Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceaim
May 20, 2001

I also live in Hong Kong and am extremely excited about this game. I already pre-ordered it. Actually, I *love* games that feature HK as a setting in some way, but pretty much every game I've played so far doesn't depict anything that even resembles the real HK.

So far the games I've played that had HK are: Deus Ex, Project Snowblind, Hitman 1, and Agent Under Fire. Did I miss any?

Since I just finished Max Payne 3, I'm going to play Stranglehold next which I think is the perfect game to play before Sleeping Dogs. I'm so pumped!

Oh and the real HK doesn't have cock fights. Also I think both this game and Stranglehold will probably feature actual HK locations unlike the previous games I mentioned.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

Look at all the poo poo Pandemic(and the US) got from Venezuela for Mercenaries 2. I'm sure if it were attempted, nobody would approve the ads getting put up in the first place. Governments aren't too keen on them or their law enforcement entities being portrayed negatively.

I also wondered about this when it came to how Max Payne 3 was being marketed in Brazil, if at all.

Thing is about HK though, is HK movies portray HK law enforcement negatively all the time. So it's not anything new. Plus HK has pretty strong constitutional protections when it comes to free speech, and is a free society in practice. These days HK law enforcement is pretty clean too.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Al! posted:

At least it's more realistic than the Deus Ex 1 Hong Kong.

I think Sleeping Dogs is probably the only game with a realistic HK setting.

I'm playing Stranglehold at the moment as an appetizer before getting into Sleeping Dogs, and for a game that claims to be an "authentic John Woo experience", nothing about the environment is authentic. The environments look like a cliche tourist fantasy of Hong Kong rather than the real Hong Kong. Also you have to have Chow Yun-Fat collect origami cranes in order to power up his special moves. :rolleyes:

On the other hand the actual gun play in Stranglehold is insanely fun and redeems the game. I can't wait to play Sleeping Dogs, because there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to blow this game out of the water.

• Locked thread