Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mr. Hand posted:

Which modern Total War game is a good intro to the franchise? Empire or Shogun 2?

Definitely Shogun 2. It's the most well balanced of all the Total War games. Also the unit roster is great because everything has a very clear purpose and even the cheapest units are useful into the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Shogun 2 is hands down my favorite Total War game.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
thanks!

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

dogstile posted:

Yup, you'll really notice it when the enemy staggers a few men into your lines or only manages to hit maybe 5% of it because they don't have to many units left. Once you get kneel fire its even better as I think it makes your second line guys actually shoot the enemy point plank. Its glorious :black101:

Aww yisss, guard mode rocks. Managed to just barely fight off a stack of levies/samurai/kisho loving ninja with my newly ascended revolver cav daimyo, a unit of bow kachi, two spear levy and like 4 Levy infantry. At the end I had 19 Bow Kachi and the two general units had like 8 men left each, just managed to rout the remaining 100 or so Yari samurai with a slow chain rout from the levies. If I hadn't had guard mode active for the last few firing squads inside the fort it would of been a loss.

Revolver Cavalry are kickin' rad and my first Parrott Guns rolled out too, was able to absolutely maul every army they encountered. Traditional units are still decent in a pinch but now I've seen the higher tier gun units I really like the 'holy poo poo things are changing' vibe they've managed to create in the game.

Mr. Hand posted:

Which modern Total War game is a good intro to the franchise? Empire or Shogun 2?

I haven't played Empire but Shogun 2/Fall of the Samurai are really good fun

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Frankly posted:

Aww yisss, guard mode rocks. Managed to just barely fight off a stack of levies/samurai/kisho loving ninja with my newly ascended revolver cav daimyo, a unit of bow kachi, two spear levy and like 4 Levy infantry. At the end I had 19 Bow Kachi and the two general units had like 8 men left each, just managed to rout the remaining 100 or so Yari samurai with a slow chain rout from the levies. If I hadn't had guard mode active for the last few firing squads inside the fort it would of been a loss.

Revolver Cavalry are kickin' rad and my first Parrott Guns rolled out too, was able to absolutely maul every army they encountered. Traditional units are still decent in a pinch but now I've seen the higher tier gun units I really like the 'holy poo poo things are changing' vibe they've managed to create in the game.

I haven't played Empire but Shogun 2/Fall of the Samurai are really good fun

OTOH It's so satisfying to have some Katana kachi tear through a line of artillery if the opponent wasn't paying attention, especially if you have the blood pack. Sure it's hard as hell but the Shogun demands blood :unsmigghh:

And Empire isn't broken as hell anymore, but almost everything it does Napoleon does better so if you're in the mood for guns Napoleon is a better option in every way. Unless you REALLY want to be the Maratha Confederacy or something.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Best campaign I ever played was as Persia in modded Empire, nothing like beating up Europeans

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm getting a real itch to play FOTS again because I just started a job that involves learning how to operate Armstrong guns. Man, Shogun 2 in general was just so great, and I was never even remotely interested in the setting before I started playing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Generation Internet posted:

I'm getting a real itch to play FOTS again because I just started a job that involves learning how to operate Armstrong guns. Man, Shogun 2 in general was just so great, and I was never even remotely interested in the setting before I started playing.

Please post pictures/videos.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Generation Internet posted:

I hope they recapture some of the magic with WTW, otherwise I may have to bid farewell to one of the only game franchises I own every edition of.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I went and played some Empire again after getting an itch for gunpowder and colonization, and while I appreciate how patches and mods have made it much better than it was before, I sure as hell am not going to miss the AI making GBS threads tiny stacks all over the loving place and raiding everything, forever. I will take army limits over this, with the good and the bad.

Also, you miss stuff like auto-replenishment and even little touches like troops defaulting to run stance instead of daintily stepping into position while angry, screaming cavalrymen with sharp swords are bearing down on them.

And why do my cavalry end up killing themselves while charging routing enemies?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Toff Frenzy. They really get into it, so much they forget they aren't hunting and are actually in a battle.

Seriously though, with Milita or Levy cavalry that should always be a comedy feature.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

toasterwarrior posted:

And why do my cavalry end up killing themselves while charging routing enemies?

I think routing enemies still get to fight back, albeit with large penalties. So they can still kill a few of your dudes.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

I hope they recapture some of the magic with WTW, otherwise I may have to bid farewell to one of the only game franchises I own every edition of.

This. RTW 2 was kinda boring and Im waiting for the big summer sale to try atilla. S2 was great, I'll prolly still through money at CA, but it feels like I'm just chasing a dragoon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wafflecopper posted:

I think routing enemies still get to fight back, albeit with large penalties. So they can still kill a few of your dudes.

If they have guns they may freindly-fire themselves.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've had (very minor) losses chasing routers as recently as Shogun 2, no guns or arrows involved there. Like once their initial charge is over and they start wheeling around slowly trying to find dudes to hit there will be a couple of enemies who seem to fight back. If guns are involved I swear all bullets have twice the range for friendly-fire purposes so that may be a factor in Empire :v:

Relatedly I had a Triarii General rear-charge a near dead unit of lovely cavalry in Rome II, it had already got caught up in some spear units. Almost instantly the advisor doofus was yelling OUR GENERAL HAS FALLEN. I checked the unit, sure enough 117/120 soldiers remaining.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As far as I know, routing units fight back but are unable to kill. Any losses sustained are due to friendly fire (typically from nearby ranged units, but hypothetically from collisions).

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I've been thinking of booting up Napoleon again to see how tough things are on the continent, figure I'll go for the Russians or some minor civ. What mods are goon recommended for Napoleon? I'm mainly looking for some stuff to expand the unit rosters a bit and let me play as all the nations.

I took a look at Europe in Conflict, and while letting you recruit different troops from defeated territories is cool, the rest looks like a bunch of :reject:"No fun! Realism!":reject: TWC crap. Anyone tried it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This is always a tricky question, as to me NTW was one of the products they made so well you don't need mods until the base game is truly tried and tested. Might be time to do some digging and try and find the answer.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Shogun 2 and to a lesser extent Napoleon were easily the best thought-out in terms of gameplay and it's sad that that focus lost out to finding twenty variations on the ancient swordsman.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Panzeh posted:

Shogun 2 and to a lesser extent Napoleon were easily the best thought-out in terms of gameplay and it's sad that that focus lost out to finding twenty variations on the ancient swordsman.

But Malibu Stacy has a new hat

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The most amusing aspect of it all that there is some modder out there that has done the same amount just modifying the base assets.

The only difference being of course no female models, because TWC that is why.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Murderion posted:

I've been thinking of booting up Napoleon again to see how tough things are on the continent, figure I'll go for the Russians or some minor civ. What mods are goon recommended for Napoleon? I'm mainly looking for some stuff to expand the unit rosters a bit and let me play as all the nations.

I took a look at Europe in Conflict, and while letting you recruit different troops from defeated territories is cool, the rest looks like a bunch of :reject:"No fun! Realism!":reject: TWC crap. Anyone tried it?

What do you find particularly unfun about the mod?

The only mod I've played in Napoleon is LME. It's got a bunch of campaigns for all the different coalitions, an egregious amount of unique units, and similar changes to musket range because they don't do a drat thing unless you're two feet away.

nines
Aug 13, 2007
What are some fun nations in Stainless Steel? I've just got back into playing m2 and I can't decide

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Khwarezmia

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The time period in Shogun (2) isn't my absolute favorite, but it's definitely the Total War game I clocked the most hours in. Napoleon was leaps and bounds more interesting to me coming from Empire as well. I grabbed Rome 2 on release (shame on me) and even after EE and all the patches I can't get into it. Shogun 2 felt like each unit had some sort of purpose. Rome 2 feels overwhelming with its unit variety.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Panzeh posted:

Too bad TWC has a hard-on for ancient sources.

I would've preferred rosters just went full ham and left meaningful holes you had to account for. Like barb tribes just flat out having more men per unit but shittier men. I mean, yeah I guess eventually some barb tribes got legionnaire-like infantry but at a higher cost, that's fine except those things were the new spammable poo poo and all that anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Sober posted:

I would've preferred rosters just went full ham and left meaningful holes you had to account for. Like barb tribes just flat out having more men per unit but shittier men. I mean, yeah I guess eventually some barb tribes got legionnaire-like infantry but at a higher cost, that's fine except those things were the new spammable poo poo and all that anyway.

Yeah. The humongous unit sizes of ikko ikki ashigaru were a fun balance and theme decision. I bet that's going to be a big balance factor between factions in warhams.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sober posted:

I remember back when Rome 2 was in development there was some PR bollocks about being able to equip and upgrade your troops with armour and gear and being just stuck with template soldiers that had some advantages but you had to develop them to be powerful.

In same stuff they looked at selling tech as DLC too, so I guess it was binned before the usual outcry. A shame as a system like that sounds pretty interesting to me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nines posted:

What are some fun nations in Stainless Steel? I've just got back into playing m2 and I can't decide

Anything in the Mediterranean coast allows for long range crusades\jihads and meetings with all kinds of different enemies.

but you should really try

Koramei posted:

Khwarezmia

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember back when Rome 2 was in development there was some PR bollocks about being able to equip and upgrade your troops with armour and gear and being just stuck with template soldiers that had some advantages but you had to develop them to be powerful.

In same stuff they looked at selling tech as DLC too, so I guess it was binned before the usual outcry. A shame as a system like that sounds pretty interesting to me.

Rome 2s problem was that nothing you did seemed to matter. I can't pinpoint one aspect of the game to be at fault, but I remember when I completely checked out of my first campaign. I had just conquered the entirety of Egypt in 6 turns, when my faction leader died of old age. My original heir had also died, and so my new faction leader was a random general that had the same face as my old leader. Following that, I was attacked by Gauls with an army comprised entirely of Noble Horse, Oathsworn, and skirmishers, for the third time.

I didn't feel like fighting that battle, and never played again.

The co-op campaign was fun when it didn't bug the gently caress out though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The #1 rule for balancing a strategy game should be to never ask people who think Makedon Pontus Poland Cyprus Palmyra Albania could ever truly conquer the world for advice.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

Yeah. The humongous unit sizes of ikko ikki ashigaru were a fun balance and theme decision. I bet that's going to be a big balance factor between factions in warhams.

The biggest benefit of the ikko ikki ashigaru was having loan swordsmen, honestly. Cheap ashigaru who beat yari ashigaru are a really good buy, and there's a reason they were excluded in the campaign for the normal factions.

In MP only the up front cost matters so they're not as dominant a unit as they would be in the campaign.

Sober posted:

The lack of matchlocks and the pointlessness of light infantry made the game a heavy infantry dominant game overall(about 80% of the factions have their best unit being heavy infantry). If I had to identify one major problem with the campaign and MP, it's that the low-end units simply fail to be useful. I had this illusion that in Rome 2 they would find something for light infantry to do, like making heavy infantry fight worse outside the wide open, flat fields but they chose never to do that, instead making light troops just bad versions of heavy troops.

CA, maybe by accident, managed to make a system in Shogun 2 where the ashigaru units(bow, spear, even teppo) were much more economical than their high end counterparts so they remained useful throughout the whole game as you needed enough armies to range the map. That being said, samurai units rather easily outperformed anything they weren't hard-countered by(bow ashigaru had a hidden debuff to their bow armor penetration, for example, making them nearly useless against samurai infantry).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Total War Arena just released it's first trailler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZ9hpdglzo

Game owns even in alpha stage, super pumped about it's future.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I signed up the moment the alpha access was announced and I still haven't gotten an email :mad:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Koramei posted:

I signed up the moment the alpha access was announced and I still haven't gotten an email :mad:

I'm still waiting too, are you murican? I heard they aren't doing alpha access for US.... Think I heard that in this thread though so who knows.

I've bought every TW game in the franchise except for Atilla, some more than once thanks to steam. This is bullshit.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I got a key thankfully from the email, but a buddy just bought one for I think 4$ online through one of those random shady mmo sale sites and it worked.

I think the NDA is still up or whatnot, but its pretty fun and the progression is entertaining. If anyone else has it, PM me your name. I have noticed that 2-3 coordinated people can completely steamroll battles against random pugs.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone ever recruit any famous historical figures in Empire Total War? I've found one old forum topic via Google where someone mentions recruiting Napoleon and another Wellesley. I've been trying to promote an artillery unit in Corsica in 1789 as France to get Napoleon but I keep getting Napoleon Perrault. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mans posted:

Total War Arena just released it's first trailler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZ9hpdglzo

Game owns even in alpha stage, super pumped about it's future.

I can't wait to roleplay that one shithead general who thinks he can take on the world with just his lovely-rear end archer corps and disobeys every single order.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the NDA of Arena has been lifted and we can finally talk about it.

I love the game. Imagine a World of Tanks\War Thunder tree, where you start off with militia hoplites and end up at tier X with silver shield pikemen. On the Greek side you have hoplites, pikemen, some assault troops, slingers and Scythian archers, on the Roman side there's Italian\Etruscan units that evolve into manipular\marian\legionaire and palatine guards with evolving skirmishers and auxiliary cavalry.

It's basically what you expect if someone tiered the army progression of the Roman and hellenic armies.

There's premium units that add all sort of unit and interesting units like Achilles' Myrmidons, naked Spartans, Gladiators, Roman barbarian mercenaries and assorted side-grades that aren't pay to win but are usually fill interesting roles.

The game is based around three choices, Faction, Commander and Army.

You first start off by choosing your Faction, there's only Rome and Greece at the moment but there's plenty of placeholders for a barbarian faction.

Then you choose your general, Miltiades, Leonidas and Alexander on the Greek side, Scipio Africanus, Ceasar or Germanicus on the Roman (Arminius and Vercingetorix are the Barbarian commander's placeholders). Each general has four skills you can unlock with XP and\or upgrade them to become more powerful. Giving skills\upgrades to a general increases his tier, which allows him to buy higher tiered Army units.

You choose three units to your army, ranging from spearmen, pikemen, swordsmen, skirmishers, slingers, archers, cavalry, dogs or artillery. They obtain XP which can be used to unlock better gear and the next tiered unit. Much like WT\WOT, units need to be replenished when they suffer losses and you can buy consumables to complement their performance (all of them are bought with silver).

Your general is a physical soldier in the game, leading the first unit you select, so it's preferable to always have your heaviest strongest unit as the first one. If he dies you lose his skills and your army suffers a moral penalty. Commander skills play an important role in selecting your army. Leonidas and Africanus are great at turning your infantry into unmoving bricks, alexander can pin down the enemy and gives bonuses to cavalry, Miltiades is a great disruptor and infantry commander while Germanicus and Ceasar are very diverse in their skills.

After choosing your general and army selection you go to war, where the game is basically the same as any Total War: beat the crap out of the enemy team and\or capture their base. Since you only have three units in a 10vs10 game communication is very important and playing in a group is a great way to smash pubbies.

There's still a lot of bugs, namely in the collision of units, pathfinding and unit balance but it's a perfectly serviceable game right now.

The game has a lot of potential, i hope it succeeds because it looks very very promising and i can see myself ruining my finances due to it like WoT.

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait to roleplay that one shithead general who thinks he can take on the world with just his lovely-rear end archer corps and disobeys every single order.
Oh there's plenty of that don't you worry :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Sounds like fun. Cooping battles in multiplayer campaigns with a friend is really fun (especially to remove the tedium of micro and just have one person being in charge of artillery and cycling cavalry charges or something)

I'd love to participate in a goonstomp of 10 vs. 10 pubbies. I've never played F2P games before, and I'm concerned that I will either hate the grind (like Battlefield 3/4 weapon unlocks) or hate spending real money to buy stuff.