Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

iceaim posted:

I also wondered about this when it came to how Max Payne 3 was being marketed in Brazil, if at all.

Thing is about HK though, is HK movies portray HK law enforcement negatively all the time. So it's not anything new. Plus HK has pretty strong constitutional protections when it comes to free speech, and is a free society in practice. These days HK law enforcement is pretty clean too.

Rockstar didn't market Max Payne 3 here at all, but not because they weren't allowed or would not be allowed. Console games are almost always pirated here because the price for them is ridiculous. A recent Xbox 360 game like Max Payne 3 costs 170 reais, while a pirated version costs 20 or 15. It's gotten so bad over here that legitimate stores that sell games and consoles sell them cracked and the police don't do anything about it because busting them wouldn't be effective.

That means that publishers rarely bother to market them here, but they've started to put in stuff for Brazilian players recently. Copies sent to Brazil for Max Payne 3 have the subtitles in Brazilian Portuguese for example, even the digital ones. And a few games have dubbed versions here like Halo 3, the Assassin's Creed games and even the original Max Payne. That's probably because PC games sell very well over here due to digital distribution and a much smaller tax for PC versions that makes the much cheaper. But sales are hindered by the cost of PCs and their respective parts. I upgraded my PC in 2010, and it cost 2000 bucks. I don't even have a Intel i5 or a DirectX 11 compatible card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread