Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
FotS is also fun when you decide "gently caress guns gently caress everything" and go full kachi stacks (with supplemental armstrong guns anyways because they're fun). It lets you play around with some of the other mechanics that you usually neglect like line of sight and creeping along forests, since if you don't you'll get shot to death and that is bad.

I was doing a coop campaign with a buddy and my happiest memory is winding up as reinforcements and arriving at basically the same exact spot that a larger nontraditional enemy force showed up and massacring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Murderion posted:

FotS is total war with the brakes off - it's a mad race to get the most money for the biggest, baddest toys you can get your hands on. While in Shogun you have to balance food against development, in FotS the only things holding you back are money and people getting prissy when you demolish a tea house to build a sweatshop. It's utter apocalyptic hellfire that pushes the engine to its limits and makes a downright mockery of a lot of the battle mechanics. The agent and general skill trees are streamlined and a lot better than vanilla S2.

Shogun 2 is a more balanced experience overall, forcing you to make choices at every single stage of the strategic map. Tactically, every single unit is useful until the end of the game (apart from firebomb throwers, gently caress those guys) - it's entirely possible to take a unit of Ashigaru from the first slapfight in your home province to the gates of Kyoto. You'll need to, too. The economy has been tweaked to the point where it'll take a long, long time before you'll be able to field Samurai in serious numbers.

Whether you enjoy the period more is up to you, but having played both the battle AI handles medieval combat far, far better. The factions are a lot more diverse, and the DLC factions play completely differently.

Remember not to compare the naval combat of S2 to FotS or Empire. If you instead compare it to a bunch of potatoes in a pond competing to be the Best Potato, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I think Shogun 2 probably has the most interesting setting in terms of the variety of units it gives you - every different unit actually plays a different role and nothing is really a straight upgrade, rather than the various units in something like Rome 2/Medieval where you have a bunch of different factions with slightly different units that aren't really much different from each other at all. The battle AI definitely has a few weaknesses though - it's very bad at sieges, either on offense or defense, and in the open field battles it has a habit of just forming one HUGE line of all its troops and then refusing to move until you attack it. Still, it's a setting I'd like to see them go back to at some point, since it's a fairly unique one as far as military history goes.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Still, it's a setting I'd like to see them go back to at some point, since it's a fairly unique one as far as military history goes.

They really should do a Chinese Total War at some point if we want to see Medieval combat with the crazy turned all the way up.

For all sorts of reasons I'm actually amazed that they haven't done it already.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Battles with friends by your side are so much more fun — now’s your chance to invite a few buddies to Total War: ARENA. Below you'll find 3 free Alpha keys; just hand them out and team up to play with allies!
1) 76A9Q-G8CX3-FNWL2
2) 5607Y-4TFLM-NBQ40
3) C3NTH-HDKWY-KEV33

Your friends can redeem these keys on Steam to download the game immediately. They'll be playing within minutes!

Don't lurk, post if you take one

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

Battles with friends by your side are so much more fun — now’s your chance to invite a few buddies to Total War: ARENA. Below you'll find 3 free Alpha keys; just hand them out and team up to play with allies!
1) 76A9Q-G8CX3-FNWL2
2) 5607Y-4TFLM-NBQ40
3) C3NTH-HDKWY-KEV33

Your friends can redeem these keys on Steam to download the game immediately. They'll be playing within minutes!

Thanks, I took number 1.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Boom, first time i actually was fast enough for one of these. 2 is taken, thank you so much!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ahdinko posted:

3) C3NTH-HDKWY-KEV33

I grabbed this one, thanks for giving these away.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All my friends are already in so you guys can have these

1) MKX0Y-9Z92N-EP69C
2) HJ6X4-E8VBW-M8I4A
3) NFRAC-95W6X-GLZ24

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mans posted:

All my friends are already in so you guys can have these

1) MKX0Y-9Z92N-EP69C

Grabbed this one. Thanks a lot for the code.

edit: I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 10, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mans posted:

2) HJ6X4-E8VBW-M8I4A

Thanks bro, I'll be sure to check this out tomorrow night!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mans posted:

3) NFRAC-95W6X-GLZ24

Took this one, thanks a ton!

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Keys for everyone!

1) KTTV9-CBKNA-AF8WJ
2) 97B0J-KXK3K-A4IGL
3) WY357-V2GW0-2EN73

On that note I can't even play Arena anymore, I lose the connection to the game on every match. Any one else running into this? All is fine during match making, loading, picking spawns etc but when the actual game starts I drop out straight away or within a minute or so.

Once I drop out I can go straight back into the queue so there is a connection there.

It doesn't seem to be the internet itself as other games work fine and streaming music etc doesn't have any problems.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sheizerbrick posted:

3) WY357-V2GW0-2EN73

Grabbed it, thanks buddy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sheizerbrick posted:

Keys for everyone!

1) KTTV9-CBKNA-AF8WJ

Grabbed it and... no MacOS support. I'm dumb. Will pass out codes when/if I get them.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here are three more if anyone's interested

1) NPHNG-ZN8M4-W9X84
2) CLGM5-A5Z8L-YW45K
3) HRC44-3PPY9-58W7C

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

peer posted:

2) CLGM5-A5Z8L-YW45K

Grabbed this one! Thanks peer! Can't wait to kite some fuckers!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

peer posted:

1) NPHNG-ZN8M4-W9X84
2) CLGM5-A5Z8L-YW45K
3) HRC44-3PPY9-58W7C

You're a baller, and I want you to know that!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My Arena commander is up to level 3 now with no way to get back down, does that mean I get dropped into tier 3 matches or is that only dependant on my (still tier 1) units?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Did friend invite keys go out for arena? I cant see them anywhere if they did. Would be awesome to invite my friend to play.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

queeb posted:

Did friend invite keys go out for arena? I cant see them anywhere if they did. Would be awesome to invite my friend to play.
I just clicked on the button on their site, it's handing out keys now.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

My Arena commander is up to level 3 now with no way to get back down, does that mean I get dropped into tier 3 matches or is that only dependant on my (still tier 1) units?

I've been wondering about this too.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

commander level is what affects your matchmaker tier so yes, even if you only have tier 1 units you'll be put against tier 5 generals i think.

i don't know how they plan to develop a mechanism to introduce new friends to the game. I've let Alexander propusely on tier II because otherwise i'd force my new friends into tier V\VI matches.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mans posted:

commander level is what affects your matchmaker tier so yes, even if you only have tier 1 units you'll be put against tier 5 generals i think.

i don't know how they plan to develop a mechanism to introduce new friends to the game. I've let Alexander propusely on tier II because otherwise i'd force my new friends into tier V\VI matches.
So basically I hosed myself out of playing Militiades for now until I get some tier 3 greek units?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

:siren: In Arena you can control the units of CPU and dropped allies. :siren:

Nothing like desperately clicking on other units while you're being pushed back into your base to learn how the game works. Suddenly I had the weight of a fifth of my team pushing the bad guys right back out.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Holy poo poo the Germania map sucks balls. CA: "let's give both sides A loving CASTLE around their cap, surely this won't prompt a giant loving stalemate at tiers where nobody can take siege weapons!"

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Figured i'd give this arena thing a try. Is it as tedious as i think or is it actually fun?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

TwatHammer posted:

Figured i'd give this arena thing a try. Is it as tedious as i think or is it actually fun?
What is your tolerance for:
-Your teammates milling around 50 meters behind the front line while you get crushed?
-Your teammates defending your cap circle with all their units while half the map in front of it is empty and you are getting crushed on the front line?
-Your teammates defending the empty space behind the cap circle while the enemy caps in front of them?
-Your teammates parking their armies in a forest and alt tabbing out?
-Your teammates ceding control of all their units to you at the start of the game, leaving you do do the micro of two people for the rest of the game with no interface support for controlling more than 3 units at the same time?
-Your teammates shooting catapults into your melee fights, killing your troops about three times as fast as the enemy?

If the answer to any of the above is "not very high", you don't want to play this game. If the answer is "yes I can handle the worst teammates that a World of Tanks style game can produce", you'll find it to basically be world of tanks but with the tanks replaced by tiny barebones total war armies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've been playing a lot of CK2 for the last years so the standard Total War campaign feels a bit shallow in comparison but Total War still has some great battles sometimes when the AI manages to finds it's rear end. At very least I had a lot of fun blowing up a far more numerous army of dudes with swords and spears with my cannons and then having my rifle dudes shoot the ragged survivors to death when they got close.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

So basically I hosed myself out of playing Militiades for now until I get some tier 3 greek units?

it's not that bad to use tier II units on a tier III general but to avoid some frustration i suggest unlocking tier 3 unit with Leonidas, yes :v:

Also, you can see when your general gains a tier by the dots bellow his tier when you unlock skill levels. Fill it up and he goes up a tier. So unlock as much skills as you can without filling it and you're good.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Arena is the closest thing to Myth since Myth 2. Which is more an indictment of videogaming than an endorsement of Arena since it's not actually all that mythy but still.

Anyway I like it

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Is there a place where we organize coordinated Arena goonery?

edit: This game is everything bad about World of Tanks but with a sense of detachment that makes losing battles a lot less frustrating. I've yet to get actually frustrated at losing a game. Maybe it gets worse as you go up the ladder.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 11, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've been playing a lot of CK2 for the last years so the standard Total War campaign feels a bit shallow in comparison but Total War still has some great battles sometimes when the AI manages to finds it's rear end. At very least I had a lot of fun blowing up a far more numerous army of dudes with swords and spears with my cannons and then having my rifle dudes shoot the ragged survivors to death when they got close.

If you manage to whup the other guys enough with your artillery, consider putting your infantry in rank fire mode and holding fire until the poor bastards get to maybe half your riflemen's range; the enemy units frequently suffer 100% casualties before they get out of range.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arena seems like fun but victory seems entirely based on how well even a small part of your team is working together. If you have two people working on their movement and organizing flanks you have a good chance of destroying a part of the enemy army, and if you have 3 or 4 roaming around together and picking on the weakest side its a steamroll.

Players seems to want to just immediately separate into their own little hosts and get picked off one by one though, or abandon you to go run to the other side of the map once you've engaged a group larger than your own.

I like that they brought unit painting back in though, and hope they at least reconsider the idea of their next mainline release having a structured multiplayer mode of some kind going forward. For all it's faults I think the Shogun 2 multiplayer was more compelling than the old freeform system they went back to afterwards.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 11, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
In Shogun 2, can you only build one encampment per province, or can you build all encampment types as long as you have the slots for it? Going crazy trying to figure this out without researching for 20 turns.

Edit: I'm going to assume it's just one. Funny how the best strategy in Shogun is to never upgrade any buildings except the one you start with, because growth will always earn you more than buildings.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 11, 2015

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I also have 3 Arena alpha keys to give away, enjoy:

1) WL45Q-RDDBY-XIL80
2) 3R5ZZ-QXCVH-B9G77
3) LMJEY-YVL77-8LH72

Redeemable on Steam.
Try to find someone to play with because solo play can be quite frustrating! I always thought WoT players were the worst, but this taught me it can always get worse!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vodos posted:

3) LMJEY-YVL77-8LH72

Got it, thanks!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

2) 3R5ZZ-QXCVH-B9G77

Grabbed this, cheers!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm probably going to regret this. Been watching Sharpe and getting a hard on for musket warfare, so I've decided to reinstall Empire Total War. What mods are there to make this the least painful I can? No butt ugly towns, no horrendous star forts, no pop-gun muskets and actual line combat?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Does anyone with Arena experience know why Drop Shields is grayed out like 90% of the time? I mash F as hard as I can but my hoplites are just too emotionally attached to their shields to murder skirmishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Come home with it, or on it.