Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

the black husserl posted:

I was disturbed by the begging and pleading guy from the demo. Not going to play the game if I have to slaughter innocents that cry when their loved ones get shot.

That's the point. At least, from what I gathered, reading HEAVILY into what was shown, it's supposed to invoke an emotional reaction the the player so you DON'T act like an utter sociopath. This isn't supposed to be the GTA where you drive down the street speed-bumping people while listening to Weasel News.

Similar aesthetic to GTA 4, but different genre. I like it. I'm going to be watching this game with great interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flamadiddle posted:

It certainly looked like the player was obligated to assassinate that guy, so I can understand there being no non-lethal outcome. Do we know if the main character is actually a hitman yet?

The feel I got, based on the dialogue in the 'credits' portion, was that he was some kind of vigilante. Or, if not that, believed he had some cause to go put a pair in this guy's skull.

Or he's a terrorist. It's pretty much a terrorists' wet dream to be able to control societies infrastructure like that. After all, why build bombs when you can just turn all the traffic lights to green and cause fatal pileups at every intersection? What his cause is is completely unknown right now though, at least from my perspective. They really gave us just enough to speculate on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, for how loving cool this game looks it's important to remember that unless it's coming out of Valve video game writing is really, really loving terrible. Don't get your hopes up too high and fly close to the sun.

Hopefully it's GTA enough that I can focus on being cyberpunk Robin Hood and loving up cyberpunk Rorschachs, while ignoring any lovely piece of Eden bullshit (I didn't play AC beyond the first game). Because stealing the tobacco executive's money and giving it to the Iraq war veteran would make me happy, and moralizing on people who are 'sloppy' would make me happier.

First time I've been excited for an Ubisoft game in so long.

Watch Dogs.: These Dogs Are Wide Awake

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VagueRant posted:

The Walking Dead game is the most well written incarnation of the cross-media franchise, so shut up about video game stories forever. :colbert:

That said, the writing in WatchunderscoreDogs almost certainly will be terrible, but that's because the game is by Ubisoft.

WatchCreed 4: Occupy Eden

Phobophilia posted:

Or maybe summon a shitload more enemies in the lategame, while the Good players get some cool lategame powers. Like Summon: Flash Mob or Invoke: Occupy on buildings you don't like.

Or get a shitload of money from Kickstarter: The Revolution

I was going to jump on your case for trying to inject Star Wars morality into cyberpunk, but the idea of being able to summon Occupy protesters at will seems tremendously fun for some reason. But you can't just go 'evil=easy and fast but risky,' because the reason it works in Star Wars is because evil makes you more evil. You start off stealing a schoolteacher's paycheck to fund your Batman activities, and the Dark Side drives you to go back and choke her until she gives you more because you want a new Death Star. Otherwise evil becomes objectively more pragmatic than being a decent human being.

Don't get me wrong. People should play the game to have fun, and if being a puppy eating monster is your idea of fun, power to you. But if I want to be good guy Greg, then I'm going to feel more than a bit cheated when you tout this moral freedom, then 'punish' me by making it harder for me to play the game while the puppy-eater gets everything quick and easy. Because lets face it: risk/reward in a video game rarely works because you're the protagonist. The game doesn't make you have any real, long term consequences. The cops come, shoot at you, you either kill them all, or die and reload.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Watch Dogs: With 100% Less Dogs

• Locked thread