Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Outside the pretty graphics that looks like another shallow mission that shows what's wrong with most open world games.

WALK/DRIVE TO POINT A PRESS BUTTON GO TO POINT B REPEAT FOR 10 MINUTES. MISSION OVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah but those things like infiltrating areas boil down (in the video at least) to pressing a button and doing nothing but walking there, it's a glorified graphical showcase. The car jacking took 10 seconds and so did the 2 minigames.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

How would you solve this issue? What would leave you satisfied? I'm kind of curious as to how they could improve it. Mini-games? A forced stealth section?

Anything that isn't so uneventful would be a good thing. It's supposed to be an investigation, isn't it? How about puzzles instead of Press Button to Win? Unless of course, what amounts to a minute of actual gameplay (the simple minigames, the car chase) and 8 minutes of walking and driving somewhere without anything happening is a thrilling time for players. In which case there's cheaper activities you could spend your time on instead of paying u$60 for a video game, such as waiting for paint to dry or riding your bike in circles around your neighborhood.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So, I'm assuming the melee combat and shootout sections are clearly divided? I kept slight hope that it would be something akin to Dead to Rights: Retribution where you and your enemies could seamlessly switch between gun and melee combat.
Do you die in 3 seconds the moment you peek out of cover? Do enemies try any sort of flanking tactics or is it a glorified shooting gallery?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You can get the HD textures off Steam already, they're a 3GB download.

e:f;b

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

This game could've been so much better if they had focused on a seamless mix between melee and gun combat and spent most of their time on it instead of trying to do dozens of things at once.
I've played for 4 hours so far and most missions (including the side ones) have been drive from point A to point B, generic tailing and racing missions, and of course melee combat. There's plenty of force between each punch, but in the end it's a simpler version of Batman's except with no gadgets and less moves, yet the game shoves it down your throat to the point where you have seen everything it has to offer after two hours.
What little gunfights I've experienced so far are practically Gears of War duck and shoot or on-rails side missions that go on way longer than they should. Guns are so hard to come by and easy to miss that so far that aspect of the game may as well not exist.
Then there's the parkour which boils down to vaulting over small objects or climbing over ledges. It never develops more than that.

Outside missions there's nothing to do unless you like hidden collectibles. Games like The Saboteur or inFamous attempt to fix this by having things you can destroy or enemies in the area which you can kill for experience/other bonuses or if you want to enjoy the game's combat. Here there is absolutely nothing except punching helpless civilians or hiding behind a store counter for a few minutes engaging into cover shooting action with cops until you get bored and let yourself get killed.

Every gameplay feature is bad or just average. If there's one good thing I can say about is it that the city is extremely well made and full of life, which is something most non-GTA sandbox games lack.

GUI fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 15, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What exactly triggers your holstered pistol disappearing? I'll find one roaming around, get into a random fight and then notice I don't have it in my inventory anymore. I'm not starting any missions or anything.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just finished it and, while the city is beautiful and full of life, the gameplay is a mess. Girlfriend missions feel like something mandated by the publisher or the remnants of an old idea they didn't have time to fully develop. The gunplay is utter trash out of an early generation shooter with a slow motion gimmick that can only be activated by vaulting over objects. The melee combat is decent, but the environmental takedowns rarely pop up outside story missions. Side activities are only fun if you're one of those freaks who still enjoys collectibles in sand box games after a decade. The other side missions aren't too good either, boiling down to on-rail sequences that plague all games with shooting elements or dull driving missions. Lastly, the story starts out interesting but stalls during the middle and doesn't keep going again until the final 5 missions.

Since this is selling well I hope they improve on every single gameplay element and add something to do during free roam for the eventual sequel.

GUI fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 21, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

It seems like every single point you've made is just being critical for the sake of it. For example "the gunplay is utter trash"? No it isn't? It is fine? You aim the gun and shoot people, with the added fun of slow motion. What's the problem, the gunplay is fine. I think you're also the only person who has said there is nothing to do in free roam. There's plenty to do in this game. It's a fun game.

The gunplay is pretty bad in that it's not too fun. The pistol/machinegun/assault rifle are all functionally identical to each other with the shotgun being the odd one out, the enemy reactions to being hit are pretty unimpressive and every single area with gun battles is accommodated with convenient waist-high walls. It's a very basic cover shooter with a slow motion gimmick that's only limited to vaulting over objects.

Like I said, it's one of those gameplay elements I hope are improved in the sequel. The game is full of ideas but they're all executed in an average manner, undoubtedly because it's the developer's first try at a game like this.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I must've gotten lucky with the glitches since during my playthrough I got things like touching a stopped vehicle while walking and it hopping in mid-air followed by the driver flying through the windshield, or starting a race, running over the woman and being shot up into the air until my vehicle disappears into the skybox a second later and I get a mission failed message.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The undercover cop subplot feels like something that was hastily written when the game was reworked to be a True Crime sequel. Nothing is ever really done with it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Oh yeah, nothing's ever done with it, apart from being the entire focus of the plot.

What little there is of the undercover cop subplot is quickly overshadowed by all the Triad drama. Wei never has to confront any of his criminal friends who discover this, he never has to make any tough decisions between his loyalty to the badge or the triads. The entire main campaign is him hanging out with criminals with a handful of lines thrown in to remind you he's undercover lest you forget. You could get rid of the Raymond meetings and the main storyline could be a common crime drama with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Don't forget you'd have to remove the Pendrew character which would alter the entirety of the later stages of the plot, the police investigation missions and subplot with the girl cop, and you'd also have to change Wei's motivations for rising in the ranks, and remove all the ambiguity surrounding his integration into the gang, I suppose if you did all that and changed around a few other things then yes you'd have a common crime drama.

It's adorable you're being so pedantic about what would amount to little more than a few simple line rewrites. Instead of spending time with less than a handful of forgettable, short side missions the developers should've spent more time working the police elements into the main storyline missions.

• Locked thread