Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What is it?
Sleeping Dogs is a single player overly-violent 3rd person open world crime drama that's been revitalized for a PC, 360 and PS3 launch.

Release dates are as follows...
NA -August 14th
AU -August 16th
EU -August 17th

Oh! Is this that cool game I saw at E3 with hacking and rain and matrix trenchcoats and espionage?
No, that's 'Watch Dogs'. It's thread is here.

Revitalized you say?
It began in 2008 as 'Black Lotus', an IP by it's prevailing developer, United Front Games. Activision agreed to publish it using their license of the True Crime name. Production continued until 2011 when it was cancelled due to Activision's lackluster expectations and a much-higher-than-original production budget.

Eric Hirshberg, Activision Publishing CEO posted:

In an industry where only the best games in each category are flourishing, and for a game with a budget of this size, to be blunt, it just wasn’t going to be good enough.

It was picked up by Square Enix shortly thereafter.

Mike Fischer, President of Square Enix US posted:

The game was, in a sense, discovered. I’m making air quotes: ‘discovered’ by the folks in Wimbledon. The minute they showed it to us, we really felt like we had found a diamond in the rough. Obviously the game was originally True Crime: Hong Kong from Activision. I can’t speak to why they let that go. I’m not going to speculate on their behalf. All I know is, they’ve gotta be crazy.

So what's my excuse to kung-fu the hell outta everyone?
You play as Wei Shen, an undercover Hong Kong cop tasked with infiltrating the fictitious Sun On Yee Triad gang. The story is said to focus on Shen's struggle with morality. Shen (like Nick Kang) is a loose cannon leaving little more than destruction in his wake, but dammit, he gets results.

What can you tell me about the gameplay?
A melee, shooting and parkour system akin to Batman: Arkham City, Max Payne 3 and Assassin's Creed respectively. There are counters, melee weapons, firearms, environmental deaths, a cover system and bullet time.
Transportation comes in the form of over 65 cars, boats and motorcycles. Both generic and real-world brands.
Plenty of open-ended campaign missions, RPG mechanics and tons of side-quests both randomly generated and static, including stopping robberies and drug deals, joining fight clubs, street racing, gambling card games, karaoke and even cock fighting. There are also several potential girlfriends in-game. Maybe instead of bowling, you can take her to your weekly fight club gathering? :confused:

RPG mechanics as in?
You have 3 XP stats; Triad, Face and Police XP. Your XP not only upgrades your melee and shooting proficiency, but also changes how NPCs react to you. Clothing, accessories and cars can all be bought, with each affecting your XP rates as well as giving the odd bonus. I.e. Wearing gang attire and shooting rival gang members in the face will freak out the citizens. Driving calmly, wearing a uniform and arresting perps will have the opposite effect. I don't know what "Face" XP means yet. Please post if you catch that info.

What's the soundtrack lookin' like?
For now; we have no idea. The only two tracks that have been confirmed are DevilDriver's 'Bring The Fight To The Floor' and 'Dead To Rights'.
Vehicles will play several genre oriented radio stations a la GTA.
The trailer music is great and can be found here.

Aside from licensed music, specially composed tracks will make up a large portion of the game's music.
This section will be updated when more is revealed.

Why does this deserves a purchase?
Well it's been crafted by some of the best in open world gaming, United Front Games is made up of ex-EA, Radical, Rockstar and Volition employees. Specifically people who've worked on Need for Speed, Bully, Scarface: The World Is Yours, The Punisher and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

What editions will be available?
Best Buy, Gamestop and Amazon will all be offering their own lovely exclusive pre-order DLC that'll be on sale a couple months after launch for $5 anyway, so gently caress it. The limited edition features all the pre-order DLC, which are some extra clothes and another move or something.

You mentioned it being 'overly-violent'?

Latest Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvxJGZYdH8

Melee Combat Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6STurvUZn8

Driving Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE3aaUHgyDI

Pax East 2012 Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q8tTkeXmv0

Gametrailer's Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=120dGNOXfXA

Announcement Trailer No gameplay, but entertaining live action choreography
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHIRceS-blA

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I honestly liked True Crime: New York City when I played on my PS2 so I'm tentatively excited about this.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

frajaq posted:

I honestly liked True Crime: New York City when I played on my PS2 so I'm tentatively excited about this.
NYC was alright, but LA had Christopher Walken, so... it's just better.They both had him. I didn't know that.

\/\/That's exactly what I thought. Glad to see that game hasn't been forgotten.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 7, 2012

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The takedowns remind me of The Punisher and I'm okay with that!

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
I think it was the first True Crime i played, at the time the car controls/steering was absurd and made it rather difficult to get from one place to the other without bashing into every obstacle along the way, haven't picked it up again or its sequels after that.

May just do that, if only to wait for Sleeping Dogs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rizuhbull posted:

NYC was alright, but LA had Christopher Walken, so... it's just better.They both had him. I didn't know that.

\/\/That's exactly what I thought. Glad to see that game hasn't been forgotten.

But only LA had Snoop Dogg!

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
It would be rad if cut scenes had Cantonese sound for that authenticity.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

You mentioned how it's got the cool features from Arkham, Assassin's, and Max Payne, but there's also the awesome vehicle-to-vehicle takeovers from Just Cause 2.

Also you can dress Wei Shen up, so if you're a complete nut for unlockable character sustomization like I am, you'll be pretty set. I'm looking forward to this one.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
The game looks pretty interesting and fun, like a western-made Yakuza game.

edit; i'm dumb and didn't read that it was already stated.

Rueish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2012

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
This comes out in a month and a half and I wonder why there isn't way more hype for this game. It looks just as ambitious and amazing as any of the GTA games.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I loving love Hong Kong cinema and I'm totally down for this game. Been tracking it ever since that live action announcement trailer hit, and the game itself doesn't look too bad either.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Pindakaas posted:

This comes out in a month and a half and I wonder why there isn't way more hype for this game. It looks just as ambitious and amazing as any of the GTA games.

I guess square has no idea how to market the game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Did they ever actually model the female protagonist from when it was still called Black Lotus? That would make for an interesting DLC or easter egg to be able to use it like how Uncharted lets you play as any of the character models.

Also I love the concept but was gonna skip this cause I figured anything not even Activision would publish must be trash but after actually seeing the footage/etc. I pre-ordered, can't wait! Activision is so stupid. :)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Man, if you can't figure out how to market a game with Arkham's fighting, Just Cause's driving, Max Payne's shooting, and Assassin's Creed's parkour, you should probably just get out of the marketing game altogether.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crappy Jack posted:

Man, if you can't figure out how to market a game with Arkham's fighting, Just Cause's driving, Max Payne's shooting, and Assassin's Creed's parkour, you should probably just get out of the marketing game altogether.

Activision's initial issue was the female protagonist, but the Hong Kong setting just wasn't jingoistic enough for Activision's Cabela/Call of Duty only marketing machine.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I think it was the first True Crime i played, at the time the car controls/steering was absurd and made it rather difficult to get from one place to the other without bashing into every obstacle along the way, haven't picked it up again or its sequels after that.

May just do that, if only to wait for Sleeping Dogs.

This was the main reason I returned True Crime NY after an hour, the driving was bad enough on its own but the twin design decisions of having a ludicrous amount of NPCS on the sidewalks and a morality system that punishes you for killing them meant that a single wrong term would destroy your reputation and undo hours of grinding.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they ever actually model the female protagonist from when it was still called Black Lotus? That would make for an interesting DLC or easter egg to be able to use it like how Uncharted lets you play as any of the character models.

Neo Rasa posted:

Activision's initial issue was the female protagonist, but the Hong Kong setting just wasn't jingoistic enough for Activision's Cabela/Call of Duty only marketing machine.

There was a female protagonist?

Crappy Jack posted:

Goddamn you can just put that on the box. It's like all that's missing is a grappling hook.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Revitalized posted:

There was a female protagonist?

Yeah, back when it was originally developed, this game wasn't even a True Crime game at all. The original concept sounds like it would've been a pretty fun game too.

Gamasutra posted:

When the third installment in Luxoflux's True Crime series was first conceived at Treyarch it wasn't intended to be part of that franchise at all.

Instead, it was first pitched as an entirely different project: 'Black Lotus', inspired by Hong Kong action-cinema and featuring an Asian female assassin as the player character (for evidence, check the LinkedIn profile of former EP Chris Archer, who lists "Black Lotus (Canceled - Reformed as True Crime: Hong Kong" among his professional credits).

One individual, a former employee, tells us that the original concept for Black Lotus' protagonist had been modeled on actress Lucy Liu, whose action-heroine roles in films like Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill formed the basic inspiration. "Black Lotus was a great project internally," says the source. "We were all very proud of what we were trying to make and the team was excited. We made great progress."

But 2007 was a year when the top sellers on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 included Halo 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed and Madden NFL -- and the conclusion Activision took from that was that there was no room on the market for games starring a female main character. Another former employee with knowledge of the situation explains: "We were all on board, and then Activision killed it, said they don't do female characters because they don't sell."

"Activision gave us specific direction to lose the chick," says the other source plainly.

Hopefully this game still turns out pretty good. Even though they're pretty terrible and unpolished, the True Crime games had potential.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I saw a trailer for this on Steam roughly a month or so ago I think and it caught my interest immediately, but some comments defused some of my enthusiasm. Basically it looks like a sandbox Hong Kong action-film simulator and honestly if that is ALL it is I'm going to be very interested in it. Unless the story is incredibly well put together, I'm just hoping they allow for plenty of free-roaming action.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, back when it was originally developed, this game wasn't even a True Crime game at all. The original concept sounds like it would've been a pretty fun game too.

[url=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php/]

Hopefully this game still turns out pretty good. Even though they're pretty terrible and unpolished, the True Crime games had potential.

Hmm, it's always interesting to see games evolve into something different than originally planned. I too, now wonder if there will be some reference to the scrapped material.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I saw a trailer for this on Steam roughly a month or so ago I think and it caught my interest immediately, but some comments defused some of my enthusiasm. Basically it looks like a sandbox Hong Kong action-film simulator and honestly if that is ALL it is I'm going to be very interested in it. Unless the story is incredibly well put together, I'm just hoping they allow for plenty of free-roaming action.

Honestly, "Sandbox Hong Kong action-film simulator" is kinda lofty. What do you want from the game, to suck your dick?

I 100% the True Crime LA. It had a cheesy action movie bent and was actually really progressive for having an asian lead.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Crappy Jack posted:

This is pretty accurate, the game looks fantastic from the trailers I've seen, but I have no idea if it will play well at all. I really hope it does, because it looks like a very ambitious title, not to mention this being a success would be a "gently caress you" to Activision, and who doesn't like those?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really, really want this to be good, or at least broken-but-fun. Saints Row has shown that people can buy and enjoy a seriously janky game, so I hope this finds a similar niche.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I played the demo mission at Pax East where he escapes interrogation and it was pretty neat. I do like the parkour cover system where you can say, gently caress this I'm leaping over this crate to put a boot in your face. I didn't have much time to really get used to the controls but it felt pretty good, very similar to Arkham Asylum. Can't really say much about the driving as there wasn't much in the demo.

Definitely not as broken as SR2 but it did feel and look a bit unpolished. I'm guessing it was an early build for the demo missions as it was still pretty far out from release.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Heads up, Sleeping Dogs is only $29.99 at GreenManGaming until July 9th. 25OFF-ALLTH-EGAME

Didn't really expect to see a discount like that before the game is even released!

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006
I'm a little iffy on the ultra-violence. Doesn't really seem to fit with the Hong Kong cinema vibe they're going for.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Not sure if I want to get this game, but I gotta say, it's quite rare to see an American game starring a non-white guy in a foreign country.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Revitalized posted:

Heads up, Sleeping Dogs is only $29.99 at GreenManGaming until July 9th. 25OFF-ALLTH-EGAME

Didn't really expect to see a discount like that before the game is even released!

I really want to get this game, but I've long since learned my lesson about buying games without knowing their system requirements. Has any indication bubbled up about what this game will require? I'm pretty sure that my dual core 3GHz is sufficient, but I'm uneasy about my 980 GTX+ video card.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Pffft, still bloody $49.99 in Aus.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Revitalized posted:

This code works for the UK site, too - brings the price down to £22.50. It's £26.99 on Steam with the preorder purchase.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Sputnik posted:

I really want to get this game, but I've long since learned my lesson about buying games without knowing their system requirements. Has any indication bubbled up about what this game will require? I'm pretty sure that my dual core 3GHz is sufficient, but I'm uneasy about my 980 GTX+ video card.

It doesn't look particularly graphics or cpu intensive in my opinion but who really knows. I definitely don't expect it it to be near as intensive as GTA 4.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I was reading this interview about Sleeping Dogs and

quote:

The other part is focusing more on the open world aspect of the game, so you can run around in the world and get a variety of different stats, which we track. Based on these stats, we end up creating what are called stats challenges. For example, the longest wheely on a bike. Or the longest drive without getting into an accident, or the longest police chase, or most consecutive crotch shots. All of those stats are loaded to an online server and shared to everyone in the world. You can also challenge your friends, so if you think you’ve got the longest wheely that anyone’s ever done, you can challenge your friends to beat it. So it’s not just a passive leaderboard, there’s also a ‘challenge and accept’ component with friends, which makes for some great rivalry. If one of your friends breaks your record, then you’ll receive an in-game notification telling you.

Compete with fellow goons on longest chain of crotch shots!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Errr so GreenManGaming's weekend sale is over... but today's 24 hour sale is 30% off Sleeping Dogs, which is $5 more than it was on the weekend ($35 total)

So... still on sale for those who want to preorder this game.

HONGK-ONGTR-IADSS

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Revitalized posted:

Errr so GreenManGaming's weekend sale is over... but today's 24 hour sale is 30% off Sleeping Dogs, which is $5 more than it was on the weekend ($35 total)

HONGK-ONGTR-IADSS

Thanks for this. GMG didn't end up taking my paypal info or my primary credit card, but my secondary credit card work.

I have a suspicion that the denial glitch with their payment system appears if you have multiple accounts that have ever used the same payment information (say, if you were unscrupulously trying to game the system with self-referral links). This is a hypothetical, of course, as I would never accuse anyone (let alone myself) of being such a cheap bastard.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sputnik posted:

Thanks for this. GMG didn't end up taking my paypal info or my primary credit card, but my secondary credit card work.

I have a suspicion that the denial glitch with their payment system appears if you have multiple accounts that have ever used the same payment information (say, if you were unscrupulously trying to game the system with self-referral links). This is a hypothetical, of course, as I would never accuse anyone (let alone myself) of being such a cheap bastard.

It wouldn't take my Paypal info yesterday when I tried to get in at the $30 price point, but I'll try again later today. I created my GMG account for a purchase that I decided against, so I never actually used it until yesterday.

Unfortunately, it rejected my payment and then the code expired. Gonna try again soon.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

UnknownMercenary posted:

[url=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php/]

I find it amazing, that, marketing people refuse to have female protagonists in the 21st Century.

:v: "Only men play games, and they don't want to play as female characters because girls are icky!"

Seriously? Sort it out, gaming industry - as any man who has played as female Shepard in Mass Effect knows, female protagonists are just as good as male ones (unless they're just horrible cheesecake-y sex objects designed soley to titilate male players, of course).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I find it amazing, that, marketing people refuse to have female protagonists in the 21st Century.

:v: "Only men play games, and they don't want to play as female characters because girls are icky!"

Seriously? Sort it out, gaming industry - as any man who has played as female Shepard in Mass Effect knows, female protagonists are just as good as male ones (unless they're just horrible cheesecake-y sex objects designed soley to titilate male players, of course).

Well, that's less a problem with video game marketing and more a problem with pretty much all media ever. There's this unconscious assumption that straight white guys are the default main character, and if you change any of those factors, you have to do it for a REASON. Which is why we end up with so many horrible cheesecake-y sex objects, because if someone's making a woman character, people feel like they have to justify it by having her be "Female As Hell". Unfortunately, most people doing this are male and don't really know what the hell they're doing. Honestly, the fact that Wei Shen isn't like a half-Asian, half-white guy is almost unheard of in gaming.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Revitalized posted:

HONGK-ONGTR-IADSS

Where is this? I tried their site and it's still giving me $45 for a preorder, and the code isn't working.

I'm upset because I canceled my $36 preorder from June so I could get it for $30 during the weekend sale, but they didn't cancel my preorder until this morning when it was already over. :negative:

edit: nm, must've mis-copied the code. $35 is still better than $36, I guess. One less trip to Subway this month.

hamburgers in pockets fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 9, 2012

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Placed my order on GMG :toot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWagXEnK-2o

I looked up one of the trailers for True Crime: Hong Kong and you can see they've made improvements to the animation/models. Particularly in that Winston character (the guy in the wifebeater) I like seeing a visible improvement from it's initial stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep, had my eye on this for a while. I liked the hook of the True Crime games, but that driving/steering in NY was so horrendous I stopped playing and never looked back. Shame, too, because the opening music selection of Across 110th Street is perfect.

Anyhow, thanks for the GMG tip. $35 is more than a fair gamble on a game with this kind of potential.

• Locked thread