Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plavski posted:

This is all just going by that gameplay clip, but if it's representitive of the finished product, it'll just be like a modern Assassin's Creed with cover-based shooting, rechargeable health and a couple more gimmicks.

If that's the worst way this game can turn out, I'll take it.

For what it's worth, I did get the vibe that the demo was heavily scripted and they don't have many real gameplay mechanics coded in yet. The demo was meant to showcase how they expect the game to play out, not how the game will play out. It's a proof of concept, basically. We just have to wait and see if they deliver on that. If they do, then awesome. If they don't, then we still might get a cool free roaming assassination game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plavski posted:

The trailer was very... rapey.

That's overstating it a little. It got pretty creepy when a guy tried to feel up Lara (and subsequently received a knee to the crotch) but that's it, right? I kind of feel like calling that "very rapey" is downplaying how horrible actual rape is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ubisoft PR seems to be pushing the "it's up to the player to decide how to play!!" aspect really hard. Every other question in interviews is being answered with that. With that said, it's probably possible to find mostly non-violent solutions for most situations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

:sigh: When it's released on PS3 and 360 next year(as it's been announced already), people will still be saying they think it's for next-gen and not current-gen consoles.

Probably because it will also be released on next gen consoles at the same time. I suspect it will be like Hitman Blood Money or Splinter Cell Double Agent. Ubisoft is being very cagey about what platforms it will be on, despite them announcing for ps3, 360, and PC. Also, the announcement that it will be released in 2013 was just a tweet that was taken down very quickly, so who knows?

DropsySufferer posted:

I just hope you don't have to shoot every "bad guy" in the game. I'd like something a little different then the open world shooter. Deus Ex:HR got that part right by not forcing me to kill anyone (except the stupid outsourced boss battles).

They do a non-lethal takedown of the guard in the back of the club.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I assume a big part of the game is you killing bad dudes who have escaped the system, hence "Watch Dogs". You use your cyber hacking skills to uncover a web of corruption and find the bad guys that the law can't touch and punish them for their crimes sort of thing. And that's fine, but like was said, I kinda wish you did it in a more unique way than gunning down nameless mooks to get close to your target. Which is entirely likely, but I'd like to see it before I start getting too excited.

You may have to wait a while. I doubt they show the game publicly again until maybe GDC next year. Maaaybe Pax Prime on labor day weekend but I doubt it, that's just a few months away and they wont have anything new to show, and Ubisoft would probably rather use that time showing AC3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Al! posted:

It reminds me of how Dishonored had this big splash when it first was announced and then went dark until they were a few months from release.

I wouldn't expect any additional media from the game until next E3. Maybe GDC if Ubisoft is feeling saucy but I'm putting my money on E3 2013 for when the next footage gets released.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's apparently supposed to be some sort of morality system represented in the game. So you can be as moral/immoral as you want and the game will presumably react to that. Although most probably in an unconvincing way. I really want the game to end up heavily criticizing a player who goes full Rorscharch but I can't imagine a game like Watch Dogs going too deep into that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wario In Real Life posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress is this?

It's not so much that the game has a screwed up moral compass, it's that the game is presenting itself as delivering a message on the ethics of surveillance/invasion of privacy. Based on what Ubisoft is doing, it's aspiring to be more than a goofy sandbox romp like Saints Row, but the type of gameplay they encourage has a chance of undermining their message.

Saints Row is a great series, but not every game sandbox game has to be so intentionally irreverent, and it's nice that Ubisoft is trying to do more, but maybe they should try going all the way with that attitude instead of half-assing it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

1stGear posted:

Sandbox games are literally never going to be good vehicles for stories because the plot will force you to be a repentant do-gooder and as soon as the player gains control they will go out and skullfuck a nun.

The only good open-world game story was Saint's Row 2 because the entire story was "Holy poo poo, you are a hosed up human being."

Maybe this is true. If so, then maybe they shouldn't try to ineffectively cram morals down the throats of players. It seems like they want to have their game to be more grounded, like an RPG with a morality system or something, but I really wonder if that will work out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The last point is a pretty good one. Video game writers stick by a schedule and are limited by the time and budget given to them. Whereas talented movie writers take as long as they want to write a movie and sell them to filmmakers, and authors the same for books. There's TV, which is on a schedule, but TV writing by and large is very much inferior to movie writing, with only a couple notable exceptions. For the other two points, it's something that will evolve over time. Most games don't have credited editors because usually the writers peer edit each others work, if there's multiple writers.

I'd say that the game with the best writing in recent time was probably The Walking Dead, they did a really phenomenal job writing those characters to be believable as human beings, and making you feel the full impact of the choices you make.

I don't think we can or should expect Watch Dogs to come anywhere close to this. As much as it wants to pretend to provide meaningful commentary on the issues it addresses, this is a Ubisoft open world game. Just look at how badly they botched Far Cry 3's story and writing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm wondering if the reason for the trailer "leak" is the whole NSA/PRISM poo poo that's going down right now, because once the "I'M WATCHING YOU" and "You'll never be free again" stuff hit, that's all I could think of, and I don't know just how shook people are right now. Don't want to make a big deal out of the game right now, so dump the trailer, minimize the hype, and hope everything dies down before the release date.

To be perfectly honest, they should probably try to capitalize on and embrace the scandal rather than try to shy away from evoking it. The whole message of Watch Dogs is supposedly that Big Brother is evil. This is a great opportunity for them to tap into the breach of trust with a message that could resonate with a lot of people. They would be really wise to market those aspects of the game as aggressively as possible while the PRISM stuff is still fresh in peoples' minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fact that they won't tell you when you're being targeted by other players and won't point them out on the UI seems really crazy to me, and I'm not sure if that's in a good way or a bad way (probably good). And that they're somehow accomplishing these invasions completely seamlessly with no load times seems like total technical wizardry to me. edit: Actually even though he didn't mention it, I bet there's a load time for the invading player, just not one for the invaded, like the Souls games.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 12, 2013

• Locked thread