Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

blackguy32 posted:

The game's premise reminds me of the villain's scheme in Live Free or Die Hard.

It's roughly as realistic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Sex Vicar posted:

While normally I roll my eyes at developers jacking the "In Gimmick" every year like when every game suddenly had an XP Bar next year after COD4 had it. Everyone jacking the gently caress out of Demons Souls/Dark Souls style multiplayer is perfectly fine with me.

Very interested to see where this goes next.

You know I hadn't thought of it that way. What if the coop people aren't always on your side? A Soul's style invasion could be absolutely amazing in an open world setting like this.

Could be in the middle of heading to a mission when all of a sudden a train car comes barreling at you and then boom it's full on hacker fight.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ash.W posted:

Could the final exchange between you & DeMarco be only partly-scripted? I don't know a lot about how things work, but perhaps the poses and dialogue remain the same regardless of location, and there are a few canned actions which result in him ending up on the floor (pull out of car, throw, hit with baton, etc).

There's only replay value if you can do things several ways. COD is a blast for a playthrough, but who touches SP twice?

I doubt that everything is super scripted an linear like that I mean I don't really think a company would promote a game now a days by calling it an open world game if they didn't mean GTA style open world.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah, the problem is that people are assuming that the next gen consoles are somehow magically going to be better than the best gaming PCs that can be built today. While consoles have been stagnating, PCs have just about reached the limits of what we can do with the current technology.

And it would be a launch window game, so they're usually the low end of what the consoles might end up capable of.

The benefit to next gen consoles isn't that they can pump out more polygons and have better graphics. It's the issue of memory or lack there of in current consoles. An xbox has 512 mb of ram and has to spend a chunk of that on dashboard stuff. Compared to your modern pc that has somewhere between 1-16 gb of ram and the difference is astonishing. Not in pure graphical fidelity but in complexity and variation of things on screen. A modern console at the level of modern pcs would allow an open world game to not have to despawn cars when you turn around, have hundreds more types of civilians and cars on screen, more advanced and varied AI, cloth and skin physics on everything, dynamic metal deformation and debris that actually stay for more then a few seconds.

More ram would allow people to make a dense city open world game and have every building be fully destructible and enterable. Stuff that's just impossible to do all at once all the time when you have to make sure it runs on something with a couple hundred mb of usable ram.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

Too bad we can't say for sure yet. It sure is trendy to make games into slightly interactive machinma right now... so hopefully the adventure/exploration holds up here and they're onto something big.

Eh I dunno about that they wouldn't be hyping the game as an open world gta style game if it wasn't an open world gta style game. It's not gonna be like heavy rain or whatever.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4KO2eQeLJ8

The first minute here.

I am seriously disturbed by this.

The grossest part about the Splinter Cell stuff is just that they open up this demo with Fisher going in and killing guys who are not doing anything beyond unloading small boxes while completely unarmed. It's that gritty realism while being realistically gross about things that actually happens in real life.

It's one thing to say "Ok Kratos just ripped that elephant man's brains out" but hey at least that is a violent angry elephant man who was just trying to goober Kratos and yes hey GTA has you killing hookers but it's so goofy you can't really take it seriously.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 7, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Seems like the theme of this E3 is using inappropriate clips in your trailers and press events oh and also bows. Everyone was doing it I mean drat Nintendo spent several minutes hyping up Arkham City and none of the new wiiu games. The dead space 3 guys show an action packed trailer while openly admitting that's not the smartest thing to do. Rapey tomb raider trailers and warcrime filled splinter cell demos are just the tip of it all.

Hell watch_dogs was probably the least violent major game shown as he only busted out that gun when the security guys started shooting. Seemed like not really anyone was hurt in the car crashes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm really glad they are adopting a more mass effect style of reputation system rather then the traditional super jesus/super satan morality system in a lot of games. I was worried when they said this game would have a morality system in it cause holy gently caress does it always seem ridiculous so I like that it's less morality and more what kind of Batman do you want to be.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Those titles are all really bad.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Well I think it's valid suggestion since every game should have a doughnut mode.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

What the hell happened to this game. It was cruising right a long with multiple different playable builds all over the place then suddenly ghost town.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Man I am super bummed that the dark souls invasion style multiplayer got changed at some point. That sounded so much fun in an open world setting and I really have zero interest in another gta style multiplayer capture the poo poo mode.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUIowUR4r0o

Yeah, here's them showing off that exact multiplayer system from the point of view of both the hacker and hackee, along with the smartphone integration multiplayer AND the competitive combat one.

God damnit I only saw the giantbomb video where Brad says that the invasion mp wasn't in anymore.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Just wait a week or two before getting it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I didn't see anyone mention this mode, Online Tailing. According to the previously linked multiplayer article all you have to do is follow the other player around the city.

That's it. Just following. I must say, that is perhaps the best possible objective they could add, just imagine driving around just having some fun, popping into the gun store to reload on ammo and seeing a red car. Then you drive around some more, go off to side mission maybe, you park up and see the red car again. Same make and model. Then you walk up to the red car, shove your gun into the driver's face and unload.

At that point you notice your reputation bar go down and that you were needlessly paranoid. :suicide:

Are you loving kidding me?

Thank loving jesus we get an online version of the assassin's creed follow someone for loving ever mission. Never change Ubisoft.

God I hate those missions who thought that we wanted more of them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

It just blows my mind that they are dead set on finding some way to make following a person missions into every video game they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

And you just know that 1 hour after release someone will make a crack to give you every special super edition unlock.

• Locked thread