Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
What other game series would allow me to use flamethrowers on orcish filth?

Total War rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athropos posted:

Total War rules

The Warhammer mod has fuckin tanks to smash orcs with.

Have fun :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does the new release that's adding Skaven + Tomb Kings have an English translation/a site to download it from that doesn't look like Russian mobsters are going to steal all my banking information yet?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Athropos posted:

Total War rules

Was having a lot of fun playing as Mordor but now any battle I play I get a CTD :(. Had anything similar?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I present to you the baddest man ever to be drafted into a Japanese infantry levy from my current Very Hard domination campaign in Fall of the Samurai:

It came down to this unit of garrison levy infantry with about ~30 men left, and the enemy General with ~20. I pretty much gave up hope and accepted losing the settlement, so I was pretty shocked when the victory screen popped up. I zoomed in to see this lone motherfucker, the last survivor of every single defender, unloading his rifle into the cowardly backs of the five or so bodyguard left alive who were running away from him. Dreams do come true, and if I knew his name it'd be pasted on the prow of the former HMS Warrior.

Shogun is the title that I know the least about historically/had the least interest in, but I just can't stop going back, especially to Fall of the Samurai because it's such an amazing distillation of the Total War series.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope you promoted this guy to a general and adopted him into your family.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I would if I could have, but I think that option only fires in Shogun if the peasant-leader of a force without a general survives a heroic victory. Since it was a garrison unit he didn't even stick around, he just melted away back to him home town until he's needed again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Generation Internet posted:

I would if I could have, but I think that option only fires in Shogun if the peasant-leader of a force without a general survives a heroic victory. Since it was a garrison unit he didn't even stick around, he just melted away back to him home town until he's needed again.

Sounds like a badass Ronin style hero to me. Good for him.

But yeah, FOTS is awesome and such a shame as I still think a large scale1840-1900 era Total War could work.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sounds like a badass Ronin style hero to me. Good for him.

But yeah, FOTS is awesome and such a shame as I still think a large scale1840-1900 era Total War could work.

It would probably best fit the 'total war' aspect of the title given the industrial scale of the killing. Man that idea sounds amazing now the more I think about it if they did it on an Empire scale. You could do the ACW, Crimea, the Zulu Wars, any number of smaller conflicts. It's seriously fertile ground for this genre.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The railway system from FOTS was pretty awesome and I do hope it returns if they ever go for an Industrial era setting.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I also think that naval battles in FotS are probably the best in the series, especially since they can actually have a real impact on the land campaign through bombardment, making it more meaningful to actually coordinate between land and sea. I never actually played enough R2 or Attila to see if the naval stuff there was any better, though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

A pity, its still the most badass peasant this side of Japan.

I also think that naval battles in FotS are probably the best in the series, especially since they can actually have a real impact on the land campaign through bombardment, making it more meaningful to actually coordinate between land and sea. I never actually played enough R2 or Attila to see if the naval stuff there was any better, though.

Well, you see, in the early days of Rome II, the distinction between land and sea was kinda blurry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPOveavO64

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Total War: Crimea would be a bloodbath where you suffer 50% Attrition when encamped and then 200% attrition rates when on the march.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Thus leading to the 'Bureau of Ordinance -> War Department' reform event chain as the British. And I mean who here hasn't accidentally pulled a Union Fredericksburg or a British Isandlwana? :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is basically Empire Total War 2, the 19th Century. And it would be awesome. Franco-Prussian Wars with massive railroad infrastructure, the Civil War, Crimea, and a migration system like Attila to colonize Western North America.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Your main objective as the British is to capture the walls of Sevastopol first, which never happens as the French do it first and you lose the campaign by default no matter what.

Oh, and Lord Raglan occupies the position usually reserved for the Pope and has no idea what is going on and just suggests the dumbest things all campaign. He then dies of cholera just after you lose as well.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You interact with them in exactly the same way, so you can sabotage Serbs, Scots, or Natchez by giving them "firewater"

So uh you can sabotage Scots with scotch? I can't decide if that's amusingly terrible or actually makes a lot of sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For those goons who wanted ASIA TOTAL WAR a non CA challenger steps up to the plate on Early Access

I wonder how many of these games will show whilst CA focuses on Warhammer?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

feedmegin posted:

So uh you can sabotage Scots with scotch? I can't decide if that's amusingly terrible or actually makes a lot of sense.

It is not a typo.

The battles in this look loving massive. Am I seeing multi-hex armies that you zoom in to fight with?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's turn-based, so that's a pretty huge difference right there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Also the units on the tactical map seem to be blocks of 8 but controlled as a single unit.

Look at how all the formations are exactly the same and each block has 1 banner.

EDIT: some of the screens are different so idk anymore

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Mazz posted:

Also the units on the tactical map seem to be blocks of 8 but controlled as a single unit.

Look at how all the formations are exactly the same and each block has 1 banner.

EDIT: some of the screens are different so idk anymore

Neat looking game, but it seems like it'll scratch a different itch than Total War real time tactics/turn based strategy.

I'm super curious where CA is going to go after Warhammer in terms of setting. I think right now I'm more a fan of the gunpowder games, even if I know in my heart that we won't be getting TOTAL WARTM: Victoria.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They say they wouldn't do Medieval 3.....which hopefully won't stop them from adding a Medieval early start in that Early Modern Pike & Shot focused Total War now, If not Empire 2.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I really really really hope this doesn't end up bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its got R.T. Smith and John Carline working on it. smith was apparently the project lead on m:twII and worked on the other games before that in various programming and design roles and carline was an artist for the earlier games. so that gives at least a bit of hope

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

They say they wouldn't do Medieval 3.....which hopefully won't stop them from adding a Medieval early start in that Early Modern Pike & Shot focused Total War now, If not Empire 2.
CA is kinda stuck in a bind, because they basically are just chasing engine upgrades for older games at this point because that's what their audience wants. They either focus in on really tight periods of history (temporally and geographically) and get reamed for not making a big scale game or make a large scale game and it comes out too unfocused. Or they do Warhammer and piss the history crowd off but I guess that's fine.

CA kinda has to reach into the lesser known pop history period stuff IMO but then that just turns most people's eyes over in their sockets I'm guessing.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

They say they wouldn't do Medieval 3

Source? All I can remember for this is one comment along the lines of "our next game won't have a '3' in the title" several years ago. I'm not aware of any reason to believe there won't be a Medieval 3, although it could easily be a ways off with three Warhammer titles on the horizon.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things i want in the future.

A new medieval game wtih a gigantic map that can properly show duchies, counties, fiefs and an accompanying vassal system (basically a simplified CK with sexy battles).

A good enough engine to allow for "Ceasar in Gaul" or "Hannibal at the Gates" style map detail but of the entire traditional Euro-Asian map.

Lord of the Rings. It's got to be made.

A proper focus on multiplayer. More than two player campaign mode, ability to spectate battles\control AI armies, the whole thing.

Dominions 5 Total War :pcgaming:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mans posted:

A new medieval game wtih a gigantic map that can properly show duchies, counties, fiefs and an accompanying vassal system (basically a simplified CK with sexy battles).

After Rome II I'm not sure I want anything resembling a detailed and complicated campaign map system.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well complexity is one thing. Rome 2 was overwrought, fiddly, anal retentive, micromanagement. i have no clue how they decided it was a good system compared to their simple-but-conductive management in prior games. the whole building chain / constant upgrades and unlocks style of development is a pretty uninteresting thing to somehow gently caress up as is.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Is Darthmod any good for Empire? I just finished a domination/very hard FotS campaign, and I'm in the mood for another shooty TW. I don't really feel like vanilla Empire, though, and I don't know if any of the overhauls are any good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is Darthmod any good for Empire? I just finished a domination/very hard FotS campaign, and I'm in the mood for another shooty TW. I don't really feel like vanilla Empire, though, and I don't know if any of the overhauls are any good.

Apart from the annoying menu music, it's alright, especially if you like ridiculously huge battles with 400 man units. I'm sticking with Imperial Splendour because it mostly fixes up the stuff that was broken in vanilla Empire while still providing a good scale.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the link to Oriental Empires, not really interested in the early access buy but I'll definitely keep an eye out for when it goes gold.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
It would be awesome if CA took a cue from Paradox and started doing paid DLC fleshing-out-the-game mechanics and content updates similar to the CK2 and EU4 series. This way they could justify time spent fixing broken features and continually polish one game.

Faction unlocks leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and I'm not a fan of the smaller scale focused campaigns. The grand scale of the typical Total War game is what draws me to the series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I agree, I am much happier to pay for content and feature expansion DLC rather than 'Here, we actually bothered to give these units DETAIL!' DLC.

Chocobo posted:

Thanks for the link to Oriental Empires, not really interested in the early access buy but I'll definitely keep an eye out for when it goes gold.

No problem, I am incredibly sad combing through early access looking for my white whale (a Napoleonic themed RPG) so if I see anything Total War goons would like, I'll post it here. Weirdly enough, I stumbled across a game which is a multiplayer/single player with bots based on the Zulu War of 1879. I labeled it rascist in my head, but saw you can also play as the Zulu. Slightly rascist and possibly unbalanced?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from the annoying menu music, it's alright, especially if you like ridiculously huge battles with 400 man units. I'm sticking with Imperial Splendour because it mostly fixes up the stuff that was broken in vanilla Empire while still providing a good scale.

Thanks for the Imperial Splendor namedrop, I've been playing that and it's really loving good. I'm actually enjoying pretty much every aspect of the game, and the naval battles are scratching a new itch that's coming from playing so much Naval Action lately.

I really hope CA does something on a stupid big scale again, I went from a Prussia campaign to a Britain campaign in IS and the difference between European and North American conflicts is massive and refreshing. I haven't even done anything in Africa, the Middle East, or India yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Total War games on sale. How's Napoleon on the mod scene?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I picked up Fall of the Samurai and all the DLC on the sale. It's pretty good fun so far but I think I'm not very good at army management, I have large armies of line infantry and artillery that pretty much slaughters anything the AI puts against it, even if they're twice the size of mine. On the other hand my trade routes are constantly being raided by sea and I don't have any boats. I just finished conquering eastern Japan and sided with the Emperor, so now I'm at war with all of Japan and I think maybe I should have held off a little and consolidated.

Any tips for a new player? Should I be increasing combat difficulty to make it a little less ridiculous?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously, build your navy. Your Navy can do shore bombardment which is some fantastic artillery support. It also protects your precious trade routes and with a decent Navy you can auto combat swat down all the lovely commerce raiders messing with you.

Also, when you have boats go seize the Island near the western part of Japan with the gold mines. Then, get the HMS Warrior and build a single Ironclad fleet and roll out.

Oh, and invest in railways and get those carriages full of gattling guns rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like the description of the Warrior as a "floating death star". Solo entire fleets err'day