Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Gynovore posted:

And in other news, valiance supposedly has a server up.

https://valianceonline.wordpress.com/2015/12/25/the-server-awakens/

Someone please try this and tell us how lovely it is, on a scale of one to lovely.

Well, I went to download it just to see and the link to download the launcher gives a 404 error. So... pretty lovely, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
They've got a lot more money than we do. And full time staff.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

General Maximus posted:

Well, I went to download it just to see and the link to download the launcher gives a 404 error. So... pretty lovely, yes.

Yup, the version of the launcher that was available yesterday is no longer working I guess, we have to download the new launcher. The link in the old launcher to go download the new one 404s.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pez posted:

It's still a game it's just no longer a current game. My point is that if Warc wants to hype this project so people can get excited over some random models and Poser mannequins and keep throwing money at it then it should have its own thread.

My point is deal with it, I'll shitpost in here even worse of you drive him out

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's a serious threat. Spinning elephant dude knows how to shitpost. Worse, it flocks. Have you ever been shitposted on by a flock of spinning elephants? It gets EVERYWHERE.
... man, our patcher knew how to patch _itself_ over a year ago. I swear, presentation matters, folks.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 29, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Eonwe posted:

My point is deal with it, I'll shitpost in here even worse of you drive him out

Go for it, at least then there'll be some worthwhile content

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No there wont

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This thread has gone to the americans!

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Whoof. Okay. Thoughts on this iteration of Valiance Online.

The first bits of chargen. None of those sliders do anything, of course.

This is the only face.

In fact, most of the options to change things do nothing. Eyes lets you switch between eyes and glowing white eyes. Hair Style lets you switch hairstyles, but after looking at four or five, the buttons stopped working. So I guess it's dorky ponytail. Note: those colors are definitely not correct.

Most of the shirt and pants options are just painted-on tights patterns.

Except this belt!

Fiddling with Chest Component gave me this foggy glow around my feet. It won't turn off. None of the Component buttons do anything else, nor does Belt.

Spaces in names are disallowed. I seem to recall this was a problem CoH had solved in 2004.

Okay! Time to get In The Game!

Uh. That's ... not right.

What happened to me? And these colors and textures shift as the camera moves. You might notice I'm standing on a different floor - it's the same location, but EVERY texture is changing as I pan the camera.

Controls default to WQES for movement, AD are keyboard turning. I attempt to correct this insanity.

I am unable to.

There are a number of named NPCs sitting around what appears to be a central building. But given their mercurial appearance, it's hard to tell them apart.

Especially because they don't have names until you click on them.

This really just is not right at all.

HMMM THOSE ZONE WALLS ARE KINDA FAMILIAR.

I accept a mission. My waypoint and objectives list do not change.

The map is ... not so useful.

Hey, an enemy! I'm gonna fight it!

It goes poorly.

This skybox is a little hosed.

I eventually locate a level 0 enemy and attack it. Takes about a minute to kill, and I'm at 4% HP when it's over.

Of course, he drops a loot bag.

Yeah this is where I turned it the gently caress off. D-, Would Not Play Again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Eonwe posted:

No there wont

Please don't aggravate a really bad poster to show you exactly how bad he is, thanks

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

No one can be told what the Matrix is, they must see it for themself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Please don't aggravate a really bad poster to show you exactly how bad he is, thanks

Or really good poster?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Eonwe posted:

Or really good poster?

Eonwe.

Eonwe, buddy.

Think about it a second, okay?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

kafziel posted:

Whoof. Okay. Thoughts on this iteration of Valiance Online.

This is breathtakingly lovely, I'm really impressed!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Eonwe posted:

Or really good poster?

Yeah, no.

Flesh Forge posted:

This is breathtakingly lovely, I'm really impressed!

Alpha game being poo poo I can handle, but the costume creator just being a bunch of random spandex patterns is inexcusable. It's not 2001 anymore, even a 'spiritual successor' to CoX can't get away with that much lazy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

im the 128x128 texture

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mirage posted:

Eonwe.

Eonwe, buddy.

Think about it a second, okay?

i thought about it and im an excellent poster

thanks for confirming

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kafziel posted:

Yeah this is where I turned it the gently caress off. D-, Would Not Play Again.

...so basically Warc's unreleased pre-alpha blows the doors off Valiance's released-to-the-public pre-alpha. I'm good with that.

P.S. Does anyone else remember the days when 'pre-alpha' actually meant something?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gynovore posted:

...so basically Warc's unreleased pre-alpha blows the doors off Valiance's released-to-the-public pre-alpha. I'm good with that.

P.S. Does anyone else remember the days when 'pre-alpha' actually meant something?

I still have my CoH and Diablo 2 beta CDs, from back when betas where actual betas and not free hype-slash-stress tests.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

kafziel posted:

Valiance Online

My favorite is that the hotbar is a tiny, squished-down render of the current viewport. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing a bright-red sky, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

Did 'pre-alpha' ever mean anything to begin with?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Did 'pre-alpha' ever mean anything to begin with?

Way Back In the Day:
Pre-Alpha: not ready for testing
Alpha: internal testing
Beta: external testing

Nowadays:
Pre-Alpha: Hey look everyone we have a thing!
Alpha: Our thing is up! Everyone come play it and tell us what the bugs are what you think!
Beta: Our thing is up for greenlight on Steam! Yeah there's still a few bugs, a 'final' patch will be out in a month or two, once our coders finish their crack bender..

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

This is loving amazing. I want this framed on my goddamn wall.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Alpha: Feature Complete. Mostly. Possibly not all functional.

Beta: Suitable for play, still bughunting.

Release: Suitable for play by your average person who can't talk to the devs.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What's this? Bios?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I pray that none of my characters have ever earned any of your derision.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, people have gotten annoyed about my characters too. But Y2King is a classic.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I pray that none of my characters have ever earned any of your derision.

if you are WIZARD LORD then you have only earned my love

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sing Sang Song: Son of Hedkikr

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Render render render. Stupid thing was just fine until we uploaded it, and then the sounds desynched. Got to strip the natural sound out and put in the same noises and music again but on a script.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Warcabbit posted:

Render render render. Stupid thing was just fine until we uploaded it, and then the sounds desynched. Got to strip the natural sound out and put in the same noises and music again but on a script.

Same.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I had pasta salad today

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i was collecting presents in PI earlier, i got a snow beast

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

i was collecting presents in PI earlier, i got a snow beast
the ol' beagle can still solo AV lady winter
feels good man

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/posts/1456146

Have a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dLm9JcogQ

And some pictures.

Our sliders work. That's what's taken so long.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

stop doxxing me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
for real tho that video actually looks really good for the state I thought it'd be in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Once again, for a pre-alpha this is loving incredible. Great graphics, good animations, meaty sound effects. Music is generic but still enjoyable. I just hope the screen shake can be toggled off, it looks like it would get annoying after 5 minutes.

I know it's way, way too early to talk about balance issues, but the hero was getting knocked down a lot. Hopefully a front line fighter like a "boxer" will have decent KB protection at release.

Great stuff overall!

• Locked thread