Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are like 1001 and one chess puzzles slash theory apps on the android store, any of them worth a look?

My standard is "knows how to move the pieces" and "has a book about openings" if that is guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

1001 puzzles as in the Fred Reinfeld book? Or some other one?

Oh crap, I meant "1001 puzzles" as in "there are a lot of them"

I didn't realise there was an actual book called 1001 Puzzles :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have been working through New York 1924 and I feel like I am actually following along, and really improving as a player when I play now.

Its a great book. As an amateur I appreciate how well the games have been anotated.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Time pressure.txt

:suicide:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

He managed not to push his central pawns into wide open space for 40 moves.

What are we exactly looking at? You were black and were timepressured into a mate?

Sorry. I uploaded the wrong photo.

I as white got in this position black responds ...f4.

My next move is Nxf4??

I didn't even see that I was at mate with Qh3 because I had like 3 seconds on the clock.

I feel like such an idiot.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 25, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Fide Moscow Grand Prix finished today. For what it's worth There were two people tied for 1st going into the final day. One peaced out after 13 minutes for the draw, and the other Ding Liren, managed to beat a guy who played junior chess in Soviet Union with Kasparov.

That's professional chess, I guess?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played a couple of practice games against the computer, and found the following move and I felt really good about it. And then Fritz gave me a ! and now I feel super embarrassed about a computer program telling me I did a good job and being chuffed about it as well.

15. e6!

My thinking was 16. Rxb4 and then Qa4.

I also didn't see an alternate 16. Ne5 discovered attack on a8.

Basically I'm bad at chess but fluked a good move.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Altibox Norway tournament kicks of tommorow with Blitz games. Has a strong field so should be interesting and hopefully better than Moscow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Aronian just beat Carlsen in an outstanding game.

Youtube is agog with hot takes on that match.

By hot takes, I mean, insightful computer assisted commentary.

I'm sure that the level of play is beyond most of us, but even I a lovely beginner can appreciate the "beauty" in the bishop sacrifice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Just watch Svidler's analysis, he's pretty great.

Yup I really enjoy his completely frazzled 30 minute breakdown.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God I love the way they grab the winner and loser and rub the loser's face in it for the benefit of us, the viewing audience.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Vladimir, you really hosed that up big-time, thoughts?"

Hand Knit posted:

e: A while ago I remember having a discussion with some friends that Carlsen really hadn't had a big influence on openings. Whereas most previous champions had an opening that was 'theirs,' Carlsen didn't really have that. I think he might be able to claim the Giuoco Piano now.

Does "Colle System: Still bad" count?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to curse it, but it's looking like we're gonna get a bunch of results again today.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I'm taking away from this tournament is I really like Nigel Short.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

If you want him to like you back there's one really very simple trick:

Be a woman between the ages of 14 and 20

:stare:

Oh dear.

edit: And now he's started talking about how men are better chess players.

Okay can I take that back?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 15, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The easiest is probably shave off a tiny bit of time, or extend the first time control to account for increased opening knowledge.

But I understand the want for continuing "the legacy" or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Counterpoints: stalemates are cool as hell and such a rule change would probably murder any ambitious play since a lot of endgames would change from "worse but holdable" to dead lost.

e: poisoned pawn in Caruana-Nakamura as Naka tries to win

Rumblings of bad sportsmanship as Nakamura doesn't resign on the spot and instead gets to a bishop and 3 pawns against a knight(!!!).

Meanwhile Vladimir loving Kramnik wins again, this time in 20 moves.

edit: The Kramnik thing is interesting, he's talked about at his age he just has bad days where he can't do anything but others he can still crush it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

Great article!

SHould receive How to reassess your chess by Sillman. Used to be the book to read when making a comeback to chess. Having major rating anxity and keep not playing to favor studies. Oh well. Just need to builld my confidance. I play great moves but overall I always play dumb moves especially in the opening. I'm wired for bullet I need to reprogram myself.

I've been watching a lot of chessnetwork and John Bartholomew. ANyone goon recommended chess streamers that does classical time controls and analysis?

The aforesaid Chess 24 is good for game reviews. The Blitz stuff with Jan is great, even though it's blitz, because he's a monster or openings (Part of Magnus' last WC team? He's an expert on some opening), and he'll often drop some interesting things while he plays. Also because he's so good on youtube I didn't realise how good Svidler is as an actual player until I kept seeing him in annotated game books!

Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis has a tone of game analysis of old games, as well as generic lecturers on topics.

Speaking of books, I got another Kasparov book in the mail, Modern Chess Volume 2: Kasparov v Karpov 75-85. I'm currently working through the first match, 2 down 46(?) to go! I know it's not ~proper learning~ for chess, but I just have fun playing through the games. I had the same with New York 1924, although I did bounce of the "old" style of chess which is why I started reading Kasparov's stuff. With New York 1924 it was just stuff like "oh when I'm down with the first moves of the Ruy, then I start looking for *this* stuff." That really helped with the "what do I do now?" middle-game paralysis that crap players like me used to have. After reading a bunch of games it's more a problem of making the right choice. Which I guess is progress.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 21, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: Magnus getting cranky in a post game interview is good and not bad for the sport of chess.

edit: and for what it is wort the Carlsen/Karjakin game was good TV.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Magnus collapsed on the final day, but eeked out a win at the end so now we're at a playoff.

Man I was unimpressed with this Rapid Grand Tour poo poo to begin with, but now I'm :bandwagon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played 1d4, and my opponent played the Kings Indian. A defense that I have lost more games in than I wager my opponent has had hot dinners.

I get to the point where I am about to head into the exchange variation and I hover thinking "Wait, Didn't I read that the exchange variation is for cowards?" *plays move anyway*

*wins a tremendously boring game with 2 pawn advantage*

:whatup:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carlsen did a thing :stare:

White to "move"

That is such a brutal position that even I can find the mate in 2 first time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You know when you're playing blitz online and your opponent makes a move in the opening that is completely random you're all "hmm okay I think you might be bad at chess."

Magnus v MVL

1. c4 e5 2. e3 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nc6

4. g4

White goes down 2 pawns in the opening/early midgame. White wins.

Black to move and there are no good moves.

To spare you words and words of poo poo tier chess player analysis i'll keep it brief: After the sortie of the f pawn He pushes his d pawn up the board to d6, develops his pieces in a way that stops black from doing anything but shuffle his queen around, and then cranks up the pressure and capitalises on MVL's error and wins.

It's actually kind of beautiful how he collects all his pieces king-side while gaining tempo. He then plays a really great blitz move that forces MVL to quickly work out the situation. MVL makes a slight mistake which pushes the king towards that d6 pawn and a potential queen mate attack and from there Magnus just gets to a position that will simplify to a completely winning endgame and MVL resigns.

The implementation of such simple strategy of "have more active pieces on the king-side than black" in a high level blitz game makes this game so interesting to me.

1. c4 e5 2. e3 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nc6 4. g4 Bb4 5. g5 Bxc3 6. bxc3 Ng8 7. d4 Qxg5 8. d5 Nd8 9. d6 c6 10. Nf3 Qf5 11. Rg1 Ne6 12. e4 Qxe4+ 13. Be3 Qf5 14. Ng5 Nf4 15. Bxf4 Qxf4 16. Rg4 Qf6
17. Ne4 Qh6 18. Qf3 Nf6 19. Rxg7 Qxg7 20. Nxf6+ Kd8 21. Qf5 Re8 22. Nxe8 Kxe8 23. c5 b5 24. Bd3 f6 25. Ke2 Kf7 26. Rh1 Rb8 27. Kf1 Qg6 28. Qf3 Qh6 29. Rg1 Ba6 30. Qg4 Rd8 31. Rg3 e4
32. Qxe4 Re8 33. Qg4 Bc8 34. Kg2 Qg5 35. Qf3 Qd5 36. Qxd5+ cxd5 37. Bxh7 Re5 38. f4 Re2+ 39. Kf1 Rxh2 40. Bg8+ Kf8 41. Bxd5 Rh8 42. Kf2 Ba6 43. Ke3 Ke8 44. Kd4 Kd8 45. Rg7 Bc8 46. c6 dxc6 47. Bxc6 a5 48. Kc5 1-0

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 2, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

The idea is actually pretty straightforwards — the players are fighting over control of the d5 square, and the g4 push is meant to interfere with black's knight defending it. There are similar ideas in the Slav and the Najdorf. I was talking to Andrew Greet last year and he mentioned that one of the local GMs was even experimenting with something like 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.g4.

God now I see it!!!

6...Ng8 7. d4 Qxg5 8. d5 Nd8 9. d6

Duh!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is it with poo poo tier chess being so in love with the QGA?

I'm kinda mad because I spend so much time reading these Kasparov/Kaprov championship games and i'm not getting a chance to play GGD or Queen's Pawn!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

King Pawn posted:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kasparov-officially-back-as-a-grand-chess-tour-wildcard

Kasparov is my pick for the greatest player ever, so this is pretty neat :)

:woop:

Obviously there are a lot of great chess players in history, but Gary's style is one that really resonated with me at a chessboard as lame as that sounds.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

So are they seeding him as unrated? It would be funnier if they brought out his old rating and just parachuted him in as the world #2.

Yeah, FIDE rapid rating, which as far as I know Gary is unrated in. Also I agree.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Adventures in sub 1000 Chess.com rapid continue.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.d3 Nf6 5.h3 d6 6.Ng5 Be6 7.Bxe6 fxe6 8.Nxe6 Qd7 9.Ng5 O-O-O 10.Nc3 h6 11.Nf3 Nd4 12.Nxd4 exd4 13.Nd5 Nxd5 14.exd5 Rde8+ 15.Kf1 Rhf8 16.c3 dxc3 17.bxc3 Bxf2 18.g4 Re1+ 19.Kg2 Rxd1 20.Rxd1 c6 21.Ba3 h5 22.g5 Qf5 23.Bxd6 Qf3+ 24.Kh2 h4 25.Bxf8 Qg3+ 26.Kh1 Qxh3# 0-1

Hilariously, move 16 is the exact opposite of that endgame example, white allows me to open up the diagonal right onto his king!

I just generally enjoy the game more when there isn't any stupid scholar's mate attacks which always seem to happen at this level. Also, I've given up caring about opening lines, and just focusing on principles. I just play 1 e5 now instead of trying the Sicilian or whatever and i'm having more fun and more success. Chess is fundamentally for me recreation, and a hobby, and I enjoy reading opening theory and reading the 44 game Karpov/Kasparov games so I'm not saying don't do it, I have found you get more out of tactics and general principles at this level.

edit: oh and i'm LordPants on Chess.com if people want to clown on me for fun.

double edit: Hikaru streamed some blitz. I don't know if people need another "affable GM clowns newbs on the internet" stream but he articulates his thoughts out loud so you can see how loving quickly he can process lines, and also he will talk about his wider strategy in the games which I find interesting. Especially when he'll articulate "This move is bad" *10 moves later* "and as you see, because the game opened up now that move is bad, but also you have to think 10 moves ahead but that's what I think about"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqGwt9lvXs

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 16, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Creeping slowly towards climbing out of the very bottom bracket on chess.com blitz.

Now I'm getting to the point where when going over my games I'm only really learning from losses, now that may sound really stupid but for the longest time I could look at a win and go "oh I should have done x y z" and still improve my play, where as my losses were "derp, don't blunder the mate in 1 move". Now my wins are starting to be sound, and now my losses are more constructive "Oh, I missread that combination that put me a piece down which was the difference at the end game".

I'm also playing people now who have an understanding over the endgame meaning I can't assume they'll make a fatal flaw which puts more pressure on my play, I really enjoy the endgame and a little study at a low level really pays off especially for getting stalemates in inferior positions, but now people are able to execute and get the most out of advantages.

Also for what it is worth, I'm obviously not in the same league as Hand Knit but in that goon chess game I have trouble not looking at the position and leaping to a move/strategy straight away like it's a blitz game. I have to slow myself down and actually work out the refutations to my moves. Tough when you play a lot of 10 min blitz/rapid!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Black just played Bf5

White's response?

Rh5!! 22... Qxh5 23. Nd7+ Bxd7 24. Qxh5 and ends up with a Queen for his Rook, with the game slightly simplified.

From the following Chess24 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et3OO2-PhEw

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 21, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

qsvui posted:

Isn't it Queen for Rook AND Knight?

Derp! Yes that was inaccurate language from me.

I still think it's really cool!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gotta qualify for the world championship cycle somehow.

(checks note)

Wait a second...?

Real talk great that Hou Yifan is in it, for previously discussed reasons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played much chess (although I did go over another Karpov/Kasparov draw from 84) since I discovered that loving Goon v Goon correspondence game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Quickpull posted:

I use a very similar approach to draw players under 1200!

same

edit: wanna play on chess.com? If you want to completely change the settings that's fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UnfurledSails posted:

If the White Queen is not watching over f3 Black can mate with Nf3#. So Qa4! attacks the Queen and the b5 Rook, and White cannot save both without getting mated.

That's really neato.

*keeps on playing sub 1200 chess*

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Quickpull posted:

Sure, I'm Quickpull on chess.com

Yes and I'm LordPants, so I said that as I sent the game request to you yesterday. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GMJanGustafsson/status/892717773301977088

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Epic game going on in St Louis.

Rook/Pawn (Aronian) against Rook/Bishop/Pawn (Caruana) endgame.

edit: and that's move 100!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 4, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carlsen just lost a winning position against MVL, (I think?) I didn't see it until it was over.

Also, *checks notes* Algebra Testes was up a piece but blundered into oblivion against Quickpull. Correspondence chess with goons is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dee eight posted:

1. e4 c6
2. c4 d5
So what, anyone just chimes in whenever?
3. cxd5 cxd
yeah sure

Think of it like a leapfrog simul only with 12 or so frogs

1. e4 c6
2. c4 d5
3. cxd5 cxd
4. Bb5+