Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
My Total Wat experience is frozen at MTW2 (Stainless Steel) and RTW (Roma Surrectum 2). Did Empire ever get a mod that made it good? Does Napoleon have a pure sandbox mode or am I stuck on timed missions to do blah blah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Plavski posted:

To be honest though, any game with the modding capabilities of RTW would be welcome. The current trend of locking everything down needs to be stopped.

What is their problem anyway? On TWC, Rome and MTW2 forums are still busy as hell because of modders. I own ~4 copies of Rome and two copies of MTW2 because of mods. Is it really that hard for them to grasp the concept? I just don't get the hostility this one company seems to have. But I don't own a single copy of Empire, Napoleon or Shogun because of it.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've played everything from Medieval 2 onwards now, i'm thinking about going back and picking up Rome to see what all the fuss was about.

Do it. Honestly the best in MTW2 mods (Stainless Steel) is just a shadow of where RTW went in RTR, EB (never played but obviously well loved) and Roma Surrectum. I'd call it the best modded game in history.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Huh. Looks like those Roman units were ripped straight from Roma Surrectum. It can only improve the vanilla game I guess.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

If you're playing Stainless Steel, make sure "Show AI Moves" (or whatever it is) is OFF in options. That should reduce turn time substantially.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started Medieval 2, and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. One thing though. WHAT THE gently caress POPE?! I can never attack more then 1-2 cities before I have to stop and declare a ceasefire, but then France attacks me, I counter by moving a giant loving block into Paris, and the Pope tells ME to stop all hostilies or be excommunicated? gently caress you very much.

Park a diplomat next to Rome and give the Pope 500-1000 florins every turn. Your papal regard will remain the tops and threats to excommunicate will never be carried out. Also, every time someone else attacks you, their regard will fall a bit. Eventually, they will be excommunicated and you can annihilate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Which of the good Rome mods is the simplest? I just installed total realism only to start a game, find out that I begin with like 15 different holdings all with some weird new goverernment system and immediately closed the game. I just want a mod that makes the AI actually somewhat challenging/fixes some of the nonsensical units like "attack dogs that can beat 2x their number in battle hardened roman legionnairies," gently caress.

Dunno about that but steer clear of Roma Surrectum for now. The current build (2.5) is kitchen sinkier than usual and they've got some really bad scripting issues. Europa Barbarbarbar seems really popular, you might give it a shot.