Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I can't believe I just heard about this today. I live in Hong Kong and have been thinking for years "Why don't they do a game here? It's pretty perfect." Mostly because there are clearly separated areas like Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and others, but I"m worried that it will just be on HK island which is pretty small. But, the action looks cool, the setting looks pretty much spot on, and (a little spergy) the costumes are 100% accurate which really helps out. They even have the gangsters wearing those stupid fanny packs that they really do wear, so, I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Yeah they didn't do a terrible lot of marketing on this game until recently, and even then I still don't think it's getting as much exposure as it should.

Weird that it comes out in less than three weeks and I have seen no bus stop ads or ads anywhere, really. It seems like this city would be a top market, but I guess they have other ideas. Plus it seems like they may have lost lots of marketing steam when the lost the True Crime IP. Oh well, at least I can project some road rage onto the game since I drive here and it's pretty much the worst.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

iceaim posted:

I also live in Hong Kong and am extremely excited about this game. I already pre-ordered it. Actually, I *love* games that feature HK as a setting in some way, but pretty much every game I've played so far doesn't depict anything that even resembles the real HK.

I've read that the only region in the game is the island which is ok if there's a lot to do. Adding Kowloon and others may be a novelty but doesn't necessarily add anything. I did see some local (from HK) going skitz on their official forum because they are misrepresenting what it's like and how he can't "see his home". Oh well, the vibe of everything looks pretty right and it's a game, so, whatever.

Plus, about the marketing, people here also pirate like crazy, but I'm not sure that it's so prevalent with Xbox or PS3. Game stores are still around selling console stuff, but DS games are almost gone. Literally everybody uses an SD card and most stores just sell it to you along with the DS. I don't like using one, but most parents don't mind teaching their kids that intellectual property doesn't matter.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Reive posted:

I'm almost positive I heard it was in one of the videos, which means I need to learn how to play.

I saw in one of the dev walkthroughs that it's a "poker version of mahjong" so it's not really real mahjong. That would have been cool, definitely a missed opportunity.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Roll on August 18. I can't believe that you start this game in North Point - that's just down the road from where I live. Looking forward to shooting up my office in Central; should be cathartic.

I'm just looking to wreak havoc on all those jerks that cut me off in traffic every day! In the game, I mean. Unfortunately, New Territories and Kowloon are not included in the game so I won't be able to visit my neck of the woods.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Has anyone who'e played or seen a preview of the game found out what kind of stuff is on the radio? I know DJs that don't shut up were mentioned, but any music or famous artists?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Woah woah woah. Ninja tune radio?! Awesome, I love that label. Thanks man.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
The way it's in magazines all over news stands, I'm starting to think it's going to be rough finding a copy in Hong Kong just because the game is set here. Everybody and his little bro will be after a copy. Oh well, I guess that adds to the experience a little bit. I sort of wish I had a super PC that could run it better than the PS3. They're probably on par with each other.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Croccers posted:

I wonder what bullshit excuse they use so you can't cross :allears:
New York just blocked the roads. That's it. No out of the way clip anywhere, just blocked.

I'd like to know too since there are about 10 ways to get across the harbor. "Oh, turns out all three underwater tunnels collapsed, the ferries have sunk, and the two MTR lines are out of order for an undetermined length of time. Enjoy your stay on the island!"

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Oceanbound posted:

That's a shame, I'm pretty interested in this game but since I live here I imagine this poo poo would annoy me a lot.

I remember in trailers and game play demos just hearing a lot of 'poke guy' bandied around during English parts which didn't fit. The ambient barks sound OK from what I've heard. I wish they would just stick to English English and accept the weakness of not being able to record a native speaker doing lines because that doesn't bother me. It's when they start muddying the waters that it seems gimmicky.

Visually, though, the game looks spot on for representing the city.

Living in HK, besides parking in the store, I can imagine any combination of those variables occurring.
vvvv

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 14, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
When you say bad music do you mean stuff like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGeZC2nDSKA Because that poo poo is the worst.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Leb posted:

... everyone is driving on the wrong side of the street and some of the streets are so narrow and there are pedestrians everyone..

So it's an accurate simulator of driving in this city? Do they accurately model pedestrians mindlessly walking in front of a speeding car?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well Yuen Long, gangster central in HK, has zero copies of Sleeping Dogs. I have no idea when I'll be able to get it since it's so insanely popular here. I wish my PC could run it reliably but my vid card is nothing to shout about. I want to start beating up pedestrians!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Have you tried 189 Wan Chai road? That's where I get all my video games from, best prices in Hong Kong due to the sheer number of stalls there and you can usually find everything. It's videogame Mecca.

Edit: Bit of a trek down though. 5 years here and I still get the locations mixed up in my head a little. Thought you were closer.

Yeah, that's like an hour on the train from here and I work in tuen mun so nowhere near. I'll get it eventually, though.

I would just get it on Steam, but I don't trust it (my PC) to run the game and look as good/smooth as the PS3. Plus a typhoon is hitting right now, would be nice to play it during. (Especially if work is cancelled (Yeah right))

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
From sneak preview gameplay which is not much, all the streets look really good like close to how they do in North Point (steep, narrow, one ways etc.) but are not matched as was said. The only road I recognised was the freeway that runs along the north of the island making travel from the east to Central or Wan Chai not miserable & full of traffic lights. It looks awesome, though, in terms of vibe.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

And putting the last one into the trunk. Then taking him out and punching him. Then putting him in the trunk. Then taking him out and punching him ...

Re: a few pages ago. No need to do the whole post thing, although I appreciate it. I'm getting into town this weekend and I'll probably find it somewhere... I hope. And no typhoon break. Back at work.

scorchy posted:

I haven't been back to HK in a while, but the thing that struck me as eerily familiar is when you stop at a red light, you can hear that rapid *clickclickclick* tone that lets blind people know when to cross the street.

I meant to ask about that earlier, glad that made it in as it is ubiquitous.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 17, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well, looks like I won't play too soon. Found a copy up here, but its going for $600 HK dollars (about 80 USD). People are nuts about it here and I won't go over the berrel for that. See if my US friends can ship one over.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Dude, it's $300 down at 189 Wan Chai. A colleague at work today up in Tsuen Wan said they were pricing it at $450+ up there too so it seems to be an issue with the outskirts price gouging. It's cheap as chips in town.

Offer still stands if you want me to hook you up from down here.

Do you have private messaging on SA? shoot me a line or at my username at gmail

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I can't believe Warp radio on this game. Squarepusher, Plaid, LFO, and Autechre? Never thought I would see the day that they would appear in an open world video game. Then again, GTA3 had Moving Shadow radio and then abandoned drum and bass in future versions.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

The soundtrack is the best i've heard when it comes to stuff die-hard music fans (that sounds so lame) would appreciate. I basically freaked out when I heard Maps & Atlases.

Well not only that, but the Autechre track is an often overlooked song from the extra EP they decided to include with the CD release of Tri Repetae. Will these guys make a music game soon because they know their tunes.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
No guns allowed here anyway. Gangsters always use cleavers or knives in newspapers to kill people which is much more horrifying. Some boss got beat up and killed in front of a hotel a few years ago in Tsim Sha Tsui. Oh well, Kowloon isn't in the game. (And that song Kowloon Hong Kong by the dreadful 24 Herbs is on the soundtrack too. Irony.)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

limaCAT posted:

This is how you clean up the Wah Fi store from thugs.

Also, eat all the poo poo Activision.

Haha I love details like that. 307 really runs from Central to Tai Po which is not in the game. I wonder where that bus goes in the engine...

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I actually never knew why the buttons didn't match up with other games until you posted that. I thought I had made some weird customization and forgot about it. It all makes sense now: Asian PS Triple.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
My wife is from Hong Kong got carded every time we bought alcohol in the US last year and she's almost 30. Plus, for sleeping dogs content, I had no idea Edison Chen was doing voices for it. I guess he's getting back into Hong Kong by proxy so his famous rod doesn't get cut off by the real triad.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

OtherCubed posted:

I need some ps3 people to have this so that I can actually compete with someone other than myself in the social hub. My name's OtherCubed, add me!

Added you to my list. I'd like to get more people to compete with.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well that didn't take too long. The newspaper that the MTR (Hong Kong subway system) gives out had a thing about how Sleeping Dogs is inaccurate to Hong Kong. They claim that the developers did no research and based the image on what the city looked like in the past. That's pretty crazy. I could recognize facsimiles of roads in Central (Queens Road, Soho, etc.) and it looks like some assets are photographs the creators took here (like the flat pics of store interiors). I was wondering how long it would take for people to start complaining because sometimes it seems like that's all people do here.

I can say that it looks very much like the city and holds the same vibe. Driving through the rain is gorgeous (and much more enjoyable) than doing it in real life. This is a pretty good game.

By the way, I think I just beat both ParkingTiger and Othercubed's clean driving records going something like 2:45.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Realising you've been driving safely in an open world crime game just to get a steam achievement isn't a good feeling.

True, but beating another player's score is immensely satisfying. I've never 100% any game I've owned (un)fortunately.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well, I don't normally get into open world games that much. I like LA Noir but that probably barely counts as one if it does at all. I am loving Sleeping Dogs. Finding the collectibles is fun and the map markers you get from certain missions really cuts out a lot of unnecessary steps. If you can't find them, you're going to go to a FAQ anyway, so why not build it into the game? Really like that idea.

Plus, the fighting is pretty fun. I'm not very good at it and I always get messed up by the grapplers because my Asian PS3 has the X and O buttons reversed and I still can't seem to get others to work. Like, when I get grabbed and triangle flashes, no matter how fast I press it I always get body slammed. It's just tough, I try to take them out with thrown objects.

I'm actually enjoying getting the clothes and checking out the cars and stuff. I loved driving the crazy minibus. One of the passengers yelled "A REAL BUS DRIVER WOULDN'T DRIVE LIKE THIS!" Are you kidding me? Is this the first time you've ridden on a minibus? Those jerks break any law short of vehicular manslaughter to cut a few seconds off of a route run.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

SiKboy posted:

You're probably aware, but when you say you cant press triangle fast enough, you do know that for that grab you have to tap the button over and over rather than hit it once, fast? Plus if you hit any other button it fails you (I often fail that one because I wasnt paying enough attention and hit the wrong button first). Failing that, the best way I found to deal with grapplers is to unlock the knee strike stun (and its follow up kick) and simply whale on them with that until they die. In any fight I pick a grappler and go straight for him until he is down and dont bother with the other enemies (except for counters) until the grapplers are gone. If you dont have the knee strike combo yet then other combos work too because they almost never block.

Yeah, I've tried holding it, pressing it quickly, pressing it repeatedly... I always get slammed. I guess maybe I'm hitting another button before and it's registering that. I've unlocked the knee stun, though. I'll go with that.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
RE:

GoldenNugget posted:

I love knocking poo poo out of people's hands and stealing it.

This is a huge fantasy of mine and I take care to knock the umbrellas out of every stupid idiot's hand that I see. I'm sick of getting stuck in the eye with umbrellas here because everybody is so short and the metal points are at eye level. I've had some confrontations on the street, but this just really helps to let off steam.

Still loving the game. I've never driven around in a game just to find random thugs to fight. It's so much fun!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well, I just won a street race while listening to Squarepusher and beat up a bunch of guys in a club while rocking to Plaid. Game of the loving year.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I don't know what the big deal about the voice actors is. A large slice of the player pie will be completely removed if reading of subtitles were required. When I worked in retail, I had DVDs returned every day because people didn't want to 'read a movie'. I was never really expecting any kind of full Cantonese dialogue in the first place and am surprised there is as much as there is. A choice may have been nice w/r/t extra fully Cantonese voice actors, but that's a memory/money problem.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

Jeez, nice posts. Anyways, I watched Hard Boiled for the first time today (yep because of this game) and it's sort of the inverse of Sleeping Dogs. Like, they speak mostly Cantonese (right? I wouldn't know, really) but intersperse English phrases for all sorts of things- song lyrics, exclamations, things like "come in" and "okay." Maybe it's a cinematic touch, I don't know, but that would have been more interesting than what they produced. The dialogue is still less tedious than most every other open world game of this ilk, so I love it, and yeah it would be an undue effort for something so niche. It would've been cool though.

What you described is a pretty good indication of how people speak here. Lots of English words have entered the vernacular like bye bye, thank you, sorry, and others like friend and deadline. People here also say 'poo poo' a lot in English but don't realize it's pretty strong in America as the rude word for poop in Cantonese is just kind of crass but not foul language.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

s0m3 guy posted:

I also realised there was a lack of the subways after I had finished the game.

Now that I think about it, this is super super weird.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I stood and listened to a massive argument/fight in the neighbouring apartment that went on for forever.

I heard this and listened to the whole thing but couldn't make out too much of it because my Cantonese kind of sucks. It was weird though because I was getting flashbacks to various neighbors I've had that sounded just like it. Especially the throwing stuff around the flat part.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've started getting some random crashes on the PS3. I hope it's not my machine, but it seems to be when the game saves sometimes, which worries me. Usually after a drug bust camera arrest it will lock up on the loading screen and I need to reset. I'm still enjoying the game, just worried about how much I'll enjoy it if it corrupts the save and I have to do everything again. I don't think it's my PS3, but I may need to test other games.

I also like it because with the addition of Wei, I'm not the only guy driving around Hong Kong listening to Autechre and Hudson Mohawke full blast. I've always thought that ambient/IDM really fit the feel of the city in a weird way.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I GUESS I'm showing my age, because James Hong is "Cartwright?! Cartwright!?"

The host from the Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld. An amazing role, and absolutely hilarious.

SEINFELD, FOUR!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Well, they both have the squinty eyes and the funny languages, you know? Gangnam Style being completely irrelevant to Hong Kong culture shouldn't get in the way of my le memes.

I think people here find Gangnam Style generally silly and don't want it clouding the waters of Girls' Generation and Super Junior w/r/t Korean pop.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
As someone who has planned and executed a Hong Kong style wedding, this whole mission sequence was triggering and I have reported this to the mods on the Sleeping Dogs Official Forums.

But, seriously, I did get flashbacks about dress searching, food, bottles, we did all that stuff ourselves and people here do it big. It's more like a show, not a party. Luckily we turned ours into a party and it worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I don't know why they keep doing this. I won't be able to play Sleeping Dogs again until I patch and I don't have enough space unless I clear out just about everything else. I'm going to have to delete the game. I wish they would come up with a better system.

• Locked thread