Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aggro posted:

After Qh4, White has no way to stop Qxh2+ followed by Bg3#
E: no that doesn’t work :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chesstempo is super granular about puzzle categories so it might be worth a look. atrocious site layout compared to chess.com or lichess though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Still a beginner, but I was quite pleased with myself finding and executing mate in 5. Also mating with a pawn in the middle of the board is always just lovely

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my best guess is they expected a queen’s gambit and wanted to play like 3..Qb4+ for some reason

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started going to my local chess club the last few weeks and usually play a few different people in an evening. today i just played one person - the club’s best player - a few times and got spanked so bad :saddowns:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

as someone who has spent many many hours studying the gothamchess d4 opening course, i can confirm it’s close to useless to study openings when you’re sub-1000

your opponent will play any random nonsense before they play one of the moves you’ve prepped for, and because you’re also inexperienced you won’t know how to improvise and punish them for playing a bad line

i think puzzles are good but only if you solve the whole puzzle in your head, rather than playing what looks like the best move and then continuing if you get it right. you won’t improve at calculation by just making a best guess (source: me, who ground his way to a puzzle rating of like 1300-1400 by solving lots and lots and lots of puzzles at like 52% success rate, while not improving at all)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BUG JUG posted:

The reason it's a bad move is I trade off my stronger piece (the queen) for at most one of their awkwardly placed pieces and a check on my opponent. Had instead played Nb2+ Ke1, Qxc3+ I would have forked the king and the rook while still keeping my knight and queen, and putting my opponent in a weaker position, while their queen remains out of play as my knight remains protected. Of course had they played QxNb2 then I can take with my queen and still have the rook in a bad position as well.

Or am I missing something else there?
After Nb2+ Ke1, Qxc3+ it’s not a fork because your knight is between your queen and the opponent’s rook

this idea of keeping a picture in your mind’s eye where pieces will be after you move them is a really annoying bump in the learning curve, in my experience

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

here is my favourite daily game i ever played

*extremely eric rosen voice* oh no my bishop

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, I think I need to learn some checkmate patterns...

chesstempo.com is really good because you can do puzzles themed by specific mating patterns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if we did that it might be timely to make the new thread to coincide with the world championship next month maybe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

here’s a reasonably simple puzzle from a game i had the other day. mate in 4 after black played 7 ..g5. I found the general idea but messed up one step. still got mate a few moves later anyway

i have a surprising number of wins because people pushed their f and g pawns to chase a bishop or something

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 12, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dhamster posted:

https://lichess.org/N1ZxRPJC/black#32

Pretty fun sequence ending in an epaulette mate.
oh no my rook

nice!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Nd6+ doesn't work because rook can take. I think it's -

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

If rook takes it’s mate after Qxc7#

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i win at bullet posting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know poo poo happens in chess games but i am very amused at black’s little f7-h7 pawn shield while the king is chilling out on the c file

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maugrim posted:

"Le Bongcloud"
black thought they were playing white and vice versa

that gives me a fun idea for a chess variant - swap the legal moves of king and queen but mating the king is still the objective

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:gonk:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s a couple of the big hitters that use lichess. rosen is the biggest one probably

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is there a term for the dick move where your opponent is clearly losing so they just walk away from the board and make you wait for the timer to expire? gently caress people who do this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dhamster posted:

If I see this happening I start giving them extra time until they give up
lol this is great actually

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

The first thing I do with any puzzle is to spend a minute just looking for themes. Not even identifying moves or lines but just trying to find patterns in how the pieces are set up.
this seems like a great way to make puzzle skills actually carry over to games

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i mostly play chess against this one old dude i know, we meet in a cafe and play without a clock and a game takes like 2 hours or so

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the caro can’t

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how many danish gambits declined are in that series, i think there were like 5 straight games with white with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yasser has a little series on chessbrah on the fundamental elements of chess (piece value, tempo, king safety, some other things I can’t remember) that’s in-depth and at the same time chilled out. i really liked it