Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012
Does Wallace and Gromit count as a movie?

Recently just watched The Wrong Trousers again and forgot how much I loved some of the little details:

There are two callbacks to the first film, A Grand Day Out, within the first two minutes, the first is the rocket mural on the wall and the second is the newspaper headline that Gromit's reading 'Moon Cheese Skyrockets!'

In another scene with Gromit reading a newspaper, one of the articles is headlined 'Dog reads newspaper'

Wallace keeps his piggy bank in a safe, behind a picture of a piggy bank.

When Wallace is fast asleep and walking up the side of the building there is an advert on the next building for sleeping pills.

The film noir and western references were completely lost on me as a child but there's a wonderful scene where Gromit is watching the Penguin and only his eyes are lit, leaving the rest of him in shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lemon-Shaped Rock posted:

The film noir and western references were completely lost on me as a child but there's a wonderful scene where Gromit is watching the Penguin and only his eyes are lit, leaving the rest of him in shadow.

The Wrong Trousers is amazing due to the amount of personality the three main characters show, despite only one of them being able to talk.

They are equivalent to Sherlock Holmes, Watson and Moriatry, with the real battle of wits happening between Gromit and the penguin. They manage to portray the penguin in such a sinister way despite him being made of plasticine and with no facial features besides his eyes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Recently just watched The Wrong Trousers again and forgot how much I loved some of the little details:

There are two callbacks to the first film, A Grand Day Out, within the first two minutes, the first is the rocket mural on the wall and the second is the newspaper headline that Gromit's reading 'Moon Cheese Skyrockets!'

In another scene with Gromit reading a newspaper, one of the articles is headlined 'Dog reads newspaper'

Wallace keeps his piggy bank in a safe, behind a picture of a piggy bank.

When Wallace is fast asleep and walking up the side of the building there is an advert on the next building for sleeping pills.

I like how subtle Feathers McGraw's disguise is. :v:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Dan Didio posted:

According to the people behind it, it's a satellite piece that broke off and crashed into the water, which woke the monster.

It's a pretty strangely over-complicated bit of information which really, really isn't important at all.
It would have been better if they'd ever actually finished the backstory, which was mostly done in the ARG. But since that was abandoned, it is pretty useless.

Super 8 has a really great moment for Cloverfield fans. If you take a good look at the alien, its body is very similar to the Cloverfield monster's. That seems to imply that the two creatures diverged from a common ancestor. One creature would become a semi-aquatic giant beast that never developed a need for higher cognitive functions; like any other animal, it just eats and behaves on instinct. The alien, however, evolved similarly to humans, eventually becoming a high-functioning creature with advanced cognitive and technological capabilities. Why one is on Earth and the other is in space isn't clear, but it definitely seems intentional that the Super 8 alien looks so much like Clovey.

EDIT: Apparently, J.J. Abrams is against that interpretation, but his comments seem to really overlook how structurally similar the creatures's bodies are. The Super 8 alien has a very similar cranial shape, including what looks like it could have once been the air sacs that are prominently on Clovey's head; Clovey, meanwhile, has vestigial limbs where the alien's abdominal limbs are developed.

Taliaquin has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jun 14, 2012

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

In A Matter Of Loaf And Death, the final sequence is a brilliant homage to Aliens. It becomes pretty obvious when you reach a certain shot, but before that there are a bunch of subtle references, including a shot of Wallace scrambling through a trench with a grating over it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Leovinus posted:

In A Matter Of Loaf And Death, the final sequence is a brilliant homage to Aliens. It becomes pretty obvious when you reach a certain shot, but before that there are a bunch of subtle references, including a shot of Wallace scrambling through a trench with a grating over it.

I had to watch it because of that reason right there (plus, Wallace & Gromit) and I must say I also got quite a kick out of the "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" gag.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Call me slow, but I didn't notice until this year why it sounded so familiar in Toy Story when Hamm says "Heyyy, Woody."

Cheers is on Netflix now.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

In Life of Brian there is this once scene.

Brian: You can't let people tell you what to do! You're all individuals!
the crowd: YES WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS
one guy who pipes up afterwards: Oh I'm not

Apparently that was a total adlib from a extra( who then got paid a little more because he had a speaking part)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Apparently that was a total adlib from a extra( who then got paid a little more because he had a speaking part)

There's another great scene where Pontius Pilate is interrogating Brian and the royal guards are trying not to laugh. Their restrained laughter is genuine, as the extras playing guards were told they would be fired if they laughed.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Taliaquin posted:

It would have been better if they'd ever actually finished the backstory, which was mostly done in the ARG. But since that was abandoned, it is pretty useless.

Super 8 has a really great moment for Cloverfield fans. If you take a good look at the alien, its body is very similar to the Cloverfield monster's. That seems to imply that the two creatures diverged from a common ancestor. One creature would become a semi-aquatic giant beast that never developed a need for higher cognitive functions; like any other animal, it just eats and behaves on instinct. The alien, however, evolved similarly to humans, eventually becoming a high-functioning creature with advanced cognitive and technological capabilities. Why one is on Earth and the other is in space isn't clear, but it definitely seems intentional that the Super 8 alien looks so much like Clovey.

EDIT: Apparently, J.J. Abrams is against that interpretation, but his comments seem to really overlook how structurally similar the creatures's bodies are. The Super 8 alien has a very similar cranial shape, including what looks like it could have once been the air sacs that are prominently on Clovey's head; Clovey, meanwhile, has vestigial limbs where the alien's abdominal limbs are developed.

That sounds more like uncreative monster design than a subtle tie-in.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Chamale posted:

The falling object was very clear in the theater, but that Youtube video is very bad quality compared to that. I looked at the video and couldn't see much of anything, but in the original movie you can see it.

Yeah. I saw it pretty clear in theatres but it's hard to see on a tiny youtube screen. I could just barely make it out in the youtube I posted (only when he replays it the third time), which is why I said "slightly better".

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely don't mean to be a poo poo, and maybe I'm missing something but what about this is subtle? I just took it as a joke, showcasing how language has changed over the years.

I don't remember if it was in II or III but at one point Doc and Marty switch catchphrases for a couple lines.

:smith: ...I have seen these movies way too many times.

E: fb; missed the other guy's post. Carry on!

Great Green Auk has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Jun 15, 2012

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
In Master and Commander there's a shot of Stephen clenching and flexing his hand before he starts to play the cello. It's only meaningful after you’ve read the books and know this is becausehe was captured while spying and tortured by the French

READ THE BOOKS, THEY ARE GOOD.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Are they as terribly heart breaking as the movie? Because that movie made me weep uncontrollably. Not as uncontrollably as A Beautiful Mind, but close.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

empty sea posted:

Are they as terribly heart breaking as the movie? Because that movie made me weep uncontrollably. Not as uncontrollably as A Beautiful Mind, but close.

Err, if you found the movie heartbreaking then I suppose? But I'd generally recommend them on their quality of characterization, humor, and a fairly nuanced historical setting (some people do initially get lost in ship jargon).

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Chantilly Say posted:

In Pulp Fiction, when Jules and Vincent go to Jimmy's house and Jules is trying to pacify Jimmy he has that line where he complements the coffee and Jimmy gives that speech about how he doesn't need Jules to tell him the coffee's good, he's the one who buys it.

Later Winston Wolfe shows up, asks Jimmy for a cup of coffee, takes a sip and in the middle of his sentence looks at Jimmy, smiles, and nods appreciatively. Subtle, but once you notice it, it's a great detail.

From the first page, but what's even more brilliant in this scene is that he refers to Marvin as "the dead friend of the family" about 3 or 4 times, then when it has the flash forward to his wife coming home and catching them, she's black.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OnlyJuanMon posted:

From the first page, but what's even more brilliant in this scene is that he refers to Marvin as "the dead friend of the family" about 3 or 4 times, then when it has the flash forward to his wife coming home and catching them, she's black.

Oh my god. I've seen that bit ten times and I never loving noticed.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I always hated that because it came off as a simpering little "see it's okay that he said those words."

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Little Blue Couch posted:

I always hated that because it came off as a simpering little "see it's okay that he said those words."

I think if that had been the intention, they would have brought it up earlier to defuse it during the scene, not as a brief shot you have to be paying attention for. I don't think Tarantino gave the remotest poo poo about saying it and certainly wouldn't have apologized for it. Especially as it's the basis for the funniest thing in the movie, which is a weedy white nerdy guy shouting "storing dead niggers ain't my loving business" at Samuel L. Bad Motherfucker Jackson and Jackson being all apologetic and not just blowing his head off. I love that little moment because it's so subtly ludicrous and played so straight. It's like a moment from a Coens movie.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Leovinus posted:

I think if that had been the intention, they would have brought it up earlier to defuse it during the scene, not as a brief shot you have to be paying attention for. I don't think Tarantino gave the remotest poo poo about saying it and certainly wouldn't have apologized for it. Especially as it's the basis for the funniest thing in the movie, which is a weedy white nerdy guy shouting "storing dead niggers ain't my loving business" at Samuel L. Bad Motherfucker Jackson and Jackson being all apologetic and not just blowing his head off. I love that little moment because it's so subtly ludicrous and played so straight. It's like a moment from a Coens movie.

My problem with that scene stems from a combination of the language and the fact that Tarantino cast himself, the writer and director, to say it. First of all, he's got a stupid face and a stupid voice and he's a bad actor. Second, that he wrote those lines, presumably knowing that he was the one who was going to deliver them, rankles me for reasons that I can't really put into words. I think the whole thing is really uncomfortable. Given that, it's possible that I'm just projecting my own insecurities onto Quentin Tarantino's giant projection screen of a forehead.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love Pulp Fiction, but The Bonnie Situation seriously reeks of "my wife is black, how can I be racist?"

Other Pulp Fiction subtlety: Koons' (Christopher Walken) monologue traces the Coolidge watch though 3 generations. The first two stories, WWI and WWII, are well-rehearsed, family-friendly tales of sacrifice and nobility. But when Koons reaches his personal Vietnam experience, he pauses...then launches into the obscene/absurd Hanoi-pit-of-Hell-uncomfortable-hunk-of-metal-up-my-rear end-for-7-years bit.

Koons spent so much time memorizing and practicing the stories of his friend, that when it came time to tell his own, he completely loses his poo poo.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

At the very beginning of Young Guns, it is established that Chavez (Lou Diamond Phillips) and Dirty Steve (Dermot Mulroney) don't like each other one bit. During the dinner scene, if you keep an eye on Chavez, you'll see him smile a couple times. The first time when John Tunstall (General Zod) tells Steve he will be "doing the dirty crockery alone" and the second time when Billy (Estevez) says "He was hackin' on me". It is a subtle thing, but very amusing once you notice it.

Young Guns Dinner Scene

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Little Blue Couch posted:

My problem with that scene stems from a combination of the language and the fact that Tarantino cast himself, the writer and director, to say it. First of all, he's got a stupid face and a stupid voice and he's a bad actor. Second, that he wrote those lines, presumably knowing that he was the one who was going to deliver them, rankles me for reasons that I can't really put into words.

Not that I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I'm pretty sure he was actually planning on having Eric Stoltz play Jimmy.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I always interpreted the falling satellite in the Cloverfield movie as the only reason the tape had been confiscated by the government. I seem to recall the text at the beginning saying that it was classified government property, and it's not like an event so huge would have been able to have been covered up. They even made a point to show a TON of people filming it with phones at one point.

So the real reason this one video was being kept hidden by the government? The thing falling from space at the end.

It was very visible in the theater once I knew where to look. I couldn't see it on that youtube video, however.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Heres Hank posted:

Not that I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I'm pretty sure he was actually planning on having Eric Stoltz play Jimmy.
IIRC, he decided he wanted to be behind the camera for Mia's overdose and the bit with the adrenaline needle.

Speaking of that scene, there's a bit where Stoltz' character goes into his room looking for a medical book. The camera lingers outside and we can't see what he's doing, we hear it, but we can clearly see that the room is a complete mess. It's a good way of building the tension of the scene.

There's a great documentary on cinematography called "Visions of Light", with a section on "Rosemary's Baby that explains better than I can how the technique works on the mind of a viewer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not sure how you guys would rate this in the subtlety scale, but in Snatch, when Turkish and Tommy go 'coarsing' (coursing?), and Turkish is explaining the rules, he says 'The hare gets hosed."

Tommy stops him and asks "What, proper hosed?"

Later on, when they're betting against Mickey and the Pikeys, Turkish bets that he 'reckons the hare gets hosed," to which Mickey replies "What, proper hosed? Ya like that London, eh?". Right after that, you get a quick glance of Tommy grinning, almost trying not to laugh, right until Turkish looks at him, and he stops, like he's been scolded.

It really solidified, to me, the different feelings Tommy and Turkish have towards the entire Pikey situation.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Lord Lambeth posted:

Huh? It's in the printed/published script, credited to Dennis (which is a callback to the character of the same name in "Holy Grail"), who later turns up to buy the gourd. It is a brilliant line though.

Yeah, I'm a huge Python nerd. So?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is the only one I know of that hasn't been mentioned yet:

In Unbreakable, Sam Jackson's character is named Mr. Glass. Every time we are introduced to him (as a newborn, as a child and as an adult) we see him in reflection first.

As a newborn, he's reflected in the clothing store's full length mirror (And I think the camera swings around to show that we were looking at a reflection for the first few minutes)

As a kid, the scene opens with Mr. Glass reflected in the glass of a TV that's turned off, before the camera spins and we view the "real" kid.

Finally, as an adult, we see his face reflected in the glass protecting his artwork while he describes the painting, and the camera then pulls back revealing his real face.

I don't recall if there are other moments like that in the film, but those three are there for sure.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CzarChasm posted:

This is the only one I know of that hasn't been mentioned yet:

In Unbreakable, Sam Jackson's character is named Mr. Glass. Every time we are introduced to him (as a newborn, as a child and as an adult) we see him in reflection first.

God. When Kubrick did it, it was clever. When Shyamalan does it comes across like Baby's First Symbolism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CzarChasm posted:

I don't recall if there are other moments like that in the film, but those three are there for sure.
Another thing you'll notice in that movie, if you look for it, is how many shots emulate comic-book style 'frames' by having natural barriers on the right and left edges of the screen. Doorways. The pillars on the edge of the stadium. Train seats. Trees. Even the aisles of a comic shop.

Check it out in the trailer here.

I really quite like that movie. :)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PlantRobot posted:

In Master and Commander there's a shot of Stephen clenching and flexing his hand before he starts to play the cello. It's only meaningful after you’ve read the books and know this is becausehe was captured while spying and tortured by the French

READ THE BOOKS, THEY ARE GOOD.

I wish they would just make a sequel already! It sounds weird to say it, but as far as crossover appeal, Master and Commander was the best Star Trek movie since the Wrath of Khan. Russel Crowe said he wants to do a sequel and the other books in the series are just as good!!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

beefnoodle posted:

Huh? It's in the printed/published script, credited to Dennis (which is a callback to the character of the same name in "Holy Grail"), who later turns up to buy the gourd. It is a brilliant line though.

Yeah, I'm a huge Python nerd. So?

They edited the script after the fact?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish they would just make a sequel already! It sounds weird to say it, but as far as crossover appeal, Master and Commander was the best Star Trek movie since the Wrath of Khan. Russel Crowe said he wants to do a sequel and the other books in the series are just as good!!

I've always heard that it is really expensive and time-consuming to film ship movies, especially at sea. The Pirates movies are kind of anomalous, but it helps that the first one made three times as much as Master and Commander.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Phy posted:

I've always heard that it is really expensive and time-consuming to film ship movies, especially at sea. The Pirates movies are kind of anomalous, but it helps that the first one made three times as much as Master and Commander.

All I want out of this life is a bad rear end R-rated Pirate movie where screaming lobsterbacks get hacked to bits while the two ships trade broadside shots and a pirate captain duels with a British officer. :circlefap:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Leovinus posted:

God. When Kubrick did it, it was clever. When Shyamalan does it comes across like Baby's First Symbolism.

Unbreakable is a good movie. So is the Sixth Sense. Even Signs has good stuff in it. I think sometimes we are letting hindsight and current Shyamalan ruin the fact that he actually seemed quite good when he came around.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I just caught a little piece of The Jackal, a Richard Gere/Bruce Willis cat-and-mouse action thriller in which Willis plays an assassin with the titular... title. Willis is going to kill the president with a remote controlled gun. To get into the area, he's dressed as a cop. What I noticed this last time is that his badge has and designation: Sharpshooter.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I once read a massive post in (I think) BYOB about how The Prestige was one enourmous prestige trick itself and the whole main plot of the film was to distract you from what was really going on, however I was drunk and forgot it all and couldn't find it again - did I actually dream it?

And to contribute, with something from these forums themselves, in The Fifth Element, the only Contact Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman's characters have is when Willis gets fired from his job by Oldman (albeit somewhat indirectly) , otherwise despite being the hero and villain they never meet.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Speaking of The Prestige, when Sarah tells Borden that she's pregnant, he delightedly exclaims "We should've told Fallon!"

Since Fallon is the other Borden, he could well be the father of the child.

I'm in love with that movie :3:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

otherwise despite being the hero and villain they never meet.

The closest they come is when Dallas enters an elevator when escaping Fhloston Paradise; two seconds later, Zorg exits the neighbouring elevator.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
A really cool one from Die Another Day. In the scene where James Bond has just arrived in the Caribbean, he has some binoculars and a book about birds. The name of the book is "Birds Of The West Indies" and the author is James Bond, the guy the spy's named after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eating only apples posted:

The closest they come is when Dallas enters an elevator when escaping Fhloston Paradise; two seconds later, Zorg exits the neighbouring elevator.

I was going to put that in but I though it was superfluous :(

Near the beginning of the film when they're in the "reactor" or whatever it is and go through a UV cleaning room, the scientist guy has terrible UV dandruff which I hope is a nice touch from the director rather than real.