Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Belatedly speaking of Shogun 2/Fall multiplayer, is the avatar campaign still being played and not filled with max level nerds? I never did actually go through the Fall side, even if I maxed out vanilla. (Matchlock monk armies were great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

shalcar posted:

It's the same ui, but they changed the colours, which helps from an aesthetic point of view but it still has all the same functionality issues it originally had.

The colours are worse now. Faction colours are too similar and bland. White/yellow buttons. It's pretty drat ugly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Is it just me or are the cavalry charges in Rome 2 really poo poo compared to the Shogun 2 ones?

Emperor edition made combats last longer, which really hurts the effects of charges since cavalry usually has to fight now.

Pre-emperor you could quickly rout pretty much anything short of heavy infantry by hitting it from a couple of different directions at once. The free unit of Companion Cavalry Macedon get at the start of the campaign were horrifyingly effective.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So is there some hidden rule where I can't register for TWC with a free email or something? I can't believe I just had to use my uni email just so I could download a simple attachment file from them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
...No? :confused: Out of curiosity I just tried creating a completely bogus account and entered a fake gmail and it took the registration just fine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

...No? :confused: Out of curiosity I just tried creating a completely bogus account and entered a fake gmail and it took the registration just fine.
:wtc: I tried my various other emails before (hotmails, gmails) and today and it shot me back with "you a goddamn spammer, go away"

uni email and it dont give a gently caress

fuckin TWC

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I am also automatically "banned" from TWC forums with my gmail account even though I've never had any account or posted there before, figured it was some technical issue but didn't care enough to register with a different address.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All you guys talking about cavalry charges and forgetting that Medieval 2's charges were a true spectacle. You had to line them up juuust right, and then you watch three rows of guys get killed on the initial impact.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
If you want to go that far back, I distinctly remember seeing a unit of heavy knights run straight through an entire unit of archers in Medieval 1, not stopping and leaving a bulldozer-track of corpse sprites behind them. That was fun.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Yea, in M2 a guy was either not in the way of a charge at all or he was loving dead (unless he was one of the rare units with 2 hp). In R2 it's just awful. A charge into a bloodied unit still does good damage but even a bunch of skirmishers at full "health" can stop cavalry.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If you want to killdoze anything but cataphracts or braced phalanxes in Rome 2 use scythed chariots before they are nerfed next patch. Anything less than 500 kills in a quick battle and you're intentionally suiciding or something. They play like unstoppable manmowers.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
I used to use an army of all heavy cavalry in the original Rome as a fire brigade. Good map movement and once you were in combat just aim for the center of the line. Punch through and kill the general. Battle over.

It was awesome

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hunterhr posted:

I used to use an army of all heavy cavalry in the original Rome as a fire brigade. Good map movement and once you were in combat just aim for the center of the line. Punch through and kill the general. Battle over.

It was awesome

Funny thing is this was an actual tactic used by Rome in the 3rd & 4th centuries. Instead of maintaining a huge number of slow infantry legions, you have a few infantry legions and rapid response cavalry forces. If some Gothic tribe started poo poo, you could rock the cavalry up quickly and contain the situation until the legions arrived. Hell, half the time they didn't even have to fight: invaders would only be getting ideas because the frontier seemed poorly defended, but once they saw a huge cavalry force sitting on the other side of the river they'd gently caress right off.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rome really abused the real life game mechanics after they destroyed all phalanx-producing buildings, yeah.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I have an issue with darthmod for empire total war. My artillery seems to be stuck and not moving, firing or mounting. Any fixes for that? It kinda sucks since I am big fan of artillery.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Kneel-Fire really helped, but now that I've hit realm divide that legendary satsuma campaign's become a real slog.

If I had to guess, I made three great mistakes:
1) I should have sent a gunboat all along the coast of the mainland early on for allies and soft-target spotting
2) I should have landed on a mainland soft target instead of taking some of the shittier island provinces pre-realm divide and trying to push up through the land bridge
3) 3k income per turn with two stacks and two fleets up is not enough to go into legendary realm divide with, apparently, when the AI can just poo poo all over it in seconds with bombardments. And rebuilds its own stacks in a turn, so I probably wanted three good stacks.

Staying on kyushu without the biggest and baddest of fleets was incredibly stupid in a game that has naval bombardments and an AI that loves to make 1-2 ship fleets between 7 enemies to raid all your trade and bomb all your money down the drain. From history I've apparently learned nothing and am now dying on the final stretch while playing the worst game of whack-a-mole.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Decus posted:

Kneel-Fire really helped, but now that I've hit realm divide that legendary satsuma campaign's become a real slog.

1) I should have sent a gunboat all along the coast of the mainland early on for allies and soft-target spotting
2) I should have landed on a mainland soft target instead of taking some of the shittier island provinces pre-realm divide and trying to push up through the land bridge
3) 3k income per turn with two stacks and two fleets up is not enough to go into legendary realm divide with, apparently, when the AI can just poo poo all over it in seconds with bombardments. And rebuilds its own stacks in a turn, so I probably wanted three good stacks.

Staying on kyushu without the biggest and baddest of fleets was incredibly stupid in a game that has naval bombardments and an AI that loves to make 1-2 ship fleets between 7 enemies to raid all your trade and bomb all your money down the drain. From history I've apparently learned nothing and am now dying on the final stretch while playing the worst game of whack-a-mole.

Naval is stupid important in Fall because the AI loves to bombard provinces, and if you can't consistently swat their naval stacks then you can end up getting overwhelmed. Generally what I do is build two "main" fleets that are full stacks of the meanest, biggest ships I have, one for the north sea and one for the south. These can be used to swat single stacks, but are mainly for the occasional invasion force or actual full on fleet the AI sends down. Then I have back fleets of maybe 3-4 Kaitens that exist as a rapid response force to swat baby stacks that slip past my main fleet. If you want to skip out on taking the baby islands around Kyuushu, you can also build half stacks and send them to attack the ports of those islands: their port will constantly be burning and they won't be able to build a fleet to wrest back control and get off their island. It's a bit of an exploit, but it's there.

Another thing you can do late game is create a blockade. The way that the AI seems to do it's ship deployments is that if it has a ship available, it will always try to get it to the closest bombardment target while avoiding any battles it can't win. So you get the constant stream of baby stacks circumventing your fleets. So what you do is something like this:

Every ship is in range of at least two other ships for reinforcement, and the ships extend the entire range from the land to the "edge" of the water on the map. So when the AI goes to calculate a safe path to bombardment, it can't find one and holds off until it has a fleet it feels can break through. So instead of incessant baby stacks, you just get the occasional half or full stack that you can sic your main fleet on. This is also cheesing it, but Fall is all about cheesing, so hey. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Also important is to always do your sea battles manually, never auto-resolve. You will always take a lot of dumb damage like losing cannons if you auto-resolve, or worse yet - fat ironclads don't have the "loliwin" modified in autoresolve like they do in a actual battle. It's a easy way to get quite a few heroic victories, actually.

That said, your fleet in the beginning is meant just for scouting, unless you can somehow bombard the guy you start at war with. Once you get a nice nest going build it up before continuing.

Post-divide, assuming you're not going independent, it's mostly about making vassals as opposed to continuously expanding.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Decus posted:

Make sure you have trade agreements with the Western powers before you hit RD and make sure you can at least fend off dumb pirating fleets from England/France (shouldn't be a huge deal if you are satsuma). Biggest mistake I made twice (in vanilla and fots) as Satsuma/Shimazu is make sure you grab Shikoku because lord that is a annoying front to deal with despite having a good simple lock on the mainland because it's just an extra front you can't really afford (unless in FOTS it turns around to be full pro-your faction).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I hate having to watch all the AI ships move around my island holdings, but if I don't allow AI movements to be shown I just KNOW I'm going to miss an invading fleet approaching. :argh:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Azran posted:

I hate having to watch all the AI ships move around my island holdings, but if I don't allow AI movements to be shown I just KNOW I'm going to miss an invading fleet approaching. :argh:

I always turn on AI movements so I can take an extra hit or two off the bowl before it's my turn.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Sydin posted:

Every ship is in range of at least two other ships for reinforcement, and the ships extend the entire range from the land to the "edge" of the water on the map. So when the AI goes to calculate a safe path to bombardment, it can't find one and holds off until it has a fleet it feels can break through. So instead of incessant baby stacks, you just get the occasional half or full stack that you can sic your main fleet on. This is also cheesing it, but Fall is all about cheesing, so hey. :v:

That's hilarious and something I will totally begin doing since breaking my own fleet off into parts to better swat is way more obnoxious than simply preventing the need to ever do so.

The Fall of the Samurai AI just seems to be way more petty overall that it deserves any and all possible manipulations to prevent it from having its gold bleeding way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What are the chances. (It was a big brawl in a bridge, and those Yari samurai were the first men to engage my massive yari wall)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

drat my FOTS campaigns are going slow. I'm like 80 turns in and just got enough provinces to qualify for a second commission. Whereas I hit RD in under 80 turns in vanilla. I still have about 10 years to complete the campaign too!

I don't know why I even bring cavalry with my modern armies. Just had 2 saber cav fight 1 yari ki and they got slaughtered so badly. And revolver cav is probably crappier than anything else.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I found revolver cavalry to be fine for flanking maneuvers, while saber cavalry is used to chase down stragglers after a battle is won.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yari Ki get a big boost against cavalry because of their spears so they're really not to be engaged with sabre cavalry. Sabre cavalry excel against infantry as long as the infantry don't have spears.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I always just use revolver cav as mounted skirmishers against the sides or backs of units. Roll them in for a salvo or two and then peel off.
Not sure if it's ideal, but if I'm flanking with them on an engaged unit that doesn't have spears, I just set them to melee and have them cycle charges. Firing off a shot while closing on the charge feels like it makes up for the decreased killing power compared to sabre cav.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd like to see Total War and maybe other games like Civ implement a mechanic with trade deals where you get a bonus to AI relations for giving them favourable trade deals. Maybe give the player a small number of set deals to choose from. For example, say you're winning a war, but don't want to finish your enemy off right now. Currently, you offer peace and you try to wring as much money as possible out of the AI for it, dropping the amount until you find the max the AI will give you. This isn't very fun. Instead, you have a choice, for example:

a) Give the AI peace for 5000 gold and a relations penalty,
b) Give the AI peace for 2000 gold and no relations change,
c) Give the AI peace for 0 gold and a relations bonus.

Obviously the numbers are variable and would change depending how well the AI felt the war was going and could be a sliding scale instead of a limited number of set increments.

I think this would add a little more depth to diplomacy by giving a way to build a relationship with an AI, and add some actual decision making to trade, instead of playing guess how much gold the AI will give/want for peace/trade etc.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 21, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I haven't played Total War in a while. My last campaign at Rome 2 kinda hosed me up.

I decided to play the game to one of the hardest difficulty with Rome. At first everything was going rather well. I conquered most of what would be considered the Western half of the roman empire. Xcept maybe in africa, where I conquered everything until I reached Egypt.

What I did not notice, was that on the other side of the map, 2 empire were created. The Greeks, which own all of greece, and a large part of the eastern part of the map, and the Egyptiens which own the rest of the map. There might be a few lesser powers somewhere but they are of no consequence. Anyways, both of these big empires are now allied and they are super bro-gently caress-buddies that just will not break their treaty. I tried getting super friendly with one of them, creating all sorts of treaty and offering huge sums of cash to get them to break their allegiance to the other.. No dice.

So back on my half of the Empire, I was getting ready to invade Britain when it too, decided to ally itself with those 2 bastards. Although I am in theory much more powerful than any of these Empires, there is just no way I can fight on all 3 fronts at the same time. My Armies are already overstretched as it is, considering a bunch of them are in northen Gaul getting ready for an invasion.

I'm sure if I put some effort into it, I could find a way out of this dilema, but at this point I think I just got burnt out of the game.

This is probably one of the reasons I consider this game Awsome. In the end, diplomacy won the day (for the AI) since i ended up quitting.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Can anyone give me some recommendations for modding FotS. I found RSM 1.2 pretty good and just stumbled over the Artillery Unit Pack. Are those two compatible?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Playing a regular Rome 2 campaign gets unbearable when Asia is all you've got left to conquer. I installed the Short Campaign mod and never looked back - it's pretty silly having to use 16 full Legions while having 6 million gold in upkeep just from military units and still struggling to cover all the ground so the AI can't go and take my inner provinces.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Azran posted:

I found revolver cavalry to be fine for flanking maneuvers, while saber cavalry is used to chase down stragglers after a battle is won.

I love revolver cav, great for causing routs, can get into that sweet flanking position faster than archers or a flanking line, can back off before the enemy has had time to turn.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

canyoneer posted:

I always just use revolver cav as mounted skirmishers against the sides or backs of units. Roll them in for a salvo or two and then peel off.
Not sure if it's ideal, but if I'm flanking with them on an engaged unit that doesn't have spears, I just set them to melee and have them cycle charges. Firing off a shot while closing on the charge feels like it makes up for the decreased killing power compared to sabre cav.

They're gonna be less effective against line infantry that can shoot at them, but in general the gunpowder cavalry in Shogun 2 are all ridiculously powerful. Keep them out of trouble and harass melee troops, they can get absurd amounts of kills, especially when you get carbine and imperial/shogunate guard cavalry.

Magni posted:

Can anyone give me some recommendations for modding FotS. I found RSM 1.2 pretty good and just stumbled over the Artillery Unit Pack. Are those two compatible?

Unit packs are usually compatible with everything so I'd imagine so, but from your post in the other thread it sounded like you'd never tried FotS before? If that's the case you should probably try it without the RSM for your first go. Total overhauls are a bit pointless when you have nothing to compare them to (and when the vanilla game is great already).

Do use the artillery mod though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I did play it unmodded back in the day. Now I just thinking about starting a new campaign, so I wanted to spice it up a bit.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dalael posted:

I'm sure if I put some effort into it, I could find a way out of this dilemma, but at this point I think I just got burnt out of the game.

This is probably one of the reasons I consider this game Awesome. In the end, diplomacy won the day (for the AI) since i ended up quitting.

I think that's the endgame for most Rome 2 games without a short game victory conditions mod. People either use their massive gold to bribe their way to victory via buying alliances themselves or give up since while your endgame armies probably could conquer the required territory, it probably wouldn't be much fun due to how veteran your troops are at that point.

Magni posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490183&userid=158225&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post424428696

I've been using the fort defense re-balance one, but haven't actually used or researched any of the defenses yet and haven't seen the AI use them either. I'm probably going to look into at least putting it up higher on AI priority or something later to make offensive sieges harder, though artillery mod does that by adding cannon unit garrisons IIRC.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Decus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490183&userid=158225&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post424428696

I've been using the fort defense re-balance one, but haven't actually used or researched any of the defenses yet and haven't seen the AI use them either. I'm probably going to look into at least putting it up higher on AI priority or something later to make offensive sieges harder, though artillery mod does that by adding cannon unit garrisons IIRC.
Cheaper research/build times are fine but in all fairness unless you didn't bring 2-3 pieces of artillery to a siege assault you can pretty much shoot down all the towers you need for a clear approach anyway. Unless the cannon ones also have about the same range as most arty pieces (500-700) and then some.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If you ever actually fight a star fort (which has bastion cannons by default) or a castle with cannon towers, yeah, they can counterbattery, and very effectively too since they're ridiculously accurate.

But even with the reduced research times mod it's absurdly late game; I've only ever seen them in a campaign which was basically entirely for the purposes of trying them out. Compounded by the fact it takes something absurd like 12 turns to build each one when you finally do get the techs done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's another thing I dislike about Rome 2, you can't manually direct the towers any more. At least, I don't think you can. The shogun 2 tower controls were great, as was the display for them in the top of the screen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Koramei posted:

If you ever actually fight a star fort (which has bastion cannons by default) or a castle with cannon towers, yeah, they can counterbattery, and very effectively too since they're ridiculously accurate.

But even with the reduced research times mod it's absurdly late game; I've only ever seen them in a campaign which was basically entirely for the purposes of trying them out. Compounded by the fact it takes something absurd like 12 turns to build each one when you finally do get the techs done.
Yeah, the arty mod is a lot better since they at least add some artillery garrisons based on what buildings you have. Had a few 4-inch mortars knock out my guns once or twice and those hand rockets are pretty nasty morale shocks too.

The only odd thing about the mod is some of the gun crews are nigh-invincible and they either fight back when routing or something because I've sent generals or saber cav at routing arty crews (the ones they added in the mod) and they either take forever to massacre 30-odd something crew or lose half a dozen or so men in the vain attempt (despite them being shattered), which is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's in vanilla too (and maybe Empire and Napoleon?) and is loving annoying.

The main thing that has me concerned about Attila is that they'll release it and just not ever touch it again like they did with FotS. FotS is probably the best TW setting they ever did and they left so much undone. :smith: