Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Realtalk, Rhyno, would you call Quantum and Woody your favorite comic? Because I reread the original run basically due to you mentioning it constantly in glowing terms and I could see why it would be.

It's a tie between it an Hitman. Scroll up, I was super pissed at the announcement of the new series (I was really wrong). I spent entirely too much money on buying the out of print trades even though I owned the single issues just to get like 3 pages of extras in each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't really posted in this thread since I heard about the relaunch but between TPBs and Comixology I've finally caught up with every single series Valiant is putting out and I really like them all. I know it's only a handful of titles but this is really the first time I've been invested in a company like this before. Literally everything they're putting out is really good. At least in my opinion. I think my favorites are probably Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Quantum & Woody. But I really do sincerely like every title they're putting out. With this solid of a track record I can wait to see what the next title to come out is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

I haven't really posted in this thread since I heard about the relaunch but between TPBs and Comixology I've finally caught up with every single series Valiant is putting out and I really like them all. I know it's only a handful of titles but this is really the first time I've been invested in a company like this before. Literally everything they're putting out is really good. At least in my opinion. I think my favorites are probably Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Quantum & Woody. But I really do sincerely like every title they're putting out. With this solid of a track record I can wait to see what the next title to come out is.

The only bad thing I have to say about any Valiant books is the art in Unity #1. Doug Braithwait is one of the worst artists in comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is the Valiant starter bundle worth getting? I've never read any of their comics before, but it's the first 4-5 issues of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman and A&A for $30, which is a really good deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is the Valiant starter bundle worth getting? I've never read any of their comics before, but it's the first 4-5 issues of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman and A&A for $30, which is a really good deal.

Yes. Definitely get it. Harbinger is kind of tough to get through in the beginning because the main character is a pretty lovely person, but it's one of my favorites now. Especially after they flesh out the rest of the cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes Yes YESSSSSS. It's worth it for A&A alone. And then go spend $10 on the Q&W trade because it's the funniest goddamned thing ever

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I fell off the map with Valiant stuff, but then realized that both Harbinger and XO Manowar has deluxe editions with fifteen issues each. Are Bloodshot and Archer & Armstrong getting the same treatment?

Oh, I'm jumping on Quantum & Woody's trade regardless. Amazon has it for about $6-7.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Q&W was one of the best books of the week as usual, and Milligan's first issue on Shadowman was a marked improvement over the past half-dozen+ issues. I mean, it wasn't hard given how little page time was dedicated to Jack during that time, but still, saved me from dropping it off my pulls.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Shadowman is the only Valiant title I haven't cared for. Everything else has ranged from Pretty Good (X-O) to Amazing (A&A, Quantum & Woody)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy hell is Q&W a great comic. The throwaway lines are funnier than half the poo poo in other books that are written to be "funny."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks to the Comixology sale I just bought like every Valiant book since the relaunch up to this month. I've read a few issues of each and they are all pretty great. Is there a particular reading order I should be following WRT Harbinger Wars?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Harbinger Wars - Harbinger - Bloodshot, as far as I know.

I'm up to date with X-0 now and got the first issue of unity too :toot:

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Another Valiant sale on Comixology, they call this one the "Must Read Valiant Sale"-22 issues of various titles for 99˘ each-a pretty good entry point for anyone that's still on the fence.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant has unveiled their Valiant First initiative for later this year.

New series:
- Rai by Matt Kindt and Clayton Crane (May)
- The Death-Defying Dr Mirage by Jen Van Meter and Roberto de la Torre (September)

Limited Event series:
- "Armor Hunters", tying to arcs of Unity and X-O Manowar and with special issues for Bloodshot and Harbinger

quote:

A relentless and surgical strike team from the farthest reaches of space – sworn to exterminate the X-O Manowar armor and all like it – have found finally their last target. They will hunt. They will trap. They will kill. And they will rid the universe of the X-O Manowar’s incalculable destructive power…even if it means taking the Earth with it.
- "The Delinquents", a crossover series for Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody, written by Fred van Lente and James Asmus.

quote:

It’s the world's worst team-up when Archer & Armstrong meet Quantum and Woody! We apologize in advance for what can only be described as a swashbuckling, conspiracy-smashing, partner-trading, goat-fueled race across the USA!

I'm a little on the fence about Dr Mirage since I didn't feel much for her when she debuted in Shadowman, but under a different writer she could probably be more interesting. Might at least try the first issue. Totally in for everything else, though.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The Delinquents is going to be the best ever. :allears:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Wondercon panel recap:

- Harbinger ending with 48-page #25. August will be a new series or mini (conflicting reports) called Harbinger: Omega
- The Delinquents will be Fred Van Lente's end of Archer & Armstrong related stuff. Doesn't sound like book is being cancelled though.
- As well, they're planning on doing something for variant covers to The Delinquents. "A variant cover set that is planned are interlocking covers that feature a fully-playable board game."
- Since Bloodshot is being cancelled, he's joining the Unity team with issue 8
- Eternal Warrior is on hiatus, both because Pak sounds overworked and the timing works out for Valiant to push Rai in the meantime
- Rai #1 will be accompanied by Rai Plus #1, which is a 48-page version of the issue with "in-continuity extra content", available only to pre-orders. They wanna do more stuff like this if it's successful.
- Shadowman not confirmed to end after Shadowman: End Times, but also not confirmed to continue. Seems like Valiant's strategy for about-to-be-cancelled books is to give it a miniseries and see if sales pick up for that. If not, the series ends and/or characters are shuffled to other titles.
- Dr Mirage will be the final title as part of All-New Valiant. Could be used as a replacement title for Shadowman if that gets canned.

I'm getting the feeling that this is the year a lot of the titles on life support finally get chopped off, and a lot of stuff moves towards either new #1's, ensemble titles, and things revolving around X-O Manowar. I can't blame them, given the sales numbers, but at least the higher-selling stuff is still consistently great.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I will miss Bloodshot. He was surprisingly sympathetic, and the HC guys were a fun bunch.

As much as I like Harbinger, I'm glad that they have an end in mind - they couldn't have dragged out the Renegades/Harada conflict for much longer, really.

Shadowman? Well, I liked Master Darque.. that's about it.

I'm glad to hear everything else is going to stay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That doesn't sound very positive as far as keeping a full lineup of titles. And no word on the Q&W2 series?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The new Quantum & Woody miniseries by Bright and Priest will kick off in October, according to Valiant.

They also announced an omnibus for all the old Q&W stuff, including appearances they made in other books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. Better sell my original run right now.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Bloodshot is not canceled!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/15/valiants-bloodshot-will-return-in-october/

Now we all just need to keep our fingers crossed for Eternal Warrior...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Issue 24 of Harbringer was pretty good. The series felt like it had been meandering and I was wondering how they were going to progress things past the status quo they'd seem to reach, but this issue did that. I'm interested to see what happens with Peter now given his current state. I've liked this series a lot; sometimes I've found the dialogue writing a little iffy but overall it's been fun.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Dinesh says that things are moving forward on Valiant's first foray into film.

Bloodshot, directed by Matthew Vaughn. Seems like an easy enough sell to mass audiences as far as movie concepts go. He was evasive on further plans, but the Valiant twitter teased some huge movie news soon. Could be a separate project, could be just concrete details on this. Either way, they've always said they wanna do it on their own accord and not because they wanna just cash in on the superhero craze, so hopefully if this pans out it's one of the more thought-out superhero film properties.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Probably the easiest sell but far and away the most boring choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Probably the easiest sell but far and away the most boring choice.

Boring? No way. The current Bloodshot book has been fantastic and Vaughn is an amazing director. This could be excellent.

No where's my Quantum & Woody tv series?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not caught up on everything yet, but Bloodshot is honestly my favourite of the Valiant books right now, so I'm looking forward to it.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Sweet, a Bloodshot movie! I can't help but imagine it as an 80's style action movie, what with the gunplay, gore, and near-immortal protagonist. I just hope they can manage to make him sympathetic in the process.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"Shall I deploy the hug-starved orphans in suicide vests?!"

Quantum & Woody is weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

Quantum & Woody is the best goddamn book, for serious.

Yep.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jeff Lemire is coming to Valiant to do a book with Matt Kindt and Paolo Rivera.

Not much info yet, the full story will be coming out tomorrow, but CBR says

quote:

Valiant has described it as a "prestige" standalone series, in the spirit of "Kingdom Come."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh man, Paolo doing pages again has me so excited.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Big week for Valiant news, AICN is reporting that in addition to the planned Bloodshot and Shadowman movies in varying stages of pre-production, an Archer & Armstrong script is finished and moving into the next stage of pre-production as well.

quote:

The ARCHER & ARMSTRONG Motion Picture is set to adhere pretty close to the recent Fred Van Lente/Clayton Henry run which follows the offbeat adventures of Archer—a sheltered young man raised by a religious sect and possessing the ability to mimic any fighting style he sees and his partner Armstrong—an immortal drunkard with a penchant for chaos, mayhem, and inebriated fisticuffs. My source also says that the film will feature the One Percent (the bull and bear mask-wearing Wall Street secret society) as the main villains of the film and other Valiant characters will most likely appear in the film as well; specifically the Eternal Warrior (also known as Armstrong's brother, and the star of his separate comic book series), which could potentially make this a lead-in to Valiant's own interconnected movie universe.

Casting will totally make or break this movie, I can already tell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a shame we don't live in a universe where John Belushi is alive and like 20 years younger.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Space_Butler posted:

Big week for Valiant news, AICN is reporting that in addition to the planned Bloodshot and Shadowman movies in varying stages of pre-production, an Archer & Armstrong script is finished and moving into the next stage of pre-production as well.

Casting will totally make or break this movie, I can already tell.

Matt Damon and Russell Crowe

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
More info on the Lemire/Rivera/Kindt comic:

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/lemire-kindt-and-riveras-valiant-book-revealed-the-valiant/

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Those pages look incredible. Between this and Lemire's involvement being a big deal since he's off DC exclusivity, hopefully this is the kind of project that really gives Valiant a bit more profile among those that barely pay attention to the non-big-2.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
How is Lemire's cape writing? The only thing I've read of his is Sweet Tooth. Which was very good and emotional, even if the overall narrative wasn't particularly strong. The series he wrote after that... I couldn't like his art. It worked in Sweet Tooth, but when he started doing non-post apocalyptic sci fi it just looked so crude and ugly.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Endless Mike posted:

It's a shame we don't live in a universe where John Belushi is alive and like 20 years younger.

As much as I love John Belushi, give me a circa-Raising Arizona John Goodman as Armstrong and we're set.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Neurosis posted:

How is Lemire's cape writing? The only thing I've read of his is Sweet Tooth. Which was very good and emotional, even if the overall narrative wasn't particularly strong. The series he wrote after that... I couldn't like his art. It worked in Sweet Tooth, but when he started doing non-post apocalyptic sci fi it just looked so crude and ugly.

I like it though not as much as his personal stuff.

Green Arrow is a really good street level cape book that takes stuff from the Arrow tv show and makes it work in the comics. Justice League United is good too though takes a bit longer to find it's footing. Essex County is still his strongest work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neurosis posted:

His early Animal Man stuff is great but it kinda lost me after Travel Foreman left.

• Locked thread