Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm 1100 on lichess in 10+5 and I play for a KID with black most games. Can someone help me understand the pirc and why it might be useful? What's the reason for going d6 first? I've been playing 1. e4, Nf6 and seeing if I can bait out an Alekhine defense which I'm kinda learning, but is the pirc only used against 1.e4 just to ensure you get to play Nf6 later? Do you ever play 1...d6 against other pawn moves?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I like openings 3 good reasons to learn them

1) An opening gives new players a roadmap that helps to prevent blunders in the first 5-6 moves.
2) Openings are fun and an enjoyable part of learning chess, just as much as tactics (IMO)
3) When you understand why opening moves are done, instead of just memorizing them, you get a sense of why a move is good outside of the opening

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Naroditsky speedrun videos are good for a few reasons but one I love is that he uses an absolute minimum of calculation. He basically goes up to 1800 before calculating 2 moves deep. Being able to calculate is obviously an important skill, but understanding that good players can beat me without a single calculation made chess into something I suddenly wanted to learn.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One thing I want to get better at is seeing notation and being able to visualize moves. I was doing that in my head today with 1. d4, d5 2. c4, dxc, 3. e3, b5 but I couldn't figure out why it was an inaccuracy because the line gets a bit complicated and depends later moves. Is this a type of exercise with a name? Opening traps that you just try to do in your head?

Here's one I see a lot in scrub MMR, I call it "how NOT to refute the danish gambit:

1. e4, e5
2. d4, f6
3. dxe, fxe

White is +8.1. Without looking at a chessboard what will happen next?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's the "oops my queen!" opening which is optimally played before your morning coffee.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read that article and it's pretty cool how a very many different ways of calculating relative piece value come out so similar. Wikipedia has a great article about the history of relative piece values:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_piece_relative_value

It includes a table for comparing many different methods, for example Philidor in 1817:

♕ - 7.9
♖ - 5
♗ - 3.5
♘ - 3.05

Or Lasker in 1947:

♕ - 8.5
♖ - 5
♗ - 3.5
♘ - 3.5

It seems like such an absurd thing to try to calculate in an objective way, but over two hundred years its pretty much unchanged.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm kinda surprised the evaluation is only +2.8, but who knows maybe their internet died when they kicked their modem in disappointment.

edit: oops I had the white king on the wrong square its +6.3

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone want to play some bad correspondence on lichess? I'm 1100 rapid which is about 700-800 on chess.com.

https://lichess.org/@/saltfish

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Carefully writing down f5 in a notebook

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think they pay a bunch of titled players to be exclusive on their site. Name a titled played with more than 100 concurrent viewers on twitch and they're playing on chess.com. The name recognition is huge and they have a bunch of community events. I get why lichess doesn't do that stuff, I mean obviously, but chess.com marketing/community/branding is extremely on point.

I was telling a friend that I prefer lichess and they pointed out that I pay them 5 bucks a month so its not really any different than chess.com... I mean its true. Feels better to donate though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just playing a normal run of the mill game of chess

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yup, looks like some chess happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003