Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

British game maker makes sci-fi miniatures game. Uses city plans from majority of US cities.
Didn't realise this was a British system, but drat. I really am not a fan of the US grid system.

IrvingWashington posted:

Chicago has a really awesome grid system. A guy from the company I'm freelancing for explained it to me when I went over there.

It's not just in the US, either.

The most samey-looking city I've ever seen is Barcelona, which looks kind of like a motherboard, and the creepiest I've experienced is Milton Keynes in the UK, but that's because the roads connecting each roundabout in the grid have embankments on either side so all you see are the same grassy hills and then another circle to drive around. It's absolutely nightmarish, and that's not even considering the locals.
The ironic thing about Milton Keynes was that it was designed to be a pleasing place to live in, the only place more depressing than MK is bloody Grantham (ed, or Bristol). Sorry, enri, but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
So I just ordered the rule book because the setting looks interesting as well as a small dropship and 2 siege walkers from the PHR. Even if I don't get into the game, the idea of actual deployable models is really nice.

Also that urban sprawl looks wonderful, too bad the other games I play are of a different scale.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Got my first bunch of models through, lovely with minimal flash and nice models to boot. The only thing i would recommend is giving them a rinse with soapy water, even though they have cleaned the release off them it doesn't seem to be the most thorough job; the deep detailed parts on my dropship don't hold paint as well as the flat surfaces.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Can we get pics of them? I'd like to see some scale shots of these guys.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Ignoring the awful paintjobs/picture here is a PHR Medium Neptune Dropship and a Janus Scout Walker next to your bog standard 40k Space Marine. I have literally just been throwing paint/washes on this thing to see how they stick.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Flipswitch posted:

the only place more depressing than MK is bloody Grantham (ed, or Bristol).

Hey, gently caress you buddy. Bristol's great.

My buddy's rulebook arrived today, pretty good since it was shipped yesterday! The presentation is super slick, everything is in colour, all the photography is beautiful, the text reads well. The only niggle is the index. I've not had a chance to really get to grips with reading the rules yet but at a first go my mate likes it so that's a look up.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Thanks! They're smaller than I thought. :D

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Can anyone who has a book write up a decent review of the game mechanics? or point me to somewhere else on the internet where someone already has?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Welp, time to downscale to 6mm for Epic...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Welp, time to downscale to 6mm for Epic...

Eh? Epic is 6mm.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Print at 60%? Yes please.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

S.J. posted:

Eh? Epic is 6mm.

That's why he's downscaling the 10mm buildings.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fix posted:

That's why he's downscaling the 10mm buildings.

Yeah I read that completely wrong and am way too tired right now.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
:stare:
That cover is absolutely amazing.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
Has anyone gotten their stuff from The War Store yet?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Kwosge posted:

Has anyone gotten their stuff from The War Store yet?

They sent me a note saying they had shipped my rulebook, but I haven't received it yet.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just read that review thing on the last page.

quote:

And his chosen resin mix is tough. ‘Watch this,’ Dave says as he picks up the hull of a Shaltari Gaia heavy gate from his desk and throws it against the wall. Both myself and Lee of The Chaps – who Dave allowed me to bring along – took a sharp intake of breath as we watched the model collide with the wall and bounce off clattering to the desk. I picked it up and checked it over. Not only was there not a scratch on it but the glued on aerofoils were still intact. So; impeccable detail, flawless casting, near indestructible. Yep, I’d say the models are worth the money.
I can imagine my reaction being a frozen moment in time. Any news on how the stuff plays? the Shaltari stuff looks better and better the more I look at it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:siren: Pro Click Zone :siren:

http://www.crossgamingclub.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2909

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Holy poo poo yes. This game seems rad as gently caress. Rules seem straightforward but lots of customization for lists is awesome to hear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Goddamn I need this game.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

That was a great writeup, thanks for sharing. I'm kind of glad I can't afford this yet because I don't have time to finish the stuff I'm working on, and there's only 3 months until Sedition Wars ships. The rules look pretty good from the description, and this is back on my wishlist, for scratching the Epic itch.

Can't wait to see a battle report.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So, anyone actually played this yet?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I was holding off buying the rules and was having a 'what project next?' dilemma. Ends up with me winning a signed copy of the rulebook thanks to The Shellcase - waiting on it arriving at the moment but I know at least one of our club regulars is interested and we're planning on a few trial runs using epic minis :)

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

enri posted:

I was holding off buying the rules and was having a 'what project next?' dilemma. Ends up with me winning a signed copy of the rulebook thanks to The Shellcase - waiting on it arriving at the moment but I know at least one of our club regulars is interested and we're planning on a few trial runs using epic minis :)

Report back! I was expecting more of a stir once this game was released but I've heard all but nothing. My FLGS got in a bunch of the rulebooks, they all vanished pretty quick but no one's mentioned any thoughts/games.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I've got the rulebook and I'm just waiting on my N-scale space mans to turn up through the post. There's been a lot of model supply shortage with this, which is probably why there hasn't been too much talk so far. I am hoping to organise some games with someone(s) soon though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There's a 99% chance my housemate is going to be moving out so he can go to Kent and work for Hawk. This is pretty cool.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Corrode posted:

There's a 99% chance my housemate is going to be moving out so he can go to Kent and work for Hawk. This is pretty cool.

Make that 100%.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Joe_Richter posted:

I've got the rulebook and I'm just waiting on my N-scale space mans to turn up through the post. There's been a lot of model supply shortage with this, which is probably why there hasn't been too much talk so far. I am hoping to organise some games with someone(s) soon though.

So break them rules down, any obvious similarities to other systems?

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Firstly, really good to hear about your hawk-bound friend, both from them getting a job and hawk being able to expand. As far as I can tell, it's basically been a one man show up to now so him hiring more peeps is a good sign.

The Rulebook itself is a very well put together affair, with nice glossy pages and lots of full colour pictures and diagrams. The rules themselves are simple in the best possible way and gameplay is based around each player activating a group of units (battlegroups in Dropzone lingo) alternately, leading to a lot more tactical play than the standard alternating turns of something like 40k. The 12 scenarios included are all heavily objective based rather than straight up slugfests, and a massive premium is placed on strategic flexibility with the eponymous dropships providing rapid redeployment for all units.

From a personal point of view, I mainly play Epic Armageddon now (one of games Workshop's accidental Actually Good Rulesets) and Dropzone bares a lot of resemblance to that. I've only had a couple trial games via Vassal so far, but it seems to play nice and fast. The alternate activation style and objective based gameplay are both familiar if anyone's played that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
So what's the deal with this game. Pre-release it was all hype and holler, now what is going on with it? Does anyone play it or even see it in their local stores?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's like five miniatures stores in my area (which all add up to one kind-of OK store) and of those there's only one guy who's still talking about it, and he was complaining about Hawk's customer service last time I saw him. (They sent him the wrong turrets, and then wanted him to take photos for some reason. He was pissed.) None of them carry DZC. I'm sure this caught on somewhere else?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
The rulebooks all got snatched up, but since then I've seen neither hide nor hair of it. No one even mentions it, except in a "hey, what happened to..." sense. I think it would have benefited from some sort of launch event, getting people in to the store to play it on release, but it looks like no one organised anything of the sort.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I genuinely don't mean this in the "I told you so" sense, but I had a feeling that this guy might not be up to the task, production-wise. A victim of his own success, it seems like.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, our FLGS had the rulebooks (and three small starters!) sitting on a shelf, so went ahead and picked up a copy since they're super cheap for a full-color rulebook. I've had a readthrough now and I dig the concept a lot. Feels very combined arms, focused on movement as promised. Also get the feeling that air power will be a big deal, as well as protecting yourself from it.

Anyway, if people have any specific questions about the system, ask away! I'm at work so I probably won't answer much until I get home this afternoon.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I know this thread is practically dead, but the guys behind this were at TempleCon last weekend pimping the game and selling discounted starter sets (basically the "large army deal" from the website plus a rulebook for $190). I wasn't there, but my buddies played and said it was great and picked me up a UCM starter box.

So has anyone actually played this? How is it? The miniatures are really nice looking, and the resin casting quality is fantastic.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but my FLGS is slowly accumulating random kits as they come. The rules look good and like you said, the quality is perfect. They don't have the crazy details that, say, Forgeworld stuff does, but they look excellent and I don't see chunks of flash or anything on them.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

The Gate posted:

They don't have the crazy details that, say, Forgeworld stuff does, but they look excellent and I don't see chunks of flash or anything on them.

I'd say they have better detail than Forgeworld, at least compared to their 6mm Epic and Aeronica Imperialis range. I've managed to get a couple games in, but no one round here seems to play, so I'm kinda screwed in that regard.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Joe_Richter posted:

I'd say they have better detail than Forgeworld, at least compared to their 6mm Epic and Aeronica Imperialis range. I've managed to get a couple games in, but no one round here seems to play, so I'm kinda screwed in that regard.

Yeah, that's probably fair. I just mean there's nothing crazy intricate like some of the chaos stuff that's come out for 40k/Fantasy. They're definitely better than anything in the same scale though.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
I got this game and 2 starter sets when it first came out and haven't really done anything with it yet. But now that I'm deployed I finally have started reading the rule book.

There is just something ironic about learning how to play war when you are also really doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Played this for the first time today in a 3-way game. 1000pts each, I was UCM vs 2 PHR forces. We had 15 buildings and did the scenario where each building holds a piece of intel. It was incredibly fun, even if my guys ran across FOUR booby-trapped buildings and took heavy losses. Athena fighters are broken as hell, one player's Athena took out 3 buildings that held opposing infantry during the game.

All in all, it's a solid game and I look forward to playing again.

• Locked thread