Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just picked up this game in the past week or so, mostly playing on Chess.com and doing puzzles on Lichess (I tried playing on Lichess but even the lowest rank players seem to obliterate me). Is there any special place for beginner players? I think I am pretty okay for playing about a week in, but I definitely make massive mistakes, for instance being up two rooks, one knight, and one bishop, and getting a draw through repetition five minutes ago because I didn't realise that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the tips and the video recommendation! I've gone on a winning streak today and have climbed into the 700s, going 8/9 today. Seems like the Chess.com community is friendly, I got Scholar's Mated in that one match I lost and my opponent was kind enough to tell me how to recognise and counter it. On the flipside, I also got a ragequit today but that's the only one I've ever had so I will take it.

I do find Chess.com's encouragement hilarious. It'll be like, "You were never in any trouble! Btw, you had 5 Mistakes, 7 Blunders, and 2 Missed Wins."

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 31, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hope it's okay if I post the occasional game, this morning's match was the most interesting I've played all week aka my entire Chess life.

It started with me doing a massive blunder, a triple fork on my Queen and two Rooks.

No big, I will use this opportunity to pin the other Knight to the King, take the attacking Knight, come back and attack. My goal was basically force the Queen to be taken, somehow, all starting with the pin and how the Queen was the only one guarding it.

The opponent tried to dissuade me, first with checking my King, then with moving up pawns to attack my Queen but it was too late, my plan was in action, starting with a fork on their King and Rook.

I was expecting to win the Queen at the end of the exchange, but the opponent refused to put the Queen in harm's way, so I won the game instead.

I feel like there were a few ideas they could've done to mitigate or avoid this situation though. I think if they moved their Rook up one things would be a lot trickier, or if they moved their King away so that the pin isn't on and their Queen and Knight would be free to move again.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ulmont posted:

Even if they had played Nxh1 instead of Nxd1 they would have had an extra tempo to work with as you started your plan.

i skimmed through, but they actually did Nxh1. i went and took their knight, they moved a pawn iirc so i set back up peacefully

i did consider just leaving that knight there at h1 even without taking it even but i hadn't quite figured out the trap by then so took it to be safe

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This felt like a really weird checkmate. Bishop in front, Queen behind, opponent absolutely refusing to put their Bishop or Queen at risk leading to me getting this position.

With this, I just broke into the 800s at Chess.com! Started at 550 or so, whee.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello friends I am up into the 850s now but I am now aware of a crippling weakness which I have entitled Accounting for the Knight, and Then Forgetting: A Tale of Lost Queens and Mates

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: That game felt pretty good, I should see the computer analysis and see what they thought

Analysis:

Me: i'm an idiot

I picked up the Queen a few moves later, but still

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have started playing 3+2 on lichess and my game's improved! From being destroyed by 600s a month ago to now hanging around 1100s. Here's my first Knight move checkmate:

I am trying to learn the Caro Kann when playing as black but I am. Not. Good. At it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

First pawn move checkmate! Though the game itself wasn't that interesting, early opponent blunder meant I was up a second Queen quite quickly.

MorrisBae posted:

Beginner tips

Thanks for posting these, I find it helpful! That winning in 10 moves thing is so true, I need to get more consistently better vs early queens or what someone told me was the Fried Liver.

Down on Lichess to 1050s; they've been putting me with players 100-200 points better than me consistently since the weekend, so feels like I'm drawing bad. The positions tend to be even but I think I've hit the beginner roadblock of "calculating not quite right" and messing up a plan or an exchange sequence.

EDIT: Played a sequence I kind of liked.

I started the exchange from here:

Bishop to E5, Pawn to E5, so I can take the Knight on D5 with the Queen, they respond with Queen takes F5, I take Pawn on E5 with my Knight, and my Knight on E4 gets taken by Rook, which is what I wanted.

From here, it's a check to the King with Knight to F3, and I take the Queen.

There's probably ways to not get into that position in the first place of course, but at my skill level I am quite happy with how this turned out.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 19, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a crash course on how to fight against early offensive Queens because I keep getting wrecked by them :(

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This is the early Queen opening that normally gets me; I've not seen others at my rank. I know the "idea" where basically I force the move to Queen constantly as I develop my pieces, but I don't know the correct line and somehow, I always end up down material enough that it's a losing battle. There's always like one thing unprotected, or I forced to make the Queen move so my board is different and what was protected is not as protected as before, etc.

What is the early unprotected Rook trap? I have definitely been punished by supposedly unprotected pieces but I'm not sure what I look out for.

genericuser posted:

Happy to play some correspondence Artelier if you want to? I'm chilledchess on lichess.

I will take you up on your offer soon!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

An extra point about attacking the queen: you don't have to do it every move. Your priority is developing your own pieces. If you can do that while attacking your opponent's queen that's great, but developing pieces is the priority. You're looking to gain moves, not waste them. And besides, sometimes your opponent's queen is already on a kind of poo poo square, and it's okay to leave them there.

Thank you so much for the Queen tips, but especially this one! Been doing better, going maybe 50/50 now that I don't feel compelled to attack the Queen every time.

Got my first 6 move checkmove. To be fair, the opponent blundered in the opening by just leaving their Bishop to be taken, but still, 6 moves!

Basically in their eagerness to bring the Queen out I get a free Bishop. Then I develop my Knight to f6 so I can bring Bishop to g4 to threaten Queen, expecting them to move to a position to offer a Queen trade.

But they didn't, so instant mate.

--

Edit: THANK YOU FRIENDS

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 26, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pretty sure the board looks like this after the sequence of moves.

So sacrifice own Knight for two pawns to open King area, and also Bishop is pinning the Knight to the Queen.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lichess puzzles are weird. I struggle with some 5 move exchange extravaganza and it's worth like 8 points and others are like (obvious to me) one move and it's worth 15 points. I'm having fun but it makes no sense to me!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there like, a Chess video game that teaches you how to play? I mean like say, courses with traps and patterns and general gameplans and the like. I know I can subscribe to Chess.com but with no regional pricing it is VERY EXPENSIVE. Not sure if there's an equivalent site or something.

If there are none, maybe a book to recommend?

I've reached this weird point in my game where I am playing much better but have a bit of a blind spot to bad moves. Like I can see how to trap a Queen, let's say, but if they put the Queen directly in the path of my Knight, it takes me FOREVER to see it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fart simpson posted:

yes it’s called lichess

I do play Lichess puzzles! But it doesn't really explain anything, just tells me if the move was correct or not. I'm thinking of something like "You should do this or you can't do this move because ______." And it doesn't really tell me about strategy or anything like that either.

XBenedict posted:

Chess tempo has a very nice tactics trainer as well.

Looks like a good Lichess alternative, I'll rotate between them thank you!

Hand Knit posted:

I don't know for sure because I haven't used it, and I'm inherently suspicious of products that makes claims as strong as this one does, but I think this is what Chessable is supposed to be. I suspect that also might not escape the problem of "very expensive."

It does look like the kind of thing I want! I'll nip into the free lessons and see how it goes, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have hit my "career high" with 850 on chess.com and 1200 on Lichess! Woohoo!

But now I have started to run into this corner bishop thing (called Fianchetto I believe) and it is kicking my rear end.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Something "clicked" in me for Chess this past week and I'm getting much better at Lichess puzzles. Climbed from about 1200+ to 2000.

Well. Almost.

Why yes, I'm staring at the current puzzle trying to figure it out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone help explain this puzzle to me?

The correct solution is to Queen in, force the King to move back, and then take the light squared Bishop.

But...why can't the Bishop just take the Queen?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I see, that clears it up, thanks! There are so many puzzles that I just stare and stare and stare and try to understand why the pieces move like that. Still not so good at seeing indirect threats, like "Oh if this piece moves here mate might be coming, so the enemy Queen/Rook must (seemingly poorly) block it."

--

I've never pulled off a 2 move checkmate, but I will take a 3 move resignation.

I credit this to all the people pages and pages ago who taught me how to handle early Queen attacks. Thank you all! :)

--

This was quickly followed up by a 9 move checkmate. I'm sure these aren't that impressive but I do like that I'm identifying patterns better. Clear sign of progress!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 15, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Khorne posted:

Puzzle solving tips

Thank you so much! I'm finding a recurring theme to the puzzles I fail nowadays is "Correct individual moves, wrong order" and sometimes "Two or more separate ideas that go in a sequence, normally ending in mate or up material a lot." The process of elimination definitely helps, but I think I'm going to take the "drop it and move on quickly" idea because sometimes I definitely stare way too long trying to suss out the solution.

In other news, trapping Queens that insist on moving forward and never moving back is fun.

---

This felt aesthetic

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 19, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anyone know what this is supposed to be for White? Kept pushing the pawn on the side while I just went King's Indian.

Guy resigned and left in the following position. No idea what they were going for. I used a series of checks to save my Bishop after a Bishop trade, brought in a Knight check to protect the other Bishop near me, and then put the Knight to protect the B ishop in enemy territory while being protected by my pawn and blocking the Rook to my other Bishop.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Proud of this one since I managed to trick my opponent into losing their queen, with less than 20 seconds on the clock for me, in what felt like a bad position. It's not forced by any means but I'm still happy about it.

White to move, I "attack" the Queen with my Knight.

Opponent is like pfft whatever, check and I'll take the Knight.

But after I move and they take the Knight, they're right where I wanted them to be

And then I converted into a victory by resignation

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just found out about "Draw by insufficient material in timeout" and it cracked me up for a bit.

Chess: Just a lone king against a king, two rooks, a pawn, and a queen, but they lost on time. So you win. But you can't actually win. Draw.

Chess: *adds one pawn* Yo you could've totally had that man you win.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today I had my first ever "Opponent pins own Queen to King during attack."

After takes takes...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Been playing on and off (off because my God this game can be bad for my mental well being) but today I made a "comeback" from this:

I say "comeback" because I feel like I definitely should've lost that game. Down a whole piece, and all I could do was harass the King while picking up the odd pawn with check. Tried to force a draw by repetition but they slowly walked the King from the corner to the middle and back to the corner.

The key moment was here, when they decided to block with the pawn instead of with the Queen (to avoid a draw):

I thought I saw forced checkmate from there, so I moved Queen to D6, they have to block with pawn to G6, and I mate:

...of course, I don't think this was forced at all and if they just...didn't walk the King all the way to the corner like this, I would've probably lost. Still kinda happy that I managed to see a 3 move sequence from an opponent blunder though! I'm getting better!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The most obvious advantage to Lichess is the site is completely free, no strings attached for any of its features. I also find its general interface for getting into a game, and being in a game, more intuitive.

There's players on it at every time of the day, just like chess.com. Couldn't hurt to play on both really.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: *comes up with elaborate multi-check plan to discovered attack into capturing the Queen

Analysis, at the start of the plan:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fart simpson posted:

well, did it work?

Yes but halfway through Analysis was like Why Queen When Forced Checkmate is right there in 11 moves?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This is my high score so far for Analysis

...yes, this followed me doing a losing move

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The start and end of a fun 11 move checks to checkmate sequence. Probably not forced but eh, I'll take it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Well. This is a checkmate.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still relatively weak but I'm happy I spotted this sequence after I tempted the opponent's Queen to take g2:

From here use the light Bishop to give a check on c4, must block with Rook. Take Rook, King takes back.

Then put Rook here to make the Queen move to the safe square this turn, h3.

Except, next turn...

Getting there! Around 1200 on Lichess and 900 on Chess.com, but I can do these things more on purpose now instead of stumbling on them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hey guess who's great at finding drawing positions from winning ones? It's this guy right here

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Apsyrtes posted:

HIARCS scores those moves really close (Bxf7 +4.8, Nxf7 +4.4)

I've never had much use for Stockfish. If I use it to analyze I find I often don't "get it" -- and when I dumb it down to my level and try to play a game, it throws away pieces most unrealistically. It's pretty bad at managing time in short games too.

So I've been using Stockfish on Lichess more and the easiest way for me to understand why a move was good/bad is normally to just play a different move. So let's say White to move, play Stockfish's recommended move. Then Black to move, ignore their recommendation and do a move that doesn't effect anything, then see what the follow up move is for White. That way I can see what the plan was if it was unhindered.

If I just play all of Stockfish's recommendations, I get their play and their counterplay and sometimes it's hard for me to see why a certain move was counterplay in the first place, so I do it this way.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

how do you think this puzzle made the cut?

https://lichess.org/training/34156158

been seeing many such non-puzzles since they added a zillion new ones late last year..

Me, looking at it: Wow, this is a non-puzzle? This looks very complex, I'd never be able to solve this. Man I have a long way to go but I'll try...let's start with taking with the bish-oh that's it oh okay.

I haven't actually had any of these and my puzzle rating is around 1800 or so.

Apsyrtes posted:

If you are in analysis mode in lichess and you turn on the engine, press "X" on your keyboard and it will show you visibly what the opponent is threatening (i.e. the follow-up) - you don't have to make a throwaway move. There's also a little target looking icon next to the switch that turns on the engine.

THANK YOU this makes it so much easierrrr

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

13 losses today. Why brain like dis

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getting my Lichess puzzle ranking close to 2000 now, and I'm still amused by the scoring and the angles used.

Spotting a one move checkmate: You're a fuckin' genius mate, that was worth like 15 points!!

Missing an elaborate 8 move sequence: Eh, don't sweat it, that puzzle was worth like -3 points.

Crafting a sequence where the enemy Queen is forcibly traded for my Rook: You FOOL. You goddamned IMBECILE. Incredibly unoptimal. You could have only lost a Bishop instead of a Rook.

--

Anyway in other news I finally hit 1300 in Lichess! And when I do play on Chess.com, I'm inching closer to 900...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm not good at these yet, but in terms of "what White should have played instead of Qd8," isn't it Rg1? Because mate is coming and you need to stop it?

Let's say black hides with Kh7. If White doesn't do anything to get rid of the Rook on g6, Black can go:

Ng3 check, White takes back with g3
Rg6 check, King has to move so Kg1
Then Qh2 is mate.

That looks right to me?

EDIT: Wait I see it now. Qe8 check, take rook on g6.

EDIT 2, my new favourite mate:

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys. Guys.

I broke 1000 :unsmith: