Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm kinda against war weariness too. Don't punish me for engaging in total war, while playing total loving war CA :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, I don't like the war weariness either. CA's campaign AI is too stupid for it to be beneficial. You will see entire nations crumble because they refuse to stop attacking you.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Earwicker posted:

:confused: You know you can just go to battle mode directly and make any kind of army you want and fight it against any other army you want, right?
so like, did you choose to ignore the last paragraph of my post, or are you just stupid?

VerdantSquire posted:

Maybe lots of people really do enjoy those parts, and whatever, good on them. But nowadays? I hardly ever play the campaign; when I boot up total war 90% of the time it's to mess around and have fun in the battle mode. Sometimes I'll try to start up a campaign, but my interest ends up dying off after I've played one quarter of the campaign through and it feels like I've made absolutely no progress whatsoever. I just wish they'd cut it out with peace mechanics and just entirely move their focus to the actual waging war part of the game.
Besides, you're missing my point. Yeah, sure, you have battle mode and all that, but that's something which is very separate from playing an actual total war campaign; you don't get that same sense of achievement and progress that you get from crushing the enemy's army in the Campaign mode from playing mock fights in the battle mode.

Earwicker posted:

Also, while I haven't played Attila, all of the last major TW games including Rome were set up such that you could get into battle in your first turn of a campaign, so I'm not sure what you are even talking about.
I've played both Rome and Attila as various factions and, from what I've played. this is straight up not true. I guess you can suicide your six unit armies into the fully garrisoned minor faction cities in Rome, or you can do every single one of those victory-assured village raids in Atilla, but those aren't really fighting battles - I'm talking about fighting a proper war with one of the other factions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Romes campaign start out with a somewhat edged in your favor but still competitive battle against the Etruscans, the Boii and the Suebi pretty much fight to the death by turn 5 due to the position of their starting forces and a lot of other factions like the Arvenni are also built to go after someone ASAP.

In Attila i think the Visigoths start out knees deep in Roman territory with a legion looking over them.

theres plenty of dakka in the last two games dude.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mans posted:

Romes campaign start out with a somewhat edged in your favor but still competitive battle against the Etruscans, the Boii and the Suebi pretty much fight to the death by turn 5 due to the position of their starting forces and a lot of other factions like the Arvenni are also built to go after someone ASAP.

In Attila i think the Visigoths start out knees deep in Roman territory with a legion looking over them.

Well boy jeez, I guess I'm just a massive shitlord for being a human who didn't have omniscient knowledge of which factions had fun starts and just choose what looked interesting to me at the time. I'm real sorry.

Whatever, I'm just talking about my own experience. I still think that introducing mechanics to force you to be at peace is a stupid idea and the wrong direction for total war to take.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ahaha, yeah how dare he provide examples

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VerdantSquire posted:

Well boy jeez, I guess I'm just a massive shitlord for being a human who didn't have omniscient knowledge of which factions had fun starts and just choose what looked interesting to me at the time. I'm real sorry.

Whatever, I'm just talking about my own experience. I still think that introducing mechanics to force you to be at peace is a stupid idea and the wrong direction for total war to take.

i'm giving you examples of factions you can play if you want to live in the danger zone, not berating you on anything.

comedy options: Epirus on Legendary difficulty.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
Epirus on legendary feels a good bit like one of those shooters that have an endless horde mode. never not fighting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's a good thing for Legendary Epirus playthroughs that Greek rosters are well-suited to defensive play, with Epirus' distinguishing feature being that it has elite troops for most of the other unit types when it's time to play offense.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just curious, is Total War Attila worth it for 15 bucks? I was let down by Rome II even after all the patching but I've haven't really looked into Attila too much.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just curious, is Total War Attila worth it for 15 bucks? I was let down by Rome II even after all the patching but I've haven't really looked into Attila too much.

If a fully patched Rome 2 isn't doing it for you, you're probably not going to love Attila. It's a great game though. Here's what I like about it:
1. You can't afford full stacks of elite units. It's not a race to tech up to the biggest, baddest dudes and then just smash them at the enemies (which is what late-game Roman campaigns in Rome 2 turn into)
2. The Huns keep the difficulty level up through most of the campaign, so there's not a snowball effect where you put yourself in a position 30 turns deep where it's impossible to lose. I get bored in the campaign when it feels like my unstoppable juggernaut empire has no chance of losing.
3. The horde/migration mechanics, where you can run an empire on-the-go with no permanent cities is a really neat feature.
4. Morale de-buffs for defenders for setting besieged cities on fire :supaburn::derp:

But, yeah, $15 is a movie ticket + popcorn so I'd say it's worth at least that to me.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Atillas aesthetic keeps me from playing it. I get why they did it, but I can't stand it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey, the first two Total War games are super cheap.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/app/343464/ charlemagne

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh hey, the first two Total War games are super cheap.

Those had the best battles, with the smartest AI. Shame the graphics are loving ancient.

Oh it's just an expack, not a remake of medieval 1. :|

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I kind of like the sprites. Yeah they might not have the glory of MOTION CAPTURE but they can do the full bloody chaotic mess scale wise of a historical battle much better.

Plus Medieval 1 has the best civil war system. lovely family line? side with the other guys!

Also, the Ork Campaign trailer was pretty good. Silly Goblin.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

do you like survival horror games? if so grab the game.,

also there's a charlemagne DLC coming in the near future which seems like a whole new game (but wait for reviews)

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Which of the Rome 2 DLC is worth grabbing in the sale? £.7.50 and a year+ of patching seem about the right time for me to jump on board, but which of the extra tick-boxes are worth the money?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hannibal at the Gates and Cesar in Gaul offer new campaigns of great quality (plus they unlock cool factions like the Lusitani and the Nervii on the regular campaign).

The woman warrior DLC is cool because it allows you to buy female gladiator mercs right from the start which are hilariously strong. I really like the animal DLC too because you get wolf, leopard and crocodile warriors.

The rest are simple faction DLCs. If you fancy playing in those particular areas then buy them. If not you won't miss much. Their cultures and units are used by the AI even if you don't buy them so you don't lose much.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Wooper posted:

Those had the best battles, with the smartest AI. Shame the graphics are loving ancient.

I picked up Medieval 1 from a sale to see if it really was like that, and I'm a bit amazed. After playing for a bit over the weekend, I've seen the AI:

- make me pay for a bridge crossing by crushing my leading heavy infantry with its general and bottlenecking my chaff troops. It probably only lost because it kept some units covering the other bridge, too.
- respond to my oblique order attack by shifting its entire battleline to pull away from my heavy hitters while going for my weaker flank
- send a single horse unit to search for my hidden units in forests, followed by its entire army
- send a single sacrificial shield unit to attack my castle and finish off the weakened defenders with its elite

On the strategy map it makes odd decisions as ever, but I don't even remember when was the last time I felt challenged in these games. The battles ebb and flow and the AI puts up a fight. Also, running a different program in the background lets me play appropriate music in the background even after the game's sweet but short tracks end. I'm playing Total War and I'm having... fun?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There was a dev twitch stream yesterday showing off Charlemagne, apparently they'll be doing one faction a day until the DLC is released.

Looks pretty interesting, they brought back the City/Castle split (as building chains, anyway) and it looks like unit balancing is pretty changed from Atilla. Stronger archers, standardized health, armor much more effective/important and Cav looking generally nerfed but better in extended melee I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also a bug where every infantry unit sounded off with Roman voices, but twcenter won't let that stop them!!!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

madmac posted:

There was a dev twitch stream yesterday showing off Charlemagne, apparently they'll be doing one faction a day until the DLC is released.

Looks pretty interesting, they brought back the City/Castle split (as building chains, anyway) and it looks like unit balancing is pretty changed from Atilla. Stronger archers, standardized health, armor much more effective/important and Cav looking generally nerfed but better in extended melee I guess.

Do you mean standardized as in "every unit of the same category has the same health," or "every unit has the same health, period"?

Because if it's the latter it'll be pretty funny that after their grand experiment in further differentiating units they ended up circling around right back to where they started.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Tomn posted:

Do you mean standardized as in "every unit of the same category has the same health," or "every unit has the same health, period"?

Because if it's the latter it'll be pretty funny that after their grand experiment in further differentiating units they ended up circling around right back to where they started.

The first. Foot units have 100 HPs, Cav has 150, from what I could see. In place of variable health armor values are generally higher and the Designer said armor is about twice as effective as it was in Rome 2/Atilla for the same value. Also, they were showing fairly basic spears with like 70 defense so in general it looks like they're playing around with defensive stats instead of HP values.

Also some quick blather about changing how being outnumbered functioned so Cav was less hosed while pulling out of melee or something. Super heavy Cav moved much slower as well.

Archers in general apparently have higher precision.

He also mentioned they were kinda changing some things around because it would give a different multiplayer experience for people compared to Atilla, for those who want that kind of thing.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 1, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still kinda preferred the 1hp, everything is based on armour system. What they have now works but occasionally I do get a unit that seems to just disintegrate and i'm left wondering if it was because nobody in the unit had any hp left.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

canyoneer posted:

If a fully patched Rome 2 isn't doing it for you, you're probably not going to love Attila. It's a great game though. Here's what I like about it:
1. You can't afford full stacks of elite units. It's not a race to tech up to the biggest, baddest dudes and then just smash them at the enemies (which is what late-game Roman campaigns in Rome 2 turn into)
2. The Huns keep the difficulty level up through most of the campaign, so there's not a snowball effect where you put yourself in a position 30 turns deep where it's impossible to lose. I get bored in the campaign when it feels like my unstoppable juggernaut empire has no chance of losing.
3. The horde/migration mechanics, where you can run an empire on-the-go with no permanent cities is a really neat feature.
4. Morale de-buffs for defenders for setting besieged cities on fire :supaburn::derp:

But, yeah, $15 is a movie ticket + popcorn so I'd say it's worth at least that to me.

These all sound good to me, so I picked it up right before the sale ended.

The only other thing I hated about Rome II was the interface. I get the art design they were going for but it was just awful and the UI was garbage. Watched a review last night that basically showed how much better the UI is now, so that and your points sold it for me. Thanks!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished my first FoS campaign.
Realm divide seems to break the vassal mechanism. On both occasions I tried it they were declared on a few turns later by one of my allies. Didn't matter if I came to their defence or not they ended up declaring on me the next turn. So I was forced to take bad provinces that didn't even pay for the reduction in admin efficiency. A short campaign would have fixed this but then you wouldn't get to play around with late game stuff. Possibly a bug? Or maybe it was caused by the near total collapse of the imperial side. I converted early because I wanted to build the big sword dudes with the intention of going Republic for the end game. Didn't bother in the end though because I was once again negligent in building boats and managing 20+ provinces was already kind of a pain.

Am I imagining things or are Yari Kachi really good early to mid game? I often used them next to line infantry. If I send them after cavalry the AI usually gets caught and then I can roll up their line infantry from the sides. Didn't find much use for most of the other traditional units except maybe the Yari cavalry. Even late game they were useful for taking castles after my artillery was done.

Also artillery is the best.

One final thing I couldn't figure out: Does modernity still have an effect after you fill out development?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Yari kachi are just as good and often better than line infantry early game. In fact, even spear levies can gently caress up line infantry if you're not paying attention. Line infantry only really begins start taking off after researching kneel fire, with suppressing fire delivering the final blow to melee infantry - and even then a unit or two of kachi can be handy during sieges if you need to scale a wall and don't have time to form a firing line.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

genericnick posted:

One final thing I couldn't figure out: Does modernity still have an effect after you fill out development?

you mean the modernisation points doing something else after you get to tier 4? I don't think so

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

genericnick posted:

Finished my first FoS campaign.
Realm divide seems to break the vassal mechanism. On both occasions I tried it they were declared on a few turns later by one of my allies. Didn't matter if I came to their defence or not they ended up declaring on me the next turn. So I was forced to take bad provinces that didn't even pay for the reduction in admin efficiency. A short campaign would have fixed this but then you wouldn't get to play around with late game stuff. Possibly a bug? Or maybe it was caused by the near total collapse of the imperial side. I converted early because I wanted to build the big sword dudes with the intention of going Republic for the end game. Didn't bother in the end though because I was once again negligent in building boats and managing 20+ provinces was already kind of a pain.

When you make a vassal, they start out as either imperial or shogunate, and if they're on the wrong alignment, they immediately go to war. That's what FotS' realm divide is. All shogunate factions immediately declare war on the imperial factions, and vice versa.

It's one of two things that determine a vassals alignment, I'm not sure which. It's either:

-What the clan's alignment was, at the time of their elimination
or
-What alignment is currently dominating the province that you're vassalizing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

When you make a vassal, they start out as either imperial or shogunate, and if they're on the wrong alignment, they immediately go to war. That's what FotS' realm divide is. All shogunate factions immediately declare war on the imperial factions, and vice versa.

It's one of two things that determine a vassals alignment, I'm not sure which. It's either:

-What the clan's alignment was, at the time of their elimination
or
-What alignment is currently dominating the province that you're vassalizing.

And if you go Republican, EVERYBODY immediately declares war on you when vassalized. Fun!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure that current province allegiance is not what decides what faction the vassal joins. So how does this work for the longest setting? Sounds really tedious.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

genericnick posted:

I'm pretty sure that current province allegiance is not what decides what faction the vassal joins. So how does this work for the longest setting? Sounds really tedious.

By the way, I believe vassal loyalty works like this with realm divide:
Vassals you establish pre realm divide will become disloyal after realm divide, usually within a few turns. Vassals you establish after realm divide will remain loyal.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a guide to how Atillia climate change works?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

Everything turns to poo poo.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Something in more detail?

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Promontory posted:

I picked up Medieval 1 from a sale to see if it really was like that, and I'm a bit amazed. After playing for a bit over the weekend, I've seen the AI:

- make me pay for a bridge crossing by crushing my leading heavy infantry with its general and bottlenecking my chaff troops. It probably only lost because it kept some units covering the other bridge, too.
- respond to my oblique order attack by shifting its entire battleline to pull away from my heavy hitters while going for my weaker flank
- send a single horse unit to search for my hidden units in forests, followed by its entire army
- send a single sacrificial shield unit to attack my castle and finish off the weakened defenders with its elite

On the strategy map it makes odd decisions as ever, but I don't even remember when was the last time I felt challenged in these games. The battles ebb and flow and the AI puts up a fight. Also, running a different program in the background lets me play appropriate music in the background even after the game's sweet but short tracks end. I'm playing Total War and I'm having... fun?

It's just ridiculous how - what, 12 years since Rome - the AI is still completely unable to deal with the 3d campaign map. I played my first Attila campaign as the Picts, and as soon as the campaign left the British Isles and moved into mainland Europe, my Caledonian and Ebdanian allies completely broke down. I spent the next 120 turns watching them sails fleets and agents from Scotland to southern France, then turn around and flee back to Britain. Over...and over....and over....

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't have any specific numbers, but the short version is basically this: There's a "primary objective" thing whose goal is always "survive until such and such a time." Whenever you hit that time period, climate change hits, most places in the world become a bit less fertile (excepting a few regions in the south, but even they get hit eventually), and then the new primary objective sets up your next timer. Since fertility is already pretty poo poo in the north, this basically encourages dudes from the poor regions in the north to storm down into the richer southern regions which are basically all Roman. Also it throws a wrench into the economy generally and stops you from getting too comfortable with your pre-existing province setups, forcing you to occasionally regear your provinces to deal with food shortages or budget balancing.

Fertility basically governs how much food/wealth you get out of your farms, in case you're not aware. Since climate change is a thing, most of the time you're better off going with the most fertility-resistant farming lines so that you don't get too hosed over when climate change tanks your existing farms. This usually means goats everywhere. If you get your hands on a very fertile province, though, it can be worthwhile to go with some of the other agricultural lines to squeeze as much use out of the fertility while it lasts.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

Something in more detail?

At the start of the game you have enough fertily to sustain yourself on money making and fertility based farms, as time goes on you'll have less food and so you'll need to switch from money and fertility to hard food values. You'll also need to demolish buildings that cause a high demand in food because boy even Iberia and southern France will be starving by the end game.

It's simple really, as time goes on you get less fertility, with less fertility comes less food and with less food you either move out to more prosperous areas or you switch your infrastructure around so you don't starve.

Fertility goes down every time the "Survive until X" mission is completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can never be bothered so I just hit the goats from the get go. To much busywork to be honest.