Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Jacking vehicles in motion was done for the first time, to my knowledge, in "The Wheelman" game starring Vin Diesel. They also had the "vehicle melee" system which Sleeping Dogs apparently also has some version of, allowing you to ignore certain physical laws in order to ram vehicles off the road more easily.

I'm really excited for Sleeping Dogs. An open-world game set in a Hong Kong Action Movie universe? Sign me up!

I've been seeing a lot of supportive comments for Sleeping Dogs online, though I wonder how much of that is genuine enthusiasm for the game and how much is people hoping the game is successful so they can point and laugh at Activision for dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

To be honest, I preordered this half because this looks awesome, half because I wanted Bobby Kotick and the Activision suits to eat poo poo.

It was pretty low the way Activision treated the team. "Yeah, we want you to make all these changes to your game or we're pulling the plug. Oh, you made all the changes? Well, we're pulling the plug anyway."

I was going to describe this as a Western version of the Yakuza games, but then I remembered how much it hurt Yakuza to be called a "Japanese GTA". I hope this game can stand on its own as something new, and find an audience of its own.

I never played the first Just Cause, but I'm always in favor of any system a game has that lets you get behind the wheel in a hurry. Driver:San Francisco's body-jumping, Saints Row the Third's Bo-Duken, Just Cause's grapple, Wheelman's airjack, it's all good.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 21, 2012

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Pursuit Force on the PSP came out in 2005, 4 years before the Wheelman, and was comprised almost entirely of jacking vehicles in motion.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that. Now I remember seeing the trailers, and you're absolutely right. Was the game fun? I never owned a PSP.

Now I'm wondering how old the idea is. Is there a silent film somewhere of a guy jumping from one Model T to another? Maybe a mosaic of an ancient Greek airjacking an enemy chariot?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Sylink posted:

So is this game open world like GTA where you can just take cars and go on murder sprees?

One of the previously linked videos has a section where the player stripped down to his boxers, beat up random passers-by, stole some cars and wound up dying in a shoot-out with the cops. So yeah, you can do that.

The game lets you compete on-line for most consecutive crotch-shots. It might not be Saints Row but that doesn't mean they're making it impossible to do goofy poo poo.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Sputnik posted:

That....uh...that's actually a little more intense than I expected. I wasn't anticipating a sequel to the Punisher here.

Didn't one of the articles earlier in the thread say that some of the Sleeping Dogs team actually did work on The Punisher game? That and Scarface: The World is Yours?

Still, I'm with you. I don't think I'll be doing the table saw finisher. Lock a guy in a car trunk, sure. Hit him with a phone receiver? Whatever. But that? Ick.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I like when games check for save files and give you bonus stuff. It looks like the outfit let's you airjack from greater distances. Wonder if he'll use the grapple?

Wouldn't it be great if Square/Enix and Sega could somehow hammer out an agreement to make Kazuma Kiryu's white suit an outfit in Sleeping Dogs? I'd pay good money for that.

Oh, what about Majima's outfit? If only it could be so...

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

GUI posted:

Anything that isn't so uneventful would be a good thing. It's supposed to be an investigation, isn't it? How about puzzles instead of Press Button to Win? Unless of course, what amounts to a minute of actual gameplay (the simple minigames, the car chase) and 8 minutes of walking and driving somewhere without anything happening is a thrilling time for players. In which case there's cheaper activities you could spend your time on instead of paying u$60 for a video game, such as waiting for paint to dry or riding your bike in circles around your neighborhood.

Shoehorning puzzles into crime scenes didn't improve L.A. Noire.

I think the police investigations are just there so you can actually get decent Police XP and a little bit of side-story. Triad XP is easy to get; just rough up some thugs in an alley. Police XP seems much easier to lose than gain in story missions, based on previous videos.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 7, 2012

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
After watching it again, it looks like there was a safecracking minigame in the doctor's office that they cut out. I wonder why?

Also, it looks like there was a collectible stuck to the underside of the Aberdeen Bridge. I wonder how much platforming you'll have to do to find everything.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"Def Jam: Fight for New York" had something kind of similar, in that it was very hard to finish someone off with just regular punches and kicks. To KO someone, you pretty much had to use a Blazing Finisher, a weapon, an environmental object or a particular move specific to the style you practiced.

Fights against the AI had to finish on a high note. Fights against other players could become cat and mouse affairs, trying to go for the kill without leaving yourself open to getting slammed face first into a wall or getting a bottle busted over your head.

Man, that was a great game.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I've got it pre-ordered and will pick it up on Tuesday. The question is, do I take Tuesday or Wednesday off from work to play it?

I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, to avoid potential disappointment. But every time I see some footage of "Sleeping Dogs", it's like I'm a teenager again, seeing "Police Story" on VHS for the first time. I haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah, a 20 hour game sounds like something I can actually finish. Maybe even start a new save and play through again at some future date.

We had a movie night in anticipation of "Sleeping Dogs". We watched "Police Story" starring Jackie Chan and "Invisible Target" starring Jaycee Chan. Very different movies, but a lot of broken glass in both.

What are some other "Cops in Hong Kong" movies I could watch while waiting for Tuesday?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The lowest review score I've heard at this point is a 7.5 from a reviewer who was annoyed that there were no moral choices or a branching storyline.

The developers have mentioned in multiple interviews that they had a story they wanted to tell, and there would not be multiple endings or plot paths. I'm not sure how this reviewer failed to get the memo and felt justified docking the game points for something it was never intended to do.

Most other outlets so far seem content to give "Sleeping Dogs" 8.5s or 9s. I'm still excited for it.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So far it looks like all the packs offer a unique outfit with a bonus of some kind. Police pack has a SWAT uniform. Martial Arts pack is Gordon Liu's outfit from "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin". GSP pack is workout clothes from George Saint-Pierre's clothing brand.

The Police and Martial Arts packs have a bonus mission. The Police pack has a rifle and police cruiser. The Martial Arts pack unlocks a wing chun training device in your apartment that you can use to give yourself a temporary damage buff.

The GSP pack offers a special punch you can learn at the martial arts school.

There's a PC exclusive pack, but I don't know what it contains.

Rumor is that there is a fair amount of DLC planned, so all of this stuff will probably get sold online eventually.

I'm going to try to keep my Cop/Triad levels reasonably balanced, but will probably wear outfits that give bonus Cop XP, because I'm a terrible driver and will likely get dinged a lot for damaging property and endangering people during missions.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

GI's take isn't even remotely that absurd, but for them, it looks like the poor shooting mechanics -- which rizuhbull brought up when he mentioned getting an early copy -- worked against it the most.

The thing I've noticed about a lot of the video of preview builds so far is that nobody is using the vaulting moves. The people playing it are just hunkering down behind cover and trading shots like in Uncharted or Gears.

The developer walkthroughs have shown us that it's much more effective to vault over cover and take a guys gun, shoot up explosive cannisters or cars, or kick in the bullet-time and extend it with headshots. I'm not seeing anyone actually doing that.

Now maybe the gun mechanics are bad. But how much of that is the actual game, and how much is people not utilizing all the tools the game is offering? I'm wondering if the shooting tutorial isn't all that effective, or comes late in the game after people have already written off using guns?

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 11, 2012

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Jicau posted:

For anyone who's been able to play this, how is the sandbox/free-roam part of the game? Is there a decent amount of fun little things to do or is it all racing and cock fights?

Open world activities we've seen thus far:

Races for cars, motorcycles and boats.
Drug busts.
Favors, which are essentially mini-missions and side-stories. There's a lot of them.
Fight clubs, where you take on arena fights to unlock unique outfits and items.
Offshore gambling dens.
Cockfights.
Police investigations.
Collectibles such as health shrines, lockboxes and jade statues.
Karaoke.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 12, 2012

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Speedball posted:

I've only seen one video of this game in action, where the protagonist chases down a hoodlum on foot and kung fus some bad guys throw in his way. The area he ran through looked like a very intricate Hong Kong mall/marketplace. So detailed, in fact, that I boggle that the game would have lots of areas to explore. Even the Yakuza games tend to only stick to a dense half-square-mile of buildings.

We've only really gotten a good look at North Point, the starting district where the Night Market chase takes place. There are three other districts we haven't even seen yet.

One of the developers mentioned during a livestream that they made three dozen unique interiors for the game, ranging from restaurants and warehouses to temples and nightclubs. There are environmental interactions in each one, and there's probably an achievement for finding them all.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Revitalized posted:

I was curious about that too.

"Oh don't mind me guys. I'm just uh... role playing a cop. It's what I do, don't judge me."

Actually, there's a point in rizuhbull's stream where he shows up to do a drug deal...riding a police motorcycle.

"Well, I got busted last night and wasn't bailed out until this morning. I was in a hurry, the cops weren't using it...you know..."

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Sleeping Dogs came up on the latest episode of Rebel FM. Arthur played the PC version for 6 hours, despite not being the guy at his website who is reviewing it(that's Justin).

He says the PC port is excellent and in his opinion is the version to get. It's got optional DX 11 stuff, something called a frame limiter, and little to no pop-in if your computer is decent.

He also said it reminded him a lot of Bully. Running around a detailed world full of things to do, fighting hand-to-hand, learning new moves, dating girls, buying clothes.

Sleeping Dogs was never "True Crime: Hong Kong". It was "Bully: Hong Kong" all along.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

My rental hasn't shipped yet either. I think I'm just going to buy it.

Does anyone know if you get preorder DLC at Bestbuy in Canada?

Yes. I believe that's the GSP pack, which has an outfit that increases grapple and throw damage and a Flying Punch attack you can learn at the martial arts school.

I'm getting my copy at EB, so I'm getting the Police Pack. I hope to have it in my hands in about 24 hours. Can't wait!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
How do you dismount from moving vehicles in the PS3 version? I want to try some of those slo-mo dives I keep hearing about. Also throwing melee weapons.

I figured I'd have difficulties getting Cop XP, but a police clothing set and several drug busts now has me sitting at Cop 5/Triad 3. Time to pick out a triad set and start building street cred again.

Wei's handler seems to be concerned about Wei's state of mind, perhaps because every time the two meet, Wei is wearing a costume from a different Hong Kong movie.

I've been working my way through the neighborhoods, cleaning out the clothing stores and making money from stealing cars and armored trucks.

Is it possible to pick up passengers in a taxi or bus and carry them around the city? I haven't tried that yet.

My take on the Tiffany story is Wei is primarily playing his role here. It would look suspicious if a triad tough-guy stood by and did nothing when his girl was cheating on him, especially since all of his triad buddies know the girl. I know her breaking up with Wei stung a lot less after reading the report on her on the cell phone. At least four other relationships? Good riddance.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Do you just need to own JC2 to get the outfit or does it need to be installed?

I hate you guys so much.

I think you just need to have a save file from the game. But I have JC2 installed and a save and I have the suit, so I could be wrong.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Still no luck figuring out the tell on cockfighting. I've actually been spending most of my time obsessively combing the city looking for upgrades for my apartments. Any lockboxes or health shrines I find are pretty much a bonus.

Wei Shen had a pretty crazy Saturday night. The initial plan was put on a designer suit and do some karaoke. But there was a street race on the way, so Wei did that instead. Then he noticed a few drug busts nearby and beat up about thirty guys. Then it was time for a pork bun and an energy drink.

Following that, Wei stole a motorcycle and hijacked an armored car leading to a 4-star police chase all over the city before finally losing the cops and getting his cut. He then returned to his houseboat, watched the sun rise over Aberdeen and went to sleep.

I think the last game where roaming around was this much fun was Bully. Bring on the DLC!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Well, I finally went on all the dates and got all of the collectibles. For whatever reason, the Mr. Black outfit never unlocked, even though I found all the lockboxes including the one it was in. Oh well, at least I still got the Trophy for buying all the purchasable clothes.

All that remains is to find those last upgrades for my condo in Kennedy Town and I'll be the man who has everything. Well, everything except all of the Triad upgrades. I thought for sure that getting Cop XP would be the problem, but the drug busts and Police Protection Pack gave me more than enough to max it out.

Awesome game. Can't wait for the big finale and (hopefully) the sequel.

There are free energy drinks in your fridge for a damage bonus. If you got the Martial Arts Pack DLC, it puts a wing chun wooden man in your apartment that you can use to get a buff. As far as I know, nothing else actually has an effect.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Well, just finished the story after clocking in nearly 34 hours of wandering around Hong Kong. Not a perfect game, but a hell of a fun ride nonetheless.

I picked up the Retro Triad Pack and the Red Envelopes Pack, just because I like collectibles and clothes. The High Roller Pack says that I can unlock the outfit normally, but it vanished from my closet after I wore it for the mission and then changed clothes. Did it glitch out, or do I have to unlock it permanently another way?

I'm curious as to what I missed in terms of apartment upgrades. Here's what I found:

North Point - Pet Bird, Air Conditioning, Stereo, Bed
Central - Rug And Coffee Table, Sofa Set, "Ming" Vase, Dragon Tapestry
Aberdeen - Movie Poster, Likely Stolen Art, Strange Idol
Kennedy Town - Guan Yu Idol, Fish, Plant Service

What am I missing?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

James Hong voices every cranky/eccentric old Asian man in everything ever, he is way more than Covetous Shen

"INDEED!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was also pleased to see James Lew in the game, a.k.a "that guy whose character has been beaten up/killed by pretty much every action star in Hollywood".

And Conan Lee will always have a place in my heart for redeeming the terrible film "Tiger on the Beat" with his performance in the final scenes. I'll just leave these links here, if anyone is curious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxVsCITqyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8_dY4rpjOc

Shen Zen, Manhattan Melee, The Bon Gak, and Hog Pen Row outfits are all fight club rewards. Mr. Black is found in a lockbox in North Point but it didn't unlock for me even though I found that lockbox early on. Not sure why it glitched, might play it again to see if I can get it this time.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Each apartment has four "upgrades" you can buy for it from these special dealers. They don't appear on the minimap, so you just have to look for someone with a speech bubble over their head that doesn't have a food stand or stall.

The vendors only appear in the same district as the apartment, after you've unlocked the apartment for that district. That narrows things down a little, at least.

I only had to ask for help to find one of them, thankfully. Just explore everywhere. Wander down alleys. Walk in the park, or down the boardwalk. Most of the upgrades don't actually do anything, but if you're a completionist you'll probably want to find them all.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Spoilers:

Pendrew talks a good game about "doing what must be done" and "making the city safer", but it all rings hollow. Pendrew cut that deal with Uncle Po so that he could become Superintendent. He made Wei jump through hoops to ensure Pendrew would get big splashy arrests of Sun On Yee members, and then hung Wei out to dry at the funeral, though I suspect that was pettiness over Wei defying him more than anything. Pendrew put Wei and Big Smile Lee at each others throats, and used the unraveling of the Triad to get himself a spot at Interpol.

Pendrew did it all to feed his own ambition. In the end, he was no better than Uncle Po or Dogeyes or any of the Triads he held in such contempt. He only made one mistake; he bet against Wei Shen. That cost him his career, his freedom, and more than likely his life. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
If anybody in this thread plays FIASCO, there's a new playset for 1997 Hong Kong on the Bully Pulpit Games website.

Has there been any word on when the Drunken Master DLC for Sleeping Dogs is coming out?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

RandallODim posted:

And punching a Jiang Shi in the face with an enchanted parchment is magical. As is Wei being a dick to the head honcho undead Triad. It's also confirmed to be set post-story: Ponytail is one of the Sun On Yee pulled out of Hell by Smiley Cat, along with Dogeyes and some other guy I don't recognize, which means this happens after Wei's final assault on Big Smile Lee's restaurant.

I'm pretty sure the last guy was Johnny Ratface, the guy you delivered to Winston's mom. I'm not sure if that was Dogeyes or Mr. Tong; either one would be appropriately horrifying.

I wonder if doing these missions will finally get me Triad level 10? Probably not. It would be nuts if they added another skill tree with 10 levels called Demon Hunter or something like that.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
One of the writers for Sleeping Dogs has a blog and talked a bit about parts of the story that had to be cut.

The romances were supposed to be subplots spanning multiple missions, with an extra scene at the conclusion of the game depending on who you ended up with. Some girls would have been angry if you dated other girls, others wouldn't care. It all got cut, and one potential romance got cut out of the game altogether; an alcoholic actress with a taste for younger men.

There were also supposed to be more missions involving King, the American that Sonny is doing business with. King's story is that while he was a gang-banger when he was younger, he'd pretty much grown out of that by the time he meets Wei. He's got a record label, a wife and kids. He parties and puts on a persona because it's what's expected of him by the people he does business with, but he'd rather go back to his hotel, call his family and go to bed early than be out clubbing. None of this backstory appears in the finished game.

With limited time and resources, plus the possibility the game might not have been published at all, I can understand that cuts had to be made. Hopefully we'll get a Sleeping Dogs sequel with even more stuff next time.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 6, 2013

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I went looking for it, but it's not in my bookmarks. I'll see if I can find the message board thread I found it in.

If there was going to be more post-game cop stuff with Wei Shen, I'd hope it would involve cracking down on the 18K. After all the conflicted loyalties in the main storyline, it would be nice to face crooks who were just straight-up bad. We didn't really learn much about that gang, so there's lots of places they could go.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Benly posted:

So I've been playing on PS3. I bought a bunch of DLC on sale, including the ones that give you a sword and an assault rifle in your apartments.

Then tonight I did Year Of The Snake. Now the sword and rifle are gone, and although there's (according to a wiki) supposed to be a tear gas launcher in my apartment I don't see that either - the only weapon I've got in my apartments is the gold .50 cal. Does this commonly happen, and is there anything I can do about it?

I don't think the teargas launcher appears in your apartment until after the mission where you unlock it.

I have fond memories of "The Saboteur" as well. Well, except for that glitchy truck chase mission. But everything else was memorable in good ways.

They did have DLC for "Saboteur" to an extent. There was the Midnight Show which unlocked burlesque shows in the back of the nightclub, a knife-throwing game where you could win a gold pimpmobile, and brothel doors which you could use to hide from the Nazis. There was also a preorder bonus knife for Nazi throat-slitting action.

It's times like these I wish I could draw. Then I could draw Wei Shen and Sean the Saboteur loving poo poo up together in a cross-temporal badass moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Speaking of which... Am I crazy, or didn't Wei just plant a bug in that room a handful of missions before this? Seems like a detective participating the brutal vivisection of two dudes would be frowned upon by the police more than his usual undercover hijinks. Or you'd think he'd at least shut the gently caress up while delivering the dudes, instead
of basically giving a play-by-play of how he delivered them and that they're getting what they deserve from Winston's mom, followed shortly after by cleaver ka-chunking and ungodly shrieking.

At the beginning of the Johnny Ratface mission, Wei surreptitiously switches the bug off before helping Winston's mom arrange to gut the men responsible for his murder. Wei is not a very good police officer.

• Locked thread