Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It has all the trappings of a free-roaming game: a map and compass with hotspots highlighted on it, hijack-able cars, ring of police notoriety etc. I have a hard time seeing how it could be anything else. What makes you think "oh there's no way this could be free"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HoveringCheesecake posted:

No kidding. I love NYC to death, but Chicago is awesome as well. I could clearly make out Marina City in the background during the traffic light incident.

Hopefully more games decide to make faithful recreations of the cities that they take place in like this and LA Noire. I suppose you could kind of lump Human Revolution into that as well for Detroit. GTA 4 was nice, but it was more of a rough approximation. And boring as gently caress once you finished everything.

It's pretty awesome how identifiably Chicago it is. I knew it took place in that city within a couple of seconds despite only having visited it briefly twice in my life.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

keyframe posted:

Like I said last page I have a friend who play tested the thing and he said it plays like a futuristic GTA. So set your expectations with that in mind.

The missions in GTA are completely linear as well but you can still walk around and do sandbox "rear end in a top hat simulator" which is where the real fun is.

That's great because I've wanted to play a futuristic GTA for a while. I want someone to go further and make a GTA set in the Transmetropolitan universe, however.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cactus posted:

I just like the way the main dude walks around.

I like the way he half-heartedly holds his gun behind his back like he kinda doesn't want anyone to see but doesn't really care.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the black husserl posted:

I was disturbed by the begging and pleading guy from the demo. Not going to play the game if I have to slaughter innocents that cry when their loved ones get shot.

Because you'd prefer be able to kill innocents indiscriminately like every other game? Actual moral consequences based on your emotional reaction rather than how much of the bad guy meter you want to fill is awesome.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the black husserl posted:

No Im okay with shooting a imp/nazi in doom but if the NPCs are going to go "noo....please...oh god....answer me..." when their digital friends die, I'm going to think twice about killing them. If the game makes me kill them, I'm going to be too freaked out to play.

Dogg if you cause a bunch of digital cars to virtually crash into each-other you are a cyber monster and deserve to be robotreated as such.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I'm going to call it and say that the next next CoD game will let you stealth kill Arabs as they do their daily prayers.

Maybe not CoD but Sam Fisher is already ripping the throats out of unarmed Doctors Without Borders volunteers because they dared to speak Arabic and treat a wounded guy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

-Dethstryk- posted:

No. I've watched that clip so many times, and while it's brutal, people are adding in their own narrative because there isn't enough context to tell you any of this poo poo.

He just comes in with a wounded guy as an opening to get into position. Who knows who the people were.

I'm sure that in the narrative of the game they're evil Mohammedans who were just about to blow up New York with a dirty nuclear anthrax bomb. But since, like you said, there isn't enough context I'm just going to assume that it's the more realistic scenario.

Which is why I like what this game is showing. You shoot a civilian and you look like a monster.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Balance of Power had the game instantly end whenever you went nuclear, with a black screen stating that ""You have ignited a nuclear war. And no, there is no animated display of a mushroom cloud with parts of bodies flying through the air. We do not reward failure."

Remember that in the 80's the threat of a nuclear apocalypse was still very real and very present. If you did that today people would assume that you hate war and therefore you hate the troops.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

That could be presented in a really neat way too, sort of Mirror's Edge, minus the coordinated gymnastics. Fights, in theory, shouldn't happen because your planning horizon for a job accounts for everything. If something goes wrong, or you plan lousy and are caught, it should be more of a cat and mouse game, where you clumsily try to evade the enemy. Picking up a gun could switch to a woozily swaying, awkward first person view; your character pants and curses under their breath, tries firing the gun with the safety on, almost always misses when they do successfully fire and generally your view of the action becomes disoriented after doing so, as the kickback from the gun jerks the character around. Maybe sometimes you accidentally pick up a hot gun by the barrel, don't know how to reload them, etc. There could be a lot of fun tension behind being a great hacker who is just totally incompetent at violence.

Unfortunately if you read the RPS story they seem to be committed to the idea of it being a game where you spend a lot of time shooting, it just depends on how many civilians are around when you start shooting. I wonder if after hearing people go "your game looks great, but why all the gunplay?" for the next six months they might start rethinking their plan.

After all, why did they make such a big deal about him getting a gun smuggled to him if every bad guy is going to be heavily armed and "shoot man" is just going to be the main way you interact with them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

This is kinda what I'm hoping that the AR pop-ups will do. But, if everyone has it, how are you going to separate the wheat from the chaff? The guy whose HIV+ or had his loans denied might have equally exploitable missions as the plagiarist. I know that the "teaches krav maga" and "military experience" pop-ups can be used to denote threats.

Really, it seems like an almost impossible to achieve gameplay element, at least with current technology. I'll probably follow this, but they better have something that's playable than what everyone suspects is a pre-rendered tech demo.

I don't know in what crazy way you are visualizing this but to me it seems simple: some types of tags will be highlighted, and you will click in the right stick or press the U key or whatever to start a "blackmail" or a "data stealing" mission. But even if every NPC had missions tied to them, it doesn't seem unreasonable that you would just start a generic mission where you follow that NPC for a while until it goes to a bank or apartment building, hack objective X, mission complete. I doubt every single NPC will have a unique mission type, home, routine, likes, dislikes, etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The way I understand it it's because you'd need a decent amount of memory overhead to keep track of all those routines and schedules and the like, so multiply that by the number of NPCs you'd need to make a city feel "full" and you've blown way past the 512 megs of memory in an xbox.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's overstating it a little. It got pretty creepy when a guy tried to feel up Lara (and subsequently received a knee to the crotch) but that's it, right? I kind of feel like calling that "very rapey" is downplaying how horrible actual rape is.

What exactly do you think he was setting out to do just then? Just creep her out?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

Better yet how about hacking or just calling the police about some bank robbers using automatic weapons and then just sitting back and watching SWAT gun them all down.

I don't have an issue with killing your targets, I don't even have an issue with doing it by shooting them in the face. What I don't like is having to shoot through a legion of pointless faceless mooks to get to them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

If I wanted to see a blurry pixelated picture of the el I'd use Google Image Search.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

It reminds me of how Dishonored had this big splash when it first was announced and then went dark until they were a few months from release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The funnier part, to me, is that the game is setting itself up as some sort of high-surveillance society and yet the main character will be able to open fire and cause explosions in the middle of one of America's largest cities, eventually probably killing thousands of people (including dozens of cops, I'm sure) and will somehow not be the subject of a nationwide manhunt after his first shooting spree. They should probably rename the game to Shoot_Dogs.

• Locked thread