Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Al! posted:

That's great because I've wanted to play a futuristic GTA for a while. I want someone to go further and make a GTA set in the Transmetropolitan universe, however.

Well, CD Projekt, the makers of the Witcher, are making a game based off of R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk table-top game.

Edit: about the game on hand, I hadn't considered that it was pre-rendered gameplay, but I figured it was setpiece sandbox like like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol. Considering what I've seen with open-world, free-roam sandboxes like GTA4 and Saints Row The Third, I can tell you that's not on a current generation platform. Both those games, especially SRTT, are severely limited in the size and scope because they're chained to current platforms. PC, as it's been speculated, might be more in line to what we've seen, but the final product still has to deal with the technical limitations of almost 8 year old hardware, unless they're going to be ports of some uberadvanced PC version.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

I thought that was sort of... well, neat. There's potential there to insinuate how far gone your character is by showing the consequences of your actions in terms of human life and giving you an ingame choice to react to them. Although that could get hilarious quick, ala GTA, if you're blowing up gas mains & killing entire crowds of bystanders just to take out one target, then in cut scenes you pull a "Sam please. He had a family." whenever NPCs show disregard for human life.

In SRTT, I always paused to see if I killed a pedestrian. If they got up, I determined that they were okay and should walk it off. Also, I imagine that I move too fast in the game to catch Legal Lee and the Saints-Ultor legal team running around behind my path of destruction, delivering payouts for injury and emotional damages.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'm still hoping for a military shooter that forces you to acknowledge Geneva Conventions somehow. Maybe even one in the vein of Band of Brothers, where Winters just stopped shooting his weapon completely. Until I see a second anti-war game I simply won't believe games are art.

For those interested, the first and to my knowledge only anti-war game was Theatre Europe, a 1985 game about World War 3. From Wikipedia:

The manual is also solidly written, especially the designers notes.

Sorry, this is slightly off topic. I'll shut up now.

Balance of Power had the game instantly end whenever you went nuclear, with a black screen stating that ""You have ignited a nuclear war. And no, there is no animated display of a mushroom cloud with parts of bodies flying through the air. We do not reward failure."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, I'm wondering how the "AR personal knowledge" thing can actually work. Does that mean that everyone you encounter is going to have some facet of information, like "HIV Positive" and "Guilty of Plagarism", that is persistent within the game? Because that sounds like it's going to eat a lot of memory.

I know most free-roam games (going off the Saints Row games) are built were NPCs just respawn out of visual range. Unless it's Bethesda, who've been known to named persistent NPCs, with their own routines and quirks, throughout their games. I can't see having a city of people with their own autonomous routines and personal data that can be exploited being that large or that populated.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Its set in Chicago not Cyrodil, there are literally millions of people in that city. Its going to be like saints row spawning NPCs in visual range except drawing from a database of random embarassing information to superimpose over their heads.

That's what I'm saying. The thing is, the RPS interview suggest that you can follow that "Plagarist" woman, find her laptop, then hack it to find evidence of her repeating her plagarism and then blackmail her. That's a bit beyond "superimposing random embarrassing data over their heads".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah, it sounds like certain tags might lead to little side missions.

This is kinda what I'm hoping that the AR pop-ups will do. But, if everyone has it, how are you going to separate the wheat from the chaff? The guy whose HIV+ or had his loans denied might have equally exploitable missions as the plagiarist. I know that the "teaches krav maga" and "military experience" pop-ups can be used to denote threats.

Really, it seems like an almost impossible to achieve gameplay element, at least with current technology. I'll probably follow this, but they better have something that's playable than what everyone suspects is a pre-rendered tech demo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Smart Car posted:

It's why there's so little freedom for the player in a lot of games, it makes it easier to keep the graphical quality high while giving an illusion of the AI routines being complex.

This is why I'm fearful of the Watch Dogs demo. The graphics quality feels way to high for a game that supposed to give you a lot of freedom.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Electric Pope posted:

Good AI doesn't necessarily mean AI that's harder to beat. It's AI that you beat/beats you in more interesting ways than "shot more bullets". One aspect of good AI for some games, for instance, is AI that reacts appropriately to distractions, or expresses and acts on fear.

This goes back to the game where I felt like I was fighting real human beings, Half Life. I had become use to enemies with predefined patrol paths and attacking and charging whenever you were in their line of sight. That changed when I fought the trio of marines in "We Got Hostiles". If they spotted you, they would lay down covering fire and try to flank you. If you disappeared from their line of sight, they would start throwing grenades to dissuade you from cover and back into their kill zones. The Black Ops women were worse, since they were almost invisible, quicker and agile than the marine grunts, and firing silenced pistols.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

The new preview was scripted all to poo poo and has done nothing to dissuade me of my skepticism of this game. Visually it looked nice, I guess.

Same here. The little chase through the pharmacy looks interesting but, knowing from other open world games, that's just a setpiece. There's probably a cutscene or a mission element there in the real game or it's just made up for this demo. Every building in virtual Chicago is not going to be built to that level of detail or even that accessible. It's already looking like most of the people aren't hackable and, those that are, the information looks to be just flavor text likely randomized and useless to the game. Can you do anything with "Pro-Life activist" or "Iraq War Veteran"? It's not like you're going to talk to them, the walking ATM hackbags that they are.

I liked the "Person of Interest" probability machine, but it seems like those tagged in that way are going to be the only people that have some sort of interactivity. Who knows how many they can be, probably as many as Oblivion or Skyrim NPCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

That 'quote' is actually based on recent news in real life that shows how you can actually do stuff like that with some certain specific devices. It has nothing to do with the game and almost certainly won't be a mechanic but somehow that is a real thing people can do given the technology.

Yeah, it was a research paper at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society Symposium on Security and Privacy in 2008 that demonstrated how it could be done and defenses against such attacks. Recently, a security researcher at McAfee named Barnaby Jack hacked an unimplanted insulin injector to dump its entire contents, which would kill someone and hack a pacemaker to deliver a 830-volt heart attack. Of course, Jack died two weeks ago, right before he was to attend a Black Hat conference in Las Vegas, where he would have talked about vulnerabilities in implanted medical devices.

So, truth is stranger than fiction.

• Locked thread