Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

A death star appears in like 7 out of the 9 star war's'

You know if those stupid rebels would just stop blowing them up all the time we could've had a death solar system by now. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fallout 3 has a super mutant factory, it's where you find Fawkes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
with the right mods you can find that everywhere

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

You know if those stupid rebels would just stop blowing them up all the time we could've had a death solar system by now. :colbert:

I don't know, I don't think the first order (the guys who came after the empire) had the technical wherewithal to build sustainably at that scale. Even just the one planet sized death star was really pushing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Biplane posted:

I don't know, I don't think the first order (the guys who came after the empire) had the technical wherewithal to build sustainably at that scale. Even just the one planet sized death star was really pushing it.

Good news! The Emperor was still around.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biplane posted:

A death star appears in like 7 out of the 9 star war's'

No, she's in star trek

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Aphrodite posted:

Good news! The Emperor was still around.

but how did he return

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Torquemada posted:

but how did he return

Somehow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fallout 3 has a super mutant factory, it's where you find Fawkes.

"Something..... TROUBLING YOU, MY FRIEND?!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite part of the movie that is Fallout 3's story is when it really does pull the lovely movie cliche of having all your very capable friends refuse the test meant for you. Even the guy who's immune to being irradiated, who did it before to get a plot critical item for you. No, wanderer. It is your destiny to inhale the fart gas.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Apr 17, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, it's not just the super mutant. You potentially have a robot companion, a ghoul under contract (who I do believe are immune to radiation) and a messed up slave who is still conditioned to do whatever her new master tells her to do.

All of them clearly recognize that you are the main character who needs to do a meaningful sacrifice, regardless of what your actions have been prior to that final moment.

And then a DLC gave you more options because it offered a post-game campaign. But it's not just more practical to send the super mutant/robot/ghoul to do the job, you let them do it because are obviously a coward.

"It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice. But the child refused to follow the father's selfless example - instead, allowing a true hero to venture into the irradiated control chamber of Project Purity and sacrifice her own life for the greater good of mankind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

And then a DLC gave you more options because it offered a post-game campaign. But it's not just more practical to send the super mutant/robot/ghoul to do the job, you let them do it because are obviously a coward.

"It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice. But the child refused to follow the father's selfless example - instead, allowing a true hero to venture into the irradiated control chamber of Project Purity and sacrifice her own life for the greater good of mankind.

Fawkes was a real bro, and I'm fine with him getting the glory instead. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those here that primarily watch movies and don't play video games, don't worry! They're ALSO an excuse for the writer to work on his daddy issues. Try the last of us or the new god of war today, they're really cinematic!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why not? Like...couldn't some smart guy make a second Super Mutant factory back east?

Granted, my Fallout knowledge is limited to like 4 hours of 3, 10ish of NV, and (to my shame) like 20 hours of 4.

No, you're right. There's been multiple strains of FEV worked on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im not sure if its subtle, or im an idiot, or its not there at all, but: The Rover: the reason guy pearce starts warming to robert pattinson is cause he's basically a dog, to him. loyal, attentive, kinda dumb, but means well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, Super Mutants are also super tough and either don't age much or become stronger as they do, it's not hard to imagine a lot of them travelling across the wasteland especially after the army broke up like a hundred years ago.

Also the whole deal with the setting is that there's fuckloads of mad science all over the place from the insane monstrosity the US military-industrial complex had become. There's a probably deliberate irony that between all the tech from Vault-Tech, RobCo, Big MT and such, they could basically be a Jetsons post-scarcity setting, but the pre-war government was so hard locked into bloodthirsty imperialist capitalism they saw no other option than to keep escalating until the nukes started flying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There were water wars, iirc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Can't they indefinitely recycle water though? Provided you have the correct chip of course...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Can't they indefinitely recycle water though? Provided you have the correct chip of course...

Sure they can, but you're out of your mind if you think they're gonna let those drat COMMUNISTS do it too!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Oh I was just agreeing that they could've had a utopia had anyone in charge actually wanted one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's almost like they could save the world, but just couldn't agree on how.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cat Hatter posted:

Oh I was just agreeing that they could've had a utopia had anyone in charge actually wanted one.

That applies to almost every point in human history

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It's a bit different when you seemingly have unlimited access to food, water, electricity, and robot butlers though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We can infinitely recycle water now too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Aphrodite posted:

We can infinitely recycle water now too.

The water you're drinking right now might've been pissed out by a dinosaur

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The water you're drinking right now might've been pissed out by a dinosaur

Hot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

If the dinosaur piss you're drinking is still hot you've probably got dinosaur(/s) near by. Just FYI.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The way the water cycle works, every single molecule of water you've ever drank in your life has been pissed out by multiple dinosaurs. And with how many priests have been blessing water for so many centuries, all the water in the lakes, rivers and ocean in the world is holy water, which is why we don't have draculas anymore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

quote:

Dinosaur piss

Hot.

Loved it whenever Captain Picard would order this

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

The way the water cycle works, every single molecule of water you've ever drank in your life has been pissed out by multiple dinosaurs. And with how many priests have been blessing water for so many centuries, all the water in the lakes, rivers and ocean in the world is holy water, which is why we don't have draculas anymore

Almost what I was going to say except that new water is made all the time, so some of those molecules are newer than 65 million years. So not every single molecule. But yeah, the ones that ARE that old have all had 65-240 million years to diffuse around so homogenously into the water cycle. Absolute perfect spread of dinosaur piss. It doesn’t even take tens of millions of years for water to spread. You’ve probably drank the piss of every historical figure from a matter of centuries ago.

So enjoy that, if that’s what you’re into

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I had no idea my mention of dinosaur piss would be met with such enthusiasm

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Way to read the room.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

This ain't the Something NotAwful forums

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Due to the power of homeopathy, all that dinosaur piss has actually increased over time. We're all just chugging straight velociraptor urine.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Torquemada posted:

Due to the power of homeopathy, all that dinosaur piss has actually increased over time. We're all just chugging straight velociraptor urine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

There were water wars, iirc.

There were Resource Wars, during which Israel got nuked and Europe fought the Middle East until both crumbled, but they were over oil and nuclear material.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Torquemada posted:

And I've never felt more powerful

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Mierenneuker posted:

Didn't the writer or whomever came up with that ending add that little dig in to be petulant after so many people bitched about the ending?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Didn't the writer or whomever came up with that ending add that little dig in to be petulant after so many people bitched about the ending?

Tbf, that specific phrasing is when you refuse to do it and instead make the Brotherhood of Steel lady who's with you do it instead.

The comedy option is where you refuse to do it and also refuse to give her the code, so she calls you an rear end in a top hat as the Jefferson Memorial explodes with you both in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The "and sacrifice her own life for the greater good of mankind." is specific to that human companion, yes. The sentence ends after "Project Purity" for the robot, ghoul and super mutant. The rest is the same.