Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

You mentioned how it's got the cool features from Arkham, Assassin's, and Max Payne, but there's also the awesome vehicle-to-vehicle takeovers from Just Cause 2.

Also you can dress Wei Shen up, so if you're a complete nut for unlockable character sustomization like I am, you'll be pretty set. I'm looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Man, if you can't figure out how to market a game with Arkham's fighting, Just Cause's driving, Max Payne's shooting, and Assassin's Creed's parkour, you should probably just get out of the marketing game altogether.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I find it amazing, that, marketing people refuse to have female protagonists in the 21st Century.

:v: "Only men play games, and they don't want to play as female characters because girls are icky!"

Seriously? Sort it out, gaming industry - as any man who has played as female Shepard in Mass Effect knows, female protagonists are just as good as male ones (unless they're just horrible cheesecake-y sex objects designed soley to titilate male players, of course).

Well, that's less a problem with video game marketing and more a problem with pretty much all media ever. There's this unconscious assumption that straight white guys are the default main character, and if you change any of those factors, you have to do it for a REASON. Which is why we end up with so many horrible cheesecake-y sex objects, because if someone's making a woman character, people feel like they have to justify it by having her be "Female As Hell". Unfortunately, most people doing this are male and don't really know what the hell they're doing. Honestly, the fact that Wei Shen isn't like a half-Asian, half-white guy is almost unheard of in gaming.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Man, I never preorder games, but this one did it for me. That sweet release date shipping from Amazon was calling to me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Quiet Python posted:

Jacking vehicles in motion was done for the first time, to my knowledge, in "The Wheelman" game starring Vin Diesel. They also had the "vehicle melee" system which Sleeping Dogs apparently also has some version of, allowing you to ignore certain physical laws in order to ram vehicles off the road more easily.

I'm really excited for Sleeping Dogs. An open-world game set in a Hong Kong Action Movie universe? Sign me up!

I've been seeing a lot of supportive comments for Sleeping Dogs online, though I wonder how much of that is genuine enthusiasm for the game and how much is people hoping the game is successful so they can point and laugh at Activision for dropping it.

While I'm sure something else has done it before, I know the in-motion vehicle jacking was in the original Just Cause, and that came out back in the days when it still made sense to have your game have a PS2 port come out at the same time.

Also glad to see some more actual footage of the game come out, because for something that's coming out in less than a month, it's drat hard to find actual gameplay to show people.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Looks like that german reviewer really digs it. Glad to see a ton of good reviews for it. I remember the fighting seeming a little clunky back in that gamespot preview a while ago, but it definitely doesn't look that way now. And man, those streets just feel alive.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Incidentally, this could be all just baseless rumors with absolutely nothing to go on, but I've been hearing rumors of a demo release on Tuesday. But nothing from any sources more trustworthy than "my dad's cousin works at Nintendo".

EDIT: It bothers me the way everybody says "Sleeping Dogs" with the emphasis on the Sleeping, as though no one's ever heard of the phrase.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 22, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

This looks fantastic, like they've fixed the things that the old True Crime games hosed up. :swoon:

Hell, open world games in general. When they showed the slo-mo kicking in every time he fired from a vehicle, my jaw dropped. OF COURSE. That's BRILLIANT.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So am I crazy or is amazon not doing release day delivery for this? You'd think if they had their own exclusive preorder bonus that they'd at least try to get it to you on the day it comes out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

I ordered it last week, and it offered release day delivery then. 360 version.

Bizarre. Must not have been available when I placed my order. I also just found out that if I ship to my apartment, it's $5 of taxes. Ship it to my office, no taxes. Mail is weird.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dude, people are allowed to find things somewhat distasteful. I find the level of violence in some of the finishing moves to be a turn off, even though I know they're not actual people. Somebody finding a minigame in a video game where you have animals murder each other for profit to be in poor taste is not out of line for having that opinion. People can like or dislike whatever the hell they want, that's not stupid.

Now, not buying Sleeping Dogs and telling everyone how awesome it is? THAT would be stupid.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

47 minutes of 360 gameplay from a Polish reviewer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQhzO-vknH0&hd=1

There's Karaoke. :haw:
Yakuza fans where you at

It made me laugh how in that German playthough, the guy goes into a massage parlor and is obviously disappointed that he's getting a professional massage by a dude. Then in this, the very first thing Wei does after getting a car is get an illegal backroom "massage" from an attractive woman.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Glad to see I'm not the only one who watched somebody get thrown on a meathook and immediately thought "nope, no way am I doing that". Those guys can all just count themselves lucky that I'm only going to beat them unconscious and throw them over a railing instead of shoving their face into an air conditioner fan blade. You're welcome, criminal underworld.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that I was actually playing Just Cause 2 when I saw the news, but I think that's pretty darn neat.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Here's a new 35 minute Giant Bomb video on the 360 preview version.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-a-preview-of-sleeping-dogs/17-6378/

edit: Ryan isn't playing well at all :(

Can't wait to see how horrible everybody who gets a copy before street date and streams it is. That's like a law of nature that people playing a game before release always suck.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

LibbyM posted:

I haven't been following this game at all. One of my favourite things was all the insanely divergent endings of the original true crime. Like, so different that they crossed into different genre's depending on the ending.

Have the developers given any word on whether that kind of thing has still carried over?
Obviously they wouldn't be talking about "we got all these crazy endings", but have they mentioned multiple endings?

Everything I can see points to the game having one predetermined narrative. It doesn't look like your triad or cop standing will affect the plot, just what upgrades you unlock.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Nothing huge, but there's a new trailer on the website showing off the shooting mechanics a bit. Just a little shy of two weeks now!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

How would you solve this issue? What would leave you satisfied? I'm kind of curious as to how they could improve it. Mini-games? A forced stealth section?

In Just Cause 2, they had a little QTE when you jacked a vehicle. This was the most annoying thing ever and I'm glad you can pretty much just press a button and hijack a car. I mean, I can sort of understand where he's coming from, but there's not a whole lot of ways to add more interaction without making things needlessly complicated.

Also, holy balls, almost to the week mark!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ijyt posted:

God I love poo poo like this because it makes everything feel so over-the-top and cinematic.

Yeah, I've never really played a game where I'm like "man, I hope shooting a tire makes this car slowly skid to a halt." Nope, I wanna see that fucker slam into a barrier and flip ten feet into the air and explode.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Alright, it's the Saturday before a Tuesday release. Time to spend my day refreshing Amazon and yelling "ship, drat you!"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lasher posted:

On the branching story line thing it was a pretty daft part of True Crime anyway. Terribly implemented too as I recall. Like, you had to be FULL renegade cop to get the shittest ending. I know I did some grinding in the seedy bath house level with the stealth section because you could do lethal/non lethal takedowns.

On the other hand, it was pretty cool how failing a mission wouldn't make you restart but would give you a new cutscene and often a brand new plot line. But that sort of thing obviously takes a fuckton of work so I can understand why we dont see it more often. It does bother me how reviewers are docking it for features it doesn't have, in terms of the lack of a branching storyline. God forbid a game does its own thing. Although the irony of saying that about a game that is a mix of features from other games doesn't elude me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It's a masterful double blind move by Wei. "What, you think if I was an undercover cop i'd walk in dressed in a SWAT uniform? Come on. You know who's suspicious? That guy over there not wearing a SWAT uniform. What's he hiding?"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So I end up asking this every time I preorder a game, which is rare anyway, but I assume folks who preordered through amazon haven't been shipped yet? I've got the craving now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aww yeah, my amazon order just shipped.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dryer Lint posted:

This game actually looks pretty good, gameinformer even gave it a low score! Why have I not heard of this game?

Probably because they didn't pay game informer for a high score and advertising.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, everything I've heard is that the focus is on fists, with guns being a temporary distraction. Like Yakuza in that sense.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

The 360 version came out today in the US right?

Yep. My copy showed up at work today and now I have to sit around pretending to work until I can play it. Wish it had a manual I could pore over, but oh well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I have to imagine that the spoken Chinese is good not because of the translation, but because the actors speaking it were like "this poo poo makes no sense, let me fix it" because they actually know how to speak Chinese.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't like how Wei literally can't walk, outside of scripted areas where it is enabled. His jog and run animations aren't particularly great either.

If you hold down the left trigger, the camera pulls up behind his back and he goes into walk mode, basically. So if you feel like just strutting around, there you go.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I'm totally wearing a brown leather jacket, white tshirt and stonewashed blue jeans. Just need to find some sailors and I'm all set.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I love how when you wake up from a nightmare due to all the stress, Wei is visibly shaken and freaking out for a bit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Love some of the upgraded moves. Especially how they'll cause reactions, like breaking a guys knee in order to make everyone around freak out and give you a few seconds of breathing room. Or charging at an opponent, tackling them and punching them in the face to start a fight.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

There's a pretty decent number of collectibles that are in story locations, which makes it weird when you see one sitting on a table during a cutscene and making a beeline for it after the scene ends.

Although why there's a police lockbox in the main office of a local nightclub is beyond me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Where is the entrance to that office anyway? The box taunts me every time, but I didn't find it the one time I checked.

It's up in the VIP office, the one door in that section, but you can't actually get in until a certain point in the story. It'll be pretty obvious, since you'll start that section off standing in that room.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Totally just used the ingame mechanics to organically pull off that badass move where you slam on the handbrake, do a 180, blast your pursuers in the face with an SMG, whip around again and drive off without losing any momentum. I'm seriously going to judge every open world game on whether or no it includes auto slo-mo when you fire from a vehicle. Best feature ever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

How do you hack the cameras located way higher than you could possibly get to?

e: I guess the boxes are just really hard to find in some cases.

If you look carefully, you can see the cable that runs from the camera to the box and can just follow that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Does this game have a new game plus? I think I might like to play through it again someday after I beat it, but without feeling like I have to do all the side stuff to level up my cop rank / face rank / health meter / melee skills.

Nope, but you can replay all the story missions at your leisure.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Part of the storyline, yes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Two questions. Is there any better way to get triad xp after beating the story besides replaying missions for a neglible amount, and is there a reliable way to find handguns now that I've beaten the story and am no longer playing by the game's rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, did a couple mission replays with the 15% triad xp outfit, and the bar moved so little it was almost laughable. I've got just like half a bar to fill before I can be fully leveled up, but its gonna be a hell of a grind if this is the only way. Maybe I just have to wait for some Dlc mission or something.

• Locked thread