Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Trailer was all kinds of awesome, sorta like Hitman: the hacker.

My honest worry is that it's going to suffer under Asssassin's Creed 2 syndrome: You got whole goddamn ANCIENT ITALIAN CITIES modelled, with people in it and such, just so you could... climb some roofs and have some swordfights in a game made for 10-year olds. I almost cried because such a waste of so much work, because there is no end in ways you could have loads more awesome games made if you have so complete and exciting setting.

Also, submenus in submenus in menus. AC went really too far adding non-important poo poo into gameplay: How many players actually used bombs, guns and such? I'm afraid that if you're in a car chase, remembering to fiddle with bridges is the last thing in your mind. You do in once in a tutorial, and forget for the rest of the game.

Let's hope they figured their problems out by now.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Edit: about the game on hand, I hadn't considered that it was pre-rendered gameplay, but I figured it was setpiece sandbox like like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol.

If it's anything like Alpha Protocol, Ubisoft can make me pay twice and still get a sale.
If it's anything like Mass Effect, Ubisoft should look into making their DRM even more anal.
Those two games do not belong into same sentence.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I know most free-roam games (going off the Saints Row games) are built were NPCs just respawn out of visual range. Unless it's Bethesda, who've been known to named persistent NPCs, with their own routines and quirks, throughout their games. I can't see having a city of people with their own autonomous routines and personal data that can be exploited being that large or that populated.

Actually, I've been wondering why we don't have autonomous NPC's yet?
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion promised this, but didn't deliver. But It's not really that hard or complex to do: NPC's can walk up and down the stairs, drive cars to specific location and enter doors in almost every newer game. I don't think writing a piece of code named "wander randomly around supermarket shelves" or anything of the sort would be hard to do with powerful toys modern game engines have.

All you have to do is specify a home, workplace, car and maybe grocery store for character, make a schedule to use those as waypoints, and randomize a bit. Or make social classes: worker, tourist, criminal, etc and make waypoints according to those.

Where is it in games?

In the other hand...
Achievement: one man, one city.
No matter what nature or how lovely the game is otherwise, everybody would try to achieve this if NPCs didn't respawn :D

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 7, 2012

• Locked thread