Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If you're new to chess tanking in bullet is natural, you're basically just clicking random squares and can't reasonably execute checkmate in a lot of situations even from significant material advantage.
I'm also a newer player and my 10+0 rating is like 500 higher than my 5+0 rating, let alone bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think a less annoying way to put it is, 1500 is around median on lichess and though I'm sure some of those are serious dedicated players, most are probably randos (like me!) who haven't necessarily played for years. So even for casual players it's possible to aim higher without committing to putting a lot of study into the game.

This is truer of longer time controls. I mainly play 5+0; I imagine 1500 in bullet is more difficult (certainly it would require a lot more experience IMO just to be able to click reasonable squares in time)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I'm not sure how it works on chess.com but on lichess it stops caring when the position becomes fully winning. I'll have games where it says I made 0 inaccuracies but if you run through the moves I missed mate in 1, etc.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I was playing with the opening explorer on Lichess for the Catalan and stumbled on this game:
https://lichess.org/yXd9NrV3
What happened here? A dual piece blunder from two strong players so early in the opening seems like it would be very rare, but google doesn't turn up any results. Was it a mistranscription?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
While that's true I feel like the really simple blunders fall off well before you reach 2000. So "don't blunder" really just ends up being "git gud at tactics".

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

that's what I like to see when opening up the analysis :getin:
(in seriousness though I think I should switch to playing 10+0 or longer for chess improvement; this was a 5+0 game and both players suffered from temporary blindness)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

tanglewood1420 posted:

Holy mackrel! Did you have a rook hanging for four moves in row before realising or something?

haha exactly that. https://lichess.org/larTusQXGfLk