Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
3 minutes in and the Gibson detector in my brain was going off full blast. Others have said it but I'll reiterate it: even if it's just Zero History: The Linear Third Person Shooter, I'll eat this poo poo up. And given the "control train" option and the "get into car and drive wherever" getaway, this is looking less like a scripted shooter and more like an at least partially open world game.

So...

Take my money etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nail Rat posted:

What I want to know is, in this game if I get back on the el within an hour do I get the transfer price? My immersion hinges upon this.
Your super hacker phone makes sure you get the transfer price ever time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

the black husserl posted:

I was disturbed by the begging and pleading guy from the demo. Not going to play the game if I have to slaughter innocents that cry when their loved ones get shot.
I don't think you have to. I mean if you just wait until the car shows up at the art show you can shoot him there, I imagine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

the black husserl posted:

No Im okay with shooting a imp/nazi in doom but if the NPCs are going to go "noo....please...oh god....answer me..." when their digital friends. I'm going to think twice about killing them. If the game makes me kill them, I'm going to be too freaked out to play.

Then this game will be amazing and the Non-Murder-Simulator I have been waiting for!
Well it looks like you are going to have to kill people, just not everyone.

Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suj8Ukbl6zY

Details: single player, player character has been "hurt," he can hack into stuff (NO REALLY?!)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe you can shoot the gas station next to them, causing it to explode and killing them. Or just shoot the gas tank of the car they're driving, causing it to explode and killing them. Or hack their lucky brick of C4, causing it to explode and killing them.

Actually, considering that the gameplay demo didn't even give you a choice about killing the guy (when the player got close, it went into a cutscene where the guy got shot...) I'm not so sure they care about nonlethal methods.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New screenshot. Yeah, just one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A this point I'm more worried about the game pulling off 10% of the crazy poo poo they're promising than I am about whether the port will be any good. UbiSoft's PC ports have been good (Assassin's Creed) and... not good (From Dust) so we just have to hold our breath and hope I guess.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm not sure how much it's worth pointing out games that are well written (Kentucky Route Zero, Analogue: A Hate Story, The Stanley Parable, To the Moon, etc.) when everything we've seen from Watch Dogs so far suggests that it's going to have a narrative that hangs together about as well as you would expect from a game that has to give you reasons to run around Chicago doing whatever the gently caress you want with batons and guns and a magic hacking cell phone, which is to say the narrative isn't going to work at all. Because unless they go balls out and pull some sort of Spec Ops: The Line meta-anti-narrative about open world games, we're either going to get a massive amount of ludonarrative dissonance at best or a stupid loving story that justifies stupid loving cool poo poo at worst.

Not like I care - I'm not going to buy Watch Dogs because I want to read someone's lovely Pattern Recognition/Spook Country/Zero History fanfic, I'm going to buy Watch Dogs because I want to be magic cell phone rear end in a top hat in Chicago.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AlmightyBob posted:

What's with all the color separation in that trailer? Isn't it supposed to be in the future?
It's the hip new visual effect.

I'm sort of disappointed that this is less of the low key "it's a big deal that there's a gun involved" sort of adventure/action/hacking puzzle game from the first footage we saw and more of a "Grand Theft Magic Smartphone Chicago" but whatever, I hope it's fun.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
...of single player.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm pretty sure that's just placeholder text and in the full game everything will be procedurally generated so you'll never see the same line twice. Of course, the downside is that descriptors will be random strings of text like "agahdipwte" and so on, but such is the price we pay for uniqueness I suppose.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ah but you see in this video game our protagonist belongs to an elite group of hackers known as the "Watch Dogs" and each member is referred to as a "Dog" so truly that guard was eerily prescient in the last 5 seconds of his life. I also like how apparently killing people hired to guard a building in Chicago is somehow going to fit into the game full of complex moral choices. Anyone other than a psychopath is locked out from even incapacitating people I guess.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hel posted:

Now I don't know much about it but hope hope it's not just that if they see you they know it's your car. Sure if they are looking for you and know what car you drove last they should find you pretty easily but you should be able to get away in a different vehicle, especially if it's just a helicopter that spots you since they can really see into the car.

Speaking of stealth I'm kind of hoping that you're not wanted all the time since not being able to do stuff like shopping because you're wanted seems like it would be annoying, but tearing down posters to lower notoriety like in AC wouldn't work in a modern setting.
Hack the TV that's showing your picture before anyone sees it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can you imagine how much it would loving suck to go through a bad breakup with Aiden Pierce? He'd hack your Facebook, post nude pics of you on public billboards, call the cops on you for fake stuff, cancel all your credit cards, get drunk one night and broadcast a tear-filled rant about your time together over a shopping mall's PA system...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Naturally Selected posted:

Isn't that pretty much the whole plot of the game?
Yeah now that I think about it I guess that's pretty close, except also sometimes he shoots you.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The question is how many minutes it will take between the game being released and a video going up on YouTube of Aiden Pierce rickrolling Chicago.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ak Gara posted:

I was looking up differences on the PS3 vs PS4 version, and I found this. People are arguing over if it's a PS4 version or not, but the 2012 E3 trailer does look better. What's up with that? I hope it wasn't just a tech demo, and that the PS4 version does look like that.
If you can find an E3 game announcement trailer for a game that actually looks like how the game ends up looking then you win some sort of prize.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At this point if you expect anything out of an AAA game's story other than incoherence, massive ludonarrative dissonance, uninspired characterization, hackneyed dialog, and default unreflective cynicism about everything except how awesome it is to shoot people in the face with a handgun or silently choke them to death from behind in four seconds, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
UbiSoft really wants people to hear about why this was delayed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Caufman posted:

Death by vending machine, how pointlessly tragic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CJacobs posted:

Oh, I figured it was closer to fall. That makes more sense then. I was gonna say, I live near Chicago and he'd probably die of a heat stroke if he was wandering around wearing that in the summer/fall! Muh immersion! :downs:

Alan Wake continues to go unexplained.
Alan Wake takes place in western Washington, right? It can get chilly there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Going with 6 legs rather than 8 presents an opportunity to save 25% on leg manufacturing costs per robot.

• Locked thread