Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I still miss TRIARII! Someone should make a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone else trying out Europa Barbarorum 2?

So far enjoying it. Still a little early and not quite finished, but impressive nonetheless. I'm having a lot more fun with it than I ever did Rome 2.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

dMastri posted:

So far enjoying it. Still a little early and not quite finished, but impressive nonetheless. I'm having a lot more fun with it than I ever did Rome 2.

It's finally been released? Have they added any new factions?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well not sure what you mean by "new"... I didn't follow it's development, though I did play the hell of out EB 1 ages ago. From the FAQ:

quote:

Q: What are the new factions that will be in EB2?
A: The list of factions is not closed yet, but EB2 will have the following factions in the 1st release:
(from EB1)
- Rome
- Carthage
- Makedonia
- Epeiros
- Koinon Hellenon
- Seleukid Empire
- Ptolemaioi
- Baktria
- Hayasdan
- Pontos
- Parthia
- Aedui
- Arverni
- Pritanoi (replaces the Casse)
- Lusotannan
- Sweboz
- Getai
- Saba
- Saka Rauka
- Sauromatae
(new in EB2)
- Numidia
- Pergamon
- Taksashila
- Lugia
- Bosporan Kingdom
- Arevaci
- Boii
- Nabatean Empire

Yes it released: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?454-Europa-Barbarorum-II

I'd call it beta and there's definitely some bugs but so far I'm really enjoying it. The map especially feels really well done - the sense of scale and distance is great. I've been playing the Saudi faction (saba?) and it's really quite isolated. If you are looking for your Total War fix I highly recommend it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Awesome news. Those look like some interesting additions but I'm not quite sure who the Lugia are.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Probably a typo for Lugii

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So how hard is it to go back to Medieval 2 after all of the quality of life improvements the series has gone through? Is the UI at least not as crap as it was in M2? I know things like reinforcements are hardcoded into the engine more or less, so I don't expect that to change but the old UI didn't give me enough vital information on the units or the building trees.

Flython posted:

Awesome news. Those look like some interesting additions but I'm not quite sure who the Lugia are.

:downs:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
For me Medieval 2 is still the high-water mark of the series. I'd take its UI over Empire or Rome2 (but not Shogun2). Specifically the minimal UI for MW2 is pretty good. And don't forget to hold SHIFT when adjusting gamespeed to get smaller increments, and to be able to put it in slo-mo.

If you haven't gone back in awhile, the EU2 mod I linked previously is great but still fresh and beta. The other big ones are Stainless Steel (my personal favorite) and Broken Crescent.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

dMastri posted:

For me Medieval 2 is still the high-water mark of the series. I'd take its UI over Empire or Rome2 (but not Shogun2). Specifically the minimal UI for MW2 is pretty good. And don't forget to hold SHIFT when adjusting gamespeed to get smaller increments, and to be able to put it in slo-mo.

If you haven't gone back in awhile, the EU2 mod I linked previously is great but still fresh and beta. The other big ones are Stainless Steel (my personal favorite) and Broken Crescent.

There's also the pretty huge Lord of the Rings mod. I also loved Broken Crescent and enjoyed the little I played of Stainless Steel.

There was a little known mod that I can't even remember the name of that was flawed but fun. It really fleshed out central and eastern Europe but it had some real issues with balance. Heavy cavalry were somehow even more horrifically powerful than vanilla. I think I'm gonna have to trawl through twcentre to find it now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dMastri posted:

From what i've played and from what i've heard, it's got the typical problem of fights taking far to long to resolve, which is keeping me from enjoying it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Flython posted:

There's also the pretty huge Lord of the Rings mod. I also loved Broken Crescent and enjoyed the little I played of Stainless Steel.

There was a little known mod that I can't even remember the name of that was flawed but fun. It really fleshed out central and eastern Europe but it had some real issues with balance. Heavy cavalry were somehow even more horrifically powerful than vanilla. I think I'm gonna have to trawl through twcentre to find it now.

Sounds like the Lithuania mod though it could be the Magyar mod.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

From what i've played and from what i've heard, it's got the typical problem of fights taking far to long to resolve, which is keeping me from enjoying it.

Yeah 1.0 combat was painfully slow. There was a submod floating around that sped it up and they rolled that into the 2.0 release, along with instructions to tweak XML yourself if you wanted to speed it up more.

I'm still on the fence about combat speed now. I think I like it, but I also find I spend a lot of time in fast forward. Interested to see how they iterate it in future releases. Still though, I'd take this over the 2 min mosh pit battles that Rome2 released with.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flython posted:

There's also the pretty huge Lord of the Rings mod.

Yeah there is, forgot all about that. Third Age I think? I tried getting into it a few times as the dwarves, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to be doing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dMastri posted:

Yeah there is, forgot all about that. Third Age I think? I tried getting into it a few times as the dwarves, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to be doing.

Building ballistae and bashing goblins all the way back to Moria.

Third age is great if you like middle-earth backstory, rebuilding the dwarf kingdoms and uniting the blue mountains and the iron hills is pretty cool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Building ballistae and bashing goblins all the way back to Moria.

Third age is great if you like middle-earth backstory, rebuilding the dwarf kingdoms and uniting the blue mountains and the iron hills is pretty cool.

It's a shame that I really hate it when my territories are split. Some of TATW's sub-mods do separate the Ered Luin Dwarves and the Iron Hills/Erebor Dwarves into their own factions, though.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 20, 2014

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I maintain that the best Tolkien Mod was Fourth Age: TW for Rome 1. It was based off of early drafts of Tolkien's sequel idea for LotR. It was the geekiest thing ever.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Fourth Age are hopefully going to release the final version of the mod this year. They've been previewing what all the factions will be like recently: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?655345-DoM-Faction-Previews

The unofficial preview thread is keeping track of developments: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?663195-Unofficial-Mod-Overview-For-the-upcoming-Dominion-of-Men-release-(upd-Sep-15)

The gameplay preview thread is especially worth a look.If they pull off what they're aiming to do it will be pretty special.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a shame that I really hate it when my territories are split. Some of TATW's sub-mods do separate the Ered Luin Dwarves and the Iron Hills/Erebor Dwarves into their own factions, though.

That annoys the hell out of me too but I solved it by basically turning Ered Luin into my money bin and turning Erebor/Iron Hills into the military center. You can basically ignore Ered Luin if you do that.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Fourth Age are hopefully going to release the final version of the mod this year. They've been previewing what all the factions will be like recently: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?655345-DoM-Faction-Previews

The unofficial preview thread is keeping track of developments: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?663195-Unofficial-Mod-Overview-For-the-upcoming-Dominion-of-Men-release-(upd-Sep-15)

The gameplay preview thread is especially worth a look.If they pull off what they're aiming to do it will be pretty special.

Its alive?! Wow, I thought it just quietly faded into the ether way back when. That's so cool, though, I liked a lot of the things they were trying in their early versions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

That annoys the hell out of me too but I solved it by basically turning Ered Luin into my money bin and turning Erebor/Iron Hills into the military center. You can basically ignore Ered Luin if you do that.

I kinda wanted to try something like that, but the corruption penalty is such a pain in the rear end that I usually end up just console-cheating my way into a focused start.

Rebasing into Ered Luin is sort of neat because it feels like a "fresh" start, with plenty of rebels due east and an eventual confrontation with Orcs once you hit the Misty Mountains. You also get to build up a relationship with the High Elves and the Free Peoples of Eriador.

Unfortunately, Ered Luin is insanely under-developed, and coupled with the TATW team's insistence on slow-rear end strategic development, you'll be spending a lot of time just waiting for money, culture, or population growth.

Keeping to Erebor entirely is something I haven't tried yet, but now that you brought it up, I might try one day. Erebor makes mad bank and is well-developed, while your castle in the Iron Hills starts off with both Dwarven Warriors and Ballistae. Unfortunately, Rhun's cavalry focus is tough on Dwarven armies, and you'll probably have to turtle until you can get enough Crossbowmen or siege weapons to even venture out into the plains.

You could expand west, but you'll be racing both Dale and the Wood Elves to grab those territories. Still, you'll be right in the action, even if it's going to be a tough fight against the not-Mongols.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The bowels of TWC's hosted mod forum throw up some interesting stuff. There appears be a released Chinese Three Kingdoms mod available for Medieval 2 which even includes custom settlements:

Mod thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?613339-HAN-ZHI-SHANG-v1-03-Released!

As you might've guessed from the screenshots though it is Chinese. Older versions of the mod appear to have been translated (the thread author doesn't seem to put new releases in the OP so it is hard to tell) but apparently a new version of the mod will be translated soon:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?613339-HAN-ZHI-SHANG-v1-03-Released!&p=14098037&viewfull=1#post14098037

quote:

(16/09/2014)
大家好!
As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of improvements going on HanZhiShang, unfortunately, it is all made in Chinese language

However, it appears that the SM version is now the latest official release, I have been asking for authorization, and I will try to transfer the translation to this new official update asap, so English speakers will be able to enjoy also

Stay tuned !!

I'll try and keep an eye on it and let people know if any translation emerges.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That is looking pretty interesting and awesome. Kind of sad still there is like only one or two TC mods for RTW2 out at the moment the rest being everyones different flavour of realism or gameplay using the same setting.

Oh and speaking of TWC, gently caress the guy who put that Eagle on the home page. I don't want it there and making it slightly transparent when scrolling over the videos does nothing. Way to somehow make that website event worse.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The biggest problem is that CA hasn't released mod tools for the strategy map, meaning you have to work with the existing map.

That hasn't stopped someone from developing a very interesting mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2KIkoonzE

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Happy birthday to Rome 1, which is ten years old today. Gosh, it's been a long journey.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mans posted:

The biggest problem is that CA hasn't released mod tools for the strategy map, meaning you have to work with the existing map.

That hasn't stopped someone from developing a very interesting mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2KIkoonzE

And here I was, about to ask if anyone was working on a modern Medieval mod. :allears:

Also, I'm reinstalling the game. Just how many factions do the "mini campaign" DLCs add to the normal campaign? Are they worth it? I think I got the Greek states and the Nomads one.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gaul campaign gives you the Boii and the Nervii. The Nervii are cool but neither faction are that much different than the Arvenni other than different starting locations.

The Hannibal campaign gives you Syracuse, the Lusitanians and the Arevaci, all of which kick rear end and are in challenging locations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/2hcwp2/pictures_of_the_total_war_reveal_booth_more_in/

It could be anything!

(okay not China)

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Combined with this it seems pretty safe to say it's Attila from a new Barbarian Invasion expansion/standalone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice! I loved the Late Antiquity/Early Medieval setting of Barbarian Invasion. I need to get my Frankish Empire kick.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Figured they were gonna do the expansion as standalone thing again - it worked with FOTS and Napoleon. I'm simultaneously psyched, cuz late antiquity is probably my favorite period of European history, and a bit disappointed they're not gonna try anything more daring.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I would also assume CA isn't fully happy with how Rome 2 came out so I'm sure they could probably port whatever they're working on over back to Rome 2 rather than moving forward with another setting and improving on stuff there, like a Medieval 3. That is, if Barb Invasion 2 is what they are actually working on.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I could see a late Empire/early Medieval expansion along the lines of FOTS. That could work.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS i loved the original barbarian invasion so much. Imagine that now all those grey rebel provinces are one minor barbarian tribes who can also pack up and leave and flee torwards the empire.

:getin:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Yeah, it's most likely Atilla.

Check out this pic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Not to sound like a Warscape engine apologist (it has plenty of issues) but someone needs to actually explain this unit collision grief everyone has. I've googled for it but I never found any concrete examples of what people are describing. Or is it some catch-all for "I hate everything?"

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Sober posted:

Not to sound like a Warscape engine apologist (it has plenty of issues) but someone needs to actually explain this unit collision grief everyone has. I've googled for it but I never found any concrete examples of what people are describing. Or is it some catch-all for "I hate everything?"

You never noticed the very obvious clipping and sliding the tiny men experience when colliding with the other tiny men?

It was a much bigger issue earlier in R2s patch cycle where men would seriously iceskate moonwalk on the dirt 40 feet away from where they were. Much less so now, but it still exists in small amounts.

I upgraded my pc lately and it's much more noticeable now with a higher framerate. I almost never really noticed it when the game was running twice as slow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The clipping never seemed super terrible and awkward like one unit clipping right over another; just like maybe the tip of a shield or something. The sliding is barely noticeable and I almost never notice it. I mean, is the clipping that bad when thousands of actors are on screen that it is that big of an issue? I mean if clipping were that bad wouldn't pulling through your own units be much easier and effective and all that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warscape makes troops powerslide across the ground like it's The Elder Scrolls 3rd Person.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So the fact that it was almost impossible for anyone to explain what '1v1 combat' actually meant either means it's not really a huge issue anymore or it never really was that big of a deal or that the problem has been alleviated for the most part (obviously not fixed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Sober posted:

So the fact that it was almost impossible for anyone to explain what '1v1 combat' actually meant either means it's not really a huge issue anymore or it never really was that big of a deal or that the problem has been alleviated for the most part (obviously not fixed).

It wasn't that bad in Shogun 2 and is a ton better in Rome 2 as of now, but there's no getting around how absolutely horrible it felt/looked for at least 6 months, if not more, after Rome 2 was out--it was a big deal, both in terms of appearances and actual gameplay when trying to judge units, move units or charge through formations.

While it's true warscape doesn't have collision detection on its units and thus will never be as interesting to watch zoomed in as the older games, I don't think most people really care too much about the specifics of it as long as the game at least tries to fake having the detection. This results in the sliding around and awkward movements every now and again, to hold the sorts of formations that avoid the collisions, but is infinitely better than the mosh-pit alternative Rome 2 presented at launch.

A good comparison between how to handle warscape's lack of detection well and how to handle it terribly would be Shogun 2 units walking across a bridge versus launch and for way too long afterward Rome 2 units walking across a bridge (I think they've fixed this by now? It feels like they would have, given everything else feeling fine but I haven't done bridge crossings recently). In Shogun 2, they'd automatically change their rank and file to get across in an orderly fashion whereas in Rome 2 they'd just sort of mosh up and collide together into one big blob. This had obvious gameplay problems beyond that, in terms of trying to get your units to attack or charge through such blobs where you couldn't entirely be sure how thick the rank or file actually would be.

edit: on tops of walls was another huge area of concern and I think still kind of is, so dunno if they actually have fixed up bridge crossings