Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The current Humble Book Bundle is a Valiant collection, pay whatever you want for Volumes One and Two of Unity, Quantum & Woody, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, and the PC version of the old Shadow Man video game. Beat the average to add Rai 1-4, Harbinger Wars Volume One, and Volumes One and Two of Shadowman, Eternal Warrior, and Bloodshot with "more comics coming soon!" And if you go over $15 you'll also get a collection of Valiant Masters, which I believe is just a rebranding of the original 90's releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have never read anything by Valiant and my sole exposure to their characters is Mike Conroy's decade-old 500 Comic Book Villains book (nor am I into digital in most cases), but the abovementioned bundle seemed like really good value. I've plonked down $30 on it and I've had a glance through some of the stuff. It looks like it ought to be pretty good.

As I mentioned in the chat thread, though, the pages in the .cbz downloads have been named in such a way that they're all out of order. I prefer that format but the .pdf option should be fine as well.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
This is a really good deal for anyone like me, who's been wanting to check out the current Valiant universe stuff. Due to money concerns, the only series I was reading was the fun Archer and Armstrong, but I even dropped that due to cutting back. So for about $10 you can get 77 digital comics, and they'll be adding more. I'm close to digital-only these days anyway, so I grabbed it.

Edit: Oh, and they threw in the PC port of the N64 Shadow Man game. I have added it to the backlog of Steam games I shall never play.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 20, 2014

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
I picked up the humble bundle for this, since I've been enjoying Q&W. Is there any reading order for the comics? Or do I just go through each series?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should read probably read Harbinger and X-O before Unity and Harbinger Wars

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant is launching 5 more titles in addition to The Valiant in 2015, some monthly, some limited.

quote:

IVAR, TIMEWALKER by Fred Van Lente and Clayton Henry in January
DIVINITY (Limited) by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine in February
IMPERIUM by Joshua Dysart and Doug Braithwaite in February
NINJAK by Matt Kindt and Clay Mann in March
BLOODSHOT REBORN by Jeff Lemire and Mico Suayan in April

All of these sound fantastic, but I'm super sold on Divinity. I'm interested to see how Imperium works out in the long-term, since I wonder how long you can do a Harbinger book without any Harbingers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I have not read any Bloodshot but I will give anything written by Jeff Lemire a chance. I think he said that he will also be drawing some of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was anyone else completely underwhelmed by Q2?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I wasn't familiar with the original run, only the currently-running version, so I have no real frame of reference but it didn't do much for me compared to how much fun the new run has been.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

I wasn't familiar with the original run, only the currently-running version, so I have no real frame of reference but it didn't do much for me compared to how much fun the new run has been.

Compared to the new version it was just terrible. I'll always love Priest and Doc but Q2 probably should have never happened.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Started reading the new Valiant thanks to the Comixology Black Friday sale. I really liked Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody. Does X-O Manowar tie in with other titles, or can I just read it on its own? It seems to be interconnected closely with Harbinger and Unity, so I only got volume 1.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
X-0 was like one of the first titles released and it is definitely stand alone for quite a while. The whole Unity thing comes a lot later from memory.

edit: Issue #19 to be precise.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So after months of hype and advertising did anybody pick up The Valiant #1?

I liked it. Rivera's art was on point and having never read any Valiant stuff before it was a good introductry issue, though when Bloodshot showed up I did feel like I was reading a slightly knockoff Wolverine character. Hoping that Rivera goes all out with the Immortal Enemies design.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant #2 was great, loved the blending of Lemire's and Rivera's art, and Lemire isn't wasting a single panel in this book. No ads to break the action up makes it even better.

The coloring is a bit weird though, it has this digitized "texture" to it. It's hard to describe, but up close it almost looks like there were printing problems, yet it was clearly intentional. Very strange choice, since everything else about this book is so crisp and vibrant.

My shop didn't get any of Timewalker, so I'm gonna have to grab that digitally. I like that even though Valiant has been ending series like Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger, they've turn turned around and started new titles continuing the story from a different perspective with the same creative teams. It's doing a great job of making the universe feel like an actually ongoing, cohesive saga. Just wish this stuff sold well enough for my shop to pay more attention and remember to order them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ivar was good and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes. It's lacking some of A&A's charm and seems a bit too Doctor Who maybe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a dude ask for Timewalker because he couldn't find it on the stand and was annoyed that we didn't have it. I grabbed it for him and he got pissy because it was in the I section so I had to move it over to T to make him happy.

Oh funny book shop, you will never get boring.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably going to get Ninjak and Bloodshot when they drop because I really have to stop giving Valiant the short shrift by buying all their stuff on sale on comixology.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Preaching to the choir, but Ninjak is really great and I recommend picking it up.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I did not expect The Valiant #4 to end the way it did. Mainly, I'm kind of sad that (BIG SPOILER) Kay McHenry is dead. She was a fun character in her debut in A&A, and I'd hoped that we would see more of her.

Also, what the heck was Palmer doing at the funeral? In full HARD Corps regalia, no less.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Don't worry, if the previews to Bloodshot Reborn are any indication, we'll be seeing much more of her because he's hallucinating her out if guilt. Or she transferred her consciousness into him Spock-style. One of the two.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

HARBINGER WARS

UNITY

ARMOR HUNTERS

THE VALIANT

BOOK OF DEATH

Valiant announced something called the Book of Death.

I'm just gonna assume it's a new Mini :toot:

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Given the prominence of Shadowman and Punk Mambo in the picture, this is probably going to be an attempt to revitalize the supernatural corner of the Valiant U. As long as they don't put Milligan on it, I'm game.

Punk Mambo was a fun comic, but everything else Milligan has done for this company has been regrettable at best.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
New Book of Death info!
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/valiant-announces-their-newest-event-book-of-death/1100-151913/

So, it's not supernatural after all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some of those covers/promos look really awesome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just had a "I'm old" moment when a coworker came up to and said "hey did you hear they're adapting that old Nintendo game Turok into a comic book?"

I think I still have my original Turok issues somewhere back home. Which reminds me. I didn't realize until maybe a year or two ago that Deathmate Red actually eventually got released. I just thought it forever existed as an ad for a comic that never got finished.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

ruddiger posted:

Just had a "I'm old" moment when a coworker came up to and said "hey did you hear they're adapting that old Nintendo game Turok into a comic book?"

I think I still have my original Turok issues somewhere back home. Which reminds me. I didn't realize until maybe a year or two ago that Deathmate Red actually eventually got released. I just thought it forever existed as an ad for a comic that never got finished.

What's even more ridiculous is that Turok is old as hell, his first appearance was 60 years ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bloodshot Reborn #1 is predictably really great. I hope these things are selling okay because they've been cool as all getup.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

LordPants posted:

Bloodshot Reborn #1 is predictably really great. I hope these things are selling okay because they've been cool as all getup.
Yeah Bloodshot might be my new favorite Valiant title now, this is gonna be a crazy run I hope lasts for a while. It's also nice how ramifications from their event books immediately pay off, instead of just setting up a meandering new status quo like at the big two.

As far as sales, from what I've seen, a bunch of the Valiant Next titles have been selling out of 2nd and 3rd prints, so that's very good news.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ninjak #1 2nd Ptg is already sold out. We've moved so many that I haven't even gotten to read it yet.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Good news, bad news.

Good news: There is a five movie deal to get two Bloodshot films, two Harbinger films, and a tie-in Harbinger Wars film starting in 2017.

Bad news: it is with Sony pictures, so it'll probably all be awful.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Those are certainly the safest choices, given what the current cinema landscape looks like right now. I was more excited by the A&A and Shadowman announcements - at least those properties are obviously different than other recent comic book movies.

Instead, we'll be getting movies about a school for kids with powers, and a spinoff about an unkillable former soldier with memory problems.

(Seriously, I love Harbinger and Bloodshot, but Sony has their work cut out for them if they want these films to appear distinct.)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Rusty Kettle posted:

Good news, bad news.

Good news: There is a five movie deal to get two Bloodshot films, two Harbinger films, and a tie-in Harbinger Wars film starting in 2017.

Bad news: it is with Sony pictures, so it'll probably all be awful.
But Valiant has the character rights so they'll still be able to dictate what will and won't fly, right?

Right?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Benny the Snake posted:

But Valiant has the character rights so they'll still be able to dictate what will and won't fly, right?

Right?

We can hope. We can also hope that the MCU and DC universes have jumped the shark so badly by 2017 that this will be well received.

Speaking of Bloodshot, did he have a weird racial shift? I thought he was an African American man (from Bloodshot #0) but Reborn has him as white. Maybe the nanites leaving his body took his pigment with him. Maybe they didn't want their comics depicting an extremely violent black man.

I usually applaud valiant for their diversity, but this seems weird. Between the bloodshot and harbinger movies, you have both Faith and Livewire depicting people who aren't well represented in the MCU. Hopefully Animelia will be there as well.

My dream project would be XO manowar on Starz or FX (or HBO) written and directed by the same people who did Spartacus.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm catching up on a bunch of Valiant series, and I really love what they've done since their big comeback. I have nostalgia for the 90s junk, but the new stuff is really good on its own, I think.

It's almost all good. Quantum and Woody got a little tiresome, and the big Armor Hunters crossover thing stunk, and I'm not into Unity, but X-O, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Rai, Harbinger... so good. I'm about to start Ninjak and Ivar and a couple of the other newer series, and my expectations are pretty drat high. They've been kinda killing it.

It's so funny, I mean characters like Bloodshot and Ninjak are still corny as gently caress, but they made it work somehow.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm catching up on a bunch of Valiant series, and I really love what they've done since their big comeback. I have nostalgia for the 90s junk, but the new stuff is really good on its own, I think.

It's almost all good. Quantum and Woody got a little tiresome, and the big Armor Hunters crossover thing stunk, and I'm not into Unity, but X-O, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Rai, Harbinger... so good. I'm about to start Ninjak and Ivar and a couple of the other newer series, and my expectations are pretty drat high. They've been kinda killing it.

It's so funny, I mean characters like Bloodshot and Ninjak are still corny as gently caress, but they made it work somehow.

I agree with Quantum and Woody. The first couple trades were good, but it certainly went downhill. I didn't get too far into Shadowman as well. I gave up and started reading other stuff, but I will try again soon.

I enjoyed Armor Hunters but they need to explore the everyday impact more. In a few years, the world has gone from being much like it is today to having aliens, psiots, and time traveling barbarians in power armor. Cities have been devastated, crazy tech is being developed, and lots of other nutty things have happened over the last few years. Harbinger, Bloodshot, and XO manowar did decent jobs of keeping everything low key and covered up, but Armor Hunters changed all that. The big event at the end of Harbinger led nicely into the fantastic Imperium, but Armor Hunters didn't really have as big of a followup other than the exposure of Unity.

The last few Unity issues that focused on the individual members were top notch. I like the characters having depth, and that is what they are doing with the last few Unity issues.

Ivar is great, but I don't know what the titular character is trying to do. The lady is much more interesting.

Ninjak is awesome and crazy. Excellent adventure comic, and again, there is plenty of character depth exploration.

Bloodshot reborn is shaping up nicely as well. I really like the direction they are going with him. Read the excellent four part 'Valiant' series first. Bloodshot got pretty stale by the end of his 25 issue run, so this 'reboot' is refreshing. The original 25 issues were great, but they were running out of places to bring him. He was just a typical 'shooty man' who is hard to kill. Now he is much more interesting and I really want to know where they are going with the story.

I need to read 'Dr. Mirage' much more slowly. It isn't the most straight forward of comics, so gave up vowing to get back to it when I was in the right state of mind.

Divinity is pretty good, but I don't know how it fits into the greater picture. We'll see I guess. Pretty art and excellent for what it is though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rusty Kettle posted:

The last few Unity issues that focused on the individual members were top notch. I like the characters having depth, and that is what they are doing with the last few Unity issues.

Bloodshot reborn is shaping up nicely as well. I really like the direction they are going with him. Read the excellent four part 'Valiant' series first. Bloodshot got pretty stale by the end of his 25 issue run, so this 'reboot' is refreshing. The original 25 issues were great, but they were running out of places to bring him. He was just a typical 'shooty man' who is hard to kill. Now he is much more interesting and I really want to know where they are going with the story.

I'll pick Unity back up. The early going felt like an inessential companion to the other books, but I'm interested if it goes other places.

And I totally agree about Bloodshot; it fizzled out.

I generally don't like crossover events, but Harbinger Wars was cool, and he was well-utilized there, but then just hung around being a bit boring afterward. The scenes with him and Kay in The Valiant were so great though, and got me super primed for Reborn.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The main villain of Book of Death has been revealed. SPOILERS.

I approve.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Tequila Bob posted:

The main villain of Book of Death has been revealed. SPOILERS.

I approve.

Now I'm excited about this! Before, I was afraid that it would be a bunch of 'here is a bunch of your favorite characters dying', but it is actually going to have a plot, which is awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So has Dynamite officially given up on their Gold Key line? Because from what my dude at Valiant told me, one year after the failure of the Dynamite line Valiant was going to enter talks to actually purchase Turok, Magnus and Solar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they ended all of them after 12 issues. Which is a shame because all three books were great.

• Locked thread