Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

TVs Ian posted:

That is all so awesome, yay for adopting older dogs!

And yes, I realize nothing obligates that we need to politely decline any furry adoption applications but still....I feel badly saying to things......rudely.

Anyhow, rest assured we will not let this puppy be harmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrstmpHn7k

Those paws! I want that pup :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

a life less posted:

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

That sucks, I hope you manage to convince him. You totally need a pack of crazy, intense herding dogs (and Mega).

You're killing me here.

I've also realised I don't actually know much about your awesome dog. Tell me about her :allears:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

I've also realised I don't actually know much about your awesome dog. Tell me about her :allears:

Well, she apparently just decided to chase some geese in a marsh and ford a river

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
A while back a rescue in Cinci had what appeared to be a Tervuren mix puppy for adoption. She was so gorgeous (I think I linked her here, don't remember). The rescue required fenced-in yards though, so even if it were the best time in my life to get a puppy I couldn't have her. :qq:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Levitate posted:

Well, she apparently just decided to chase some geese in a marsh and ford a river

No I mean like why is she 'on vacation' or whatever? Do you co-own her?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: ^^^ all of them. All of the dogs. Or you know. Two, maybe three. A pharoah hound, irish wolfhound and something else. Maybe a Dane.

Feldman dragged his little mat underneath my bed, and is now laying on it while chewing on his toys.

Dog you are weird. Why are you under there?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years (hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field) but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

I'd like (in the far future) maybe another dog or two. I think three is a lot to handle and I'd only want three if there was another person living with me. My bf is pretty good with dogs and grew up with corgis, so maybe a middle aged rescue corgi or something.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman dragged his little mat underneath my bed, and is now laying on it while chewing on his toys.

Dog you are weird. Why are you under there?

Dogs have a strong denning instinct, and sometimes they'll designate a particular spot as their den. Husker has one particular bed that he always takes his bones and such to. Anything high value gets taken there. Maybe Feldman has decided that under your bed is a good place to take his high value stuff.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Dogs have a strong denning instinct, and sometimes they'll designate a particular spot as their den. Husker has one particular bed that he always takes his bones and such to. Anything high value gets taken there. Maybe Feldman has decided that under your bed is a good place to take his high value stuff.

It could be. This is the first time he's doing it though, so who knows. He seems okay under there, so I'm guessing I should just let him be?

Also here is a picture.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

Should we be exempt from this conversation? Because I think six dogs is our max comfort zone but, with a foster litter, we've had as many as 13 in the house at once.

I know it seems like a lot when you write it down but bear in mind that out of the five we own at this moment 3 of them are under 20 lbs (does Lucy even count as a dog?), one is under 30 lbs and the largest one is a comfortably medium-sized dog.

So it's not like we have 12 Maremma barreling around the house.

Coming clean, my wife does the bulk of the work and training but the dogs are HER passion; I love them and I couldn't bear to part with any that aren't fosters but I wouldn't say this is exactly how I envisioned it being lol. I handle most if not all of the cat care because she has allergies. So, if we take on more it will be mostly in line with what she thinks she can handle.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I die a little every day when I come home and there are two Pomeranians bouncing around and ecstatic to see me. Heaven right now is a pile of fluffy, bouncy Poms.

MUST STAY STRONG

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsoape posted:

As much as I talk, in THIS house we can realistically only fit 2, and while I'm raising a family but in a bigger house, 3. My REAL "pack" won't be for a very long time (retirement? :( ) and might reach as many as 5 if we have the space, but that will all be part of a breeding program.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

No I mean like why is she 'on vacation' or whatever? Do you co-own her?

Oh, my wife is visiting family on Cape Cod this week and took Greta with her. More playtime up there rather than sit at home all day waiting for me to get back from work

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

My brother and his girlfriend have a pom, and is a very sweet little girl, her name is ginger. But he also wants to get a pit bull when they buy a house.

Update: The demon dog has appeared from it's den beneath my bed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

I dream of a day when I own 500 fenced acres and I have a herd of danes stampeding toward me at full run, tongues, ears and tails flopping around everywhere.

Dog-wise I can't really see more than 5, ever, and certainly not more than this while we're still moving around. Hell, I didn't intend on this. Ires just kinda happened. v:shobon:v But things change and who really knows. It'll depend on what our living situation is like a billion years down the road.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Honestly, I would probably max out at two, MAYBE three if something too good to pass up fell in my lap. I would like medium or large dogs that are at least somewhat active to continue to get me off my rear end and exercise like Shadow does, so I can't imagine myself dealing with more than that.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 24, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I think 2 is a good number.

But quite honestly, we all know that Chihuahuas don't count.

So, 2 real dogs, plus Mega. Maybe.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Levitate posted:

Oh, my wife is visiting family on Cape Cod this week and took Greta with her. More playtime up there rather than sit at home all day waiting for me to get back from work

That's cool! Take and post more pictures of her when she gets back, tia

notsoape posted:

I think I could comfortably own three dogs, either in my current situation or if I was living on my own. They'd probably be pretty small dogs though. Any more than that would just be too much for now (until I own a farm, one day).

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

\On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

Chessies, flatcoats, danes (so many danes), wolfhounds, mastiffs, brittanys, springers, CKCs, papillons, poms, deerhounds, saints, newfies, giant schnauzers, irish setters, RRs. I don't really know about corgis. They're a 'sort of' want. Kinda like goldens. Corgis I really don't wanna deal with the back problems and goldens I don't wanna deal with the cancer.

I might be open to pharaoh hounds, greyhounds, beezers, salukis, afghans or standard poodles but those would be far, far down the road. Kinda like mastiffs will be. :smith:

E: I have no idea how I forgot salukis.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 24, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

I would like to always have a lurcher, though I'm only interested in bedlington, collie and whippet blends (with the occasional grey or deerhound thrown in for good measure). After Dan passes on I will probably acquire some kind of bratty rescue toy atrocity to replace him. Lifetime goals are, at some stage, own and train 1)a sheepdog, 2)a gundog and 3) afghan or saluki. Lurchers will be my focus for now, though.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

notsoape posted:

One dog and one cat is my ideal but I am open to a brace of dogs if they have a job to do.

I've been talking to a hunter/family friend in my area who will likely be putting a Plott-cross litter on the ground next summer but it will totally depend on where I end up moving this fall. If that falls through I'm probably looking at a rescue coonhound or a bloodhound or some sort of long-eared, loud-mouthed cross. I'd like a dog that can work in the field along with my friends' and family members' dogs but I'm not looking into competing or really anything beyond hobby hunting.

That said, my state is suddenly becoming very friendly to coyote hunting so I reserve the right to abruptly change my mind and get a totally insane yote courser like my cousin's.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

So Orbit just got attacked by a pit bull at the dog park. I shouldn't have brought him in after seeing a pit bull in there but there were 5 other dogs all getting along, so i figured it would be ok. I was so wrong and wont be making that mistake again. The second we got inside the fence the dog went for Orbit's throat. I kicked it away and the owner came and held it back while I got O out of there. No blood was drawn but we both felt shaken up. I told her not to bring her dog to the park and she said "I bring him every week and there are no problems" like that was supposed to make me feel better.

We got in the car and came to another unfenced park where a lot of people walk their dogs and he said hi nicely to about 10 different dogs so hopefully he's going to be ok mentally too but Jesus it was so scary.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Plus_Infinity posted:

So Orbit just got attacked by a pit bull at the dog park. I shouldn't have brought him in after seeing a pit bull in there but there were 5 other dogs all getting along, so i figured it would be ok. I was so wrong and wont be making that mistake again. The second we got inside the fence the dog went for Orbit's throat. I kicked it away and the owner came and held it back while I got O out of there. No blood was drawn but we both felt shaken up. I told her not to bring her dog to the park and she said "I bring him every week and there are no problems" like that was supposed to make me feel better.

We got in the car and came to another unfenced park where a lot of people walk their dogs and he said hi nicely to about 10 different dogs so hopefully he's going to be ok mentally too but Jesus it was so scary.

If you see her there again I would make a point of telling her that clearly there have been problems and she needs to make sure she takes her DA dog somewhere where it isn't going to hurt other dogs or get her sued.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

or make a point to call animal control and make a scene

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Chessies, flatcoats, danes (so many danes), wolfhounds, mastiffs, brittanys, springers, CKCs, papillons, poms, deerhounds, saints, newfies, giant schnauzers, irish setters, RRs. I don't really know about corgis. They're a 'sort of' want. Kinda like goldens. Corgis I really don't wanna deal with the back problems and goldens I don't wanna deal with the cancer.

I might be open to pharaoh hounds, greyhounds, beezers, salukis, afghans or standard poodles but those would be far, far down the road. Kinda like mastiffs will be. :smith:

E: I have no idea how I forgot salukis.

That's a lot of dogs! What if you had to pick like, your top five?

notsoape posted:

I would like to always have a lurcher, though I'm only interested in bedlington, collie and whippet blends (with the occasional grey or deerhound thrown in for good measure). After Dan passes on I will probably acquire some kind of bratty rescue toy atrocity to replace him. Lifetime goals are, at some stage, own and train 1)a sheepdog, 2)a gundog and 3) afghan or saluki. Lurchers will be my focus for now, though.

I'd really love to get my hands on a whippet/something lurcher someday. I keep seeing lurchers everywhere in rescues and on for sale pages. I really like whippets. Maybe a whippet/collie. :allears:

My list of things I want is pretty much: border collie, lurcher, patterdale terrier, pyrenean shepherd and jack russell. All of the JRTs will be mine. There's more breeds that I certainly wouldn't turn down but those are my top five.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Levitate posted:

or make a point to call animal control and make a scene

I'm not saying get this lady's dog taken away because its vicious (or w/e people want to say about dogs with DA or who don't play well with others) but she's bringing a pibble to a dog park and its a stupid idea. :psyduck:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm saying get her dog taken away if it's attacking other peoples dogs and she refuses to control it

We can be all bloo bloo about this up to the point where the dog kills another dog at the dog park and then what

e: also because the lady isn't gonna give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck if you just show up and tell her that her dog is causing problems

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Levitate posted:

I'm saying get her dog taken away if it's attacking other peoples dogs and she refuses to control it

We can be all bloo bloo about this up to the point where the dog kills another dog at the dog park and then what

I thought you were being sarcastic, my bad. :(

But yeah, I agree.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Levitate posted:

This. There is a first time for everything and she might not have been any problems before, but as soon as she implies that this is a fluke and she won't stop bringing her dog, it crosses a line. AC isn't going to take her dog right off the bat, but it will put the incident on paper so that if her dog ends up injuring another she can't claim there wasn't any warning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well yeah I was being a bit flippant, it's just that judging from the one example we have it doesn't seem likely she's going to agree with you if you ask her to please not bring her dog to the park, but if it's consistently attacking a dog then that's kind of an issue and should be dealt with, and yeah they probably won't do anything crazy the first time or anything but so I ramble on

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

It was my first time at that particular park. I won't be going back any time soon most likely. It's not that close to my house.

She looked to be 20 years old and was probably told her pit was a bait dog. She just seemed clueless. I was too shaken up to say much other than she shouldn't bring her dog again. She didn't take her dog out of the park though, she just sat down and let her dog keep playing with the other dogs. It was unbelievable.

Obviously if I see her again I'll sperg out more and tell her I'll call AC if I see her again. I might post about her on yelp to warn other people.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

It was my first time at that particular park. I won't be going back any time soon most likely. It's not that close to my house.

She looked to be 20 years old and was probably told her pit was a bait dog. She just seemed clueless. I was too shaken up to say much other than she shouldn't bring her dog again. She didn't take her dog out of the park though, she just sat down and let her dog keep playing with the other dogs. It was unbelievable.

Obviously if I see her again I'll sperg out more and tell her I'll call AC if I see her again. I might post about her on yelp to warn other people.

Do people review dog parks on yelp?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

That's a lot of dogs! What if you had to pick like, your top five?

Dane, mastiff, RR, Flatcoat, Pom (or pom mix) probably.

E: Sometimes it is just specific dogs that don't get along. Talk to other people, see if they know the pit and see if it's gone after other dogs in my opinion.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

wtftastic posted:

Do people review dog parks on yelp?

around here they do! though i just noticed that one isn't on there.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Plus_Infinity posted:

around here they do! though i just noticed that one isn't on there.

Also check your state laws, in WA if your dog attacks another dog, you're liable for any vet bills that might become incurred. I learned that when a pit mix smashed up Neige's face that one time, and it's good ammo in case you ever see that dumb owner again. You can let her know that if her dog attacks yours, she gets to pay upward of $1500 for x-rays, radiology, sedatives, antibiotics, etc. And that was JUST with a small nasal and upper jaw fracture. I can't imagine adding sutures to that bill...

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Hmmm, top five future fantasy dog breed team? I'd probably say Pom, poodle, corgi, greyhound, and rottweiler (although seeing them all typed out like that it's quite the disparate mix...). Also, I think I've realized something about myself: I hate labs :( I know that there are many awesome labs out there, and people love them, but man, when I volunteer at the animal shelter I LOATHE walking the labs. They're just so dumb and hyper and bumbling and getting all tangled up in your legs and jumping up on you and scratching you accidentally and just UGH. In fairness, the labs at the shelter are obviously not well-trained and could probably learn to be a lot more mannerly, but drat do they get on my nerves.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Also check your state laws, in WA if your dog attacks another dog, you're liable for any vet bills that might become incurred. I learned that when a pit mix smashed up Neige's face that one time, and it's good ammo in case you ever see that dumb owner again. You can let her know that if her dog attacks yours, she gets to pay upward of $1500 for x-rays, radiology, sedatives, antibiotics, etc. And that was JUST with a small nasal and upper jaw fracture. I can't imagine adding sutures to that bill...

I'm in PA. It looks like if you are "harboring a dangerous dog" there are legal consequences (and if a dog seriously injures another dog while off the owner's property, that counts). You have to pay restitution to the victim/ and pay vet/hospital bills, have a secure enclosure on your property AND have a sign that you have a dangerous dog, get the dog microchipped and spayed/neutered, and get insurance to cover any future injuries the dog may give. And they can't take the dog out of the enclosure they build unless the dog is muzzled.

So yeah, serious consequences if your dog attacks another dog seriously around here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TVs Ian posted:

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

Question is, what is a polite way to be HaHAAAno?

I thought it was otherkin who did the majority of dog-loving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I thought it was otherkin who did the majority of dog-loving?

They're all the same, creepy dog molesting gently caress ups.

• Locked thread