Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm excited for the game but the executions make me a little queasy. It's like the game turns from Way of the Dragon into Saw. The phone and car ones are nice, but the one with the fan, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Played about an hour and beat the tutorial stuff and accessed the open world. Fun game so far. The melee combat isn't as smooth as Arkham but it still has lots of fun combinations. I like grabbing an enemy, dashing, and throwing them into another one. I mostly like the pointless hardboiled film stuff like washing my face in the sink and staring at myself in the mirror.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Doing a wheelie straight into the front of a huge tour bus is the best thing.
How do you do a wheelie? I kept pressing all the buttons, expecting the feature like Saints Row, but couldn't find it.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Gunder posted:

You need to wait for the prompts. Just do it really slowly.
Yeah, I broke his knee like ten times and then I noticed I was pinging red on the prompts despite performing the move correctly. After I slowed down, I just had to do it two more times. I felt really, really bad for that guy.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Just pull backwards?
Hah, I feel dumb, I didn't try that at all because I just use spacebar for brake. Thanks.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Jefferoo posted:

Hilariously enough if you grind out the side stuff I'm not even halfway and I'm rolling with 400k and a classy suit. The drug busts are loving comedy if you just run over everyone with a car and/or put time into getting the dragon statues - some of the moves you can unlock are a huge boost. Mainly the tackle+disarm move for mobs of knife wielders.
Yeah I was having trouble with the combat but now that I've unlocked some of the dojo moves, it's a lot smoother. The disarm and the kneebreaker are mandatory, and moves like punching an enemy after a tackle are super helpful. I imagine once I'm higher up in triad points and unlock even more moves I'll never even get hit.

Is there anything to spend significant money on other than clothes and presumably stolen cars? I have way too much.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Getting the high-res pack now, hopefully it will make me enjoy the game more. I'm not very far though, as the only time I used a gun was for a weird side mission where I just shot up Triad motorcycles... Was there any story attached to that?
No, it was a special "get a high score" mission, I think. I found another one where I had to kill a bunch of dudes with a golden butcher knife. The motorcycle one is weird because I got it before the game introduced any guns at all, so the dude going on about me proving myself by shooting some drug dealers made no sense when I'd shot over fifty already.

edit: vvv Ooh, I didn't realize it was DLC

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2012

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

electricsugar posted:

I'm downloading the game right now off steam. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

Can any locals attest to how accurately the game maps out HK? I'm living in HK at the moment and I'd love to be able to roll through my old neighborhood before kicking the poo poo out of some triads.
A post earlier by Parkingtigers was helpful:

Parkingtigers posted:

Absolutely not. Every individual street in the game feels like a real Hong Kong street, but they've been put together in totally different ways. Obviously I spent a couple of hours driving around doing comparisons, but eventually I grew accustomed to the fact that they were designing a playable area that feels realistic, rather than just trying to recreate a world that might not fit the gameplay so well.

The more I play, the more I reckon they nailed it for the most part. There are all sorts of actual landmarks in there, the escalators up in Soho, the Peak Tram etc, but the placement is all way off. In many streets though, I can be driving down them and I'm trying to work out which real street they are based upon and while it's not Hong Kong, it's a version of Hong Kong that I'm willing to accept. It's still preferable to me than GTA IV's Liberty City which by all accounts is incredibly close to New York, but which in the game used the space really badly. I still, really, REALLY want a true geo-modelled Hong Kong game one day, but for now this is good enough.

The best analogy I can give, is that I reckon this game is to Hong Kong, what Vice City is to Miami. It's a smaller, fictionalised version that works really well at what it does.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Renzian posted:

Also, helpful tip for those who might be having trouble with the Drug Bust missions (since literally like 13 guys all gang up on you at once). I find what works is basically driving a car (yours or one you've stolen) there and, if possible, ramming it into the thugs as much as possible. Ram them, back up, ram them again, and when you've killed like half of them, jump out and take out the rest of them. Works like a charm :c00l:
Yep, also don't forget to take tire irons out of the trunks of cars. I use them to take down the grapplers at the start of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

I love how broken the diving takedown is. It just goes to show that the best form of Kung Fu is American collegiate wrestling :fsmug:
It's awesome and a good early disarm but it doesn't do a lot of damage for me yet, even with the extra punch (and then bonus kick).

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 17, 2012

• Locked thread