Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

At 588 you can almost certainly improve massively, like double you rating massively, by forcing yourself to check "am I hanging any peices" before you make any move.

Its a very good habit to get into that never stops being the right thing to do, you just get much quicker and more intuitive about it, but you have to start somewhere.

Add in, is my opponent hanging any pieces right now? And do them religiously and meticulously and you'll increase more rapidly than anything else you can do right now.

If you want to supplement it with some off the board stuff, go ham on easy tactics until you close your eyes and see knight forks and skewers in your breakfast cereal.

I'd avoid the ones like lichess puzzles because they are random as hell, I would probably also avoid multiple move tactics and make sure I can nail every single 1 move tactic quickly and accurately because I guarantee you they are occurring in your games and you are missing them (or the alternative you are offering them to your opponent repeatedly) - and likely your opponents are missing them most of the time too.

Being careful and getting a good, even just 1 move, tactical vision will see you much higher and give you a really solid basis to build off.

If you want to do end games, don't get fancy, just make sure you know how to end a game with rook and king and call it good for now. Pick 1 new endgame thing per 100 rating point barrier or some other slow pace. Probably king vs king and pawn as your second.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Psleepmeds posted:

you can alter the depth but I think you need a premium account to analyse more than one game a day which sucks.

A real gangster just copies pgn to lichess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

A real gangster just copies pgn to lichess.

This but purchased version of Komodo.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

At 588 you can almost certainly improve massively, like double you rating massively, by forcing yourself to check "am I hanging any peices" before you make any move.

I'm a little under a thousand in lichess blitz, so still a rank beginner. Even at that level I'd say my games rarely reach the stage of "endgame with near-even chances". Usually easy tactical mistakes in the midgame are decisive. In the 500s it's probably "hanging piece" tactical mistakes, just like you say.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

BUG JUG posted:

After 250 games on chess.com I am rated 588, my record is 110-129-11. I'm playing primarily London when I'm white, and caro-kahn when black.

Things I need to work on: endgames. I blow so many games in endgames. Also board vision. Those are my big two weaknesses right now. I can usually hold my own in the opening and midgame but endgame it all falls apart.

Any good resources for this for a novice?

When you talk about blowing endgames, what sort of troubles are you having? Is this stuff like converting mates with KBB v K? Or is it with a few more pieces still on the board? It would help to know what sort of mistakes are happening.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Oh lots of responses. Thank you all!

I think yeah after going back and doing some board analysis of my last few games there are a number of hung pieces I missed -- both my own and my opponents -- so I think that might just be where I start. Get back to doing chess.com puzzles to get my eye in as it were.

I do have a chess.com premium membership and analyze all my games, though I feel like I'm missing something in doing so on my phone. I should probably do so on my desktop to get a better feel for what the computer is suggesting (you can't see the computer line in mobile as far as I can tell for their recommended moves).

As far as failing to convert endgames....more like it'll be down to a pawn endgame and I will just miscalculate where exactly I should be placing my king and my opponent will invariably know the right move to capitalize on. Or I'll fail to convert mates on a complex board. Or fail to see mate coming until oops it's forced everywhere. I can post screens later when I'm not at work.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

At your level, I'd council against leaning on the computer too hard. It will only catch if there was a better line, it won't tell you whether or not you should've been expected to see that line, or what exactly went wrong. If you're just using it to catch when you might've hanged some pieces that's one thing, but I dunno about using it much further.

As for basic king-pawn endgame stuff, it sounds like you might be able to get something out of Silman's endgame course. See if you can't get it from the library. The section on pawn endgames will go over stuff like the 'rule of the square' (a quick way to tell if your king can catch a passed pawn), and basic structural stuff.

But yeah, blundering pieces is basically a symptom of a lack of board awareness. That's the sort of thing you just develop over time by playing and doing puzzles. I should note that if you want to do puzzles, it can help to focus on particular themes. After all, chess is a game of cognitive efficiency, and you develop board awareness by becoming familiar with certain regularities which let you easily organize and understand the board.* So working on forks will specifically help your brain become familiar with the sorts of patterns where a piece is vulnerable to a fork. Same with hanging pieces, discovered attacks, pins, and so on.

*Thematic familiarity is really important. There are all sorts of studies which suggest the same basic pattern, which is that better players do much better than worse players on puzzles that have familiar (or otherwise normal) positions, but that gap significantly disappears with weird or highly abnormal positions.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

leela got better just by playing against the computer a whole lot

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

leela got better just by playing against the computer a whole lot

Literally nailing children to the chair in front of the computer until they have played against Stockfish one hundred million times.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If that is what chess requires to advance..........

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Speaking of human vs computer chess, of course realistically humans have no chance to win. Have we also passed the point where the best humans have no chance to draw? Let's say, against Stockfish, on good desktop hardware, with endgame tablebases that fit on a consumer solid state drive.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Captain von Trapp posted:

Speaking of human vs computer chess, of course realistically humans have no chance to win. Have we also passed the point where the best humans have no chance to draw? Let's say, against Stockfish, on good desktop hardware, with endgame tablebases that fit on a consumer solid state drive.

humans can still draw, and win against desktop computer stockfish, by playing well prepared weird opening gambits with a payoff beyond the evaluation limits of the engine. im p sure

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

humans can still draw, and win against desktop computer stockfish, by playing well prepared weird opening gambits with a payoff beyond the evaluation limits of the engine. im p sure

no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok, maybe not anymore

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Grandmasters are still competitive in odds matches. (Of course I can beat Stockfish if you spot me an extra queen or two.) But a skim of the Wikipedia article looks like a serious match with a full power computer hasn't happened since the mid 2000s. Anti-computer tactics were a thing, but not viable anymore in 2021.

But could Magnus hunker down and draw, even one time in ten? That's what I'm curious about.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
imma say no

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Well according to elo probability Magnus has roughly a 2.3% chance of beating stockfish.

But that's based on human players who make human mistakes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Have there been any notable matches of top players vs. computer engines since the Kasparov/Deep Blue ones?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Have there been any notable matches of top players vs. computer engines since the Kasparov/Deep Blue ones?

There were a few. I feel like the most recent one involved Mickey Adams, but that's gotta be about 15 years ago now.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hello thread. Chess has become my latest "obsessive interest that will probably last a few weeks or months before I move on". I last played seriously at school when I was like 14 or something. If anyone wants to play some correspondence games on chess.com my username is Maugrimmau.

For level, I can beat the 1500-rated bot some of the time but I am prone to lapses in concentration and dumb mistakes.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Maugrim posted:

I am prone to lapses in concentration and dumb mistakes.

Welcome to the club, friend!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Carbolic posted:

Welcome to the club, friend!

"No one is good at chess"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Fair

I'd not heard of the London system so I'm looking at that. Openings tend to slip out of my head like water though. I probably need to pick a couple and practice them for a while. Ruy Lopez was my standard back in the day and I didn't even remember it was called that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

learn the traxler

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Forced repetition? I'd rather get mated:

I blundered -3.0 worth of initiative by cashing in my light squared bishop in for nothing, immediately had that "I know I screwed up bad and regret my actions" moment, & then found out I still had the draw so I snapped back to feeling good. Then I felt confused because the king started walking...

he blocked with bishop on g5 so qh6# was especially aesthetic. This was a very weird game that took me out of book really fast -- it started as a qgd but I was forced into having an isolated d pawn and then he played weird stuff like qe2 at some point and g3 on move 11.

fart simpson posted:

learn the traxler
The actual main line response to the fried liver is super fun. Especially at low ratings because you know you're about to body someone when they burn time on a think after na5 or c6 hits the board.

Although when you play main line vs fried liver as a low rated player you get hit with weird attempts and sidelines you've never seen before like qf3 and they require precise play to stop. I'd still highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys chaos.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 22, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The traxler is a statement

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Control Volume posted:

The traxler is a statement

Excellent avatar/post combo

And thanks, it's been fun reading about all these weird lines I didn't know existed

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Online correspondence chess tournaments are wild. I just advanced to the fourth round of a tournament that started 27 August 2020. 3-day time controls anticipating that this round will last at least until October, and if I make it out of this round could very well be playing in 2022.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

butros posted:

Online correspondence chess tournaments are wild. I just advanced to the fourth round of a tournament that started 27 August 2020. 3-day time controls anticipating that this round will last at least until October, and if I make it out of this round could very well be playing in 2022.

nerd.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I started playing again as a pandemic hobby, and I knew there had to be a thread for chess here.

When I started playing 15+10, I opened at about 1100 and was going back and forth from 1100 to 1200 until something clicked and I shot up to 1300. My high water mark is 1350, but I've since slipped back into the high 12s. It feels good seeing my rolling average go up a couple hundred points, but I'm trying to figure out to break the next plateau. Obviously as a ~1300, I'm still losing my share of games from hanging pieces or ill-advised captures, but the one I'm really trying to work on is moving faster and thinking less in the opening/middle game without falling into the first set of problems. I've had a lot of frustrating games lately where I have a big advantage, but get time-crunched into blunders because I can't find the win after spending too much time trying to find best moves earlier in the game.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

butros posted:

Oh man that's child's play compared to traditional correspondence sites.

I started a couple of multi-stage tournaments in 2017. One in August, one in October. Rd 2, Semi-finals started Nov and Dev 2019. I'm still waiting for the Finals to start.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Do you guys have any of your favorite chess streamers or other YouTube tutorials? My bullet rating has jumped like 300 points since I started watching Eric Rosen’s channel and understanding aggressive openings and gambits that can work under time controls.

I can also finally defend against the Fried Liver and the Halloween gambit which previously gave me a ton of trouble.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I like Daniel Naroditsky. His "speedrun" videos (actually long plays) have been instructive and he takes pains to explain every move he's making.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Daniel (DanielNaroditsky) is my favorite too. He's super thorough without being too dry or long-winded (not that dryness should be much of an issue if you're actively seeking chess streams). He's obviously super smart, but comes across as genuinely relatable without feeling like he's working a character. I feel like he combines the best attributes of all the other main streamers.

Levy (Gothamchess) has a poo poo ton of content, most of it is pretty good. My favorite content from him is his easy-to-digest recaps of high-level events to learn about the world's best players. His "win at chess" series is decent, and his new "lose at chess" series is hilarious. Sometimes he comes across as trying too hard, but he generally keeps things pretty light at the expense of not going very deep into most of his explanations. His endgame tutorials are his best and most useful instructive content.

Jerry (chessnetwork) has some killer breakdowns of classic GM games and world championship matches. Doesn't upload much new content on that front, unfortunately. Also, while those are very interesting to watch, they're unlikely to be useful if you're sub-1500 looking to improve your own game like Daniel and Levy.

Hikaru and Alireza are fun to watch on occasion if you want to watch absolute top guys destroy people, but they aren't in the business of explaining things in a way that will help beginner/intermediate players

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
These are useful recs thanks, I’ve been working my way through Jerry’s beginner to chess master series but lost patience and skipped through the four videos in a row on rook vs pawn endings as I figure there are larger deficiencies in my game that are more important to correct. The ones on pawn structure and tactics have been super enlightening though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Blind Pineapple posted:

Hikaru and Alireza are fun to watch on occasion if you want to watch absolute top guys destroy people, but they aren't in the business of explaining things in a way that will help beginner/intermediate players
Alireza's brother and coach/ex-coach (I don't follow close enough to know) frequently streams on twitch on the alireza account. Sometimes he goes over studies, book content, etc.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Somehow I'm interested in learning chess again despite never really getting past the newbie stage. I'm basically at the layer 1 where I'm trying to develop my pieces without hanging any, but also walk face-first into forks and wind up losing pieces anyway.

I'm trying to start by learning more endgame patterns as well, because nothing tilts me more than being up a few pieces and then misplaying in the endgame.

Is there a goon chess discord or anything of the like?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I'm really enjoying Scandinavian Qxd5 Nc3 Qa5 variation. The computer says it's +1 for white when playing it but I'm sub-1000 on Chess.com so it really doesn't add up to much. Anything to look out for with this variation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I know a couple of people here have picked up coaches online. Do you remember where you looked, and do you have an idea of what the going rates are? I'm thinking about looking to pick up a student or two.