Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

From what I've heard the PC port is fine, however it was developed with AMDs in mind so nVidia cards might not be properly optimised until they release driver updates etc.

Wow, that's rare. Usually it's the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Syrant posted:

Is there a way to flick through songs or is it purely random by vehicle you pick?

It's radio stations like every other open world game. You can't skip through songs but you can change the station. I believe it's the arrow keys to do this with a keyboard, I don't remember. You can probably look in keybindings. Personally, it didn't take me very long before I plugged in my PS3 controller. The PC controls just don't feel "right" in this game, no matter how much I tune them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

E_Motion posted:

Is there a way to keep guns after missions though? I remember me keeping my gun after I got the gun tutorial mission, but my dumb rear end got arrested after that. Now, when i'm in a gun mission, the gun disappears after the mission?

No. Guns come and go, you can only ever hold one gun at any point, and any kind of loading screen makes them disappear. You can find them in lockboxes occasionally, but other than that, outside of instances where the game specifically wants you to use them, you won't be carrying guns around.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I just bought this game and my Wife begrudgingly let me. I have vowed not to open it until I get the FULL SCOPE on this game, lest we need to return it.

Should I tear off the sacred shrink wrap, or should I keep it safely in place and wait for it to drop in price in a few years as a bargain game? What is the goon verdict? I only ask because I see mixed reviews online :(

I won't say it's one of the best games I've ever played like some people, or even a game of the year contender, but it's a very solid 8/10 game. The story and voice acting are great, combat is fun, graphics are decent, and there's a lot of content that you could easily put 30 hours into. It doesn't compare to something like Saints Row 3 for me, but I like it more than GTA4.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now the question is, do I buy it for PC, 360 or PS3? My PC is totally capable, but is this a game I'll want to play on my 40" TV or be fine with playing on my 24" PC monitor? And there's no multiplayer to speak of, right?

No multiplayer, and the PC controls are not very good, so you'll probably plug in a controller anyway. PC version will look and run better (or worse) depending on your machine. Just go with whatever you prefer.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SyRauk posted:

I don't understand why you would hire Emma Stone (the American tourist in the game) if she is only going to be in it for a tiny bit. Did I gently caress up a romantic side quest by going out with all of the girls? What the hell.

No. Nothing happened that wasn't supposed to.

WMain00 posted:

This game is pretty drat awesome and it deserves far better scores and reviews than what it's getting. It has one of the most fluid fighting systems I've ever played in an open world game and the setting is really unique.

In my opinion, this is the definition of an 8/10 game, which is where most reviews have it around. Which isn't bad at all--quite good in fact. It's a lot of fun, all of its mechanics are very solid, but pretty much every game it borrows those mechanics from already does them better. It's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of deal.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 19, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Saints Row 2 and 3 are two of my favorite games from this generation. I still contend that the first Saints Row is a boring, vanilla GTA clone.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The PC camera is awful no matter how you tune it. I don't usually plug in a gamepad for PC games (I played Saints Row 3 in its entirely with a mouse and keyboard and it was great) but this one was different.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

The soundtrack is the best i've heard when it comes to stuff die-hard music fans (that sounds so lame) would appreciate. I basically freaked out when I heard Maps & Atlases.

The metal station is easily the best I've heard in an open world game, minus Black Stone Cherry and a couple other questionable inclusions.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm crazy picky about metal but I definitely appreciated it. SR3 was better I think (for DEP, honestly)

They included two songs a piece for Machine Head, Opeth and DevilDriver and that's all I can ask.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nope. Like love, guns are fleeting.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Brutal Legend would like to have a word. :colbert:

Brutal Legend doesn't count as an open world game.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

This game has one of the most satisfying gun shooting mechanics I can remember.

You're crazy.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 21, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kryopsis posted:

How is Brutal Legend not an open-world game? Once you progress through the story, you are free to move around the regions and explore. Unless by 'open world' you mean 'GTA-like'? Also, I agree with Kneel Before Zog about the shooting. I played Sleeping Dogs with a mouse and keyboard and really enjoyed the gunplay. The weapons feel powerful and are satisfying to use, especially as a part of a vault move.

Brutal Legend has an open area to drive around, sure, but there's nothing to really do in that open area. It's not a focus, it's just a big hub, like a Zelda game.

Also, while I'll agree that the guns in Sleeping Dogs feel powerful, which is one thing most games of this style lack, I found that either with a mouse or with a controller aiming was way too floaty.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kryopsis posted:

There are collectables to pick up and vistas to find, no? It's still an open-world game even if Brutal Legend doesn't take full advantage of it. I think I understand what you are getting at but it's really semantics, isn't it?

I know a number of people had issues with the aiming but turning off VSync seems to help a great deal. Before version 1.3, I really noticed the mouse acceleration but having tested aiming recently, it seems UFG dialed back on it: the aiming reticle now accurately corresponds to my mouse movements regardless of their speed. My headshot record is 12 in a row and I am sure I can do better. As I said, there seems to be a bug with aiming so maybe that's why you find it floaty?

NINJAAAAAA!!

Yeah, it's mostly semantics. It's just when I think of open world action games, Brutal Legend is nowhere near that list. It's like some weird adventure/RTS hybrid game to me.

As far as the mouse goes, I'll admit I haven't tried shooting since the 1.3 patch. Maybe I'll check it out again.

coyo7e posted:

Outside of missions and collectibles, what else is there to do in Sleeping Dogs' city, or GTA's? Nothing, really, outside of starting random combat and doing cool jumps and cruising around to good musi-oh wait, Brutal Legends has all of those things, too..?

You're taking this a lot more seriously than I did when I made the comment. I don't consider Brutal Legend an open world action game, I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vertigus posted:

I know some of the takedowns are violent but I really was not expecting being able to hold someone head-first in a furnace and have them flop around on fire before dying and leaving a charred corpse.

Good police work, son.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

You know what's funny? I mentioned the Game Informer review earlier that gave this game a 7.75? For all that we assume about GI being in the pocket of the publishers and having their reviews bought and paid for, something stuck out to me that I only just now thought to mention:

An actual quote from the first paragraph of the review:

:smugdog: "The experience is worth playing, but the buggy gameplay makes former publisher Activision's lack of faith in the title understandable."

7.75 is entirely fair, but yeah that quote is pretty silly.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Is there supposed to be time jumps between missions? I went on a date with this girl and she's saying I bought her a dress which I didnt.

She didn't say that you bought her the dress. Read her entry in the reports.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mutata posted:

I abandoned trying to figure out the mouse sensitivity poo poo about 2 minutes in and never looked back. I'm a "mouse and keyboard or death!" kind of guy, but I've just gotten tired of kicking against the pricks on it when the game was designed for controllers.

It still pisses me off when I have to shoot though.

Yeah the PC port is beyond expectations for the most part, but it feels like they didn't tune the controls for a mouse at all.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

coyo7e posted:

It feels like they didn't tune the camera, period. Platform doesn't matter. :colbert:

I dunno I haven't had too many issues once I plugged in a controller, except for the camera occasionally going to weird angles while driving.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The proper way to do it is to shove her in her own car's trunk and drive it into the ocean.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

coyo7e posted:

God help you if you touch the thumbstick while trying to do a three-point turn.

Oh, I learned to not touch the camera at all while driving, haha.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Revitalized posted:

She'll be back for seconds... in Sleeping Dogs 2 :c00lbert:

I really hope it sells well enough for that. A more fleshed out and polished sequel would be great.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, the story definitely feels rushed, but I've gotten sidetracked enough to squeeze like 25 hours of the game so far. Not bad.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm watching a playthrough of True Crime: New York City, having never seen one of the games that inspired Sleeping Dogs before, and it's pretty interesting seeing how they compare. Sleeping Dogs obviously is a much better game, but one thing this makes me wish it had is more police stuff, like being able to stop more random crimes and arrest people and junk. Pretty much all Sleeping Dogs has is the drug busts.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've had a couple very amusing glitches. In one mission, I got stuck inbetween two parts of terrain and ended up rocketing fifty feet straight up into the air, still in my standing animation, before falling down and taking no damage whatsoever. Also in one of the side-jobs where I was supposed to drive someone's car into the water so they could collect the insurance, I ended up smacking the side of the car on my way out and it sent me flying really far out into the ocean.

The weirdest and most annoying glitch, however, was when I somehow got trapped riding a ghost bus forever and I couldn't get out. Had to reload the game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

... I just dropped from above onto a group of three enemies and proceeded to bounce-kick off of all of them, wire-fu style. I'm in complete awe. I've played like 30 hours of this game and I'm still finding a bunch of cool stuff I had no idea I could do.

EDIT: Also I made a video

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 22, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

The "eat ten kinds of food" trophy will be the death of me. I have no idea how to keep track of nor find different types of vendors other than scouring the streets.

I basically stopped at every single store and street vendor while looking for lockboxes and stuff until I got it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Okay, how on earth am I supposed to deliver the last armored van? I can't escape the cops no matter what I do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's limited and is the last job that I need for 100%. The price for each one keeps increasing, as does the amount of cops.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can't you take out the cops? Fastest way to escape them I find is get on the freeway and then ram the poo poo out of them until they're disabled. Being on the freeway just means that you're going fast enough that any new spawns are left in the dust as you blow past them.

That doesn't help when I'm in a slow-rear end metal van against SWAT vans that take like fifty rams to take out and they keep spawning ahead of me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DrunkPanda posted:

whacking motorcyclists off their bike using my open car door never gets old :)

I did that completely by accident and couldn't stop laughing for about five minutes. Now I do it to every motorcyclist.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Finished the main story, just a couple things left to do for 100%. Great game, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I also found the ending pretty satisfactory, which is something I'm used to being a disappointment in most games, especially open world ones.

I just wish there was more of it, the story felt really rushed near the end and I still have an urge to run around and kick dudes in the face. Need DLC, and also need a sequel.

RuBisCO posted:

Late game story spoilers:
Kinda super bummed Jackie died. Poor dude just got way in over his head.

Yeah this was a shame, but it made the ensuing slaughter more satisfying!

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

So I have 100% everything, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the remaining 1/3 of my last triad level. They really should've made a way to do that outside the story missions, like with the police level and drug busts.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Well, luckily, I found out that only 5 van deliveries are necessary for job completion, so it wasn't what was keeping me at 29/30. Turns out I was just missing a fight club. :shobon:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I was reliably able to shoot them in the head without hitting the hostage. Have to get in fairly close though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

That....was a pretty satisfying conclusion. I think I'll just knock out the rest of the content here and there, maybe platinum it if it's not too tough to get the last thing I'm missing.

This is the easiest game in the world to 100%. The only thing that's giving me trouble is topping off my triad level, which I can only do by replaying missions and trying to score higher.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I have never, ever failed a hack. It's pretty easy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

And dont even get started on me trying to hail a taxi.

You can actually hail a taxi in this game? I always had to try to get them while they were stopped.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I see that there. posted:

This game sucks.
Anyone who says otherwise is justifying laying out $60+.

I know I'm going to get jumped on for that, but it's true and somewhere, deep inside you, you know I'm right.

I got it as a gift and I thoroughly enjoyed it, enough to 100%.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just finished it too. The end was...kind of anticlimactic. I mean, shoving Big Smile Lee into an ice chipper was insanely satisfying, but everything after that seemed to go by too quickly. Not really sure how else they could have ended it, but it just felt like the payoff wasn't as huge for all you did during the story.

Considering how most games in this genre just abruptly end with little or no epilogue (GTA4 and Saints Row 3 most prominently in my mind), I found the ending of this game satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

I just bought the red envelope DLC so I'd have more stuff to collect. I actually enjoyed collecting stuff in this game.

I had a blast running around finding all the collectibles in this game. Usually I find it a pain in the rear end in open world games, but something about this one makes it much more satisfying.

• Locked thread