Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I used my Logitech F710 (So, basically an Xbox controller) and I didn't find the vehicle controls much, if at all improved with it. The gamepad doesn't provide with you with analog control either, I'd say there are at best 3 different stages of turning - could be wrong here, though - and the deadzone feels huge to me - But I guess that's a general problem with console games.

Well, it could be slightly improved but not much. It's aggravating when having to drive long distances straight (mostly in Central, especially the street near your apartment) because you have to constantly fidget the car not to go off-road and it never aligns completely with the road and fine tuning is impossible. It feels that the keyboard is better for twitching between different directions and certain kind of turns, the gamepad is sometimes better for fine tuning. gently caress, my preference may depend on the road and vehicle I'm driving.

...And yet I like Sleeping Dogs' arcade driving model way, way too much. I wish the racing AI was better, because I'd totally spend more time mastering different cars if the AI was even remotely challenging.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Wonder if they'll get rid of the LOD which is most apparent while out on the sea, like approaching Central for example. They clearly used different models/cityscape when you're far away, even with the best settings, and the change of geometry to the higher LOD one is quite jarring and immersion-breaking. Wonder if it's because of performance or because the geometry of the main island itself isn't actually "whole"? (As in, rendering everything perfectly at all times would show inconsistencies or something?)

Who am I kidding, of course they won't.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

For those interested in the definitive version, you might want to take at this Face-off by Eurogamer The PC video at the bottom made me decide not to get it, even though I'm a huge fan of the game.

I'm interested where the increased draw distances actually appear on PC. I talked about "fake/LOD scenes" before - which are especially apparent while in the sea and it kind of kills the mood. Would anyone with a definitive version with maxed out settings mind making a video of approaching Central with a boat from afar. Note whether the skycraper models are "off-model" as you appear. (At least originally, it appeared as you might as well have been looking a completely different skyline as you approached the city, it changes that drastically).

• Locked thread