Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

blackguy32 posted:

No, I was talking about the Final cut. The most recent release. The director's cut leaves some ambiguity to it, but the Final Cut pretty much leaves only room for one interpretation.

Really? Haven't checked it out yet, gross. Thanks for deterring me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

We know Mimi's backstory but don't really know much about her, do we? What sort of relationship did she and Wei have? What kind of person was she? That sort of thing. And you don't need a ghost or whatever (:wtf:), you can do it through incidental dialogue. Although I still think the bigger issue are the cut girlfriend plots. Yes, time and money, but that doesn't really change the outcome does it?

That one mission where Wei becomes a creepy stalker following the karaoke hostess all over town for seeing someone else when he's pumping and dumping every girl he meets was pretty much the one part of the game that weirded me out.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 10, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Dude's probably got commitment issues on top of his volatile nature and ease of being able to lie to anyone with a straight face. He's a good person until he's suddenly not and that's pretty scary. Aside from his sister dying, what the hell happened to him to turn him into this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

A Bystander posted:

Dude's probably got commitment issues on top of his volatile nature and ease of being able to lie to anyone with a straight face. He's a good person until he's suddenly not and that's pretty scary. Aside from his sister dying, what the hell happened to him to turn him into this?

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The stalking mission really was the worst. Every objective that came up I was like, '':stare: uhhhhhhhh can I refuse". I'm just thankful the game didn't turn around and pull a Far Cry/Spec Ops, 'LOL YOU LIKED THAT HUH YOU SICK CREEP'. Tiffany just pointed out that Wei is a crazy, hypocritical gently caress.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The whole point was to show Wei is not a good guy and is actually rather unstable, this is mentioned several times in the files about him and past cases on your phone. Though I'm pretty sure most of the mission got cut alongside the other dating side-missions and the ending in general, so yeah it does feel rather jarring at first. I know I was like, "Geez Wei, what are you doing? You just met this woman."

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
The man VERY regularly puts live human beings into metal fans, impales them on giant meat-hooks, or just plain disembowels them with a loving meat-cleaver and doesn't even blink.

Of course he's a loving pyscho. That's how he convinces the Triad he's not a cop. By regularly murdering hundreds of people in gruesome ways.

Are you really surprised that he has a series of dysfunctional relationships that verge on something out of an e/n thread.

Does the game track how many people you kill etc? I may have to re-install and find out just how many people Wei directly killed in the course of his undercover work. I wanna see what percentage of the population of Hong Kong died at Wei's hands.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Better yet it reports global stats to the website
http://www.sleepingdogs.net/#globalstats

Wei has been arrested in excess of 7.5 billion times, killed 2.9 billion enemies, and over 600m innocent pedestrians. He's nearly 6 Hitlers.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PootieTang posted:

The man VERY regularly puts live human beings into metal fans, impales them on giant meat-hooks, or just plain disembowels them with a loving meat-cleaver and doesn't even blink.

Of course he's a loving pyscho. That's how he convinces the Triad he's not a cop. By regularly murdering hundreds of people in gruesome ways.

Are you really surprised that he has a series of dysfunctional relationships that verge on something out of an e/n thread.

Haha, no. It made perfect sense, but now that you mention it, every other sickening thing I did in that game made me go :haw: and that's one of the few parts where I was all :stare: instead. I guess the fact that it's not just a shooting/kicking/murdering/theft mission, so it's extra jarring. That's pretty cool to me, actually.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

codenameFANGIO posted:

Haha, no. It made perfect sense, but now that you mention it, every other sickening thing I did in that game made me go :haw: and that's one of the few parts where I was all :stare: instead. I guess the fact that it's not just a shooting/kicking/murdering/theft mission, so it's extra jarring. That's pretty cool to me, actually.

Well naturally it's fun to murder people in creative and gory ways, but stalking women like you're the guy from Maniac isn't.

Though they could have saved it by having the last objective of the mission be to go complain about it on a men's rights sub-reddit.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Wasn't the last file on the karaoke hostess about how she was considered a potential CI because she actually was sleeping around with multiple triads, but wasn't worth it because she's just a groupie with no deeper knowledge? I remember popping that open right after the mission and it felt like a, "Oh, well gently caress her anyway," kinda deal.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I came really close to picking this up again yesterday. I sold the game a while back, before I remembered that I hadn't finished all the DLC.

Great game, my favorite part was probably where it was oppressive and disgusting to use the death of a family member as a plot point because she was a woman and not a man.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

blackguy32 posted:

Yes it was, but that doesn't mean it avoided some pretty bad tropes along the way. Since his motivation for a lot of the stuff he does is his sister, I would honestly like to know what she would have thought about a lot of the stuff he ends up doing during the story line.

I don't know. I sometimes feel like the loving martial arts instructor story line got more attention paid to it than his sister.

Personally, I don't see Wei as a "good guy." The man is seriously kind of twisted and pretty much the only reason he isn't the villain is because he's the cop. He can be an affable, charming guy, and then he can throw someone in an air conditioner or set them on fire or dump them into some kind of industrial blender. We know so little about his sister as a person I, bottom line, don't think he really cares. Her death is just the psychological vindication he needs to indulge in bad behavior, and that's all she needs to be as far as he's concerned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Wei's relationship with Jackie, and what happens to him, are actually bigger (and better) motivations than Mimi. Why is everyone ignoring that?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Shanakin posted:

Better yet it reports global stats to the website
http://www.sleepingdogs.net/#globalstats

Wei has been arrested in excess of 7.5 billion times, killed 2.9 billion enemies, and over 600m innocent pedestrians. He's nearly 6 Hitlers.

Wei Shen has depopulated Hong Kong 400 times over.

edit: His habitual infidelity is the only thing keeping the city populated.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I think Wei's relationship with Jackie, and what happens to him, are actually bigger (and better) motivations than Mimi. Why is everyone ignoring that?

Mostly because Jackie isn't what set Wei on this course in the first place. Technically I suppose he is why Wei is in Hong Kong and put in the position of undercover cop but that's because of Pendrew. Pendrew would have just got someone else if they had the right "in" with the Triads. I'm not really sure why you're accusing people of ignoring it as anybody who's played the game is aware of it but its not Wei's motivation for the start of the plot. It's certainly one of the significant driving factors in Wei's character once the plot is set in motion but Wei's entire motivation for the game still rests on the sister.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
This game is great, I'm glad the Steam sale came along or I never would have tried it. The rating system is pretty funny, particularly when you doing a mission with grenade launchers, blowing up cars, constant gunfire, etc., and only getting dinged on your cop rating for PROPERTY DAMAGE when you hit a lamp post. Hong Kong civic pride is intense.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

titties posted:

Great game, my favorite part was probably where it was oppressive and disgusting to use the death of a family member as a plot point because she was a woman and not a man.

Yeah I liked that part

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I got this game during a sale a few weeks ago. Someone in the Steam thread mentioned that it was better to disable most of the DLC on your first runthrough as it made you ridiculously overpowered.

To do this apparently I have to delete a bunch of files on the steamapp folder? Does anyone have a list of what files to delete?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bottom of its Before I Play wiki page gives you the names of the appropriate cheat files. Everything else you can buy does something either visually or mechanically interesting and also isn't automatic.

But yes, if you don't enjoy having most of your moveset growth handed to you out of the gate you'll probably want to remove those files.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Also set Steam to not auto-update Sleeping Dogs, otherwise it'll just redownload those DLC files the next time you launch the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I've beaten the game, did all the side missions on the phone and from people on the street, but it still says I'm missing one. Is there some extra bonus mission, or did I gently caress something up?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Bottom of its Before I Play wiki page gives you the names of the appropriate cheat files. Everything else you can buy does something either visually or mechanically interesting and also isn't automatic.

But yes, if you don't enjoy having most of your moveset growth handed to you out of the gate you'll probably want to remove those files.

Wait, what? Is there some way to get new moves other than finding the jade statues that I missed?
If you're talking about the things that give you cop / triad XP, I don't think I maxed those out by the end of the game even with the DLC packs so I think saying you need to disable those is a bit exaggerated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No, the Jade Statues are different actual fighting moves, but the whole point of cop/triad/face levels is to change up mechanics as well. Just, not quite so obviously.

And there's a bit of a difference between 'improving xp gain' (what clothes and things do) and 'you start at level 8 everything but statues and health and can rack up literally a million bucks from parking lots, go with pork bun' (which is what the stuff the wiki page tells you how to remove does).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Perfect, thank you.

Is the game optimized for the gamepad or is KB/M strictly better? I have both options.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

To be fair, I'll opt for game pad unless it's literally not available (as in even joy2key is janky), but I can't fathom how anyone controls anything with vehicles when a keyboard only gives you digital switches and moving the mouse to vehicle makes at least some other major thing awkward.

And vehicle control matters in this one.

Use the gamepad.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Use both. I didn't have many issues with KB+M except for controlling the camera while driving, that was awful. You can switch between them seamlessly however, so I mostly played with a gamepad and switched to KB+M when using guns for sick headshot slowmo combos.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You can actually use both at the same time! I'd often have one hand on the controller for movement and stuff and the other hand on my mouse for those aforementioned sick headshot slowmo combos.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I used my Logitech F710 (So, basically an Xbox controller) and I didn't find the vehicle controls much, if at all improved with it. The gamepad doesn't provide with you with analog control either, I'd say there are at best 3 different stages of turning - could be wrong here, though - and the deadzone feels huge to me - But I guess that's a general problem with console games.

Well, it could be slightly improved but not much. It's aggravating when having to drive long distances straight (mostly in Central, especially the street near your apartment) because you have to constantly fidget the car not to go off-road and it never aligns completely with the road and fine tuning is impossible. It feels that the keyboard is better for twitching between different directions and certain kind of turns, the gamepad is sometimes better for fine tuning. gently caress, my preference may depend on the road and vehicle I'm driving.

...And yet I like Sleeping Dogs' arcade driving model way, way too much. I wish the racing AI was better, because I'd totally spend more time mastering different cars if the AI was even remotely challenging.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 24, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, I'm stuck at like, 94.75% or something for completionist, I have every other drat trophy and I have no clue what to do. Is something glitched? Also, is the DLC for this game worth my time?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Year of the Snake, Nightmare at North Point and Zodiac Tournament are all worth it, I'd say, especially if you can get them on sale. The rest is mostly just costumes or gamebreaking stuff

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That is mostly the case, but I'd say it's worth looking at the Triad Enforcer Pack for a couple of reasons:
- it adds a one-off on-rails pursuit mission where you shoot at cars and pick up Triad XP, which should be sufficient to get you that last level without having to wear specific outfits along the way.
- it also adds an awesome fight club where you fight an endless stream of goons until you die. (Also good for Triad XP)

(There's also a Police Protection pack which includes pretty much the same on-rails mission but you pick up Police XP, however you can max that out just playing the game without too many issues so you can probably give that a miss.)

Wheels of Fury also adds another mission chain which is pretty fun in itself and also nets you a ridiculously specced-up car, so that's probably also worth looking at.

Neither of these break the game, you still have to work to take advantage of them.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of Keyboard + Mouse, I've been hit with an (apparently common?) bug where I can't shoot my gun when aiming with L shift and it just starts making a beeping sound. Even weirder is that it's happening now, on my second playthrough, while it never happened even once on my first. I remapped shift to the > key for now which seems to help, but it's still a very silly bug.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dessel posted:

I used my Logitech F710 (So, basically an Xbox controller) and I didn't find the vehicle controls much, if at all improved with it. The gamepad doesn't provide with you with analog control either, I'd say there are at best 3 different stages of turning - could be wrong here, though - and the deadzone feels huge to me - But I guess that's a general problem with console games.

I haven't ever used the controller in this game so I might be wrong, but it's possible that it's mapped the axes wrong? Try hitting the hat/axis toggle (bottom left of the center of the gamepad, IIRC) and see if that helps.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of Keyboard + Mouse, I've been hit with an (apparently common?) bug where I can't shoot my gun when aiming with L shift and it just starts making a beeping sound. Even weirder is that it's happening now, on my second playthrough, while it never happened even once on my first. I remapped shift to the > key for now which seems to help, but it's still a very silly bug.

Left poo poo if associated with something called "StickyKeys," it's an accessibility feature for people with physical disabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StickyKeys

I think you can turn it off though.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Bought this on sale on Steam the other day. How well does this play on mouse and keyboard vs xbox controller?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Opinions vary; I've only ever used KBAM because I use KBAM on just about everything so I found it fine. If you're used to a controller, use that (except for the shooty parts).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's pretty decent on KBAM but the controller excels for fighting. It's absolutely terrible for shooting though, so neither are perfect solutions. I've had to drop between the two for some parts of the game.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'll try both and see what suits me most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I remember there were a few lurker HK goons here. When Sleeping dogs 2 comes out, I will do a full blown let's play and compare games scenes with real life footage. In the mean time, there's a bbq and goons are welcome to join:

UPDATE Saturday GoonBQ!

Cross posting from the LAN thread.

Ok, enough silly snarky posting for now. Going to start a GoonBq. Right now on my sign up sheet. I probably ought to make a google doc signup sheet.

:siren::pcgaming: May 31st, Hong Kong BBQ (Goon B Q - GBQ) MEGA MEET :pcgaming::siren:

MANDATORY Entry fee for food and drinks: 11RMB an hour

location - Sheung Wan, 1pm 85 Bonham Strand West :henget: https://goo.gl/maps/CJfg5

Goons and everyone welcome (We are not responsible if your significant other/friends is horrified of us.)

Goooooooon list - I Need to a rough head count to prepare food. I'm going to the butcher next week and will cut some steaks

Those who can come

1. Lurker Host - eats alot
  2. Lurker Milf Killer - doesn't eat much
  3. Blinky Zero - eats a truckload of American food
  4. Fear Cotton - doesn't eat much
  5. Magna Kaiser - doesn't eat much He lifts hardcore and can eat a lot.
  6. Bloodnose - Can eat
  7. Caberham - black hole stomach, can eat again once drunk
  8. Wonton - starting to eat a lot :getin:
  9. Lady Galaga - doesn't eat much
  10. Simple Fish - eats alot
  11. and his waifu - doesn't eat much
  12. Synertia - doesn't eat much
  13. Ice Aim? - can eat
  14. Rental Sting? - eats alot
  15. BeefEater? - Super rare guest, he's a busy responsible man.

Maybe they can come?

16. Meram Jert? - work making him stay
  17. Ally 1986? - no data
  18. And other HK lurker goons.

15 Yes, 2 tentative = 17 max +/- 3 people. 10 really hungry people. Let's say 12.

That's A LOT OF PREP WORK. Man maybe even crazier than Korean goons giving.

I love lists - please help.
  1. MEAT AND MAINS AND MORE MEAT

• Weiss wurst - 10. Yes I will try to pick veal, if not we will use pork. Sorry token :jewish:
    • Chicken souvlaki skewers - 30

2. SIDES AND VEG
    • Bag of greens - Only 3 people will eat this.
    • Grilled button mushrooms

3. WHERE ARE MY CHEETOS AND SNACKS :goonsay:
    • Peanut Butter Cups
    • Ruffles Regular and ranch dipping sauce
    • Cheetos

4. BEVERAGES
    • Mountain Dew - caberham
    • Coke Zero - Bloodnose
    • Cream Soda - Caberham
    • Apple Cider - caberham
    • Growlers Full of Craft Beer - Caberham
    • Fullers - Synertia
    • Blue Star white beers - ???
    • Some IPA - ???
    • Fruit Beers - Wonton
    • More hard liquor - Milf Hunter, but he flaked out.
    • Maybe a bottle of Shanghai White Vodka if I'm lucky (dammit no Beijing goons this time)

5. MUSIC - Someone needs to bring a ghetto blaster of some sort.
    • Dub Step
    • Communist Stuff
    • Daft Punk
    • I don't care.

Oh yeah, there will be cake. Yummy yummy cake.

• Locked thread