Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sadly, I can't get Just Cause 2, or at least the cinematics, to run at the correct speed and stay in sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Adraeus posted:

Sadly, I can't get Just Cause 2, or at least the cinematics, to run at the correct speed and stay in sync.

It's just a file on your computer, I'm sure people will put them up to download.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
They're actually showing commercials for this on TV, which is pretty cool. The Just Cause 2 hook would have sold me in and of itself though.

Also the "Sun On Yee" isn't exactly a very subtle reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Yee_On :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that I was actually playing Just Cause 2 when I saw the news, but I think that's pretty darn neat.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I like when games check for save files and give you bonus stuff. It looks like the outfit let's you airjack from greater distances. Wonder if he'll use the grapple?

Wouldn't it be great if Square/Enix and Sega could somehow hammer out an agreement to make Kazuma Kiryu's white suit an outfit in Sleeping Dogs? I'd pay good money for that.

Oh, what about Majima's outfit? If only it could be so...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Or how about Ryo Hazuki's jacket from Shenmue? The more I see of this game, the more I'm certain it's going to be a hammy blast.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's a new 35 minute Giant Bomb video on the 360 preview version.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-a-preview-of-sleeping-dogs/17-6378/

edit: Ryan isn't playing well at all :(

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 26, 2012

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Good to see people are finally starting to pay attention to this. I've been following it for ages. Was torn when it was cancelled the first time around.

What's the best digital/Steam-copy place to get this from? Aus Steam has it for $45 but it's missing one of the pre-order thingys.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Can't wait to see how horrible everybody who gets a copy before street date and streams it is. That's like a law of nature that people playing a game before release always suck.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crappy Jack posted:

Can't wait to see how horrible everybody who gets a copy before street date and streams it is. That's like a law of nature that people playing a game before release always suck.

It's the wierdest loving thing, but it's a goddamn constant.

As for the game, I really don't like how weak the counter animations look and sound. The combat in general seems to have tried to copy Arkham City and accidentally copied The Bourne Legacy instead.

Which isn't awful in and of itself, I liked that game's fistfights, but, yeah.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I guess they siphoned too much of the violence from the counters into the executions.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/0ymzc6/sleeping-dogs-preview

Gametrailers does a quick 5 minute preview if you just want to watch something short about Sleeping Dogs. Most of the footage we've seen before, but still informative I guess.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm excited for the game but the executions make me a little queasy. It's like the game turns from Way of the Dragon into Saw. The phone and car ones are nice, but the one with the fan, holy poo poo.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The gory executions make me feel like I just left HK Cinema and dove into a Korean revenge flick.

both rule

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The car/motorcycle physics really look like crap in the Giantbomb quick look. Hopefully, it's just an old preview build. This is now a wait for release for me.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

Revitalized posted:

The gory executions make me feel like I just left HK Cinema and dove into a Korean revenge flick.

I sincerely hope that this is the case.

As for the GiantBomb build, pretty sure it'll be the retail build, or pretty close to it. I'm not expecting refined physics or controls for the game, nor do I really want them. Sometimes the scrappy mechanics make for better character.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The driving looks very similar to Saints Row.

The amount of shattering glass in that video reminded me of Police Story. I wish someone would make a proper game out of that.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I can't believe I just heard about this today. I live in Hong Kong and have been thinking for years "Why don't they do a game here? It's pretty perfect." Mostly because there are clearly separated areas like Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and others, but I"m worried that it will just be on HK island which is pretty small. But, the action looks cool, the setting looks pretty much spot on, and (a little spergy) the costumes are 100% accurate which really helps out. They even have the gangsters wearing those stupid fanny packs that they really do wear, so, I'm sold.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

synertia posted:

I can't believe I just heard about this today. I live in Hong Kong and have been thinking for years "Why don't they do a game here? It's pretty perfect." Mostly because there are clearly separated areas like Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and others, but I"m worried that it will just be on HK island which is pretty small. But, the action looks cool, the setting looks pretty much spot on, and (a little spergy) the costumes are 100% accurate which really helps out. They even have the gangsters wearing those stupid fanny packs that they really do wear, so, I'm sold.

Yeah they didn't do a terrible lot of marketing on this game until recently, and even then I still don't think it's getting as much exposure as it should.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Yeah they didn't do a terrible lot of marketing on this game until recently, and even then I still don't think it's getting as much exposure as it should.

Weird that it comes out in less than three weeks and I have seen no bus stop ads or ads anywhere, really. It seems like this city would be a top market, but I guess they have other ideas. Plus it seems like they may have lost lots of marketing steam when the lost the True Crime IP. Oh well, at least I can project some road rage onto the game since I drive here and it's pretty much the worst.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't been following this game at all. One of my favourite things was all the insanely divergent endings of the original true crime. Like, so different that they crossed into different genre's depending on the ending.

Have the developers given any word on whether that kind of thing has still carried over?
Obviously they wouldn't be talking about "we got all these crazy endings", but have they mentioned multiple endings?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

LibbyM posted:

I haven't been following this game at all. One of my favourite things was all the insanely divergent endings of the original true crime. Like, so different that they crossed into different genre's depending on the ending.

Have the developers given any word on whether that kind of thing has still carried over?
Obviously they wouldn't be talking about "we got all these crazy endings", but have they mentioned multiple endings?

Everything I can see points to the game having one predetermined narrative. It doesn't look like your triad or cop standing will affect the plot, just what upgrades you unlock.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gyoru posted:

I've been interested in this game for a while but then I saw the Budos Band and Terry Lynn on the radio and couldn't believe artists that eclectic would be in a mainstream game. Hell or high water, I'm definitely getting this game now.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

synertia posted:

Weird that it comes out in less than three weeks and I have seen no bus stop ads or ads anywhere, really. It seems like this city would be a top market, but I guess they have other ideas.

Look at all the poo poo Pandemic(and the US) got from Venezuela for Mercenaries 2. I'm sure if it were attempted, nobody would approve the ads getting put up in the first place. Governments aren't too keen on them or their law enforcement entities being portrayed negatively.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I also live in Hong Kong and am extremely excited about this game. I already pre-ordered it. Actually, I *love* games that feature HK as a setting in some way, but pretty much every game I've played so far doesn't depict anything that even resembles the real HK.

So far the games I've played that had HK are: Deus Ex, Project Snowblind, Hitman 1, and Agent Under Fire. Did I miss any?

Since I just finished Max Payne 3, I'm going to play Stranglehold next which I think is the perfect game to play before Sleeping Dogs. I'm so pumped!

Oh and the real HK doesn't have cock fights. Also I think both this game and Stranglehold will probably feature actual HK locations unlike the previous games I mentioned.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 28, 2012

fudyr
Oct 29, 2010

This silence is mine
Game's currently -10% at Green Man Gaming, the same price as it is on Steam (44.99€), but you can get -25% off on top of that, bringing it down to 33.75€, if you use the code SLEEP-INDGS-25OFF at checkout.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

Look at all the poo poo Pandemic(and the US) got from Venezuela for Mercenaries 2. I'm sure if it were attempted, nobody would approve the ads getting put up in the first place. Governments aren't too keen on them or their law enforcement entities being portrayed negatively.

I also wondered about this when it came to how Max Payne 3 was being marketed in Brazil, if at all.

Thing is about HK though, is HK movies portray HK law enforcement negatively all the time. So it's not anything new. Plus HK has pretty strong constitutional protections when it comes to free speech, and is a free society in practice. These days HK law enforcement is pretty clean too.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The only reason Mercenaries 2 got in trouble here in Venezuela was because it depicted the government in a bad way, if it had been just depicting Venezuelan life/streets as dangerous and crime filled then there wouldn't have been any problems whatsoever.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

iceaim posted:

I also wondered about this when it came to how Max Payne 3 was being marketed in Brazil, if at all.

Thing is about HK though, is HK movies portray HK law enforcement negatively all the time. So it's not anything new. Plus HK has pretty strong constitutional protections when it comes to free speech, and is a free society in practice. These days HK law enforcement is pretty clean too.

Rockstar didn't market Max Payne 3 here at all, but not because they weren't allowed or would not be allowed. Console games are almost always pirated here because the price for them is ridiculous. A recent Xbox 360 game like Max Payne 3 costs 170 reais, while a pirated version costs 20 or 15. It's gotten so bad over here that legitimate stores that sell games and consoles sell them cracked and the police don't do anything about it because busting them wouldn't be effective.

That means that publishers rarely bother to market them here, but they've started to put in stuff for Brazilian players recently. Copies sent to Brazil for Max Payne 3 have the subtitles in Brazilian Portuguese for example, even the digital ones. And a few games have dubbed versions here like Halo 3, the Assassin's Creed games and even the original Max Payne. That's probably because PC games sell very well over here due to digital distribution and a much smaller tax for PC versions that makes the much cheaper. But sales are hindered by the cost of PCs and their respective parts. I upgraded my PC in 2010, and it cost 2000 bucks. I don't even have a Intel i5 or a DirectX 11 compatible card.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

iceaim posted:

I also live in Hong Kong and am extremely excited about this game. I already pre-ordered it. Actually, I *love* games that feature HK as a setting in some way, but pretty much every game I've played so far doesn't depict anything that even resembles the real HK.

I've read that the only region in the game is the island which is ok if there's a lot to do. Adding Kowloon and others may be a novelty but doesn't necessarily add anything. I did see some local (from HK) going skitz on their official forum because they are misrepresenting what it's like and how he can't "see his home". Oh well, the vibe of everything looks pretty right and it's a game, so, whatever.

Plus, about the marketing, people here also pirate like crazy, but I'm not sure that it's so prevalent with Xbox or PS3. Game stores are still around selling console stuff, but DS games are almost gone. Literally everybody uses an SD card and most stores just sell it to you along with the DS. I don't like using one, but most parents don't mind teaching their kids that intellectual property doesn't matter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Nothing huge, but there's a new trailer on the website showing off the shooting mechanics a bit. Just a little shy of two weeks now!

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

iceaim posted:

So far the games I've played that had HK are: Deus Ex, Project Snowblind, Hitman 1, and Agent Under Fire. Did I miss any?

Shenmue 2 takes place in Hong Kong during the 80's. Where's that HD collection already?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Part of me really hopes you can just keep slamming that poor bastards head in the door repeatedly by hitting a button prompt. I can easily imagine just sitting there, getting an achievement for slapping the door on this guys noggin for 12 in game hours, from dawn till sunset, while people pass by ala saint's row 2 and cheer like when you do donuts on a motorbike.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
Haven't been paying any attention to this game at all, but got bored earlier and decided to click through this thread and watch some gameplay... next thing I know, I have a pre-order out for the game. :sweatdrop:

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Krackleburt posted:

Haven't been paying any attention to this game at all, but got bored earlier and decided to click through this thread and watch some gameplay... next thing I know, I have a pre-order out for the game. :sweatdrop:

same thing for me. was just in hong kong earlier this year and it looks flat out identical

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New developer walkthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrivwxicMQ&hd=1

Goes through one of the police missions.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gyoru posted:

New developer walkthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrivwxicMQ&hd=1

Goes through one of the police missions.

Everything I see about this game impresses me more and more. The mission variety looks pretty good right now.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Outside the pretty graphics that looks like another shallow mission that shows what's wrong with most open world games.

WALK/DRIVE TO POINT A PRESS BUTTON GO TO POINT B REPEAT FOR 10 MINUTES. MISSION OVER.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

GUI posted:

Outside the pretty graphics that looks like another shallow mission that shows what's wrong with most open world games.

WALK/DRIVE TO POINT A PRESS BUTTON GO TO POINT B REPEAT FOR 10 MINUTES. MISSION OVER.

It's a bit more interesting than what you described though isn't it? Investigate murders, infiltrate a hospital with a disguise and use mini games to investigate, and finish off with a car chase. And it's just a side mission... the game obviously has gunplay and combat, and plenty of action and story from all the videos we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah but those things like infiltrating areas boil down (in the video at least) to pressing a button and doing nothing but walking there, it's a glorified graphical showcase. The car jacking took 10 seconds and so did the 2 minigames.

• Locked thread