Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I don't know if you people have seen this or have the hawk wargames newsletter, but it looks like a wave of new models and rules applying to them are being released for each of the 4 factions. More specific information in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOkgeXgypU

Land carrier that deploys drone fighters? drat it UCM why do you have a crazy awesome unit now of all times? Also that Shaltari Dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm trying to find suitable Youtube videos that show how the game is played. Are there any rules excerpts or written tutorials on the Internet somewhere?

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
I haven't managed to get a game in yet, but even the models are fun to work with. The Bear APCs I picked up were a little wonky, but the Sabers and the Condor went together with zero extra work, and balance the "scifi" with "doesn't look stupid" really well.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
Here they are. I probable won't do any more work on them until I get back into the States. Maybe just prime them and that's it. My paint scheme is going to be a high gloss bright green.

All weapons were attached with two 1/8x 1/25 magnets.
All body parts and drop ship lings used 1/8x 1/16 magnets.

The full army. Right now I plan on running the Tritons as A2s but I bought the A1s and magnitized every part. Those guns were not fun to work with.

All my walkers. You may see the two Type II's in the back. The blister I ordered didn't come with any arms for my Hyperions. Replacement ones are on the way.

Another view of my walkers.

All my infantry stuffs. I didn't magnetize the infantry to the bases as a form of wound counter and I feel that I will regret that.

Time for some fun with magnets!

When you really really really need to get some guys into the fight fast.

A few random things magnetized together. I rather like the tracked command vehicle.

There is a joke here... somewhere...

Reminds me of something from Terminator.

Next month I hope to have my Shaltari done and maybe prime some of my PHR guys.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Good to see this thread get some attention. I picked up a UCM Mega Army at Hawk's first tournament in London. This was great fun - Hawk hired a London hotel...a central London hotel! Would sir like his complimentary champagne before or after this turn's to-hit rolls?

Even better, one of the players was an RAF officer!

I'm busily magnetising all my tanks. You have to be careful drilling holes in the thin dropship clamps, especially on the UCM Albatross. The detail on the castings is excellent.

Photos when I've done the whole batch, if anyone's interested. I plan to do them in an oxide desert Mars-ish paintscheme. All the UCM stuff I see is green, so I'll buck the trend and do dusty red and orange.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Holy crap, this is pretty awesome. I didn't know about this game until I saw this Cityscape model kit today. According to the pack, you open it up and pop it together in minutes. I'm going to check this game system out now, looks pretty suave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRqpYI_LTw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yea that city kit has gotten my local gaming buddy talking about it again (since the debacle of the really really nice terrain kits), I'm keen to play but the cost of entry is quite high so it's on the back burner with a number of other projects whilst I get my Malifaux crew and Hordes Trollbloods sorted out. I managed to win a copy of the rulebook back in September last year but got as far as reading a handful of pages before I got distracted.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What was the debacle of the nice terrain kits? This sorta fell off my radar.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
It was announced at GAMA. It's not that $1000 resin set, these are paper printouts. Also could be used for some other gaming systems I guess:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Fix posted:

The resin buildings used in the promo shots and rulebook photos were released by Hawk for public sale, at very high prices. There was a brief internet backlash against the company from fans who didn't work out you didn't have to buy them.

My UCM Mega Army has arrived and I wasted no time assembling and magnetising it for on-table dropship flights. It's easy - the resin used for the minis is impressive stuff. It's soft and easy to drill, but not remotely brittle. I've had several workbench Oops moments and not a single broken part. All in all, the models are excellent. High detail, little flash, and go together well (with the sole exception of the UCM APCs, where shrinkage makes matching the two halves up impossible without some kind of visible line).

The tanks and dropships are superb, as are the aircraft. The hardest bit was getting the little chainguns into the turrets on the scout buggies.

Hawk were demoing the terrain at their London tournament a few months ago. It's excellent stuff. The board itself benefits from being mounted on something heavy, but the buildings are surprisingly durable. You can easily miss that they're cardboard at all.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fix posted:

The resin buildings and their cost, ridiculously expensive for what you got.. yea the detail is incredible but the guy caught a lot of flack for the pricing. I mean he's using the same resin as he is for the miniatures themselves which is a touch overkill. The cheapest individual building is £35 and for a game that really needs the buildings, £35 is absolutely bananas.

Granted, some people are more than happy to make their own terrain but more people are inclined to just buy the terrain they need so it put a lot of people off.

Getting tingles to play this now. Goddamnit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
There were a few photos of Epic MDF buildings in the painting thread, you could trace the person responsible (they're just starting to make it) and make them do DC scale as well. Very good detail and few skulls/gothic grimdark, it's more Art-Deco.

Alternatively, get Burnin Designs to make some. I know they make Battletech buildings so they could reuse the templates.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I've been waiting for the cheaper version of their terrain for a while now. 10mm gaming is a new one for me, so the best I have to cover tables is old Epic scenery and Flames of war stuff at my club.

I got the pdfs of the terrain from the Hawk website - the resin stuff might be AMAZING (and amazingly expensive) but I don't think that their free print&build stuff gets enough praise. The new scenery is basically that, but printed for you in a pop up format.

I made this as a prototype whilst waiting for the new terrain release. I wanted to see what it was like before deciding if I should continue.

Now that I've seen it, I will probably carry on and make my own, perhaps with some of the resin roof scenery. Mostly I don't wanna waste the giant stack of prints I have.

If people at my club get serious about DZC though... this is what I want:

(The HotLZ forums are down at the moment, but you can find the guys work at: http://hot-lz.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1549)

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
How many folks have managed to get a game or more of this going now? What are your impressions of how it plays?

I was super hyped when this came out, but the price point was too high then - I don't have a FLGS, or anything even approaching one, so I'd need to pick up 2 armies to start with and rope my boy in. If the gameplay is generally a good time, then I'd definitely be down for shelling out for both, especially if I can pick things up without crazy shipping costs now.

e: Looks like the card scenery will have an MSRP of around $45: http://www.e-figures.com/store/product32162.html

Now I have to decide whether to pick up some old Epic sets or grab this (or both) 20 hours of overtime this week, I think it's gonna be both

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 25, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, for those of you interested, the experimental rules for the new models are up in the downloads section of the website now. Seem like solid rules all around, PHR gets some cheaper, more mobile suits, which should help them a lot from what I gather.

Also, apparently several people at my FLGS are going to be picking up some starters, so I might actually be able to play this drat game finally! Just need to actually settle on a faction and pick up a starter of my own.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I picked up the rulebook for this because it looks very interesting, though I don't expect to ever actually play it. I absolutely love the look of the PHR aircraft though. Ordered myself an Athena just to paint.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

enri posted:

The cheapest individual building is £35 and for a game that really needs the buildings, £35 is absolutely bananas.

The price was a point of contention, but everybody's forgetting the other problem with his resin terrain:

The £35 Residential Building 3 posted:

This kit contains a total of 95 finely detailed resin parts.

A building 118mm x 84mm x 99mm and has 95 tiny resin parts. Imagine trying to put together a city of those fuckers.

So yes, I'm glad to see he's branched into card terrain. Aren't these basically the print-and-builds pre-printed on thick card?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

The price was a point of contention, but everybody's forgetting the other problem with his resin terrain:

A building 118mm x 84mm x 99mm and has 95 tiny resin parts. Imagine trying to put together a city of those fuckers.

So yes, I'm glad to see he's branched into card terrain. Aren't these basically the print-and-builds pre-printed on thick card?

Yeah, that's what they are - but also pre-glued in part, so you can tuck the roof of each building in for a game, and then flat-pack them again after playing. It's a neat idea. The 1x1 ground tiles also have the basketball court from the cover (I think, from the photo here) :3: Beasts of War had a nice first-look at the set which showed how easy the things are to put together. I'd love to make my own scenery, but these look great, and they are also at a great price, especially for the convenience. I managed to find them for just over $30 on pre-order, and I'd spend at least that much in ink if I was going to print them.

On the same BoW show they mentioned the possibility of purchasing resin pieces of buildings - as the card versions are to scale with the resin - so you could add a facade to part of a building, and other features like the aircon boxes.

I got paid by someone from an invoice I had more or less written off, so I picked up UCM, PHR and Scourge starters + command units, the rulebook and the scenery pack. Normally I'd be nervous about going all-in like this but I guess there has been enough time now that some people are posting decent playthroughs on YouTube which have convinced me that this is a game I really want to play. One in particular was really horribly filmed, awkwardly narrated, and still made the game look awesome, which is no mean feat. I was considering getting 2 starters with the foam cases, but figured that at around 20% off it was a better idea to get another army for playstyle variety. I didn't pick up the Shaltari because I think the teleportation mechanic would get in the way while I'm getting the core gameplay down (and will then hopefully later add an extra dynamic).

As far as I can tell, the starter armies are close enough in points to allow for some decent introductory games, which I appreciate. It didn't look like the smallest sets were going to be that useful until I saw a starter game in action, but that seems like an ideal size, really. Seeing the gameplay changed my feelings on which forces I preferred - pre-release I was all about PHR, but after watching some batreps they were my 3rd choice and I only picked them up after deciding to ditch the cases.

Now I'm all excited and have to force myself to get work done instead of refreshing my order page to see if the status altered in the last 20 seconds.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Don't know if you guys have seen this, but The Warstore has preorders for the Cityscape Card Scenery Set going on right now. $35 gets you 20 buildings and 24 city tiles - enough for a 6x6 table. If this looks good with Epic, I'm going to be picking up a set or two...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

IrvingWashington posted:

Yeah, that's what they are - but also pre-glued in part, so you can tuck the roof of each building in for a game, and then flat-pack them again after playing. It's a neat idea. The 1x1 ground tiles also have the basketball court from the cover (I think, from the photo here) :3: Beasts of War had a nice first-look at the set which showed how easy the things are to put together. I'd love to make my own scenery, but these look great, and they are also at a great price, especially for the convenience. I managed to find them for just over $30 on pre-order, and I'd spend at least that much in ink if I was going to print them.

On the same BoW show they mentioned the possibility of purchasing resin pieces of buildings - as the card versions are to scale with the resin - so you could add a facade to part of a building, and other features like the aircon boxes.

I got paid by someone from an invoice I had more or less written off, so I picked up UCM, PHR and Scourge starters + command units, the rulebook and the scenery pack. Normally I'd be nervous about going all-in like this but I guess there has been enough time now that some people are posting decent playthroughs on YouTube which have convinced me that this is a game I really want to play. One in particular was really horribly filmed, awkwardly narrated, and still made the game look awesome, which is no mean feat. I was considering getting 2 starters with the foam cases, but figured that at around 20% off it was a better idea to get another army for playstyle variety. I didn't pick up the Shaltari because I think the teleportation mechanic would get in the way while I'm getting the core gameplay down (and will then hopefully later add an extra dynamic).

As far as I can tell, the starter armies are close enough in points to allow for some decent introductory games, which I appreciate. It didn't look like the smallest sets were going to be that useful until I saw a starter game in action, but that seems like an ideal size, really. Seeing the gameplay changed my feelings on which forces I preferred - pre-release I was all about PHR, but after watching some batreps they were my 3rd choice and I only picked them up after deciding to ditch the cases.

Now I'm all excited and have to force myself to get work done instead of refreshing my order page to see if the status altered in the last 20 seconds.

What made you change factions? I've been thinking about getting into this game sooner or later and the PHR have some amazing models.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

BULBASAUR posted:

What made you change factions? I've been thinking about getting into this game sooner or later and the PHR have some amazing models.

They seem to play relatively slowly, so matching them against the Scourge with the starter armies looked to me like it could get old quickly. I see they are adding some faster units now, but from the initial matchups I've seen Scourge vs UCM looked more interesting. UCM vs PHR looks like fun too, and 3-way fights will be great. I didn't want to get stuck with a lumbering bear of an army because I was really worried that vs PHR would turn into double movement to objectives, in-and-out and off the board before the PHR have gotten into position.

The models are beautiful, though. In the end it didn't take much for me to forgo the cases for the PHR starter.

Most of my stuff should be arriving later today... I'm pretty excited to finally be getting my hands on this game after following it for so many months, waiting for the site to go live.

Lastly - minor crosspost from the miniature painting and modeling thread: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrimalAce has some nice PHR videos up relating to assembly, magnetization, and a simple pre-shading technique for painting.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The annoying thing is that I love the PHR aircraft, but don't like the walkers at all. Would have loved to see outright tanks with PHR aesthetics, but they don't have them. There isn't a single faction that I like entirely, in fact. There's always some integral part of the force that just doesn't look good to me (aircraft for the Scourge, tanks for the UCM, the walkers for the PHR, and the gates and wonky striders for the Shaltari).

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
The rulebook is beautiful, and totally worth the money.

I'm glad I had gone off the PHR a bit. I got my starter armies today, plus a PHR Neptune, 2x PHR Zeus, and a Kodiak. (The Scourge command unit and the UCM dropship for the Kodiak are back-ordered, and will show up with my scenery).

Most of the pieces are totally magnificent, but 5 out of 6 of the walkers had what looked like dents in the supposed-to-be-smooth front bulges of their torsos. One of the PHR Juno A1's guns was almost moldy-looking, and the back of one of the Neptune's dropships had the same moldy looking mush instead of detail. I've emailed Hawk to see what they can do.

I had a tough time getting all the APCs to match up (aside from the Scourge, which are almost completely one piece), but a dip in very hot water (and some switching of pieces between the Kodiak and the starter box's Bears) did the trick there. The seams look more visible at the moment because the Kodiak was a different color resin to the starter set, but I think with a decent primer they'll do fine.

I've just got the 2 Bears and the Kodiak assembled so far. These are pretty minis.

The infantry scare the poo poo out of me though. PTSD from trying to paint Epic Eldar many years ago, I bet.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Guess what arrived today?

The tiles are perfect, IMO - not too thin, not pasted on thicker card so there will be separation.

The buildings aren't as good as they could have been - there's definitely some separation between the glossy layer and the card underneath, and you'll have to trim the roof tabs if you want to make them the way they are scored.

Incidentally, the instructions on the box say to fold the roof tabs down, rather than up, even though the pictures and score lines both indicate you should fold the tabs up.

Comparing with card buildings I've made myself, I almost prefer the ones I've built, but that's mostly because the cornices are flatter because they've been glued down rather than just folded. If I glued these they'd be better, for sure.

Homemade building on the left:

The main benefit for me, though, is being able to assemble a bunch of buildings pretty quickly, get some tiles and scenery set up for a game, and get it all flat-packed after. For $35 I'm super pleased.

Imgur album link:
http://imgur.com/a/fmrgg

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I saw them this week at Adepticon, and this is a pretty cool set. The price alone is great - $35 gets you a lot of table coverage. My only complaint is that the buildings are out of scale for Epic, and therefore useless for my purposes.

That being said, if you're looking for 10mm scenery, this is a really good deal.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
So I see that it says it is a 6' x 4' battlefield, but are there enough buildings in the kit to actually make a city battlefield? I'm waiting on my army and book to arrive, so I'm not sure how cluttered you want the table to be, but in the videos I have watched online it always seems like they are fighting through an urban environment rather than a more open / ruined area.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
There are 20 buildings in the set - it's everything you see on the box cover. While 6x4 might leave things relatively spaced out, I think you have enough for most 4x4 games to pack things in relatively tightly. If you need a few more and don't want to spend an extra $35, the pdf buildings compare pretty well to the ones in the set.

Going by how the scenarios are described, I think there are enough buildings to play any of them - most if not all use a 4x4 minimum area, iirc.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hawk's display at Salute this year had a preview of a beautiful art deco monorail pack, with pylons for overhead track and a 30s-streamliner-in-spaaaaaace train. I picked up the new UCM drone base and am now waiting for the train to come out before buying a cityscape.

You do want a pretty terrain-heavy board in DzC. Weapons can have infinite or LOS range, and are quite lethal. An open-field tank battle would be short and very bloody.

I also got a Scourge Desolator with the firm intention of painting it up as a Mass Effect Reaper. Isn't much of a conversion job, and it'll scare the poo poo out of Full Thrust players...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

IrvingWashington posted:

There are 20 buildings in the set - it's everything you see on the box cover. While 6x4 might leave things relatively spaced out, I think you have enough for most 4x4 games to pack things in relatively tightly. If you need a few more and don't want to spend an extra $35, the pdf buildings compare pretty well to the ones in the set.

Going by how the scenarios are described, I think there are enough buildings to play any of them - most if not all use a 4x4 minimum area, iirc.

Yeah, I think the pack is actually intended for a 4x4 area, but it includes enough street tiles for a 6x4 table for variety.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

Hawk's display at Salute this year had a preview of a beautiful art deco monorail pack, with pylons for overhead track and a 30s-streamliner-in-spaaaaaace train. I picked up the new UCM drone base and am now waiting for the train to come out before buying a cityscape.

You do want a pretty terrain-heavy board in DzC. Weapons can have infinite or LOS range, and are quite lethal. An open-field tank battle would be short and very bloody.

I also got a Scourge Desolator with the firm intention of painting it up as a Mass Effect Reaper. Isn't much of a conversion job, and it'll scare the poo poo out of Full Thrust players...

My desolator arrived with the scenery. It's intimidating (and pretty).

e: Wait - was this monorail pack resin or card?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
That sounds good, and honestly at that price picking up two sets isn't exactly breaking the bank.

So my Shaltari have arrived, and I am planning on getting an intro game from a friend who has played for a couple of weeks this weekend. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind, commonly missed or overlooked rules?

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Loxbourne posted:

I believe that only applies to units without any Counter measures. Almost every vehicle in the game has counter measures of some form with reduces the range greatly.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
^^^ Yup, and all factions have some way of disabling or ignoring countermeasures up their sleeves. The UCM tank destroyer and PHR laser mech are hideous murdercannons without buildings to hide behind.

The train is resin, with plastic strip as the rail and resin elevated track supports.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Crossposting my WIP Scourge from the Oath Thread:

2 x Invader APCs and 3 x Reaper Anti-Aircraft Grav Tanks. These are awesome to paint so far, hopefully it'll stay that way :3:

Editing to include May Oath Thread pictures:

I've wanted to do this since I saw the cover of the rulebook:

Desolator:

Warriors:

APC:

Anti-Air Grav Tank:

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 31, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
After my mate bought the PHR starter set and the terrain box set, it felt rude not to join him, and I have a Shaltari Starter set plus a Jaguar and a Coyote on the way. Looking forward to painting them up, another excuse to get my airbrush out!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Kicking myself because I was going to oath these and in my excitement to get some paint on them, I forgot.

Heres a WIP shot of my Shaltari anyway. The Tomahawks, Havens and Kukris are finished bar varnishing and glossing the canopies, the rest are in various states of painting.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Nice stuff. Mind taking us through how you painted them?

I still haven't gotten around to buying the paint for my UCM. I want to do them in oxide/Martian desert camo, instead of the usual generoGreen.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Airbrushed Vallejo Hawk Turquoise as the base coat. Washed liberally with GW Nuln Oil. Dry brushed lighter shades of the turquoise. The guns and panels were painted Vallejo Foul Green then washed with GW green wash. Then dry brushed with lighter shades of the Foul Green. I'm still not sure about black canopies- I think white or just off white/ blue might make the models pop more.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just reminded me, a late cross posting from the oath thread! :v:

These guys would have continued to sit unpainted for an eternity if it wasn't for the oath thread:

I haven't bothered buying anything as of yet, I bought these back in August last year because they looked pretty neat to paint up. I will one day try and bother to buy more UCM stuff and try to build a small DZC army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

4 stands of Shaltari Braves finished.

Gone for a very simple technique to speed up painting times.

• Locked thread