Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

Yeah, if anything the budget for this is pretty small when you take into account labor/equipment/etc. The reason why she wants funding as opposed to doing an amateur vlog kind of thing is because she thinks the subject deserves serious treatment and wants viewers to take it seriously. Doing a documentary with a webcam and windows movie maker would kind of defeat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekenner
Oct 29, 2007

I love how many of those are literally male power fantasies, not misandry.
Beautiful.

e: Not that I'd call any of them misandry, though some of them are problems with male gender views.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Jesto posted:

If you think that's what I'm suggesting, you're putting words in my mouth that weren't even vaguely implied. I never once said the comments were her fault, I'm say she intentionally left the comments section open to use the poo poo that appears in every youtube video as a reference for videogamers being terrible.

Which she is. She stated that's exactly what she's doing. How the hell do you see 'victim blaming' here?

How do you take someone pointing out she's intending on using the usual filth that washes up everywhere on youtube disingenuously and see "SHE BROUGHT THIS ON HERSELF! SHE DESERVES WHATEVER SHE GETS!"? Desperately trying to see sexism in everything you see must be pretty tiring.

She left the comments open to prove a point: that sexism in the gaming community and gaming as a whole is a serious problem that has a source in both how the media (especially games) present women and the attitudes that people in the gaming community have toward women. What she's trying to do with this project is raise awareness with gaming specific examples so that this can be combated and I honestly don't get how you can miss the point so loving hard.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

JUNKOS

I feel bad for contributing to the derail but every time someone comes in to complain about why Anita shouldn't make those videos/have that much money/etc my blood boils. I guess I make a good trolling target. But the way I see it, more education and speaking out against serious issues is never a bad thing.

The fun arguments used in this thread so far include:

- well the issue is obvious, why waste time/effort on a couple videos that won't do anything?
- $6k is too much money, she should have done it out of her own pocket
- why does she have so much money? $100k is too much funds and publicity, she should either singlehandedly get rid of sexism or not have that money at all
- singling out video gamers is bad! movies do it too! - even though she has videos on those topics as well and is in no way pinning the problem just on the video games industry
- all youtube videos have comments wishing sexual assault/death on the author

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Clocks posted:

I feel bad for contributing to the derail

I honestly dont know why nobody made a thread about the incident. Its obvious everyone wants to talk about it since theres discussions in about 3 different threads. Not every thread on the forum has to be a megathread.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching

OHHHHH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING HERE

No more derail!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching

Here, I'll put an end to this stupid argument:

That woman got funding for videos on issues that SHOULD be discussed! It will be interesting to watch what she has to say and maybe something good will come of it. Whether or not she needs all that money is inconsequential and really, who cares if she has all that money! If you don't want to/don't care to watch her videos, then DON'T WATCH THEM, and you more than likely aren't suited to comment on the subject matter.

To be blunt, the video game userbase, just like many other userbases, has many issues, and the way they portray women in video games is a big one. One in recent memory is that Super Princess Peach game that has Peach user her FEMALE EMOTIONS (like crying) as her weapons. What the gently caress?! I'd say let's watch her videos when they come out and go from there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I have special eyes.

Just think of all the cool stuff I can see.

So moving back to Tomb Raider, but on a slightly different note...is anyone also getting the vibe that they're practically fetishizing how reigned-in* Lara's new design is? Or am I just reading a bit too deeply into things?

I mean, there's this:

Ron Rosenberg posted:

"The ability to see her as a human is even more enticing to me than the more sexualized version of yesteryear."
(This actually sounds almost innocent out of context, but in context with his previous statements....)

Not to mention Kotaku's own headline of "You’ll ‘Want To Protect’ The New, Less Curvy Lara Croft".

A lot of mentions of what is effectively a new character at this point are obligated to include references to her past incarnation(s) that skeev me out a little bit, basically like "Lara (who now has smaller breasts but used to have big honkin' ones, you see), blah blah blah..." It almost seems to undermine the entire point of trying to make Lara Croft, for lack of a better term, more wholesome? I guess my point is that, so far, most of the hype I've seen about this new Lara has been how she's not the old Lara, instead of what she's actually like. Or more worryingly, about all the bad things that are going to happen to her.

*Also for all the talk of how reigned-in her figure is..the then-and-now pic Kotaku ran with the article honestly doesn't make the new design look that held back? Aside from a clearly smaller bust and proper pants instead of short-shorts, she's still very traditionally attractive and appears to even have wider hips than the old trilogy Lara? In short, to me it looks like they changed her looks from "video game character" into "Hollywood actress"...not exactly a massive, progressive leap, IMO. Again, am I just crazy? (Do I just love question marks a whole lot??)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, the media focus on that is really awkward. I'm just glad that the reboot started to move her more and more toward looking like an actual human being.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

John Murdoch posted:

(This actually sounds almost innocent out of context, but in context with his previous statements....)

To simulate the context, just replace the word "enticing" with "delicious."

EDIT: And you have to pronounce it "deee-liiii-shoooooossssss" while shuddering.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

John Murdoch posted:

So moving back to Tomb Raider, but on a slightly different note...is anyone also getting the vibe that they're practically fetishizing how reigned-in* Lara's new design is? Or am I just reading a bit too deeply into things?

This is pretty much the part that creeps me out. I like the idea of a prequel showing a less experienced, more vulnerable version of a well known character--like how MGS3 portrayed Revolver Ocelot as a young hotheaded unit commander who got in over his head when more skilled soldiers like The Boss and Naked Snake show up on the scene. Of course with a female lead, "vulnerable" translates into "sexually vulnerable," there's apparently no other kind I guess. The way the developers have been talking about Croft's character change has just felt really uncomfortable from square one.

Faceless Clock
Aug 3, 2000

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Yeah, the media focus on that is really awkward.

To quote Snow Crash - "It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists."

I suspect there is a lot of that going on in the development of Tomb Raider right now, and it's the reason why more women need to be included in game writing and design. If you put a bunch of dudes in a room and tell them to create a female character there's not much chance the result will be realistic.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Here I post;
I can do no other.

thevoiceofdog posted:

This is pretty much the part that creeps me out. I like the idea of a prequel showing a less experienced, more vulnerable version of The way the developers have been talking about Croft's character change has just felt really uncomfortable from square one.

And nerds scoff at all those Women in Computer Science groups as "unnecessary"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Yup, that's a skjold all right.

I'm pretty sure the media focus on the smaller breasts is mostly an outcry of "hey, I can't believe how sexist we used to be and we're really trying to improve here, but we can't quite there unless we point it out".

Focus on breasts in any given discussion will usually end up being perceived as at least a bit pervy and immature, but if I had my choice, I'm glad it's a focus on a normal-sized bust, rather than an extremely curvy one, because we've had those people for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

I'm pretty sure this thread loving sucks.

«47 »