 2012

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you need another Grammar Nazi editor, you can ask me too. Got nothin' better to do most days.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Senerio posted:

If you need another Grammar Nazi editor, you can ask me too. Got nothin' better to do most days.

I'll be looking less for a grammar nazi, and more for someone who is a good writer (especially for dialogue) and who can brainstorm with me on puns and other difficult material.

Kodaka's prose is so much better than most other VNs on the market, and he has an excellent ear for dialogue. I'm playing another VN right now - Time Travellers by Jiro Ishii. Ishii is mich more famous in the Japanese gaming world than Kodaka is (though I suspect that is going to change), and even though TT is a financial failure, the story is intriguing and the pacing is great. I like it a lot. The prose itself is bland, though. It's servicable, but nothing more. When reading DR, on the other hand, I feel like I'm reading someone who knows how to use his language by itself to great effect, regardless of what's going on in the story.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I believe there are native English speakers living in Japan among the audience. Perhaps you can ask for help in the main thread and/or the Japan megathread?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

orenronen posted:

I'll be looking less for a grammar nazi, and more for someone who is a good writer (especially for dialogue) and who can brainstorm with me on puns and other difficult material.

Kodaka's prose is so much better than most other VNs on the market, and he has an excellent ear for dialogue. I'm playing another VN right now - Time Travellers by Jiro Ishii. Ishii is mich more famous in the Japanese gaming world than Kodaka is (though I suspect that is going to change), and even though TT is a financial failure, the story is intriguing and the pacing is great. I like it a lot. The prose itself is bland, though. It's servicable, but nothing more. When reading DR, on the other hand, I feel like I'm reading someone who knows how to use his language by itself to great effect, regardless of what's going on in the story.

If you're still looking for editors when it's time to do it then feel free to send me a PM. I speak Japanese, I'm a native English speaker, I like writing, and if it's more than a month or two off then I'll probably have played the game by then. Mostly depends on when you'll be doing it and how much free time I'll have.

I've also got Time Travelers queued up for when I finish Steins Gate, mostly because the advertisements on the train looked kind of cool. Talking about using language to full effect, if every VN had the Steins Gate main character (and voice actor) as the narrator I think I would be happy. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a game as the "BANANA!" line in SG.

Actually one stylistic thing I'm super liking about Dangan Ronpa's dialogue is that, even though most of the dialogue isn't voiced, they have those little vocal cues. Like maybe one of the girls will say "私はね..." or the afro guy will say "だべ?" or the baseball guy says "ぶっちゃけさ...". It was a little weird at first but it really helps you imagine the voice and tone without actually acting it out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Just a small thing, but it amused me since the question came up way too many times in the LP: in DR2, someone asks Monobear directly if the three person body discovery rule includes the culprit or not. Monobear says that fundamentally it does, but that he can be flexible according to circumstances.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Without spoiling anything, how's the (I -assume- new) music in DR2, oren?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Without spoiling anything, how's the (I -assume- new) music in DR2, oren?

Some DR1 tracks are reused, but it's mostly new. It's fantastic.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The Japanese fans are surely fast when it comes to playing games - I am seeing Pixiv artworks with "Chapter 6 spoiler" on their titles. (I did not open those at all so don't ask what it is about.)

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
If anyone's curious about what the Good Smile Cafe in Akihabara was doing for DR2's release, pictures of the food are available here.
As for collectibles, I picked up the placemat (which is 2-sided)

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image

This pin came with my pie (you can't read it, but there's text next to her head saying "Nanami Chiaki"):
[timg]http://lpix.org/754180/IMG_0381[1].JPG[/timg]
And these two came with my dad's coffee/ice cream (again, text here - "Tanaka Gandamu")
[timg]http://lpix.org/754181/IMG_0380[1].JPG[/timg]

Finally, we got handed four cards when we came in the door, one of which was Dangan Ronpa-themed.

They also had a bunch of art from the first game behind some glass towards the front of the cafe, as well as ten or so Monobear plushies and some CDs, I assume the Dangan Ronpa OST. The art was all signed, and consisted of the character art for all the students plus Syo (only spoilers for someone who hasn't read the LP), as well as two pictures that are spoilers for the LP (all of the 16 students having fun together at some sort of gymnastic event, plus a picture of a second Junko next to Monobear, which probably wouldn't have raised suspicions except it was grouped with the other student pictures). Nothing that ruined the whole game for me, though.

As an aside, I can't say I would recommend the cafe. The service was glacial, and although they were supposedly promoting four different things, most of them got thrown under the bus in favour of slapping "the Idolmaster" over every square inch of the place. I don't know what that is, but it made me listen to a lot of bad J-pop, so I hate it.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Jeek posted:

The Japanese fans are surely fast when it comes to playing games - I am seeing Pixiv artworks with "Chapter 6 spoiler" on their titles. (I did not open those at all so don't ask what it is about.)
I dunno, it's been almost a week already, which is actually not that fast in my opinion. I've seen people finishing games with 60 hours of gameplay in about two days - and drawing fanart right after that.

Crummelhorn posted:

As an aside, I can't say I would recommend the cafe. The service was glacial, and although they were supposedly promoting four different things, most of them got thrown under the bus in favour of slapping "the Idolmaster" over every square inch of the place. I don't know what that is, but it made me listen to a lot of bad J-pop, so I hate it.
Well I hate you too :saddowns:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I dunno, it's been almost a week already, which is actually not that fast in my opinion. I've seen people finishing games with 60 hours of gameplay in about two days - and drawing fanart right after that.

Yeah. DR2 is longer than DR, but when all is said and done it's just a linear game you can rush through without much trouble. I'm reading at least twice (probably closer to three times) as slow as a native speaker, and I'm already around the halfpoint mark. That's while spending most of my waking hours at my full-time job and not letting the game completely monopolize my free time. Native speakers with lots of free time can get through it in no time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I feel like I'm stepping in a minefield with all these black boxes, but wanted to ask if there were any uploads to the new music or any way to hear it? Been listening to some of the songs I like in DR1 and curious to hear some of the newer tracks.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I feel like I'm stepping in a minefield with all these black boxes, but wanted to ask if there were any uploads to the new music or any way to hear it? Been listening to some of the songs I like in DR1 and curious to hear some of the newer tracks.

The soundtrack CD will be released in a month, on August 31. There's also a mini-soundtrack disc included in the limited edition box set that probably has some of the tracks, but I haven't seen it posted online yet (not that I looked much - knowing the internet, it's probably out there somewhere).

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

Well, without owning any gaming console, I really have little idea how long it would take to play a game in general. :shobon: However, the earliest Pixiv entry with endgame spoiler (as stated on description) was posted on 11pm of July 28, which is still quite fast in my opinion. :v:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mediacreate puts first week DR2 sales at 69,000 (download version not included). That's a pretty amazing number for an adults-only adventure game.

DR1 sold about 140,000 total since it went on the market, about 20,000 of which are the budget version, and was one of (if not the) top-selling adventure games on the PSP, ever.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Tracks are starting to trickle into Youtube. Here's one of my favorites (polsyfied to avoid related-video spoilers). The video itself has images of all the characters from the game, so if you haven't seem them yet - stay away.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, how far along in the game are you, if you don't mind me asking? Since we're already close to the end of DR2 and all :)

EDIT: And would it be TOO spoilery to ask how ____Togami____ got so drat fat?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

orenronen posted:

Tracks are starting to trickle into Youtube. Here's one of my favorites (polsyfied to avoid related-video spoilers). The video itself has images of all the characters from the game, so if you haven't seem them yet - stay away.

I've only seen a few of em, so nothing too big to me I... think, unless there's a ton of returning characters or something (aside from monobear)

Thanks for the link though!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Say, how far along in the game are you, if you don't mind me asking? Since we're already close to the end of DR2 and all :)

EDIT: And would it be TOO spoilery to ask how ____Togami____ got so drat fat?

Mid chapter 4.

And the answer to that probably is too spoilery, but if you want to know something concrete, I can say that at this point in the game we have not yet been told the reason.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He ate the 16th Student! And the first chapter is proving this! After which Togami gets executed by being buried under thrones and crowns and gold bars and poo poo! Wrap the case up boys, I've got this in the bag! :smug:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Just finished case 2 of the first game. I'm liking the game a lot, but I feel like the plot twists have been too easy to predict. I figured out literally everything about the case within 5 minutes of the murder happening, except for Oowada calling Fujisaki あいつ, which was the only evidence pointing to him until the end of the trial. I feel like they're dropping too many hints for everything, not leaving enough to figure out by yourself. Hoping it's just because it's only the second case, does it get tougher?

Also, I thought Fukawa had the worst voice actor I'd ever heard until this case, but she definitely improved.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ara posted:

Just finished case 2 of the first game. I'm liking the game a lot, but I feel like the plot twists have been too easy to predict. I figured out literally everything about the case within 5 minutes of the murder happening, except for Oowada calling Fujisaki あいつ, which was the only evidence pointing to him until the end of the trial. I feel like they're dropping too many hints for everything, not leaving enough to figure out by yourself. Hoping it's just because it's only the second case, does it get tougher?

Also, I thought Fukawa had the worst voice actor I'd ever heard until this case, but she definitely improved.

Really? You knew it was Oowada from the get go? And why he did it? And the exact nature of Togami's involvement (including his reasons)? That's one culprit I only figured out mid-trial, IIRC. But anyway - the murder tricks themselves are the weak point of DR1, and they're not really the point. The game is about its characters and about their motivations. The whodunnit is kind of irrelevant -- it's always the whydunnit that the game tries emphasize. Really - if there's one message this game is trying to convey is that treating murder mystery victims and culprits as nothing but puzzle pieces is not something one should do. Human motivation is far more important than what kind of trick they used to hide their actions.

DR2 does make things more challenging, though - the murders are far more elaborate and I doubt you'll get all of them from the beginning even if you had no problem doing so in DR1.

I think Miyuki Sawashiro as Fukawa/Syo is actually the best voice actor in DR. She gives a brilliant performance as both, even if it doesn't seem so at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

orenronen posted:

Really? You knew it was Oowada from the get go? And why he did it? And the exact nature of Togami's involvement (including his reasons)? That's one culprit I only figured out mid-trial, IIRC. But anyway - the murder tricks themselves are the weak point of DR1, and they're not really the point. The game is about its characters and about their motivations. The whodunnit is kind of irrelevant -- it's always the whydunnit that the game tries emphasize. Really - if there's one message this game is trying to convey is that treating murder mystery victims and culprits as nothing but puzzle pieces is not something one should do. Human motivation is far more important than what kind of trick they used to hide their actions.

DR2 does make things more challenging, though - the murders are far more elaborate and I doubt you'll get all of them from the beginning even if you had no problem doing so in DR1.

I think Miyuki Sawashiro as Fukawa/Syo is actually the best voice actor in DR. She gives a brilliant performance as both, even if it doesn't seem so at the beginning.

Cool, good to hear. Yeah, during the evidence-gathering part I figured out about the Fujisaki crossdressing thing, the multiple personality thing (though I thought it was too obvious and might be a red herring), Togami's involvement (he said he took the extension cord from that box, and Fukawa was stalking him and said some stuff through her door to indicate that he knew her secret), the fact that the murderer had probably exchanged their broken notebook for Kuwata's, and the fact that someone besides Togami or Fukawa must be the murderer.

The only thing I DIDN'T figure out was that Oowada did it since I didn't notice any evidence, so I was kind of waiting throughout the trial for the murderer to out themselves with some random innocuous statement. Still a fun trial, especially Fukawa's thing. It's a shame because I liked Oowada and I was planning to do my next set of free times with him :( Oh, and I didn't figure out the whole "I was testing to see who is the most dangerous to me" thing.

And yeah, I've really liked how both of the first two murders have been someone kind of forced into it by circumstance and they totally feel like poo poo afterwards. Togami is the only one being set up as the "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you kids!" murderer, so I'm kind of hoping he ends up as a victim.

Ara fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 3, 2012