Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Darth's Gettysburg game looks really good and I'm going to buy it so thanks Apple for bringing that back to my attention I guess.

The gameplay video on Steam really sells it; its an AARP of an engagement that does a lot to spell out what the capabilities of the AI are. It definitely is a spiritual successor to Gettysburg, and it looks like it does the slow burn sort of battle a lot better than trying to modify TW games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Darth's Gettysburg game looks really good and I'm going to buy it so thanks Apple for bringing that back to my attention I guess.

The gameplay video on Steam really sells it; its an AARP of an engagement that does a lot to spell out what the capabilities of the AI are. It definitely is a spiritual successor to Gettysburg, and it looks like it does the slow burn sort of battle a lot better than trying to modify TW games did.

Yeah, it's an awesome game and it handles larger battles better than Gettysburg, even, because you don't have to worry about fine tuning regiments(though I will say the videttes/skirmishers of the first scenario feel like a kludge when you start playing with them in MP with people who know how to exploit them).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also does anyone have advice on how to get into Shogun 2 multi? It looks like there's still a handful of people playing it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i honestly can't remember the last time someone from any mod scene actually went and made a good game. I guess Lusted kinda counts since he went on to work with CA but i can't thinking of anyone else.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Plenty if you go back a decade

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

In Shogun 2 I counquered a Nanban trading port province. If I want to convert will I get another offer to build a port later? I already turned down one.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's an awesome game and it handles larger battles better than Gettysburg, even, because you don't have to worry about fine tuning regiments(though I will say the videttes/skirmishers of the first scenario feel like a kludge when you start playing with them in MP with people who know how to exploit them).

Confirming that it does a very good job of handling a large-scale battle in ways that TW games don't really try to emulate. Everything happens at a slower pace and army lines are much longer (and there's no significant Cavalry forces), which makes positioning more important than it is in TW games since marching infantry to reinforce a flank is a lot harder when your battle line extends two miles instead of 200 yards.

I also really like the fact that you're fighting over strategic objectives rather than just getting your armies dumped onto a field and finding the nearest hill to deploy on.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Confirming that it does a very good job of handling a large-scale battle in ways that TW games don't really try to emulate. Everything happens at a slower pace and army lines are much longer (and there's no significant Cavalry forces), which makes positioning more important than it is in TW games since marching infantry to reinforce a flank is a lot harder when your battle line extends two miles instead of 200 yards.

I also really like the fact that you're fighting over strategic objectives rather than just getting your armies dumped onto a field and finding the nearest hill to deploy on.

The thing I like the most about it is its campaign battle structure. I kinda wish Total War would let you do something similar as a parade of battles sidemode where you are making decisions about how your army evolves over time but aren't going into the more tedious aspects of empire management.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Pike and Shot is also a very good military battle game if anyone is looking for recommendations. It's turn based and a bit spergy though, so make sure you're cool with that before buying.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Rome 2 had those at release and everyone howled for their removal

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rabhadh posted:

Rome 2 had those at release and everyone howled for their removal

Rome 2 did them really badly. In UGG, your strategic objectives represent terrain features with actual strategic value where holding them denotes controlling areas of the map and the entire objective in battle is to control terrain and drive the enemy away from critical positions. For instance, an objective might be a hill that offers commanding firing positions over the city of Gettysburg, and you might find yourself in a situation where attacking it head-on would be too costly, so instead you send troops around to overwhelm one flank while keeping a fixing force in the center ready to support the assault and fighting a delaying action on the other flank. You can do similar things in TW games, but the scale is different and the relatively small sizes of units combined with high speeds means that you can't execute grand strategy in the same way, especially when a battle is just the defending army camping on one hill with no need to move.

To put it simply: in TW games, you cross terrain to attack the enemy. In UGG, you attack the enemy to seize terrain.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's something that bugs me in a lot of TW games - terrain features can be a huge advantage but there's basically no way to actually force an engagement on favourable terrain because there's no reason to go over there. If you've got time limits on then the attacker will have to engage EVENTUALLY, but it would be more interesting if claiming certain areas gave enough advantage to be worth fighting over them.

Shogun 2 multiplayer had that but for some reason they never included it in any of the single player maps (despite including it in the siege tutorial for some reason).

I guess maybe the concern is that it would be difficult to get the AI to be smart enough to make good use of map objectives - if it values them too heavily it divides its forces up between all of them and you can easily overwhelm it with your full army despite the buffs it gets, and if it doesn't value them enough then all the player needs is a token force to take all of them. Threading the needle of when knowing when to capture a point and when to cede it to the enemy to conserve your resources is a problem a lot of humans have trouble with, so getting the AI to do it right would be even more difficult.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think there's a difference with what gettysburg is trying to simulate, which is mass industrialized warfare across a wide swath of countryside and the much smaller scale of ancient/medieval battle comparatively. I wish they still at least tried like they had in Shogun 2 though, rome 2 meant that a lot of the times in multiplayer battles if the opponent knew you had cavalry superiority they would make a box of their heavy infantry protecting one tiny corner of the map and dare you to charge them. In shogun 2 you could grab the ammo and morale objectives of the map for their bonuses.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sharkopath posted:

I think there's a difference with what gettysburg is trying to simulate, which is mass industrialized warfare across a wide swath of countryside and the much smaller scale of ancient/medieval battle comparatively. I wish they still at least tried like they had in Shogun 2 though, rome 2 meant that a lot of the times in multiplayer battles if the opponent knew you had cavalry superiority they would make a box of their heavy infantry protecting one tiny corner of the map and dare you to charge them. In shogun 2 you could grab the ammo and morale objectives of the map for their bonuses.

Well, I think in UGG they don't have the burden of being a thing where we need to have one army come out the obvious victor when two armies meet on a bigger map.

I mean, once you have the need to have the outcome feed into the strat map, you come under a lot of limitations. Points in the middle of the map don't make sense in that context. In UGG, the battle is the context, so whatever's there makes more sense.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Well, I think in UGG they don't have the burden of being a thing where we need to have one army come out the obvious victor when two armies meet on a bigger map.

I mean, once you have the need to have the outcome feed into the strat map, you come under a lot of limitations. Points in the middle of the map don't make sense in that context. In UGG, the battle is the context, so whatever's there makes more sense.

The thing is that I don't think you really need that in the TW games either - the lack of stalemates as an outcome is kind of odd, especially considering that a lot of ancient battles really DID basically go "two armies line up and stare/shout at each other for about a day, then go back to their tents and sleep". Refusal to engage is a valid tactic that isn't actually possible in TW because every battle HAS to have a winner.

You could easily have field battles that end in stalemates because the time limit expired result in both armies essentially standing next to each other on the strategic map, and have it function kind of like a town siege, where neither army can move until either the battle is actually decisively engaged or one side withdraws. Damage dealt in indecisive battles could still be meaningful if you have armies engaged in stalemates be unable to replenish, and seasonal attrition would also kick in so you couldn't just sit there forever. Hell, maybe make battle map objectives retain their owners after a stalemate, so if you can capture and hold a point until the time limit expires, you get to start with the bonus (and the point itself as a deployment area) in the next battle, giving even them even more strategic weight.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing is that I don't think you really need that in the TW games either - the lack of stalemates as an outcome is kind of odd, especially considering that a lot of ancient battles really DID basically go "two armies line up and stare/shout at each other for about a day, then go back to their tents and sleep". Refusal to engage is a valid tactic that isn't actually possible in TW because every battle HAS to have a winner.

Yeah, this is one of the things TW stuggles with. By making decisive action mandatory whenever two armies meet on the campaign map, you end up with players compelled to fight out battles that never would have happened in real life. Hill Shogun MP-stype hill camping is a very effective strategy torn right from the pages of history, but it doesn't make for very fun gameplay :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, this is one of the things TW stuggles with. By making decisive action mandatory whenever two armies meet on the campaign map, you end up with players compelled to fight out battles that never would have happened in real life. Hill Shogun MP-stype hill camping is a very effective strategy torn right from the pages of history, but it doesn't make for very fun gameplay :v:

Yeah, I mean constant stalemates is obviously boring, but I think that's why having strategic map objectives would make it worthwhile. By giving both sides something to fight over rather than making just wiping out the other army your only objective, you give both sides an incentive to give up their hill to gain whatever advantage is granted by the capturable points - basically forcing both sides into each other. At the same time, if you REALLY don't want to give up your hill, having stalemates means you don't actually have to, but you're allowing the enemy to control the battlefield and putting yourself at a big disadvantage in your next engagement.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Speaking of stalemates, I reallllly wish tw would acknowledge that a draw can be a strategic victory rather than always treating it as a loss for the attacker. I liked sending my siege navy into heavily defended enemy cities in RTW2, but it always sucked when 'attacking', killing several thousand enemy troops and not losing any of mine then meant waiting out the battle timer and my navy retreating from the city with the blockade broken. This tactic currently isn't really effective at all, unless I attack with an army the same turn. It's quite frustrating really.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I haven't played UGG myself but I watched quite a bit of footage of it. I would imagine if said always-hypothetical real-time-4X'ish or Paradox/TW mashup existed, probably UGG is a better model to simulate armies meeting on a battlefield. You'd still be able to somewhat maneuver army elements, just nothing as precise as how many ranks/files, etc. Imagine sort of a Sins-style zoom in/out thing where you can manage your empire and poo poo but zoom all the way down and you get the terrain and full breakdown of army elements to control in a similar style.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The thing I like about Ultimate General: Gettysburg is that the engine could easily simulate any line and shot battle from the Renaissance to even WW1, if it so wanted to. Hell, I'd be down paying $15 for an UG: Verdun or Waterloo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PBJ posted:

The thing I like about Ultimate General: Gettysburg is that the engine could easily simulate any line and shot battle from the Renaissance to even WW1, if it so wanted to. Hell, I'd be down paying $15 for an UG: Verdun or Waterloo.

Darth's game needs the next Darth.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Is anyone else playing the Belisarius Last Roman DLC for Attilla? I'm having a great time with the loyalist path, which works as an awesome dark ages Stannis simulator. Basically you have to keep moving forward and conquering as a horde, but you make no money out of conquest. So you're always one turn away from bankruptcy and your reinforcements are on the verge of open revolt and the Emperor just told you to march halfway across the map for the next conquest and your troops are now deserting right at the enemy's city wall because you've been force marching them for three turns without a break but if you can just hold out one...more...turn then you can build ladders to storm the city and rest your troops. Meanwhile you are building this hardened core of veterans. The strategic layer is bastard hard and I love it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If I'm not gonna go Christian is there a real point to stuff that boost damiyo honor?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

StashAugustine posted:

If I'm not gonna go Christian is there a real point to stuff that boost damiyo honor?

Your Damiyo's honor is, iirc, also a significant diplomacy modifier as well as...I think a morale boost for the army he's leading? And I'm pretty sure it's a modifier for the loyalty of generals, which can be pretty important if you've done something foolish like loving up all of your family loyalties by adopting generals, or just wound up with a non-family/non-heir general who's a complete badass.

Basically you should pay attention to it, but if none of the above particularly applies you shouldn't pursue it to the exclusion of anything else.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Your Damiyo's honor is, iirc, also a significant diplomacy modifier as well as...I think a morale boost for the army he's leading? And I'm pretty sure it's a modifier for the loyalty of generals, which can be pretty important if you've done something foolish like loving up all of your family loyalties by adopting generals, or just wound up with a non-family/non-heir general who's a complete badass.

Basically you should pay attention to it, but if none of the above particularly applies you shouldn't pursue it to the exclusion of anything else.

It also gives a public order bonus, so you don't have to put as many troops to garrison provinces. Thus you have more troops to take with your armies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I may be in a three-front war with Realm Divide fast approaching and only 15 years or so left but the Oda are still really fun to play.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Picked up the game again, I keep getting random CTD's during the FoTS for absolutely no reason. Anyone else been having those issues? It used to be maybe 1 or 2 CTD's a day now its like every 10 minutes to an hour. The crashes happen either during combat or in the main map and first person mode.

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 2, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re installed Medieval 2 and i think somethings' wrong with my Crusades campaign

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mans posted:

Looks more like something is right :getin:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I don't see nothing wrong with that picture :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

Working as intended.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, they are green...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just started playing Fall of the Samurai. It's the first Total War game I've played since Empire and I'm enjoying it so far.I haven't played the original Shogun 2 but I hear it's a lot better, is there any truth to that?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Where did you hear that? It depends on what you're looking for but if anything I'd say FotS is better. More refined more dynamic and more diverse. Shogun 2 has a lot to offer too though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just started playing Fall of the Samurai. It's the first Total War game I've played since Empire and I'm enjoying it so far.I haven't played the original Shogun 2 but I hear it's a lot better, is there any truth to that?

FotS is a great side-release. It's not as well balanced as Shogun 2, and the AI doesn't really deal with 19th century firepower properly. It's hella fun, but Shogun 2 is a more cohesive game.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 9, 2015

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

FotS is a great side-release. It's not as well balanced as Shogun 2, and the AI doesn't really deal with 19th century firepower properly. It's hella fun, but Shogun 2 is a more cohesive game.

It's really great. Also, am I wrong to feel like playing Sendai for a legendary run was cheating? It just seemed so... easy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

ARMSTRONG GUNS AT THE READY!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Arbite posted:

It's really great. Also, am I wrong to feel like playing Sendai for a legendary run was cheating? It just seemed so... easy.

once you figure out that the ideal army composition is just to always add more cannons, and that that will beat literally anything the AI can make, FotS kind of loses its challenge. but if you try to set some limits for yourself it can be extremely dynamic.

not that just piling on the cannons is at all boring either, mind

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Add the artillery mod that gives you Napoleonic-era artillery early on in the tech tree and then you will learn just exactly why explosive shells were such a huge loving deal vs lobbing big cast iron balls at one another as you progress over the course of your campaign. It's stupid how stark the differences are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

FotS is total war with the brakes off - it's a mad race to get the most money for the biggest, baddest toys you can get your hands on. While in Shogun you have to balance food against development, in FotS the only things holding you back are money and people getting prissy when you demolish a tea house to build a sweatshop. It's utter apocalyptic hellfire that pushes the engine to its limits and makes a downright mockery of a lot of the battle mechanics. The agent and general skill trees are streamlined and a lot better than vanilla S2.

Shogun 2 is a more balanced experience overall, forcing you to make choices at every single stage of the strategic map. Tactically, every single unit is useful until the end of the game (apart from firebomb throwers, gently caress those guys) - it's entirely possible to take a unit of Ashigaru from the first slapfight in your home province to the gates of Kyoto. You'll need to, too. The economy has been tweaked to the point where it'll take a long, long time before you'll be able to field Samurai in serious numbers.

Whether you enjoy the period more is up to you, but having played both the battle AI handles medieval combat far, far better. The factions are a lot more diverse, and the DLC factions play completely differently.

Remember not to compare the naval combat of S2 to FotS or Empire. If you instead compare it to a bunch of potatoes in a pond competing to be the Best Potato, you might be pleasantly surprised!