Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I’ve finally finished reading the thread and playing the game. I managed to only spoiler myself once by accidentally mousing over (end game) Jackie’s death.

This looks like a really easy plat. I ground through all the remaining races and collectables before the last mission, and I’m sitting at just over 90% completion. The rest of the stuff I have left looks pretty easy (30 gold /silver awards, 90% or better on all karaoke, eat 10 kinds of food or drink).

There are a couple that have been giving me problems – Getting kills with 10 kinds of melee weapons and killing someone with a fish. So far I’ve gotten kills with the collapsible baton, tire iron, kitchen knife, cleaver, and machete. As far as I know those are the only melee weapons I’ve seen, but those are only half of what I need.

Do purses count? Does anyone have tips for finding different types of melee weapons?

Also, has anyone else had an issue with their Rico Rodriguez outfit not unlocking? I have JC2 manual and auto save files on my PS3, but I don’t have the outfit. I even deleted and reinstalled the game, started a new game, and played through to the part where you’re supposed to unlock it but it didn’t show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Replay the first mission in club bam bam for fish. Purses count. Golden Cleaver also counts as a separate weapon.

Thanks for that, it stands to reason that Dr. Stab would be the first to weigh in with the melee weapon kill advice. I don't remember the golden cleaver, is it mission-specific?

SiKboy posted:

... umbrellas count ...

I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks.

SiKboy posted:

I would have sworn I got that achievement by dumping the guy on the swordfish quite early in the game, but I could easily be misremembering.

I am certain I've done that environmental kill more than once, but it never awarded me the trophy. It's not like there's never been a glitched trophy, though. I guess I'll try using one as a melee weapon and see where that gets me.

Call Now posted:

While easy, one of that gold award means spending 3 hours choosing the better cock. Have fun!

I'm going to forego the "I know about good cocks" joke that I spent way too much time trying to word. I was thinking those challenges were about making X amount of money from cockfights, not choosing the winner on X amount of cockfights. I won half-a-mil off the first and only fight I've bet on, I was thinking it would be fast and easy.

For those who have the Just Cause 2 outfit, do you have the game data installed on your system along with the auto and manual saves? I'm going to be annoyed if I have to rent a copy of JC2 just to unlock the outfit.

titties
May 10, 2012

Mechanigma posted:

I believe you can use any objects that pedestrians are holding: handbags, briefcases, shopping bags and umbrellas. Problem is they break easily, so you may have to weaken someone first and then throw the object. I think that does more damage.

Also in the night market, you can run into certain tables to break them. You can then pick up and use the table leg as a weapon.

I just got this one a few minutes ago. Apparently I had already used more weapon types than I thought, because I got it after 3 kills.

I only recall using 9 weapons:

Kitchen knife
Cleaver
Tire iron
Police baton
Umbrella
Purse
Fish
Machete
Circular saw

... but if the unique cleaver is a mission specific item then I must have used it already, which would make 10.

titties
May 10, 2012

The Kins posted:

The October DLC releases have been announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBogrbg54g

Street Racer Pack: More races.
SWAT Pack: 20 new "cop missions".
Tactical Soldier Pack: "The game’s most powerful weapons and armor"
Community Gift Pack: Free "tailor-made content"
???: New story-driven stuff, to be announced on October 14 at NYCC.

Well, I'm glad that the new batch of DLC isn't just item packs. I haven't bought any DLC except the retro triad pack and I was honestly disappointed in the vehicle you get. I was hoping for an 80's Celica hatchback or a DeLorean or some poo poo, I don't know. I would probably throw down for more mission content, though.

I liked this game so much that I decided to plat it a second time on another profile. I hit up the a back-alley massage place for the face boost and the rub and tug girl asked me if I had a favorite country, France or Greece. While I prefer France, what I really wanted was around-the-world (and back) :ohdear:

E: Greece-to-France would have been alright

titties fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 21, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

Chortles posted:

Anyone figure out a way to get the full three triad shields in Night Market Chase, and do you get an big bonus for full-three or only slightly more than "almost three"?

I've gotten all three shields on that one. It's easier if you don't have any damage upgrades so the fights last a little longer. Get the Mountain Master triad set before starting the mission and do your best to not kill anyone quickly. Use the environmental attacks for a triad point boost but only after you've countered / tackled / punched the guy first. Same with the leg-break > ninja kill combo. It will get you about 80 points for "heavy attack" and "stun followup" or whatever, but milk those guys for more points first since it's an instant kill.

E: A good mix of striking, grappling, and octagon control counters, throws, and environmental kills will earn you more points than just killing everyone with strike combos and counters. Approach that mission with a conscious effort to use everything in your repertoire and you should be able to get max points.

Also, I never noticed any kind of bonus for filling them all.

E2: For anyone having a hard time with grapplers, my advice is to slow down and learn to recognize what type of attack they're using. Their attacks fall into one of 4 categories:

Standard attack (countered by tapping triangle)
Grapple into strike (countered by tapping circle)
Collar-and-elbow (countered by tapping triangle)
waistlock into bodyslam (countered by MASHING THE HELL out of triangle)

Once you recognize which animations are countered by which buttons grapplers become pretty easy. Just take your time with them and be sure you've read them right before pressing anything.

titties fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 25, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I've played like 15 hours now with a controller on a monitor and with the exception of shooting it's clearly built for a gamepad. Not sure if that helps you either way.

I don't think I'd be able to play this (or any game with driving and hand-to-hand) with a mouse and keyboard.

I spent plenty of time playing UT2k3 and original Counter-Strike way back when, and I still don't see the appeal of M+KB for aiming and shooting.

I mean, it's pretty well accepted that M+KB is the definitive FPS setup but I'll be the guy spinning around and shooting the ceiling if I'm not playing console (also throwing all my grenades by accident and not knowing how to run).

I guess what I'm trying to say is play Sleeping Dogs with a controller.

titties
May 10, 2012

I had to replay a few missions to hit Triad level 10 once I beat the game. One thing that helps is to make an effort to slow the pace of combat. Don't wear damage buff items, and use more regular strikes and grapples.

I mean, any unarmed enemy aside from grapplers and bosses can be killed by a leg break > ninja backstab instant kill combo or an environmental grapple and you'll earn anywhere from 20 - 80 points depending on how varied your combat is (mixing up moves prevents diminishing returns). But then that enemy is dead, so you missed the opportunity to earn points for regular hits, counters, and stun strike + followup combos before the kill.

titties
May 10, 2012

That Punisher game, along with Scarface: The World is Yours are a couple of games that I think didn't get enough credit. Not that the criticisms about them weren't mostly valid, but they still delivered plenty of fun.

Was Sleeping Dogs the easiest plat for everyone / of all time? I am terrible at trophy completion, I have one plat for every year that I've had a PS3. Still got this one in two weeks.

E: I still laugh a little thinking about that Scarface game. Talking your way out of being arrested?

Tony: You want some yayo?
Cop: Oh, sorry, Mr. Montana. Have a nice day!

Video game Tony loved and hated that coke so much. His last gasp upon getting run over by a car one time: loving YAYooooooo

titties fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 29, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

There's a Square Enix character pack DLC coming. Has three outfits in it:

Rico from Just Cause. Looks to be the same as the bonus for just having a JC2 save.

Agent 47. Comes with a silenced pistol, bald head, and stealth bonuses.

Adam Jensen. Comes with an assault rifle and takes 33% less damage from bullets. Nifty sunglasses too.

Nice. I may actually get this just for the Rico outfit since mine never unlocked, even when I uninstalled, reinstalled, started a new game, then switched profiles and started another game.

titties
May 10, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Yeah that's the one rather useful move I was thinking of.

The climbing elbow is good too, if you like 1-hit stun attacks. Climbing elbow with follow-up stun strike or grapple (used sparingly) earns solid triad points and usually puts me in face mode.

E: I know I've mentioned it before, but for anyone struggling to grind out triad points:

- Use tea, but no massages or dragon kick, and no clothing items that boost melee damage

- Wear the retro triad outfit if you have it, or grind face to use the +15% triad clothing sets as early as possible.

- Use environmental kills and the leg-break / ninja kill combo very sparingly. They are fun and cool, but you lose a lot of potential triad points by killing them early

- Be well-rounded. Constantly mix fast strikes, counters, strong strikes, grapple throws, grapple strike combos, and the double-leg.

titties fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 9, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

What advice would you give to a new player who is lousy at fighting games? I can't string together any of Wei's moves past hitting X to flail madly, countering (sometimes) and grabbing people, and a lot of the fights feel like randomly generated QTEs are interspersed into them now that enemy crowds are doing different sorts of grapples on me while I'm busy trying to flail my way to victory.

A great way to learn how to handle grapplers is to go visit Sifu when you don't have a statue to turn in. You can choose an enemy type to fight for practice. That's how I learned the counters, by going a few rounds in the gym with grapplers only.

titties
May 10, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Bah. I've been putting together some videos for a potential LP of Sleeping Dogs (it's seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd really love to show it off) but my voice combined with my Finnish accent literally makes me sound like I'm mentally challenged. :saddowns:

Guess I'll just give up and leave that to someone else who isn't terrible, and go finish Nightmare in North Point or continue my PS3 version playthrough instead.

Write a funny script and I will narrate your LP videos.

titties
May 10, 2012

E: ^^^ I was late

Mons Hubris posted:

I got this from PS+ a while back and had a minor question: When I start the game, the Continue Game option is greyed out. I can load the last autosave so it's not a big deal, but why even have Continue Game there if it doesn't work?

You know how when you select the "Load" option, it takes a few seconds before the list of saves comes up / is populated? "Continue" also becomes available during that time. Waiting for 5 or 10 seconds on the menu screen should allow you to select "Continue". I think it takes roughly the same amount of time either way.

titties
May 10, 2012

l33t b4c0n posted:

Just beat the main story, and I only ended up at Triad level 9. I know there's a DLC with repeatable Triad missions, but considering the sale is over, I'd like to hold off buying any more DLC until next sale. Is there any reliable way to grind out just a bit more Triad XP?

I've made a couple posts on the subject before, maybe something here can help:

titties posted:

I've gotten all three shields on that one. It's easier if you don't have any damage upgrades so the fights last a little longer. Get the Mountain Master triad set before starting the mission and do your best to not kill anyone quickly. Use the environmental attacks for a triad point boost but only after you've countered / tackled / punched the guy first. Same with the leg-break > ninja kill combo. It will get you about 80 points for "heavy attack" and "stun followup" or whatever, but milk those guys for more points first since it's an instant kill.

E: A good mix of striking, grappling, and octagon control counters, throws, and environmental kills will earn you more points than just killing everyone with strike combos and counters. Approach that mission with a conscious effort to use everything in your repertoire and you should be able to get max points.

titties posted:

I had to replay a few missions to hit Triad level 10 once I beat the game. One thing that helps is to make an effort to slow the pace of combat. Don't wear damage buff items, and use more regular strikes and grapples.

I mean, any unarmed enemy aside from grapplers and bosses can be killed by a leg break > ninja backstab instant kill combo or an environmental grapple and you'll earn anywhere from 20 - 80 points depending on how varied your combat is (mixing up moves prevents diminishing returns). But then that enemy is dead, so you missed the opportunity to earn points for regular hits, counters, and stun strike + followup combos before the kill.

titties posted:

The climbing elbow is good too, if you like 1-hit stun attacks. Climbing elbow with follow-up stun strike or grapple (used sparingly) earns solid triad points and usually puts me in face mode.

E: I know I've mentioned it before, but for anyone struggling to grind out triad points:

- Use tea, but no massages or dragon kick, and no clothing items that boost melee damage

- Wear the retro triad outfit if you have it, or grind face to use the +15% triad clothing sets as early as possible.

- Use environmental kills and the leg-break / ninja kill combo very sparingly. They are fun and cool, but you lose a lot of potential triad points by killing them early

- Be well-rounded. Constantly mix fast strikes, counters, strong strikes, grapple throws, grapple strike combos, and the double-leg.

titties
May 10, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Hopefully a lot of people have bought this since it was on sale for 5 bucks for the base game or 8 for everything. Some guidance to people new to the game:

One thing I would suggest is not to use energy drinks or other items that grant a damage bonus when doing Triad missions. Triad XP is the hardest to earn, and requires you to really mix up / prolong combat. If you're doing extra damage you're missing out on chances to earn more Triad XP.

Looking back through the thread, here's what I said about it when I was still playing the game:

titties posted:

titties posted:

I know I've mentioned it before, but for anyone struggling to grind out triad points:

titties fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 24, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

I came really close to picking this up again yesterday. I sold the game a while back, before I remembered that I hadn't finished all the DLC.

Great game, my favorite part was probably where it was oppressive and disgusting to use the death of a family member as a plot point because she was a woman and not a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Hey guys, just bought this on the PS4 sale

Good choice, you will like to play this game.

• Locked thread